B Schottenheimer declines interview

FluffHead

A former small college coach who once played the game? Gotta say, that's not reaching very high. Perry Fewell has at least 7 games of NFL head coaching experience, and showed he could go 3-4 to finish the year for a terrible Buffalo football team. He would be able to put together a staff quickly, knows the area, wants the job, and showed that he would implement the hard-nosed style of football that Bills fans have been longing for seemingly forever.

I see Fewell as the better pick.

Frazier is the coordinator for a team run by an offensive coach, which means he runs the show. Fewell coordinated for Jauron, which means he ran Jauron's defense.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frazier is the coordinator for a team run by an offensive coach, which means he runs the show. Fewell coordinated for Jauron, which means he ran Jauron's defense.

I view them both as second rate. Why would anyone think that either of them are something other than bargain basement candidates?

That's some pretty thin logic to suggest Fewell was just a figurehead because Dick was really secretly running the defense. When Dick was canned Fewell seemed to somehow be able to run the defense without him, and for some reason Chicago wants him to run there defense...or is that also a canard because Lovie Smith is an ex-defensive coach.

Oh, and we also know that because Parcells was a defensive guy, Belichik was just a figurehead defensive coordinator for the Giants.

On the point about Nix, personally I wonder if the Bills didn't bring him at the beginning of this past season with the expectation of elevating him to GM. It gives RW the chance to see if he fit his idea of GM without giving him the title upfront. It also would explain why Guy was the only other candidate interviewed (Rooney Rule).

Nope. Nix stated at his PC that it was a "whirlwind" thing that happened in the last week or so of 2009. This organization doesn't think strategically, unless it's Russ' boys in marketing trying to figure our how to sell a bad team.

Years ago, Browns assistant Weeb Ewbank accepted the Colts HC job, despite Paul Brown being against it. Don't think for a moment that an assistant wants to remain as such when presented with an opportunity to be a HC. Schottenheimer turned down the Bills won't be the last assistant to do so.

the exact opposite of what that poster was getting at. you think Cottrell was just a figure head an Wade was running our D?

Absolutely. TC was lucky to have coached under Wade, who is a defensive mastermind. TC was his linebacker assistant coach, who had very limited success on his own.

i came in here to ask the same thing. i have to imagine this is more along the lines of wanting to keep himself and his players focused on the task at hand. i hope so at least.

to answer your last question, i think you know better than to expect patience and rational from this board. :thumbdown:

Unfortunately we cant seem to get an answer, however on Rome is Burning Rome just claimed that Brian declined the offer to become the bills next head coach.

I need to take a break and go away for a month trying to make head or tail of what the freak is going on is impossible. What concerns me are messages that we know the direction we are going yet we do not see any movement so one has to surmise we are chasing people currently employed by playoff teams

I mentioned this a few days ago, it is absolutely crazy to me how many people have blatantly turned down the opportunity to coach for the Bills. A few posters rejected my opinion and said that until the playoffs are over, there is no way to tell who is and who is not interested.

Well, THIS rejection shows that B. Schott isn't interested now or after the Jets lose to the Chargers. And, its true, IMO he isn't even one of the top OC's in the league. He has a big name, the best O-line in football, 3 top RBs and Braylon Edwards. And they still lost to the Bills.

I also stated in the past that in reality, the opportunity to coach the Bills should seem more palpable to potential coaches.

But the perception around the league is that it is a terrible franchise to work for. A place where careers go to die. Ralph's chickens are finally coming home to roost.

Unfortunately...too true... :thumbdown:

Unfortunately...too true... :thumbdown:

Word gets around in the NFL coaching community. There is no doubt in my mind that potential candidates have talked to Wade, Gregg, Mularkey, Jauron, etc. and know what the inner circle is all about.

Why was Jauron fired mid-season? Why did Mularkey quit? Why did Gregg coach out his contract and walk away? Why was Wade fired? Coaches talk. They know. Like the Raiders, the coaching fraternity understands the situation.

