BillsPhan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/928310.html#

Our guy Jerry Sullivan was out defending his fellow NFL media saints in full force this morning. To ready Sully, you would think those media "experts" were back in the 1960's....you know, when nothing would be reported until the story was actually substantiated with real proof? You want to know why I like Buddy Nixs' rants over Sullivans' sarcastic attack this morning? Because of the incredible story ESPN News (now there's an oxymoron if there ever was one) was running all night yesterday. Tiger Woods is in s sex rehab facitlity today. This report came in from some ex sex rehabbers' blog, who supposedly was only in that same facility to "research his book!" On top of that "source", ESPN then openly admitted that the rehab center would not confirm that Woods was even there, and that ESPN could not substantiate the story at all! They came right out and reported a story like that, and admitted they could not prove that it was even true. And these are the type of lazy "professional gossipers" that Buddy Nix was fired up about yesterday.

Sullivan laughs and tells us he's just another Buffalo Bills puppet lying to the intelligent fans. I say I even if Nix was lying about everything he said yesterday, he was just reacting in kind to today's "reporters." I say, good for Buddy. It's nice to see someone from the Bills' organization actually standing up for it for a change!

sullivan is a negative POS - he has no crediblility

It's not surprising Tasker would defend the Bills. He's a good guy, loyal, and has worked for the Bills in various capacities through the years.

Still, the proof is in the pudding. Ralph is cheap and petty where it counts the most, and the Bills suffer for it.

I've come around and I'm actually a Sullivan fan now. He's not bashing the Bills because he has an axe to grind, he's bashing because it's so frickin' easy to do and it's the right thing to do when an organization runs around as clueless as they've been now for so long. Sully is performing a frickin' public service in calling out the Bills for the schitty organization they are and most likely always will be as long as Ralph calls the shots.

Nix? Don't really know much about him and and don't really care if he's an ornery old cuss willing to take on the press for everyone's amusement. All I want is to see him bring in talent football players. If he does that he can B word at Jerry et al during press conferences wearing a pink tutu for all I care.

Sullivan's right more than he's wrong. As you mentioned, however, that's not hard to do with this organization. Unlike Dr. Evil's group, this organization DOES tolerate failure, indeed it encourages it with repeated decisions made at the highest levels. I don't have a lot of faith in Nix after the Chan Gailey hire. He'd better bring it at the draft because his first major decision was the wrong one, in my opinion.

It seems only a few posters here seem to admit that they're deflecting their frustrations of the Bill's repeated failures out on a local columnist, than the team itself.

He's paid to write his opinion. He has a negative opinion because the team he covers is terrible. They've been terrible for 10 years.

Is it easier to go negative than to defend something you do like? Maybe. But it sells. And selling newspapers and advertising is the name of the game. Same goes for WGR.

And I commend Sully for challenging Nix on his 80% comment. Can all of these reputable writers that are apparently "good" in the eyes of TBD (Jay Glazer, Tim Graham, Charlie Casserly) really be wrong about all the coaches that turned down these jobs? The simplest solution would be no, and that Nix's comment is meant to deflect criticism. It makes more sense now learning that Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job, and sequentially his son turning down a good opportunity. At the time we just put it up to the reputation of the Bills around the league, but maybe Brian Schottenheimer was just defending his father? Family first, remember.

It's this attitude that anyone who honestly draws questions on a failing product somehow has credibility problems, but the credibility problems truly lie with the manufacturer of the product.

I don't disagree with any of that. But Sully's not a messenger -- he sits back in his easy chair and takes pot shots. He offers no credible solutions, and doesn't even really seek the truth. He has no knowledge of the inner workings at One Bills Drive but writes opinions as if he's an insider.

Sully has a position that gives him the opportunity to ask legitimate questions of those in charge, and instead of doing so he takes it personally that Nix said the media fabricates stories? Grow up, man (Sully, not you).

