Marty Schottenheimer

Wing Man

Oh, OK. He says he didn't want to return to coaching on his radio show but deep down inside he really did. And the Bills are at fault for not hiring him. Give me a freakin' break.

Tim Graham, Where in this article is there even a mention or quote that he said this. What's your source? Why didn't he mention that on his radio show?

What BS!

According to the resident who hasn't been wrong yet, it was sort-of true. Marty was interested in the job, but it wasn't Ralph that turned him down.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tim graham was on wgr 550 this morning.

he said: fassel, martz, billick,and trestman all wanted the job along with marty. none were interviewed.

also, TG says it WAS without a doubt ralph's call not to hire marty, regardless of what the bills are currently spinning.

tim graham was on wgr 550 this morning.

he said: fassel, martz, billick,and trestman all wanted the job along with marty. none were interviewed.

also, TG says it WAS without a doubt ralph's call not to hire marty, regardless of what the bills are currently spinning.

Of course they wanted the job. Besides Trestman, they are all unemployed. Just because they wanted it doesn't mean the Bills had to call them. I'm glad Fassel, Billick and Martz were not called.

Of course they wanted the job. Besides Trestman, they are all unemployed. Just because they wanted it doesn't mean the Bills had to call them. I'm glad Fassel, Billick and Martz were not called.

agree completely with your take, but i think TG was making the point that regardless of what the media is spewing about the bills and the coaching search, there were very interested people out there who were more than willing to come to the b-lo

Oh, OK. He says he didn't want to return to coaching on his radio show but deep down inside he really did. And the Bills are at fault for not hiring him. Give me a freakin' break.

Tim Graham, Where in this article is there even a mention or quote that he said this. What's your source? Why didn't he mention that on his radio show?

What BS!

Me thinks you and some other posters don't understand what a source is.

Evidently, Schottenheimer wanted the job, but Wilson pulled the chicken switch.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...anted-bills-gig

Does everyone forget the trash talk from Marty Shottenheimer back in the late 80's when he said that Buffalo was a sh*t-hole that he would never want to go back to? I don't blame Ralph one bit.

agree completely with your take, but i think TG was making the point that regardless of what the media is spewing about the bills and the coaching search, there were very interested people out there who were more than willing to come to the b-lo

Right, I agree with Nix also that he received many calls. No matter the organization, coaches want to a head coach of an NFL team. Pay and perks are pretty good.

all these people who say they wanted the job, how do we know they WEREN'T interviewed? I mean, we didnt know that Gailey was even interviewed or in the running, so who's to say that we didnt interview them all in secret and not hire them for reasons only known within the organization?

seeing as how i am a part of this rogue side, and fumbled miserably in trying to get my point across, i want to stress that I am not taken it as gospel, simply as differing point of view, and as a result, clarification as to which story is accurate, which i have actually done some legwork on my own and received further validation that it may not be as it was presented to us.....but I am skeptical and I will leave it at that

I just find it funny how people demand to know the source from one side of a story but then take the other side as gospel.

I have no problem with Tim G reporting that - according to "sources close to Schottenheimer", Ralph Wilson is the one who made the decision not to interview/hire him. However, his source is not going to know that for a fact. It is far more likely that Ralph is simply willing to take the heat for Buddy not wanting to hire his friend.

Unless he has "sources close to Buddy Nix", to say that it was without a doubt that Ralph made that call is total BS. Perhaps that is why he said it on radio, and did not submit it to be published. The story he posted is only one side.

Another example of an organization totally with no sense of what it is doing. Even if you put to the side the facts that Marty has been successful where ever he has gone, runs a system perfectly suited for Buffalo and actually wanted to come here, how can this fraud of an organization not due it's due diligence and interview all possible candidates. Hell, they are not doing anything anyway. That's what a responsible business does, whether it is hiring the best candidate, or purchasing a company. I am done with this joke of an organization. The more I read, the worse it gets. Watching that press conference yesterday further validated how I fell. I am cancelling my Sunday Ticket and not wasting my money, and valuable time, on them anymore.

Pathetic!!!!

Another example of an organization totally with no sense of what it is doing. Even if you put to the side the facts that Marty has been successful where ever he has gone, runs a system perfectly suited for Buffalo and actually wanted to come here, how can this fraud of an organization not due it's due diligence and interview all possible candidates. Hell, they are not doing anything anyway. That's what a responsible business does, whether it is hiring the best candidate, or purchasing a company. I am done with this joke of an organization. The more I read, the worse it gets. Watching that press conference yesterday further validated how I fell. I am cancelling my Sunday Ticket and not wasting my money, and valuable time, on them anymore.

Pathetic!!!!

What system does he run that is perfectly suited for Buffalo?

Pathetic!!!!

bills not only team taking heat

bears can't fill either coordinator jobs:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1999979,CST...issey20.article

What BS!

why bs? i was told two months ago, the week Jauron was fired, that Marty would listen if contacted by the Bills, which is why i included his name as a candidate in several of my pieces.

and kudos to Tim for his work on this.

jw

I don't get the Marty love around here. I know he made the playoffs, but his teams were always so darn tight once they got there. One of the worst big game coaches ever.

Losing out on Brain is another matter though. Would have been nice to see what he'd do with this job.

Regarding the Marty love around here: I think it's mostly because fans are thinking, at least he usually got to the playoffs, which is more than you can say about Jauron. Even if he choked horribly once he got to the playoffs, he's still a step up from Jauron. With his long track record, he's as close to a sure thing as the Bills are going to get.

The thing is that Ralph wasn't looking for a coach to be a step up from Jauron. He wanted a coach that would give this team its best possible chance to win a Super Bowl. A playoff choke artist like Schottenheimer was not that guy.