Word gets around in the NFL coaching community. There is no doubt in my mind that potential candidates have talked to Wade, Gregg, Mularkey, Jauron, etc. and know what the inner circle is all about.

Why was Jauron fired mid-season? Why did Mularkey quit? Why did Gregg coach out his contract and walk away? Why was Wade fired? Coaches talk. They know. Like the Raiders, the coaching fraternity understands the situation.

Why was Jauron fired mid- season?

OK dude...

Step away from the crack pipe...

duh.....

That's some pretty thin logic to suggest Fewell was just a figurehead because Dick was really secretly running the defense. When Dick was canned Fewell seemed to somehow be able to run the defense without him, and for some reason Chicago wants him to run there defense...or is that also a canard because Lovie Smith is an ex-defensive coach.

Oh, and we also know that because Parcells was a defensive guy, Belichik was just a figurehead defensive coordinator for the Giants.

If you don't think that defense was custom built and run by Jauron, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd be happy to sell you. I actually have nothing against Fewell, and I certainly don't think he's a joke. But let's face it -- he coached the team to a 2-4 record (the same percentage wise as Jauron's 3-6 record). He was hardly an improvement. And no, he doesn't get credit for beating the Colts' backups in a blizzard. Both you and I know that if the game mattered, the Colts would have blown them out.

If you don't think that defense was custom built and run by Jauron, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd be happy to sell you. I actually have nothing against Fewell, and I certainly don't think he's a joke. But let's face it -- he coached the team to a 2-4 record (the same percentage wise as Jauron's 3-6 record). He was hardly an improvement. And no, he doesn't get credit for beating the Colts' backups in a blizzard. Both you and I know that if the game mattered, the Colts would have blown them out.

Well at least he COULD be a team's back ups unlike a certain past coach....just sayin'

Interestingly, the Steelers' backups who made plays late - James Harrison, Willie Parker - turned out to be damn good players. I didn't see anything like that on the Colts.

Good point, the only thing I'd say in response is Mularkey had a team with the motivation for a playoff birth and still lost whereas Fewell had nothing and won. It doesn't matter though we still suck either way :thumbdown:

Interesting comment from a Jets fan:

"I'm a Jet fan, but I will say this. At least the Bills play IN my home state! Not to worry, Lil' Schott is a good O coordinator, but he isn't even ready for the big show yet, so this was a break for the Bills. Rex Ryan took over offensive play mix up, limiting Sanchez to 20 throws per game and less, and that helped the Jets turn things around. Lil' Schott would be still calling Sanchez over the middle, for 30 attempts per game, that's how wise he is. Buffalo dodged one here. Why doesn't Wilson jsut put up some bigger bucks to get a Cowher or a Gruden, or a Billick?

I always root for the Bills, come rain or shine (or snow), unless they're playing the Jets. Billick would be a good fit in Buffalo, build another Defensive machine."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-j...p&type=lgns

His contacts with the Bills and ability to break stories are almost as good as the local media

He is apparently trying to convince himself by reporting the same thing over and over. If he says it enough it must be true. He's a broken record..

Why was Jauron fired mid- season?

OK dude...

Step away from the crack pipe...

duh.....

It's really pretty simple. Ever heard the expression, "cutting your nose off to spite your face"? The Bills weren't going to make the playoffs this year and it was fairly well understood that this was Jauron's make or break year. Was Jauron going to survive another 7-9 or worse season? Probably not.

So, the question is, once again, "Why fire Jauron in mid-season?" Even the Detroit Lions, as inept a franchise as exists in the NFL, gave Rod Marinelli a full season to make chicken salad out of the chicken **** he had. It's clear now that the Bills had no succession plan when they fired Jauron, very much unlike the last time they fired a coach mid-season in order to bring in Marv Levy. (The denialist might argue that the succession plan they had fell through, but that also says something about how the organization is run that they would make a bold move and have their safety net yanked out from beneath them.)