The Bills don't answer questions. They stonewall and offer little guidance and communication on their reasoning and decision-making. When the Bills gave Jauron an extension the organization wouldn't even acknowledge that they gave him an extension. How goofy is that? When the team is asked who made a decision on drafting a particular player the front office won't tell you. Now it is coming out (leaked) that Modrak preferred Cushing over Maybin in last year's draft. Even Nix said he wouldn't draft a player who had only one year of playing time in college. Then who made the pick? It appears that Jaruon did. Many people claim that the aged owner is actively involved. Then there are people who claim that the owner is not involved. Which is it? Russ Brandon was designated as the GM when Levy unceremoneously departed before Nix assumed the position. But Brandon rarely would explain personnel decisions as other GMs do in their respective markets.

Jerry Sullivan has frequently criticized the organization for being very insular and not looking outside for staffing. How is he wrong? There were no meaningful outside searches for that critical GM job when that position was open. The in-house candidate, Nix, was taken with little effort was being made for considering outside candidates. Sullivan has severly criticized the personnel men, John Guy and Tom Modrak, for their poor performance over the past decade. That certainly is a valid criticism.

Jerry Sullivan is not going to be snowballed like a lot of local sports reporters are in the hometown. He is not an appendage of this failed organization like a lot of his fellow associates are. It is not difficult for him to conclude that the owner is an incompetent because it is painfully obvious to most people. It is not difficult for him to conclude that the front office is incompetent when their record is so obvious.

Jerry Sullivan can be irritating with his persistent critiques. But that attribute (persistence) is required to do his job properly. He is not going to allow himself to be co-opted by a franchise he is paid to follow. I salute him for that.

"It was a kick in the teeth of the NFL media, most of whom are hard-working, credible people."

Most of these dopes are either nerds who love to take shots at the jocks (like Sully) or former NFL people who are either trying to get back in the NFL or have an axe to grind or both.

Sully is a joke as are most of these so called sports reporters who see something on Twitter and report it as fact. When did Twitter become an "NFL Source". I call it lazy journalism and I find it funny that these guys are all out of shape because they had no idea what was going on with the coaching search and were made to look foolish by a 70yr old GM who they all poked fun at.

It seems only a few posters here seem to admit that they're deflecting their frustrations of the Bill's repeated failures out on a local columnist, than the team itself.

He's paid to write his opinion. He has a negative opinion because the team he covers is terrible. They've been terrible for 10 years.

Is it easier to go negative than to defend something you do like? Maybe. But it sells. And selling newspapers and advertising is the name of the game. Same goes for WGR.

And I commend Sully for challenging Nix on his 80% comment. Can all of these reputable writers that are apparently "good" in the eyes of TBD (Jay Glazer, Tim Graham, Charlie Casserly) really be wrong about all the coaches that turned down these jobs? The simplest solution would be no, and that Nix's comment is meant to deflect criticism. It makes more sense now learning that Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job, and sequentially his son turning down a good opportunity. At the time we just put it up to the reputation of the Bills around the league, but maybe Brian Schottenheimer was just defending his father? Family first, remember.

It's this attitude that anyone who honestly draws questions on a failing product somehow has credibility problems, but the credibility problems truly lie with the manufacturer of the product.

The Bills don't answer questions. They stonewall and offer little guidance and communication on their reasoning and decision-making. When the Bills gave Jauron an extension the organization wouldn't even acknowledge that they gave him an extension. How goofy is that? When the team is asked who made a decision on drafting a particular player the front office won't tell you. Now it is coming out (leaked) that Modrak preferred Cushing over Maybin in last year's draft. Even Nix said he wouldn't draft a player who had only one year of playing time in college. Then who made the pick? It appears that Jaruon did. Many people claim that the aged owner is actively involved. Then there are people who claim that the owner is not involved. Which is it? Russ Brandon was designated as the GM when Levy unceremoneously departed before Nix assumed the position. But Brandon rarely would explain personnel decisions as other GMs do in their respective markets.

Jerry Sullivan has frequently criticized the organization for being very insular and not looking outside for staffing. How is he wrong? There were no meaningful outside searches for that critical GM job when that position was open. The in-house candidate, Nix, was taken with little effort was being made for considering outside candidates. Sullivan has severly criticized the personnel men, John Guy and Tom Modrak, for their poor performance over the past decade. That certainly is a valid criticism.

Jerry Sullivan is not going to be snowballed like a lot of local sports reporters are in the hometown. He is not an appendage of this failed organization like a lot of his fellow associates are. It is not difficult for him to conclude that the owner is an incompetent because it is painfully obvious to most people. It is not difficult for him to conclude that the front office is incompetent when their record is so obvious.