Whether Gailey can be that guy remains to be seen, and largely depends on who he picks as defensive coordinator.

i just read somewhere that in 15 years as a head coach or coordinator/assistant coach, gailey's teams have gone to the playoffs 11 times

Regarding the Marty love around here: I think it's mostly because fans are thinking, at least he usually got to the playoffs, which is more than you can say about Jauron. Even if he choked horribly once he got to the playoffs, he's still a step up from Jauron. And with his long track record, he's as close to a sure thing as the Bills are going to get.

The thing is that Ralph wasn't looking for a coach to be a step up from Jauron. He wanted a coach that would give this team its best possible chance to win a Super Bowl. Schottenheimer was not that guy due to the playoff problems you mentioned.

Whether Gailey can be that guy remains to be seen, and largely depends on who he picks as defensive coordinator.

i just read somewhere that in 15 years as a head coach or coordinator/assistant coach, gailey's teams have gone to the playoffs 11 times

True. And in the same place, you also read that

Only once has a Gailey-run offense ranked lower than 16th in the league. The other eight seasons featured four top-10 points per game rankings, two years in which they ranked 11th and a pair of season where the finished 16th.

In the two years he called plays for Miami’s offense in 2000 and 2001, Gailey had Jay Fiedler as his quarterback and Lamar Smith as his featured tailback. Both years the Dolphins went 11-5 and finished 16th and 8th in the league in points scored.

And . . .

After five seasons of ranking no higher than 25th in the league in total offense and no higher than 23rd in points per game, Buffalo’s players on that side of the ball could not be happier to see Chan Gailey hired by the club as their next head coach.

I have the feeling that between Gailey's coaching and Nix's drafting, we're likely to see substantial improvement with the Bills' offense! :blink:

Haven't read this thread. I imagine its a conversation between the side who thinks Ralph Wilson is a moron for not hiring Schottenheimer and the side who is trying to make themselves believe that Gailey is the answer.

All I will say is, it is absolutely incredible to me that Wilson is still running this team. It really is sad that his legacy is going to be marred by his last 10 years of running the Bills.

Regarldess of your opinion of Gailey, it is really unfortunate that Wilson has meddled with the team to the extent he has. Gailey might have been the best we can do and I think his track record should be given more repect by fans. But, to flat out deny Schottenheimer a shot...even a shot at an interview....is criminal.

This is Very, very,very,very simple.....If Nix did not feel comfortable with the hire (would you jeopardize a friendship?) then I think everybody would be okay with the decision, then we are back to square one (which is grumbling about Chan) and this NeverGiveUp guy is correct.............

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>If Wilson is behind this and TG reports it>>>>>>whole new ballgame. Gloves are off!!! Fightin' time!! We shall see what eventually comes out in the wash

I'll be honest -- I didn't read through this entire thread. Is there a possibility Ralph's alleged "discomfort" with Marty is a result of the tension between Marty and AJ Smith in San Diego? I know the Ralph/Butler/Smith history in Buffalo, but perhaps Ralph respects Smith and thought if HE couldn't get along with Marty, he didn't want him here?

Just throwin' it out there...no facts to back anything up. I should write editorials for the Buffalo News.

I'll be honest -- I didn't read through this entire thread. Is there a possibility Ralph's alleged "discomfort" with Marty is a result of the tension between Marty and AJ Smith in San Diego? I know the Ralph/Butler/Smith history in Buffalo, but perhaps Ralph respects Smith and thought if HE couldn't get along with Marty, he didn't want him here?

Just throwin' it out there...no facts to back anything up. I should write editorials for the Buffalo News.

That might make sense, however, isn't it known that AJ Smith has been fairly critical/disrespectful toward Ralph Wilson?

No Martyball

ESPN reported this week that Marty Schottenheimer indeed was interested in coaching for the Bills, and that Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. was not keen on him.

Sources we contacted backed up the contention that Schottenheimer, 66, would have liked to return to the sidelines in Buffalo. Bills GM Buddy Nix is friends with Schottenheimer. So why no Marty? One possibility that seems logical is the Chargers' ownership gave a less than flattering endorsement of him to Wilson. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did give a strong endorsement of Chan Gailey to the Bills, according to sources in Dallas. Schottenheimer is a defensive guy. The Bills wanted offense. He also would have been a more expensive option, although how much more is hard to say.

The elder Schottenheimer's role adds another element to the refusal of Brian Schottenheimer to interview in Buffalo. If dad wanted the job, the son was much more likely to beg off.

And to repeat:

why bs? i was told two months ago, the week Jauron was fired, that Marty would listen if contacted by the Bills, which is why i included his name as a candidate in several of my pieces.

and kudos to Tim for his work on this.

jw

Bumping this up for the weekday crowd ...

No Martyball

ESPN reported this week that Marty Schottenheimer indeed was interested in coaching for the Bills, and that Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. was not keen on him.

Sources we contacted backed up the contention that Schottenheimer, 66, would have liked to return to the sidelines in Buffalo. Bills GM Buddy Nix is friends with Schottenheimer. So why no Marty? One possibility that seems logical is the Chargers' ownership gave a less than flattering endorsement of him to Wilson. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did give a strong endorsement of Chan Gailey to the Bills, according to sources in Dallas. Schottenheimer is a defensive guy. The Bills wanted offense. He also would have been a more expensive option, although how much more is hard to say.

The elder Schottenheimer's role adds another element to the refusal of Brian Schottenheimer to interview in Buffalo. If dad wanted the job, the son was much more likely to beg off.