Nix comments on Maybin

Maybin has a lot to prove this offseason. He has a chance to get stronger and work on his game or maybe a good coach will find a way to utilize him.

I hated the pick but he is not a bust yet. Maybe if he played more than 15 downs a game he would have done more. Hard to prove yourself when you don't play.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that if he couldn't/didn't convince these stooges that Maybin was a toxic pick, then it's certainly possible that his opinion of Maybin was different then than what he says it is now. We're talkng about a first round pick.

I suppose its possible, but I think you're probably overestimating how much influence that Buddy Nix had. Almost everyone in that war room would have outranked him and had more influence on the pick than he did.

My point is that if he couldn't/didn't convince these stooges that Maybin was a toxic pick, then it's certainly possible that his opinion of Maybin was different then than what he says it is now. We're talkng about a first round pick.

How do you know that Nix didn't strongly offer his opinion in the war room, but was overruled by DJ & others? What was he supposed to do, stomp up and down until the pick got vetoed?

I think that his public comments now strongly hint about his views on the pick back then.

Nix and Modrak get credit for the lineman

DJ gets credit for maybin.

Somehow I doubt it was that simple and such a clean break. It's easy to say that the guy nobody lies anymore made the bad picks, whiel the enw guiy made the good ones, but in reality they probably all had input on all the selections. I do seem to remember Modrak talking about Maybin a lot in a positive light. For all we know, it was Buddy Nix who made the case to take Maybin and his quote is just more about general draft strategy instead of a knock on that particular pick.

So, as the Bills "national scout" last year (and as a former "assistant GM/director of player personnel at SD), Buddy is NOW badmouthing the Maybin pick??

Where was buddy last winter/spring? Why wasn't he saying "don't even put this guy on our draft board--he's a one-year wonder"??

Are we saying that as a guy who built the Chargers as their assistsant GM, Nix had NO juice in a war room containing the likes of serial draft killers Ralph, Guy, Modrak and DJ??

there's a pecking order on "final" say when it comes to the draft. that order was unclear last year. meaning, the bills never publicly said who had FINAL say (it's pretty clear shanahan has final say in washington). Levy claimed he ruled by committee. Russ Brandon took over for Levy.....that leads me to believe Russ had it, with input from Modrak and Jauron. I'm sure Russ kept looking at Ralph in the War room for reassurance. All the Scouts, including Nix, worked for Modrak who is in charge of the college draft. Nix specializes in the South region, so he probably wasn't even the main scout looking at Maybin. John Guy is in charge of current NFL Free Agent scouting. i don't have a link, but it has been reported that Jerry Sullivan said that DJ pushed hard for maybin. Nix has distanced himself from that pick with his comment that "one hit wonders get you in trouble". who knows what nix did or didn't say just prior to handing in the card for Maybin. but one thing is for sure, at that time he was pretty far down the food chain.

When asked about 2008 No. 11 overall pick Aaron Maybin, new GM Buddy Nix said "We try not to take guys who are one-year wonders; they'll get you in trouble."

Nix was trying to say that if he was in charge last April, Maybin would not have been the pick. He started just 10 games at Penn State before declaring early for the draft and needs to put on a ton of weight. It's too early to call Maybin a bust, but he has to be considered a project at this point. The "pass rusher" had no sacks in limited snaps this season.

I'm guessing he would have gone with Orakpo or Cushing here. Was it Ralph with the final call last year or Russ?

How was the question phrased? I find it strange for Nix to be that candid with a comment to the press. Not sure its a good thing, though I appreciate the insight and he is 100% correct.

I want Maybin to pan out. I think he has potential, though clearly Cushing/Orakpo would have been a far better choice. And it should be noted that both Cushing and Orakpo play linebacker. It would have been interesting to see what Maybin could have done in that role.

How was the question phrased? I find it strange for Nix to be that candid with a comment to the press. Not sure its a good thing, though I appreciate the insight and he is 100% correct.

I want Maybin to pan out. I think he has potential, though clearly Cushing/Orakpo would have been a far better choice. And it should be noted that both Cushing and Orakpo play linebacker. It would have been interesting to see what Maybin could have done in that role.

Agreed. Orakpo is really more of a true DE than Maybin, but Washington wanted him on the field as much as possible, so he plays LB on 1st and 2nd down. Maybin is more of a rush linebacker in terms of his body type. I guess the holdout had something to do with it, but doesn't it seem like he could play the same role as Orakpo? LB in the base 4-3, DE in the nickel & dime?

Having said that, Maybin generally looked horrible even in clear passing situations, and I only recall one QB pressure from him all year, so we don't have a lot of reasons to be encouraged at this point.

He probably thought he could get some kind of contribution out of Maybin as a rookie. On the other hand, I don't think Dick ever really had a clue how close to being fired that he actually was.

I'm glad to hear that Buddy Nix realizes how risky a one year wonder at DE usually is. Aside from QB, DEs have the toughest transition to the NFL of any position. Maybin may defy the odds, but you're usually just asking for trouble picking a guy with only one year of production at the collegiate level. A quick look at the list of recent first round DEs proves that pretty decisively.

Agreed. He probably didn't bank on Maybin holding out virtually all of training camp either.

Given his obsession with quick, lightweight d-linemen, I would agree.

Um, didn't he have Ted Washington, Trevor Pryce and a couple other big guys in Chicago? He's not the best inthe world, but trying to blame everything you don't like on him doesn't work

Um, didn't he have Ted Washington, Trevor Pryce and a couple other big guys in Chicago? He's not the best inthe world, but trying to blame everything you don't like on him doesn't work

DJ & the rest of the 'braintrust' had a chance to draft Ngata or Bunkley, and instead chose Whitner, supposedly because neither linemen fit their 'system'.