By firing Jauron mid-season, the Bills were publicly pointing the finger of blame at the coach. No one else. While I am no fan of Jauron (ask anybody on this board), he is clearly not the only problem with this organization. Other people around the NFL know the situation and know Dick Jauron. For instance, the front office structure was not Dick Jauron's doing and so on.

So, they fire Jauron in mid-season; there is no succession plan, and they are still trying to figure that part out; and, they promote the acting Matt Millen in the room to CEO. The big shake-up is to promote a guy from scout emeritus to GM.

From your comments, you apparently see this all as very sound judgment and decision making that has identified the root problem, addressed it, and will send this organization on an upwards trajectory.

Unfortunately, each passing interview request that is turned down further diminishes the denialist's optimistic slant to which you seem to subscribe. Others in the NFL have not been fooled. The problems with this team are not simply a question of getting better coaching. They know it. Even the rats know when to leave a sinking ship.

So, they fire Jauron in mid-season; there is no succession plan, and they are still trying to figure that part out; and, they promote the acting Matt Millen in the room to CEO. The big shake-up is to promote a guy from scout emeritus to GM.

From your comments, you apparently see this all as very sound judgment and decision making that has identified the root problem, addressed it, and will send this organization on an upwards trajectory.

Unfortunately, each passing interview request that is turned down further diminishes the denialist's optimistic slant to which you seem to subscribe. Others in the NFL have not been fooled. The problems with this team are not simply a question of getting better coaching. They know it. Even the rats know when to leave a sinking ship.

Very logical and realistic post. Coaches, personnel, everything has progressively gotten worse each year.

It's really pretty simple. Ever heard the expression, "cutting your nose off to spite your face"? The Bills weren't going to make the playoffs this year and it was fairly well understood that this was Jauron's make or break year. Was Jauron going to survive another 7-9 or worse season? Probably not.

So, the question is, once again, "Why fire Jauron in mid-season?" Even the Detroit Lions, as inept a franchise as exists in the NFL, gave Rod Marinelli a full season to make chicken salad out of the chicken **** he had. It's clear now that the Bills had no succession plan when they fired Jauron, very much unlike the last time they fired a coach mid-season in order to bring in Marv Levy. (The denialist might argue that the succession plan they had fell through, but that also says something about how the organization is run that they would make a bold move and have their safety net yanked out from beneath them.)

By firing Jauron mid-season, the Bills were publicly pointing the finger of blame at the coach. No one else. While I am no fan of Jauron (ask anybody on this board), he is clearly not the only problem with this organization. Other people around the NFL know the situation and know Dick Jauron. For instance, the front office structure was not Dick Jauron's doing and so on.

great analysis of a sad state of affairs.

Very logical and realistic post. Coaches, personnel, everything has progressively gotten worse each year.

Thanks.

Another point is that Ralph kept Jauron on despite the 08 collapse and despite his inner circle recommending that they go in another direction. In other words, he made a commitment to Jauron for 09. "Dick and I will go out together." Little more than halfway through the season, Ralph points the finger at Jauron and fires him. Consider also that Wilson demands loyalty from those that work for him to the degree that he has had obvious reservations about going outside of his own small bubble for any executive management hires. It doesn't seem like that loyalty and trust is bidirectional through the structure, does it?

Why didn't he listen to his own inner circle, the fans, and the Buffalo media the previous off-season?

Edit: Jauron is still on his payroll now.

He just extended him, that would have been a bad business deal. The sad reality of the situation was undeniable by mid season. He had to act to appease the media and fans. He was listening.

He just extended him, that would have been a bad business deal.

Sunk cost. Ralph is still paying Jauron. Thus that argument has no legs.

The sad reality of the situation was undeniable by mid season. He had to act to appease the media and fans. He was listening.

:unsure: The fans and media were clamoring for Perry Fewell? This is the first I've heard of it. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic isn't exactly what I'd call "listening". By the way, the billboard had three names on it.

