Ralph Wilson is a detriment to the Buffalo Bills franchise

I have always liked Ralph Wilson. He has kept his promise of keeping the Bills in Western NY. Business has always been tougher here then some of the top markets. The excuses have been Buffalo is a small market, nothing to do, too cold, too much snow, can't afford big ticket freeagents.

It has gotten much worse the past 10 years and now we have a bigger issue. No coach with any experience head coaching in the NFL that has been successful wants to coach the Buffalo Bills! Problem is everybody knows Ralph Wilson probably won't make it to the end of any contract signed. With no guarentees or information as to what happens to the Buffalo Bills franchise on Ralph's departure from mortality, we are left with a franchise in limbo!!!

Even as a fan, I find myself after 10 years of not really competing on a high level, pulling away alittle farther every year. I use to have season tickets for 12 years from 86 to 97. After I usually bought 1-2 games a year after I moved away. This year was the first time since 83' that I didn't go to at least 1 game. I actually stopped watching the Bills on Sunday till Jauron got fired. The point is if Bills fans are waving in support because of Ralph's status and control then how can we expect someone with credentials to buy into the Bills branding.

If Ralph doesn't change this culture by making some drastic changes in ownership for the future now, he stands to lose more support before the 2010 season even starts. This is a very critical year before the potential lockout. Ralph doesn't sound good when he is interviewed, very labored breathing. He may not be around if and when a lockout occurs, he may never see a NFL football game after this year again.

Please Ralph, find a way to put in trust this franchise. Leave family members and lawyers in charge receiving paychecks. Take a loan out for any taxes or bonuses owed. Eventually leave Buffalo Bills trust to the City of Buffalo and offer public stocks to keep franchise viable. Sell stock when cash is needed over monies coming in. There are ways to make this work for Your family, you and the fans of Buffalo.

Do you realise that the NFL also has to accept the new owners? and they don't allow "public ownership", GB is the only one and thats been "grandfathered" in and won't happen again.

Its Ralphs team and his money, he can do with it what he wants, and he wants to keep it til he is on his death bed.

Do you realise that the NFL also has to accept the new owners? and they don't allow "public ownership", GB is the only one and thats been "grandfathered" in and won't happen again.

Its Ralphs team and his money, he can do with it what he wants, and he wants to keep it til he is on his death bed.

Ralph may be a lot of things but it is shameful the way an old man is attacked on these boards. He has done a lot of good in this world and in his prime was a much shrewder businessman than any of us could ever hope to be. Put yourself in his position, he put an "open for business" sign out in 1960. Though he is a charitable man, you and I and all the rest of us are not his family and certainly not his charity

Ralph may be a lot of things but it is shameful the way an old man is attacked on these boards. He has done a lot of good in this world and in his prime was a much shrewder businessman than any of us could ever hope to be. Put yourself in his position, he put an "open for business" sign out in 1960. Though he is a charitable man, you and I and all the rest of us are not his family and certainly not his charity

Well said. Boy that last sentence sure puts things in perspective.

Well said. Boy that last sentence sure puts things in perspective.

If the Bills ever hoist a Lombardi during Ralph's lifetime, you people do realize that he will be the only continuous thread that runs through all of your greatest Bills memories, right???

I have always liked Ralph Wilson. He has kept his promise of keeping the Bills in Western NY. Business has always been tougher here then some of the top markets. The excuses have been Buffalo is a small market, nothing to do, too cold, too much snow, can't afford big ticket freeagents.

It has gotten much worse the past 10 years and now we have a bigger issue. No coach with any experience head coaching in the NFL that has been successful wants to coach the Buffalo Bills! Problem is everybody knows Ralph Wilson probably won't make it to the end of any contract signed. With no guarentees or information as to what happens to the Buffalo Bills franchise on Ralph's departure from mortality, we are left with a franchise in limbo!!!

