I've got a growing feeling that this years offseason splash

The closer we get to the combine and draft, the more I sense momentum building amongst league personnel guys behind one Tim Tebow. I'm not even sure how this could be happening at this phase in the game because he hasn't done anything but train privately since the end of the season, so what gives?

I believe what's going on is that people have had time to step back and really digest his college career, which in turn is causing them to see the sum of his parts (leadership, maturity, unique physical tools, production, etc.) instead of regurgitating Brian Billick's arm-slot, slow-motion breakdown from the Sugar Bowl.

A strong Senior Bowl week, dozens of impressive one-on-one interviews, and the insane combine numbers this guy is inevitably going to put up will absolutely rocket the kid up some draft boards. Maybe not everyone's, but all it takes is one.

Now, let's focus on the Bills current situation: We've got an ancient, set-in-his-ways, old school owner. An ancient, good ol' boy GM, who as a scout, valued QBs with over-the-top competitive drives (Brees, Rivers) and was willing to think outside the box and draft players who didn't fit the "prototypical NFL QB" (Brees because of his height and even Rivers to a certain extent because he had a bit of an unorthodox release point coming out of college). When you throw in our good ol' boy, southern HC who believes supremely in his ability to develop QB talent, I think we are looking at a recipe for Tebow to the Bills.

Also, if you've watched ESPN today, I'm sure you've seen the numerous "Tebow updates." And that's just been for the Senior Bowl weigh-ins! He will obviously be a marketing department's dream no matter where he goes, but I think he would be particularly effective in a blue-collar region such as Western NY.

Just a hunch and my two cents.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The closer we get to the combine and draft, the more I sense momentum building amongst league personnel guys behind one Tim Tebow. I'm not even sure how this could be happening at this phase in the game because he hasn't done anything but train privately since the end of the season, so what gives?

I believe what's going on is that people have had time to step back and really digest his college career, which in turn is causing them to see the sum of his parts (leadership, maturity, unique physical tools, production, etc.) instead of regurgitating Brian Billick's arm-slot, slow-motion breakdown from the Sugar Bowl.

A strong Senior Bowl week, dozens of impressive one-on-one interviews, and the insane combine numbers this guy is inevitably going to put up will absolutely rocket the kid up some draft boards. Maybe not everyone's, but all it takes is one.

Now, let's focus on the Bills current situation: We've got an ancient, set-in-his-ways, old school owner. An ancient, good ol' boy GM, who as a scout, valued QBs with over-the-top competitive drives (Brees, Rivers) and was willing to think outside the box and draft players who didn't fit the "prototypical NFL QB" (Brees because of his height and even Rivers to a certain extent because he had a bit of an unorthodox release point coming out of college). When you throw in our good ol' boy, southern HC who believes supremely in his ability to develop QB talent, I think we are looking at a recipe for Tebow to the Bills.

Also, if you've watched ESPN today, I'm sure you've seen the numerous "Tebow updates." And that's just been for the Senior Bowl weigh-ins! He will obviously be a marketing department's dream no matter where he goes, but I think he would be particularly effective in a blue-collar region such as Western NY.

Is that a growing feeling or a going feeling? You may need to see your doctor about that.

Yeah God forbid we get a real QB behind center. I mean its been almost 15 years since we had one....

You still haven't answered the question: which "real QB" do you take w/ the 9th overall pick? More than likely, neither Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford will be there.

I'm a fan of Tebow and his college career however I never thought much of him on the NFL level. That being said I've started to warm up to the idea of the Bills drafting him and this post is precisely why. The kid knows how to win, most Bills fans forget what that looks like on a player. He reminds me of Doug Flutie in Donovan McNabbs body and who wouldn't want that monster starting for their team?

Yeah God forbid we get a real QB behind center

Trust me... there ain't a franchise QB in this draft. Aside from Braford (who is as brittle as fine chrystal), the talent out there isn't any better than what's on the Bills roster now.

Besides... If Bills bring in another young QB and his blind side isn't protected they've just screwed their investment at QB.

Bills need a lot more man at both tackles than they have now. But their greatest need is left tackle. No matter how many great skill position players they have, without competence up front, they are toast.

I'm a fan of Tebow and his college career however I never thought much of him on the NFL level. That being said I've started to warm up to the idea of the Bills drafting him and this post is precisely why. The kid knows how to win, most Bills fans forget what that looks like on a player. He reminds me of Doug Flutie in Donovan McNabbs body and who wouldn't want that monster starting for their team?

Well Flutie had an ok Career record in the NFL, but was often quickly replaced as he was easy to defend once you figured him out. He has an 0-2 record in the Playoffs with a career QB rating of 76.3.

I would hope if we spend a first round pick on a guy he works out better than that.

