Goodell says ban on 3-point stance is possible

UConn James

i think goodell is becoming a pesky douchebag. leave the game alone. sure concusions suck for the people getting them, but thats just one risk your taking in a game in which you get paid HUGE. I would gladly die on the field if I were physicaly capable of playing the game, and i would do it for free too.

Never going to happen and it doesn't make that much sense either. Honestly if they did that it would be stupid and make the NFL more like the CFL. I mean why not just introduce a 3 down game with a 2.5 yard neutral zone (All Defensive players must be 2.5 yards off the Line of Scrimmage).

Its a contact sport move to grass or do something sense-able like that don't fundamentally change the game. The opposite of inaction isn't stupidity.

i think goodell is becoming a pesky douchebag. leave the game alone. sure concusions suck for the people getting them, but thats just one risk your taking in a game in which you get paid HUGE. I would gladly die on the field if I were physicaly capable of playing the game, and i would do it for free too.

don't be so dramatic guy.

Really?

You wouldn't do it for free. You would play a few games then you would be seeing an owner who doesn't put his body on the line making massive amounts of money off of people watching what you do and you would want yours. And I feel like there should be more precautions taken with concussions but there isn't anything you could do to get rid of them completely its a contact sport there is always going to be some sort of risk.

Honestly if you are diagnosed with a concussion there should be a third party that at a minimum sits you out for the next game or 2 weeks (If you have a bye or something). Also I think a switch over to grass to slow down the game a bit could help.

I would gladly die on the field if I were physicaly capable of playing the game, and i would do it for free too.

How many concussions have you had so far?

If you haven't had one I'd suggest you slam your head into a wall a few times for free just to make sure you would enjoy it as much as you think.

I think this would be absolutely ridiculous. Might as well just make it flag football.

i agree, its a risk the players get millions of dollars to take, and that risk and excitement is part of what makes football fun to watch. do this and it would be like nascar without the crashes, nobody would watch it.

No, you wouldn't.

And not one of these guys playing today would either.

Ridiculous post.

There's a lot more sensible changes to be made like cutting down on the "supplements" these guys take and the massive doping that occurs in the league and the college level.

you have no proof of any of that. Any supplement taken must be approved by the league otherwise the player is suspended.

Goodell is a horrible commish.

He could end up sinking the game. He is pushing for new stadiums across the league, is now in Jax business telling them they wont' make it with their attendance, has mentioned he wants a superbowl in London etc.

He could end up sinking the game. He is pushing for new stadiums across the league, is now in Jax business telling them they wont' make it with their attendance, has mentioned he wants a superbowl in London etc.

What? He's telling Jax they won't make it with their attendance?? That bastard!

But he's right----don't see many guys in 3-point stance tonight.

To reduce concussions -- and injuries generally -- the league need do one thing: ban artificial turf. Head injuries, ACL/MCL tears, staph infections, etc., all would be reduced significantly on grass. Of course, players would get muddy, and domes would be obsolete, but the players would last much longer. And isn't that the point?

Of course, this could never happen: TV fans prefer the bright green of nylon grass.

Maybe I'm not following the logic here, but how will eliminating the 3-pt stance reduce concussions?

In the down position, the head gets hit more frequently. This solution, however, is placing a band-aid over a severed limb. It won't make a bit of difference (what the NFL wants) while making it look like the NFL cares (which it clearly does not).

It's not just concussions that NEED to be eliminated. It's blows to the head. The research on people who play football at any level is not a little scary--it's completely frightening. I agree that the rule changes will change the game and make it less fun to watch but what is happening to kids (and anyone) playing football is horrifying and really needs to be changed.

Read Gladwell's article. It's got a stupid subtext of animal cruelty but the head trauma facts are gut-wrenching.

you have no proof of any of that. Any supplement taken must be approved by the league otherwise the player is suspended.

you keep believing that

there is no blood testing, so there is no testing for HGH and other performance enhancing drugs not identified in urine testing

In the down position, the head gets hit more frequently. This solution, however, is placing a band-aid over a severed limb. It won't make a bit of difference (what the NFL wants) while making it look like the NFL cares (which it clearly does not).

It's not just concussions that NEED to be eliminated. It's blows to the head. The research on people who play football at any level is not a little scary--it's completely frightening. I agree that the rule changes will change the game and make it less fun to watch but what is happening to kids (and anyone) playing football is horrifying and really needs to be changed.