Jerry Sullivan can be irritating with his persistent critiques. But that attribute (persistence) is required to do his job properly. He is not going to allow himself to be co-opted by a franchise he is paid to follow. I salute him for that.

I just have to quote the 2 best posts of the day.

I don't disagree with any of that. But Sully's not a messenger -- he sits back in his easy chair and takes pot shots. He offers no credible solutions, and doesn't even really seek the truth. He has no knowledge of the inner workings at One Bills Drive but writes opinions as if he's an insider.

Sully has a position that gives him the opportunity to ask legitimate questions of those in charge, and instead of doing so he takes it personally that Nix said the media fabricates stories? Grow up, man (Sully, not you).

No solutions? You cannot be serious. Sully advocated hiring Jim Harbaugh, who (and I'll fabricate something here) turned down the job. Sully is on record as recommending the Bills hire a consultant to find the GM and help transition from the era of TD/Marv into something new.

I see a lot of people marginalizing a columnist through generalizing what he does. There are excellent columnists out there who say things that aren't popular and are routinely criticized. Ever hear of Mike Royko? How about Jim Murray, long time writer for SI?

But you're the poster who mysteriously goes away when things go bad. Ironic you've come back after the season ended.

No solutions? You cannot be serious. Sully advocated hiring Jim Harbaugh, who (and I'll fabricate something here) turned down the job. Sully is on record as recommending the Bills hire a consultant to find the GM and help transition from the era of TD/Marv into something new.

I see a lot of people marginalizing a columnist through generalizing what he does. There are excellent columnists out there who say things that aren't popular and are routinely criticized. Ever hear of Mike Royko? How about Jim Murray, long time writer for SI?

But you're the poster who mysteriously goes away when things go bad. Ironic you've come back after the season ended.

Just so I understand -- is your criticism that I don't come in here to B word and whine when the team is struggling?

I heard Steve Tasker on Tony Bruno's show in the first hour on January 14th of this year and he was insistent upon the Bills being a 'top shelf' nfl organization and that Ralph Wilson really takes care of his employees. I really don't know where all of this angst about the Bills come from. I would post a link to the Tasker interview but unfortunately you have to listen to the whole hour as he is at the end of the hour, and the link doesn't allow you to fast forward, and i doubt people would really want to listen to the whole thing....but I would trust someone that has actually worked for the organization rather than a reporter who's job it is to report about an organization.......but that's just the skeptic in me

Who are the employees that Tasker is referring to ......puslosnuy.,schoebal,kelsay,.evans..............or Peters , Pat Williams, Crowell, Clements ,Winfield would beg to differ

so you are saying that over the years there may be some unhappy or disgruntled, or even gruntled, employees? get out of town........pretty sure tasker was making a general statement of how he feels the bills have been run and how feels they are run....

by the way, assuming from your screen name you are from my neck of the woods, liverpool class of '81 here

Who are the employees that Tasker is referring to ......puslosnuy.,schoebal,kelsay,.evans..............or Peters , Pat Williams, Crowell, Clements ,Winfield would beg to differ

Maybe Sully is tired of writing about a NFL team that has made itself irrelevant to todays NFL. He sees the Bills making mistake after mistake and trying to get the fans to believe it is working. If Maybin has to be moved to LB because he can not play DE then why was he picked at that draft spot. We are paying elite DE money for a maybe linebacker.

I missed that. :thumbsup:

Hey Buddy? Would you mind doing my job for me. :blink:

Actually, I interpreted Buddy's "that's how we play this game" comment as "yes, I am full of ****, just like you guys are."

Honestly, I thought yesterday's press conference (Nix in particular) was an embarrassment. Colin Cowherd, who I loathe, but I know many here seem to adore, played highlights of the pc on his radio show earlier, accompanied by the theme song to Green Acres... Buddys comment about the Raiders is getting a lot of play in the national media too... not in a flattering way for Buffalo...

Funny how so many here are critical of the local Buffalo media because they never break any stories, yet get on the media in general for their inaccurate reports, using rumors as fact. The problem seems to be that readers can no longer comprehend what is a news story, and what is a rumor.