In my admittedly confused opinion, and that's because this year more than any other in recent memory I change my mind just about every day, I think we have the following HIGH priorities:

LT

LB

NG (or just plain DT depending upon whether we go 3-4 or stick with 4-3)

then

QB - maybe....depending on Brohm

WR - but how high depends on opinion of current young studs

In conclusion......?????¿¿¿¿¿

Trust me... there ain't a franchise QB in this draft. Aside from Braford (who is as brittle as fine chrystal), the talent out there isn't any better than what's on the Bills roster now.

Besides... If Bills bring in another young QB and his blind side isn't protected they've just screwed their investment at QB.

Bills need a lot more man at both tackles than they have now. But their greatest need is left tackle. No matter how many great skill position players they have, without competence up front, they are toast.

the panthers have one of the best OL's in the NFL, produced TWO 1100 yard rushers this year....and missed the playoffs. Why? THE QB SUCKS! So you can have a great OL, Great running game but if the QB sucks, then so does the team.

Time to get a QB in here.

You still haven't answered the question: which "real QB" do you take w/ the 9th overall pick? More than likely, neither Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford will be there.

And I'm not even sold on Bradford or Clausen- I think Brohm has as good or better a chance to develop into a quality QB as they do, which is not to say I think Brohm has a good chance of becoming a quality QB.

:death:

Lets really look at the Bills current situation. We need an offensive left tackle (pick 1) We need a right tackle (pick 2) we need a defensive tackle (pick 3) we need a defensive end if AS retires...and probably even if he doesn't retire (pick 4). These picks a must haves. Is Tebow going to drift down into the fifth round? I don't think so. We don't have the luxury to take a flyer on the guy. Some team in the late first or early to mid second will take him.

the panthers have one of the best OL's in the NFL, produced TWO 1100 yard rushers this year....and missed the playoffs. Why? THE QB SUCKS! So you can have a great OL, Great running game but if the QB sucks, then so does the team.

Time to get a QB in here.

When the Panthers finally benched Jake Delhomme and replaced him with Matt Moore the Panthers went 4-1 and saved the job for John Fox. If you have sound qb play behind a very good OL and a good running game the team is more likely than not going to be good. If the HC would have switched qbs sooner there is a very good chance that the Panthers would have been in the playoffs.

I, like you, want to acquire the best qb available. More often than not the superior qb is not easily available. Building an exceptional OL (not an easy task) in itself upgrades the caliber of play of the qb and the offense. A secondary effect is that it elevates the play of the defense because it keeps the defense off the field more.

tebow is a great kid, but he is not a day one talent, he has alot to work on and NOBODY, not any team should pick him before round 3. There are far too many holes in his game to warrant anything higher than rd 3, and thats being generous, same can be said for Mccoy, and pretty much every other qb in this draft, sans clausen. This crop just doesnt have that much pure talent, they are all projects.

One of them will be there and if not, trade up for once.

Just my opinion, but if I were the Bills' GM and inclined to trade up, it would be for someone like OT Russell Okung or DT Ndamukong Suh. I would get stronger up front FIRST before I did anything. The Jets took this approach, drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson, then Nick Mangold and adding Alan Faneca in free agency. They did not keep using high pick after high pick on skill players and leave the lines to the wolves.

Then again, maybe there's some great second round gems to be had for the lines, after we get a QB first. Oops, we said trade up for a QB, right? There goes that 2nd rounder and, depending on the target and how far you have to move to get 'em, there may go a future high pick as well.

Well, there's always the 4th round and beyond.

Clausen>>>Fitz>>>>>>Brohm>>>>>>>Edwards. IMO

In my admittedly confused opinion, and that's because this year more than any other in recent memory I change my mind just about every day, I think we have the following HIGH priorities:

LT

LB

NG (or just plain DT depending upon whether we go 3-4 or stick with 4-3)

then

QB - maybe....depending on Brohm

WR - but how high depends on opinion of current young studs

In conclusion......?????¿¿¿¿¿

Brohm, why are people still high on him. The facts are He was on a practice squad, got beat out by day 2 picks. No one else tried to sign him. Could it just be GB tried to match the offer to keep a QB who was experienced with the Offense.

I really hope you are right...but I would bet that we take that OT or McClain in the 1st...then we trade up for Tebow as he slips down the draft board, ala JP Losman or Brady Quinn.

Sign Vick and draft Tebow. :death:

Just my opinion, but if I were the Bills' GM and inclined to trade up, it would be for someone like OT Russell Okung or DT Ndamukong Suh. I would get stronger up front FIRST before I did anything. The Jets took this approach, drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson, then Nick Mangold and adding Alan Faneca in free agency. They did not keep using high pick after high pick on skill players and leave the lines to the wolves.

Then again, maybe there's some great second round gems to be had for the lines, after we get a QB first. Oops, we said trade up for a QB, right? There goes that 2nd rounder and, depending on the target and how far you have to move to get 'em, there may go a future high pick as well.