Read Gladwell's article. It's got a stupid subtext of animal cruelty but the head trauma facts are gut-wrenching.

The concussions aern't going to stop no matter how many things you ban. The game of football isn't the problem. It's million dollar paychecks and getting cut when you are injuried. Players love the game, want the money, and don't want to get cut. Players hide their injuries because of it.

I have read alot of these kinds of articles. Everyone of them features a player who hid his injury.

as far as i'm concerned, you know theres a risk, but you do it anyway. I race my car, and it doesnt have a rollcage and it flips over and i get hurt, oh well. I was racing and thats the risk i take.

it happens every day, just some people get paid millions of dollars for it.

banning hits would be like UFC or boxing making all competitors wear full body armor and they could only stare eachother down and taunt eachother... they know the players know they're probably gonna get hurt at some point in time, it just happens. but they're getting paid, so they're gonna play

While im all for gargantuan men trying to kill each other for a coupla million, what good is that million if you're a concussed pile of goo who can't even enjoy his hard earned money??

Just thought I'd play the devils advocate here.

There's a lot more sensible changes to be made like cutting down on the "supplements" these guys take and the massive doping that occurs in the league and the college level.

Exactly. I think it is hilarious that they always talk about how much bigger and stronger the players are today...why is that? I am sure it's not the steroids!!

These guys are freaks of nature. If you want players to stop getting concussed...stop letting them take steroids.

If you think they don't, you are fooling yourself. I remember seeing a poll a while back, and like 80% of fans though baseball had a steroid problem, and football was around 15% or so...that is rich.

The game will start to look more and more like soccer if they keep gong.

actually soccer has just as violent of collisions, with many cases more severe injuries due to the lack of padding. The injury rate is generally higher for soccer than any other major sport in the world besides rugby.

Besides if they neutered soccer or rugby to this point, you'd have a world full of pissed off players and fans. Sad fact is that injuries do happen, and life sucks for many of the players after the game has passed them by. While I disagree with the one guy saying he'd play for free, I think the vast majority of us would play the game for a 1/4th of the amount today's players get paid. The NFL is very unique in the sense that it is a business that is expected to spend 60% of its revenues on only one type of labor group. At the same time, you still have to pay for your coaches, administration, security, and office workers, let alone your other random bills. I can guess that the Jaguars are losing money or coming close to it with their economic situation where teams like Buffalo, Indy, NO, SD, and KC generally have smaller profit margins than the average especially when their teams suck.

The concussions aern't going to stop no matter how many things you ban. The game of football isn't the problem. It's million dollar paychecks and getting cut when you are injuried. Players love the game, want the money, and don't want to get cut. Players hide their injuries because of it.

I have read alot of these kinds of articles. Everyone of them features a player who hid his injury.

Then you didn't read the article like you said. The brain damage is from hits--not concussions. And the issue is that they are seeing these awful hardened brains in cadavers of children who play football...at a rate of almost 100% (in a sample of 50 ex-players which is small but 100%!!!).

I don't give a spit if adults go get concussions but 99.9% of people playing football are under 18 and/or will never get paid. The price they pay for their parent's either ignorance of this problem or pushing them into football is a !@#$ed up brain at age 50. That's a problem and the NFL can help by setting some example.

actually soccer has just as violent of collisions, with many cases more severe injuries due to the lack of padding. The injury rate is generally higher for soccer than any other major sport in the world besides rugby.

Besides if they neutered soccer or rugby to this point, you'd have a world full of pissed off players and fans. Sad fact is that injuries do happen, and life sucks for many of the players after the game has passed them by. While I disagree with the one guy saying he'd play for free, I think the vast majority of us would play the game for a 1/4th of the amount today's players get paid. The NFL is very unique in the sense that it is a business that is expected to spend 60% of its revenues on only one type of labor group. At the same time, you still have to pay for your coaches, administration, security, and office workers, let alone your other random bills. I can guess that the Jaguars are losing money or coming close to it with their economic situation where teams like Buffalo, Indy, NO, SD, and KC generally have smaller profit margins than the average especially when their teams suck.

Soccer has "just as violent of collisions"?? Come on! Those guys go down at the gentlest touch, roll around like they've severed a limb......then miraculously jump up unharmed after they see the ref whip out the yellow card on the perp.

One of many reasons Americans don't watch soccer.

If you really believe that you have had one to many concussions.

Fail

And there are plenty of stories out there of players who were forced to play through it. Ted Johnson in New England comes to mind immediately. So yes, there are problems on both sides.