Even as a fan, I find myself after 10 years of not really competing on a high level, pulling away alittle farther every year. I use to have season tickets for 12 years from 86 to 97. After I usually bought 1-2 games a year after I moved away. This year was the first time since 83' that I didn't go to at least 1 game. I actually stopped watching the Bills on Sunday till Jauron got fired. The point is if Bills fans are waving in support because of Ralph's status and control then how can we expect someone with credentials to buy into the Bills branding.

If Ralph doesn't change this culture by making some drastic changes in ownership for the future now, he stands to lose more support before the 2010 season even starts. This is a very critical year before the potential lockout. Ralph doesn't sound good when he is interviewed, very labored breathing. He may not be around if and when a lockout occurs, he may never see a NFL football game after this year again.

Please Ralph, find a way to put in trust this franchise. Leave family members and lawyers in charge receiving paychecks. Take a loan out for any taxes or bonuses owed. Eventually leave Buffalo Bills trust to the City of Buffalo and offer public stocks to keep franchise viable. Sell stock when cash is needed over monies coming in. There are ways to make this work for Your family, you and the fans of Buffalo.

If you don't like the way Ralph is running his team, feel free to purchase your own team and run it how you see fit....

Christ, by your logic, any Tom, Dick, and Harry can run an NFL organization. Where do these people come from???

Ralph Wilson IS the Buffalo Bills. If you don't like it, get out of town.

Corp000085, You win the prize. You are dead on correct. Ralph started this team. Without Ralph Wilson, Buffalo does not have an NFL franchise. I wish fans would stop bashing him, there is absolutely zero reasons to do so.

I deeply respect Ralph Wilson and what he did for Buffalo by starting the Bills. If anything, fans say thank you by supporting the team, even in its most trying times, and Ralph sees this loyalty.

Thank you Ralph Wilson, thank you for creating this franchise, and thank you for keeping it here as long as you have.

without ralph there may never have been a franchise in buffalo. id say right around mid-70's and onwards theres no way the league would have approved expansion here. now for some the pain hasn't been worth having a team, but let's not lose sight of the fact that for others there'd very likely never been football here in the 1st place.

Buh bye. Off to the ignore list.......

That being said, I'm hoping Ralph wants the legacy to continue after he is gone. If the team is sold and moved, the legacy will be gone also.

Who really cares about anything after you are dead? I'm guessing after you die you are not aware of anything.

Don't you wish your father was richer, and do you hate him for not being able to give you better things in life? Are you waiting for him to kick so you can get your inheritance?

Gotta go with the idea that Ralph is not only the Buffalo Bills, but also a really major force in developing the American Football League, in the merger, in the progress of the NFL. He can do what he wants with the team, and he hasn't moved it yet. What will happen when Ralph passes? God only knows.

I can't read this entire post. The whole thing is replete with grammatical incorrections. On a side note, I often wave in support of things. I do not, however, ever waver. :D

I wrote this piece not to bash Ralph Wilson for giving us the Buffalo Bills. The fact remains that Ralph is 91 years old. Most companies are not run by 91 year old men. Ralph can and will do what he wants but he is watching his franchise become the joke of the NFL. Only the Detroit Lions have been a bigger failure if going to the playoffs even matter to anyone who responded negatively to this email. I have contributed alot in NY income tax, sales tax, Bills seats over the years. I have a right when my money was used to build this franchise to say what I feel. Ralph is no longer a viable NFL owner. ten years ago if Ralph called up coach's to come for a interview with no other job opennings they would have all come. Now even coordinators are turning us down. There are only 32 NFL coaching jobs, you don't turn down interviews for them unless something is really percieved wrong with that franchise. Fine, Ralph keep the damn franchise, run it to the ground. LA is waiting to move it when your gone with 1billion to show for it.

I wrote this piece not to bash Ralph Wilson for giving us the Buffalo Bills. The fact remains that Ralph is 91 years old. Most companies are not run by 91 year old men. Ralph can and will do what he wants but he is watching his franchise become the joke of the NFL. Only the Detroit Lions have been a bigger failure if going to the playoffs even matter to anyone who responded negatively to this email. I have contributed alot in NY income tax, sales tax, Bills seats over the years. I have a right when my money was used to build this franchise to say what I feel. Ralph is no longer a viable NFL owner. ten years ago if Ralph called up coach's to come for a interview with no other job opennings they would have all come. Now even coordinators are turning us down. There are only 32 NFL coaching jobs, you don't turn down interviews for them unless something is really percieved wrong with that franchise. Fine, Ralph keep the damn franchise, run it to the ground. LA is waiting to move it when your gone with 1billion to show for it.