Well, there's always the 4th round and beyond.

They should trade down in the 1st round and acquire a few extra picks. This team has too many major holes for one top pick to make any significant difference. Trade down into the middle of the 1st and an OT like Bulaga would likely still be on the board and depending on the terms of a draft choice swap, maybe with an additional 2nd rounder they can look at LB and DT. Obviously, to pull off any trade you've got to find a partner.

While I like the idea of getting a franchise QB and solving that problem after what seems like forever, going into 2010 I can't see many scenarios where that is going to tranlate into any real improvement without first upgrading the lines on both sides of the ball. Put a rookie QB behind this O-line without any upgrades at tackle and he's on IR before week 6.....

You forgot one point in your analysis.

Ticket sales. Good or bad, Tebow will sell tickets....ooodles of them. I believe the "noise" around Tebow this week will be deafening. If you add in outstanding combine scores this kids is going to ROCKET up the draft charts.

I'd still rather have McClain but I don't get to make the pick.

If tim tebeow was considered a first round draft pick he would not be playing in the senior bowl

If he is playing in that game it means that who ever is advising him is being told that he has to do more than wht he did in college to get drafted early.

Why wont you Tebow-holics let it go?!!! He does not have an NFL QB skillset. Hes a great kid and a tremendous competetor with a strong arm, but he is a project or a situational player at best.

Sorry, but there are plenty of classy, athletic, competetive, strong armed guys in college football who didnt have the luxury of playing with "legitimate" NFL talent in front and behind him (see: Ken Dorsey, minus the strong arm). Look at Jake locker he is faster, bigger, plays in an pro-style offense but without the supporting cast he is on an average team, if Tebow played for U of Washington for the last four years no one is calling him the greatest college player of all time.

They should trade down in the 1st round and acquire a few extra picks. This team has too many major holes for one top pick to make any significant difference. Trade down into the middle of the 1st and an OT like Bulaga would likely still be on the board and depending on the terms of a draft choice swap, maybe with an additional 2nd rounder they can look at LB and DT. Obviously, to pull off any trade you've got to find a partner.

While I like the idea of getting a franchise QB and solving that problem after what seems like forever, going into 2010 I can't see many scenarios where that is going to tranlate into any real improvement without first upgrading the lines on both sides of the ball. Put a rookie QB behind this O-line without any upgrades at tackle and he's on IR before week 6.....

I did preface my response by said IF I were GM and inclined to trading up. For the record, I would like the Bills to stay @ the ninth spot and get the best available player. Moving down is every bit the crap shoot as moving up, and depending on where you're looking to move, there's no guarantee the compensation is anything near what you'd hope for. Check the value chart. While it's not an exact science, it does kinda give you an idea of what kind of compensation a team would receive for moving down.

Then, of course, there's the unpredictable runs on positions that tend to happen. So, you move down from #9 looking to nab a guy like Bulaga, then watch as an unexpected run on OTs begins and you miss out on your guy. Oops.

I couldn't say personally who will be best in the long run, but, I also feel like we could see Tebow here, and this is why: We didn't go near Billick, and he seemed surprised by that. He was pretty clear on his disapproval of Tebow. Secondly, Tebow is as close to a legend as college players can get, AND he's highly endorsed by Jim Kelly. We should have a shot at him at #9. Also, people keep saying how Gailey might try to bring in Mike Vick, and that that would make sense due to the kind of offense he likes to run, and the Bills needs. Well, isn't Tebow likely to be as effective, if not more so, as a passer than Vick? Plus, he's mobile and without any baggage, and all the positives. I feel like Gailey might've sold himself on being able to build an offense, or mold one, around players specific strengths, not their weaknesses. Add it up, and I have a feeling that Tebow could go to us...

I did preface my response by said IF I were GM and inclined to trading up. For the record, I would like the Bills to stay @ the ninth spot and get the best available player. Moving down is every bit the crap shoot as moving up, and depending on where you're looking to move, there's no guarantee the compensation is anything near what you'd hope for. Check the value chart. While it's not an exact science, it does kinda give you an idea of what kind of compensation a team would receive for moving down.

Then, of course, there's the unpredictable runs on positions that tend to happen. So, you move down from #9 looking to nab a guy like Bulaga, then watch as an unexpected run on OTs begins and you miss out on your guy. Oops.

If Bulaga is there at #9, I'd be very content with selecting him and putting to bed our LT position for the next 5 years.

However, I've got this feeling that the Bills will try to trade back into the first round for a Tebow or McCoy. Especially if they can fix the LB position via FA.

Just a feeling.

Could be gas.

Lets not gamble on this pick with Tebow, please.

If McClain is there we need to draft him. He has the look of an impact player. Otherwise, go with the best OT on the board.