So, as the Bills "national scout" last year (and as a former "assistant GM/director of player personnel at SD), Buddy is NOW badmouthing the Maybin pick??

Where was buddy last winter/spring? Why wasn't he saying "don't even put this guy on our draft board--he's a one-year wonder"??

Are we saying that as a guy who built the Chargers as their assistsant GM, Nix had NO juice in a war room containing the likes of serial draft killers Ralph, Guy, Modrak and DJ??

Basically, yes. Nix was hired in late January as a scout.

So your thesis is that a guy who was with the organization for 2 months had the power to override everyone else in the war room with higher titles than him?

Exactly. Furthermore, to imply that he's now putting his spin on the pick is basically to accuse Nix of being dishonest. Why would he be dishonest over a fairly major point during the first week of his new job? People in the organization know what happened last draft day. How much credibility would he immediately lose within the organization if he lied on this point? It's much easier to conclude that Nix is being honest here, not dishonest.

there's a pecking order on "final" say when it comes to the draft. that order was unclear last year. meaning, the bills never publicly said who had FINAL say (it's pretty clear shanahan has final say in washington). Levy claimed he ruled by committee. Russ Brandon took over for Levy.....that leads me to believe Russ had it, with input from Modrak and Jauron. I'm sure Russ kept looking at Ralph in the War room for reassurance. All the Scouts, including Nix, worked for Modrak who in in charge of the college draft. Nix specializes in the South region, so he probably wasn't even the main scout looking at Maybin. John Guy is in charge of current NFL Free Agent scouting. i don't have a link, but it has been reported that Jerry Sullivan said that DJ pushed hard for maybin. Nix has distanced himself from that pick with his comment that "one hit wonders get you in trouble". who knows what nix did or didn't say just prior to handing in the card for Maybin. but one thing is for sure, at that time he was pretty far down the food chain.

Agreed.

I find the candor to be very refreshing. Bill Polian is one of the most outspoken GMs in football. And he's brutally honest, even when he's wrong.

Basically, yes. Nix was hired in late January as a scout.

Exactly. Furthermore, to imply that he's now putting his spin on the pick is basically to accuse Nix of being dishonest. Why would he be dishonest over a fairly major point during the first week of his new job? People in the organization know what happened last draft day. How much credibility would he immediately lose within the organization if he lied on this point? It's much easier to conclude that Nix is being honest here, not dishonest.

Agreed.

I find the candor to be very refreshing. Bill Polian is one of the most outspoken GMs in football. And he's brutally honest, even when he's wrong.

OK, I may be wrong on this one. Just strange that a guy comes in as a high level football executive and highly respected and successful scout from a great team---and no one will listen to his opinion about how unwise the first pick choice of his new employer is. And that, less than one year later, this same guy no one would listen to less than 12 months ago, is now in charge of the team.

OK, I may be wrong on this one. Just strange that a guy comes in as a high level football executive and highly respected and successful scout from a great team---and no one will listen to his opinion about how unwise the first pick choice of his new employer is. And that, less than one year later, this same guy no one would listen to less than 12 months ago, is now in charge of the team.

Maybe they listened, and overruled him.

Concencus does not mean everyone gets their way.

We got exactly what I expected from him. He could turn out to be awesome but we're another 2 seasons from finding out.

And if he does manage to pan out he'll be another classic Bills pick that we groom for another team. The treadmill continues.

And if he does manage to pan out he'll be another classic Bills pick that we groom for another team. The treadmill continues.

Exactly. We'll pay him well during his on the job training period while he's contributing nothing to the team. If or when he becomes good enough and a productive player, then we'll send him to another team who'll reap the fruits of our labor......Great pick - glad we had the luxury to waste it on a project who probably will never help us...

Agreed. Orakpo is really more of a true DE than Maybin, but Washington wanted him on the field as much as possible, so he plays LB on 1st and 2nd down. Maybin is more of a rush linebacker in terms of his body type. I guess the holdout had something to do with it, but doesn't it seem like he could play the same role as Orakpo? LB in the base 4-3, DE in the nickel & dime?

Having said that, Maybin generally looked horrible even in clear passing situations, and I only recall one QB pressure from him all year, so we don't have a lot of reasons to be encouraged at this point.

Washington was horrible last year. Who cares what they did.

Just a questions, but if DJ had the final say on this and pushed for him...

Why didn't DJ play him at all?? Why would DJ push for a project when he knew in all likely hood he was going to get canned? Why wouldn't DJ push for an impact player who could have saved his job over a bench warmer???

Why did DJ do a lot of things he did?

Why would you draft more DBs than any team in the league?

When asked about 2008 No. 11 overall pick Aaron Maybin, new GM Buddy Nix said "We try not to take guys who are one-year wonders; they'll get you in trouble."

Nix was trying to say that if he was in charge last April, Maybin would not have been the pick. He started just 10 games at Penn State before declaring early for the draft and needs to put on a ton of weight. It's too early to call Maybin a bust, but he has to be considered a project at this point. The "pass rusher" had no sacks in limited snaps this season.

I'm guessing he would have gone with Orakpo or Cushing here. Was it Ralph with the final call last year or Russ?

Why is it so hard to determine who really wanted Maybin? Someone obviously had to be pushing pretty hard to

come up with such a reach.

:D