You've got 31 other teams to choose to root for. Instead of bashing the Bills on a Bills fan website, pick a team with a young owner in a big market and jump on their bandwagon. Nobody forced you to spend money on Bills tickets, and no one is forcing you to continue to be a fan.

Just think, though ... if you were a Cowboys fan and lived in Dallas, you'd be paying $80 - $100 to see a game instead of the $40 you're parting with in Orchard Park.

Have at it, my friend. Just stop bashing the one person responsible for bringing, and keeping, this team in Buffalo for so many years. If you really need to exercise that "right," have some respect and do it on a website where the guy isn't loved by 95% of the people on it.

Peace.

What a shock. Another thread bashing Ralph. How original.

what a shock. another group of rw apologists attacking someone who states and sees the obvious truth...the emperor has no clothes and you all tell him how great he looks. how original.

what a shock. another group of rw apologists attacking someone who states and sees the obvious truth...the emperor has no clothes and you all tell him how great he looks. how original.

I don't think many people deny the fact that RW is frugal and guilty of making decisions based on how much money will be spent; and that many of those decisions have resulted in a sub-par football team. Personally, I'm talking about respecting a man who has managed to keep this team in a city with a depressed economy - and keeping it affordable for the fans to see. There have been small market teams that spent little money and enjoyed success. Just like there have been big market teams who have been just as bad as our Bills are right now, after spending boat loads. I don't believe that RW doesn't give a rat's ass that the Bills stink, and I don't believe that he's made the decisions thinking they would end up they way they did. If he spent all the money that the Dallas Cowboys of the league spend, then everyone would be crying about high ticket prices. He seems to be doing what he can right now to build a brand new staff and try to win. He doesn't owe any one of us a GD thing, and for those who can't stand him or can't stand that the Bills aren't that good right now ... be gone.

\

Good God on a pogo-stick! A rich uncle buys your sorry gas pumping ass a new Mazda Sedan and a couple of years down the road, your sense of entitlement gets the better of you and you start bitching behind his back because he is not providing you with an exotic model that all the rest of the kids are racing around in. It is a fluke that Buffalo ever got a franchise in the first place. Now all of us had 50 years of enjoying this fluke event. Eat your vanilla ice cream AND LIKE IT! If you saw Mr. Wilson out on the street, you would merely offer a trembling hand and say thank you Mr. Wilson just like I would. The man is 91, let him do what he wants with his money and toys. We have had a lot of ****ty memories, but some thrilling ones along the way as well. If Buffalo ever reaches the top, the honey that is flowing there will taste sweeter than anything a Dallas Cowboy fan could EVER imagine.

Ralph is NOT a detriment to the bills. first and foremost, if it wasn't for Ralph's principles this franchise would have been moved to another city along time ago. Ralph has voted against every single NFL vote to relocate a franchise.

fast forward to a 90 year old Ralph, who practically on his own, was the only voice of reason arguing against the most recent labor agreement with the players. he said it was a bad deal. Now ALL the other owners realize he was right. is that the mind of a senile old man?

i blame the lack of success of the past ten years on the loss of quality talent evaluators......Bill Polian, John Butler, A J Smith , Bob Ferguson and Buddy Nix. Replaced by Tom Donahue and then apparently, much recent influence by Dick Jauron. The loss of Polian was HUGE and is the single greatest factor that contributed to these last ten years. i do find fault with ralph for much of that (i don't care what he called his daughter).

i feel ralph is as committed as ever to bringing a super bowl to the fans. 31 teams every year say thats alot easier said than done. Buddy Nix is a great first step towards that goal. it's about getting talent.