But there was a noticeable difference in how the team played and how the coaching staff approached the games. The master design was Jauron's, there's no doubt and that's where he excels. But you cannot ignore his fingerprint on the final roster, the piss poor conditioning, the rash of injuries, awful game day management, insistence on playing vets when youngsters are better.

I could go on and on, but in the 7 games that Fewell coached, there was a quantum improvement in team play with a worse cast of players.

Sunk cost. Ralph is still paying Jauron. Thus that argument has no legs.

:unsure: The fans and media were clamoring for Perry Fewell? This is the first I've heard of it. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic isn't exactly what I'd call "listening". By the way, the billboard had three names on it.

Point being in the offseason it would have been a bad business deal to can him. Whether or not he's paying him now is not the point.

Come on...the fans and media just wanted DJ gone period. He was the "sacrificial lamb" to quiet people down, it worked.

Point being in the offseason it would have been a bad business deal to can him. Whether or not he's paying him now is not the point.

It is entirely the point. It was a bad business decision to extend him prematurely and, according to reports, on his own and against the advice of others. It was another bad business decision to keep a coach that was unpopular with fans, had presided over an epic meltdown and free fall, and who was part of the decision team that had further reduced the competitive product on the field. It was a third bad business decision to lay the blame at the feet of the coach when people know the coach wasn't the only issue.

Your statement that it would have been "a bad business deal" to try and correct problems and put a better product on the field is nonsensical.

Come on...the fans and media just wanted DJ gone period. He was the "sacrificial lamb" to quiet people down, it worked.

Actually, the right business approach isn't knee-jerking all over the map to deflect blame, but to deliver a good product to the customer.

It is entirely the point. It was a bad business decision to extend him prematurely and, according to reports, on his own and against the advice of others. It was another bad business decision to keep a coach that was unpopular with fans, had presided over an epic meltdown and free fall, and who was part of the decision team that had further reduced the competitive product on the field. It was a third bad business decision to lay the blame at the feet of the coach when people know the coach wasn't the only issue.

Your statement that it would have been "a bad business deal" to try and correct problems and put a better product on the field is nonsensical.

Actually, the right business approach isn't knee-jerking all over the map to deflect blame, but to deliver a good product to the customer.

Maybe you're misunderstanding me...I'm not defending RW at all. I'm just saying why I think RW did it...I never implied it was what I thought was right or that it made any sense. I never would have extended him...I thought that was a bad idea. But he did it and for him it would have been a bad business deal to terminate him in the offseason.

The original question I answered was "Why fire Jauron in mid-season?" And he did it to calm the masses...do you dispute that?

Maybe you're misunderstanding me...I'm not defending RW at all. I'm just saying why I think RW did it...I never implied it was what I thought was right or that it made any sense. I never would have extended him...I thought that was a bad idea. But he did it and for him it would have been a bad business deal to terminate him in the offseason.

Fair enough.

The original question I answered was "Why fire Jauron in mid-season?" And he did it to calm the masses...do you dispute that?

Yes and no. I'm not a mind reader and don't claim to know all the reasons. Was it a reaction to billboard sized messages from fans? That's likely a factor, I agree. That doesn't explain the timing of the decision however, which is the crucial point of the entire question. Fans wanted Jauron gone for quite some time, so if it was simply to appease the fans, he'd have been fired far earlier. Other factors that could have been in play: 1) advice/blame from members of the executive crew that Jauron was the main culprit behind the team's failures (objectively, he had no chance with bad situations at OC, QB, and OL, which were not entirely his doing, I bet); 2) the mood of the locker room that the situation was hopeless; and 3) the defeated mood of Jauron himself. The notion of appeasement of the masses appeals to fans hope that they are full participants in the decision making processes, but it far more likely a minor concern. The fans already demonstrated their fickleness fully when T.O. was brought in and season ticket sales skyrocketed even though appeals for Jauron's head were laughed at and ignored. There is always another rabbit in the hat.