Marty Schottenheimer

Wing Man

No it's not... I cannot reveal my source, but I have a very good friend @ the NFL and he say's the reason Schotty Sr. was let go in San Diego is because he was starting to become "increasingly confused" on the sidelines.

I'm not surprised. Whenver I've seen Marty on ESPN, to me he sounds confused, and he's got a teleprompter in front of him.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So pretend that Marty is coming in as the next HC. Do you feel good about that hire? Or only slightly better than with Gailey? I'm not sure he's that much of an upgrade over Gailey. He has a winning record, but that was accumulated mostly in the 80's and 90's.

Three years ago, his record with the Chargers was 14 and 2. Go to your room.

I'm not saying that it's better. I'm saying that what comes to mind with Schottemheimer is the colossal playoff collapses with the Browns, Chiefs, and Chargers. Fine, Buffalo hasn't even made the playoffs in 10 years, but just making the playoffs isn't the goal. Failing on the biggest stage cost him his job. Deservedly so.

Would people have really been satisfied if Marty were introduced as head coach today? If so, then I'm in the minority then. But he has the same number of championships as Gailey, with 19 more years of experience.

I've always used the Larry Brown comparison with regard to Marty. Larry Brown was a journeyman coach in the NBA. Always left teams in better shape than they were in when he found them, but could never win a championship. Then, when he was in his 60s and nearing the end of the road, he goes to Detroit and wins it all. I could see the very same thing happening with martyball....on top of that, I like Marty and I respect him, and those are two luxuries we've always had as Bills fans.

Evidently, Schottenheimer wanted the job, but Wilson pulled the chicken switch.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...anted-bills-gig

Well that's a kick in the teeth. I think I would've rather not known that because if he was our HC we would have a killer power run game and make the playoffs. But who wants that? Here's to three more years of mediocrity.

Evidently, Schottenheimer wanted the job, but Wilson pulled the chicken switch.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...anted-bills-gig

wow. this is the worst news ive heard in the past 10 years. and I'm OK with teh Gailey pick.

but i've wanted schott for a long time. a long time. with brian to come in and run the stuff when daddy is gone. would have been a great succession plan..

for the first time in my fanhood, I'm extremely, extremely upset with ralph. im still in shock. this is unacceptable.

I've always used the Larry Brown comparison with regard to Marty. Larry Brown was a journeyman coach in the NBA. Always left teams in better shape than they were in when he found them, but could never win a championship. Then, when he was in his 60s and nearing the end of the road, he goes to Detroit and wins it all. I could see the very same thing happening with martyball....on top of that, I like Marty and I respect him, and those are two luxuries we've always had as Bills fans.

Excellent comparison. Brown even won with the Clippers!

No it's not... I cannot reveal my source, but I have a very good friend @ the NFL and he say's the reason Schotty Sr. was let go in San Diego is because he was starting to become "increasingly confused" on the sidelines.

As opposed to losing a power struggle with AJ Smith then............. :lol:

Well, Buddy Nix was there and it sounds like he disagrees.

Ask yourself this... why would you fire a coach after a 14-2 season? The reason they gave was that he wasn't winning in the playoffs. I don't buy that. You just don't dismiss a coach after a 14-2 season without much more going on behind the scenes. When that happened, there was speculation that he and AJ just weren't seeing eye to eye. I just happen to have it on very good authority that it was because he was becoming "increasingly confused" on the sideline.

Believe what you will... I'm just telling you what I know. Look at my posts. I don't speculate and certainly don't spread rumors or false information. You can choose to believe what I've offered or you can dismiss it. I know where I got the info and trust the guy with my life.

Ask yourself this... why would you fire a coach after a 14-2 season? The reason they gave was that he wasn't winning in the playoffs. I don't buy that. You just don't dismiss a coach after a 14-2 season without much more going on behind the scenes. When that happened, there was speculation that he and AJ just weren't seeing eye to eye. I just happen to have it on very good authority that it was because he was becoming "increasingly confused" on the sideline.

Believe what you will... I'm just telling you what I know. Look at my posts. I don't speculate and certainly don't spread rumors or false information. You can choose to believe what I've offered or you can dismiss it. I know where I got the info and trust the guy with my life.