Ralph's not perfect, but we are and have been fortunate to have him as the owner of our beloved bills.

\

Good God on a pogo-stick! A rich uncle buys your sorry gas pumping ass a new Mazda Sedan and a couple of years down the road, your sense of entitlement gets the better of you and you start bitching behind his back because he is not providing you with an exotic model that all the rest of the kids are racing around in. It is a fluke that Buffalo ever got a franchise in the first place. Now all of us had 50 years of enjoying this fluke event. Eat your vanilla ice cream AND LIKE IT! If you saw Mr. Wilson out on the street, you would merely offer a trembling hand and say thank you Mr. Wilson just like I would. The man is 91, let him do what he wants with his money and toys. We have had a lot of ****ty memories, but some thrilling ones along the way as well. If Buffalo ever reaches the top, the honey that is flowing there will taste sweeter than anything a Dallas Cowboy fan could EVER imagine.

a trembling hand? Maybe if he had sequenced the human genome or found the cure for cancer but a man who's biggest achievement has been getting rich off a subpar team in a currently economically depressed area...I think not. And Buffalo, when the Bills got their start, was quite affluent and "deserved" a pro team. rw didn't base it here nor keep it here because he felt paternalistic to Buffalonians. I don't care for vanilla ice cream and I like nice cars without expecting anybody to subsidize them, unlike rw who expected the taxpayers to build him a stadium (which the OP correctly noted, he was forced to help pay for through taxes).

A Business man getting teh biggest bang for his buck... Holy Crap someone tell America Ralph Wilson has discoverd the answer. :thumbdown:

Seriosuly though the RW bashing is ridiculous. The man is responsible and has acheived so much in his life time, the man is a model citizen as well. I take my hat off to him.

Yea this team may not be good now, but what about the 90's. SO many memories. The team will get better Ralph said he is determined to do so, and i for one believe that man. When has he ever lied to the Bills fans? he may be hush hush about things but news flash most BUSINESSES are and the NFL is just that, a business.

If you dont like the Bills, or Ralph go cheer for another team, and get of TBD a Bills FAN Messgae board.

You've got 31 other teams to choose to root for. Instead of bashing the Bills on a Bills fan website, pick a team with a young owner in a big market and jump on their bandwagon. Nobody forced you to spend money on Bills tickets, and no one is forcing you to continue to be a fan.

I hear Washington is available for fans.

Ralph Wilson IS the Buffalo Bills. If you don't like it, get out of town.

Perhaps it would be OK to consider a different perspective....

The Bills are Buffalo because of uncommon fan support, despite ongoing serial mismanagement by Ralph. The Bills will still be in Buffalo after Ralph crosses the River Styx.

If Ralph at any time felt he could make a better buck elsewhere, he would have bolted like other owners have. But he is a shrewd business man and understands that he has one of the best financial deals in all of sports ownership--and he could only make this money in Buffalo, NY.

But you keep on shining his statue, boys---Papa needs another $40 million before he goes to meet the Boatman.

i blame the lack of success of the past ten years on the loss of quality talent evaluators......

Then who do you blame for Polian leaving? Letting Littman and Bogdan have your ear over the best GM in football is a major error in judgement. Ralph is the top of this food chain, and he's responsible for the retard rodeo at OBD since Polian left.

That's not what I said. I was not defending him. Just laughing at the constant bashing. We are all frustrated but it is getting ridiculous. How often can someone complain about the same thing over and over?

Just think, though ... if you were a Cowboys fan and lived in Dallas, you'd be paying $80 - $100 to see a game instead of the $40 you're parting with in Orchard Park.

Have at it, my friend. Just stop bashing the one person responsible for bringing, and keeping, this team in Buffalo for so many years. If you really need to exercise that "right," have some respect and do it on a website where the guy isn't loved by 95% of the people on it.

Peace.

Ralph loved by 95% of the people on a website? :wallbash: :wallbash: <_<

Only if it wasn't Bills-related & it didn't have a message board. :D

:censored: Ralph. :thumbdown:

A Business man getting teh biggest bang for his buck... Holy Crap someone tell America Ralph Wilson has discoverd the answer. :thumbdown:

Seriosuly though the RW bashing is ridiculous. The man is responsible and has acheived so much in his life time, the man is a model citizen as well. I take my hat off to him.

