Jabari Greer

aussiew

Even though I was rooting for the Vikes to win - I kept my soft spot for Jabari Greer. Every since meeting him in his first Bills training camp, I have said on this board that he would become a memorable player. He played hard for the Bills, had a great character, was respected by his team mates, stayed out of trouble and didn't care about being a "star" - a true workhorse. And we reward him by letting him go when he became a FA.

But we did him a favor - he's going to the big game.

Way to go Jabari - I wish you the best!!!

Even though I was rooting for the Vikes to win - I kept my soft spot for Jabari Greer. Every since meeting him in his first Bills training camp, I have said on this board that he would become a memorable player. He played hard for the Bills, had a great character, was respected by his team mates, stayed out of trouble and didn't care about being a "star" - a true workhorse. And we reward him by letting him go when he became a FA.

Ditto

It is the way the Bills do business. They refuse to pay a good player when their contract expires and replace that player with a cheaper draftee or free agent player. In that type of losing mentality you replace players on your team instead of adding talent to your roster. Instead of drafting another CB such as McKelvin it would have been better to re-sign Greer and draft for another need on the OL or DL. That is how a team advances. But the Bills business mentality is to extract as much money out of the roster as possible. Their business model is to replace players with cheaper players. It is the same old nonsense over and over.

+1

Also where the H did Anthony Hargrove come from???

The guy took a quantum leap last year and picked up where he left off this year. He quietly became a shutdown corner. His agility and vertical leap are ridiculous and helps him more than make up for his short stature. He was easily my favorite player during the '08 season - he brought it every game and was all heart.

The Bills need to learn how to keep their good players. If we locked up Greer, we wouldn't have had to draft McKelvin. I have no problem with McKelvin, but not drafting him means we fill another of our many holes.

And if we didn't take McKelvin, look at all the stud left tackles that we could have taken...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft#First_round

I've always thought Greer was a far better player then the Bills thought. He had to prove far beyond others that he was good. The Bills think that a drafted player deserves special treatment, sorry he is not a Bill. But, I glad he gets a chance to play in the big one, good luck Jabari.

I've been preaching it all last year and this year. He's one of the very best corners in the league. So underrated. The guy rarely gets beat. I just knew the Bills were going to let him go and resign McGee. It's how this stupid team always does things. They let the better player go, then resigned the inferior player for more money.

I hate these cap casualties. I always liked Jabari. I'll be rooting for him in the SB.

Not sure I'd call it a "cap casualty" as the Bills were not close to exceeding the cap. Greer was clearly low-balled as to his market value and that largely because the Bills had spent their 1st round pick the year before on McKelvin, planning to kick Greer to the curb. And, they ended up playing most of the season with neither player, which is par for the course.

I followed him through his college career at Tennessee and knew all along he was something special. However he is one of the very few decisions by the front office that I understand. At the time we had McGee and McKelvin and Greer would be a nickel back here. Greer was more than ready for a bigger role in the defense, but there wasn't any immediate opening for him. The choice the Bills had was to pay top dollar to keep him or let him go where he would have an actual opprtunity to earn the top dollar he was going to be paid.

Contrast the Jason Peters debacle. Rather than renegotiate or make a run at keeping him (after we had pretty much alienating him by the stupid decision not to renegotiate) we let him go with NO left tackle to take his place. Then when we have an opportunity to draft a good left tackle, we choose Maybin as a tweener (Tween sucks and stinks, I guess).

Jabari will be around for a long time and will be a fine defensive back.

I followed him through his college career at Tennessee and knew all along he was something special. However he is one of the very few decisions by the front office that I understand. At the time we had McGee and McKelvin and Greer would be a nickel back here. Greer was more than ready for a bigger role in the defense, but there wasn't any immediate opening for him. The choice the Bills had was to pay top dollar to keep him or let him go where he would have an actual opprtunity to earn the top dollar he was going to be paid.

Contrast the Jason Peters debacle. Rather than renegotiate or make a run at keeping him (after we had pretty much alienating him by the stupid decision not to renegotiate) we let him go with NO left tackle to take his place. Then when we have an opportunity to draft a good left tackle, we choose Maybin as a tweener (Tween sucks and stinks, I guess).

Isn't that rather the point? You (no offense intended) could tell he was a good player, but the professional talent evaluators decided they needed someone else. Despite spending a couple seasons developing Greer, they were ready to go in a different direction. So instead of taking Ryan Clady, and putting pressure on Jason Peters, they take Mr. Fumbles and Peters forces his way out of Buffalo leaving the team playing practice squad players as starters.