Could it be that your contact was being fed info allied with Smith who wanted Marty gone?

Would people have really been satisfied if Marty were introduced as head coach today? If so, then I'm in the minority then. But he has the same number of championships as Gailey, with 19 more years of experience.

Mr. Gale Gilbert... all I can say is you definitely would have been in the minority of those not satisfied with Marty being hired. I was holding out hope against hope that we could land Cowher. But Marty was #2 on my list... and I would've been thrilled. Because, I would have reason to believe that with Marty on the sideline, this team would be a 10+ win team within a season or two. Now we have Chan Gailey, who got sheet-canned along with Turk Schonert before the season started. Chan Gailey, who wasn't on anyone's radar for a HC gig in years and years. He hasn't sniffed an NFL HC job in a decade.

Honestly, I can't even see the debate here. This debate begins and ends with common knowledge that Marty is infinitely better than most other NFL coaches... and isn't even in the same league as a Chan Gailey. Now I hope and pray that Gailey will somehow turn this thing around, but this feels exactly like it felt when Dick Jauron got hired. I can't even believe the organization made this hire. They knew after the way this season and the Dick Jauron thing turned out that they HAD to bring someone of a certain reputation in here or the pitchforks were going to be out in full force. And their response... Chan... Gailey.

I also agree that this is a good comparison. I would have looked to it to try and feel optimistic if Marty had been hired.

If this is true.....

I can never forgive ralph for this. yes I didnt capitalize his name because he doesnt deserve it right now. I feel cheated. How dare he tell us he is going to bring in a big name coach and money is no object and do whatever it takes bla bla bla...then we get turned down left, right, and center so when he hires Gailey we are dissapointed but not mad as we know we didnt really have anyone to chose from.

But to hear this, I am speechless. It's like he thinks that as long as he said what he said and put a call or two to Cowher then he would be justified to go his usual cheap route.

All wilson likes are yes men. Thats why Pollian left, thats why Wade was fired. I can't believe that someone who actually sounds like they are on their death bead when talking has this much input.

I know it's his team but if he was true to his word and cared about us fans then he would trust who ever he hires as GM to hire a great HC like Marty and cough up the cash for him.

After all this team is his investment and by the looks of it, he doesnt care about it's value. He is looking forward to cashing out.

Mr. Gale Gilbert... all I can say is you definitely would have been in the minority of those not satisfied with Marty being hired. I was holding out hope against hope that we could land Cowher. But Marty was #2 on my list... and I would've been thrilled. Because, I would have reason to believe that with Marty on the sideline, this team would be a 10+ win team within a season or two. Now we have Chan Gailey, who got sheet-canned along with Turk Schonert before the season started. Chan Gailey, who wasn't on anyone's radar for a HC gig in years and years. He hasn't sniffed an NFL HC job in a decade.

Honestly, I can't even see the debate here. This debate begins and ends with common knowledge that Marty is infinitely better than most other NFL coaches... and isn't even in the same league as a Chan Gailey. Now I hope and pray that Gailey will somehow turn this thing around, but this feels exactly like it felt when Dick Jauron got hired. I can't even believe the organization made this hire. They knew after the way this season and the Dick Jauron thing turned out that they HAD to bring someone of a certain reputation in here or the pitchforks were going to be out in full force. And their response... Chan... Gailey.

exactly, this is ralph spitting right in the fans (our) faces. Even if he proved unsuccessful most fans would have had hope.

I can't pretend for a second to say who would end up being the better coach for the Bills. What I do know is this, we were lied to. We were told that we pursuing a proven head coach. Two years coaching the cowgirls over a decade ago proves nothing. All CG has proved is that he was 0-8 vs conference rivals in college and that he couldn't hold a job with the powerhouse Chiefs.

To turn down Marty is pathetic. I'm gonna go ahead and say it. Ralph, it's time to move on. Both physically from the team. And if that doesn't work for you, do it spiritually. You have turned some of the most loyal fans into a joke. Yes, you did us a favor by giving us a team, but that doesn't give you the right to abuse the favor.

Again, who knows if Rivera, Marty, Gailey would have done better than each other, but we basically cheaped out again, something we were promised wouldn't happen