Yea this team may not be good now, but what about the 90's. SO many memories. The team will get better Ralph said he is determined to do so, and i for one believe that man. When has he ever lied to the Bills fans? he may be hush hush about things but news flash most BUSINESSES are and the NFL is just that, a business.

If you dont like the Bills, or Ralph go cheer for another team, and get of TBD a Bills FAN Messgae board.

I can think of several recent examples of businessmen reaping huge financial rewards while captaining a sinking ship and running a losing team. By your logic, ex CEO's Hank Greenberg (AIG) and Jimmy Cayne (Bear Stearns) should be idolized..they were good in the 90's too.

Then who do you blame for Polian leaving? Letting Littman and Bogdan have your ear over the best GM in football is a major error in judgement. Ralph is the top of this food chain, and he's responsible for the retard rodeo at OBD since Polian left.

i answered that.......and i agree with you........and plz don't try to steal my twenty....mr beast mode , sir.

Perhaps it would be OK to consider a different perspective....

The Bills are Buffalo because of uncommon fan support, despite ongoing serial mismanagement by Ralph. The Bills will still be in Buffalo after Ralph crosses the River Styx.

If Ralph at any time felt he could make a better buck elsewhere, he would have bolted like other owners have. But he is a shrewd business man and understands that he has one of the best financial deals in all of sports ownership--and he could only make this money in Buffalo, NY.

But you keep on shining his statue, boys---Papa needs another $40 million before he goes to meet the Boatman.

Ralph Wilson had an opportunity to move the Bills to Houston between the Oilers and the Texans. He turned down guaranteed higher profits to keep the team in Buffalo. This comes from someone who has been at One Bills Drive for many years. Without Ralph Wilson, the only Buffalo Bills would be the ones that played in the All-America Football Conference in the 40's..

Agree with alot of what you said but the point is it's his team to do with whatever he wants. If it wasn't for that old crumuggin we would not have a team. And for all those people who say let 'em go we'd be better off...shame on you. We have a precious commodity here in our team, the only one we'll ever have. If they leave that's it..no more football.....ever. So even though they suck right now I hope to God they stay until I'm gone along with Ralph. Until then I'll keep typing and spouting off like only NFL fans can do, pretending like what I have to say is important to anybody but myself.

Agree with alot of what you said but the point is it's his team to do with whatever he wants. If it wasn't for that old crumuggin we would not have a team. And for all those people who say let 'em go we'd be better off...shame on you. We have a precious commodity here in our team, the only one we'll ever have. If they leave that's it..no more football.....ever. So even though they suck right now I hope to God they stay until I'm gone along with Ralph. Until then I'll keep typing and spouting off like only NFL fans can do, pretending like what I have to say is important to anybody but myself.

Your opinion is important. Remember this, Ralph's money was made because of Buffalo Bills fans and NY State. How this gets turned around that we should be thankful for Ralph no matter what is wrong. I live in Central NY and could easily follow the NY Giants or Jets now. Ralph has been lucky for the past 10 years he has made any money off me, not the other way around. He wants to move the franchise so be it but where ever he goes he still has to fill the stadium, pay for players, pay for personnel. If he went to LA and didn't go to the playoffs for 10 years he would be chased out of town, ask the LA Rams fans. Ask the owner of the St Louis Rams. We are the customers, we are the ones that are important, not Ralph Wilson unless we chose to honor him. We don't owe it. Buffalo has been brainwashed into thinking it is second rate. It is too bad, I love the city and was born and raised there. My dad was a Buffalo fireman for 40 years (they are more important then Ralph), he thinks Ralph has messed this franchise up the past 5 years. How can anyone think this franchise has been going in the right direction. Buffalo will survive if the Bills leave, it just won't be as fun as the 90's with them or the early 80's. It truely has not been much fun the past 5 to 10 years.