It is the way the Bills do business. They refuse to pay a good player when their contract expires and replace that player with a cheaper draftee or free agent player. In that type of losing mentality you replace players on your team instead of adding talent to your roster. Instead of drafting another CB such as McKelvin it would have been better to re-sign Greer and draft for another need on the OL or DL. That is how a team advances. But the Bills business mentality is to extract as much money out of the roster as possible. Their business model is to replace players with cheaper players. It is the same old nonsense over and over.

Playing for the Bills is like marrying someone for the sake of getting a green card. Why would you stay afterward?

We dont keep players because they dont want to be here, and not because we dont wanna pay them.

+2

Perfect analysis. They draft players, develop them, by the time they get to a level of starting caliber, it's contract time again and the Bills don't compete in the market. With that approach, the only way they'll ever field a competative team is if they get very lucky in 2 or 3 consecutive drafts, hitting a lot of home runs with later rounds, and if they can keep the roster halfway healthy.

Despite all the badmouthing over the Bills personnel department, they actually had what looks like a damn good draft in 2009. If only they had scored an immediate starter/impact player with the Maybin pick, it might have been one of the Bills best ever drafts, or at least one of the best since the Chuck Knox or Bill Polian eras. The big knock on the personnel people is their amazing ability to blow it on early round picks that should be low risk, high probability draft choices. Yet oddly, they make some great later round choices. Think about it.......could it be someone (e.g. - Ralph Wilson) has undo influence for the early picks (translation: high $$$$ players), and then steps back after the blue chippers are off the board? Makes me wonder!

How many ex-Bills were in this weekend games? All of whom would be an upgrade on our team....any others?

Hargrove

Greer

Winfield

Pat Williams

Leonard

Gee, all the positions the Bills have frequently expended high picks on on recent years. 3 defensive backs!

BTW, add Saints DB Pierson Prioleau to the list of former Bills.

Heck, for all the wasted first and second round picks over the last few years, maybe the Bills could have had a Drew Brees, Brett Favre, or Kurt Warner (via trade). Instead, they'll spend the 2010 1st rounder on a QB who might be ready in 3 years - or just before the contract is up!

This is MOnday morning quarterback re: the draft, but if you wanted to keep Greer we could have drafted someone like Clady (or someone else). I don't understand the obsession/revolving door at the team has regarding drafting first round cornerbacks.

I love hindsight. 1) The Bills signed Greer as a UDFA and keep him on the rosters for years. Finally, he gets a shot to play and makes the most of it. Good for him. 2) The Bills try to re-sign Greer to a deal of around $4 million/ year. The Saints offer more because it was a huge need for them. 3) The Bills sign Florence, who was just as good as Greer was (and stayed healthy for the entire season) for less money. 4) The Bills set a team record for INTs and had one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

I'm happy for Greer but you don't have to bash the Bills for everything. I think it worked out well for both sides.

The Bills offer was reported to be ~$20M for 5 yrs. The Saints signed Greer for $23M for 4 years. The Saints offer was 44% higher than the Bills.

For comparison sake, guys like Dominique Foxworth got $28M for 4 years. Phillip Buchanon $8.5M for 2 years. The ancient Springs got an offer of $13M for 3 years. DeAngelo Hall got a contract of $70M for 7 years in 2008. So, claims that the Saints were desperate and frivolously threw around money are highly exaggerated.

We should have kept McGee and Greer #1 and 2. McKelvin the nickel like we did two years ago with Yobouty..........

I've been preaching it all last year and this year. He's one of the very best corners in the league. So underrated. The guy rarely gets beat. I just knew the Bills were going to let him go and resign McGee. It's how this stupid team always does things. They let the better player go, then resigned the inferior player for more money.

McGee is not an inferior player at all.

Greer is one of my all time favorite Bills players. He made so many big plays and was exciting to watch. I was really disappointed when they let him leave. Good for him though. I'll be rooting for the Saints to win..

Why did the Chargers draft Rivers? Shouldn't they have known that Brees would be as good as he is? But see below.

I love hindsight. 1) The Bills signed Greer as a UDFA and keep him on the rosters for years. Finally, he gets a shot to play and makes the most of it. Good for him. 2) The Bills try to re-sign Greer to a deal of around $4 million/ year. The Saints offer more because it was a huge need for them. 3) The Bills sign Florence, who was just as good as Greer was (and stayed healthy for the entire season) for less money. 4) The Bills set a team record for INTs and had one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

I'm happy for Greer but you don't have to bash the Bills for everything. I think it worked out well for both sides.

Bingo.