Nix comments on Maybin

When asked about 2008 No. 11 overall pick Aaron Maybin, new GM Buddy Nix said "We try not to take guys who are one-year wonders; they'll get you in trouble."

Nix was trying to say that if he was in charge last April, Maybin would not have been the pick. He started just 10 games at Penn State before declaring early for the draft and needs to put on a ton of weight. It's too early to call Maybin a bust, but he has to be considered a project at this point. The "pass rusher" had no sacks in limited snaps this season.

I'm guessing he would have gone with Orakpo or Cushing here. Was it Ralph with the final call last year or Russ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When asked about 2008 No. 11 overall pick Aaron Maybin, new GM Buddy Nix said "We try not to take guys who are one-year wonders; they'll get you in trouble."

Nix was trying to say that if he was in charge last April, Maybin would not have been the pick. He started just 10 games at Penn State before declaring early for the draft and needs to put on a ton of weight. It's too early to call Maybin a bust, but he has to be considered a project at this point. The "pass rusher" had no sacks in limited snaps this season.

I'm guessing he would have gone with Orakpo or Cushing here. Was it Ralph with the final call last year or Russ?

It was clearly DJ. That is also why we picked a db in round 2 (although that one worked great, it was still a reach pick for a db, highly indicative of DJs influence.

We will be paying for DJs moronic take on the NFL for many years to come.

probably DJ & Modrak convincing Russ.....hopefully someday we will find out who gets the credit.

ya gotta love Nix's comment......what a breath of fresh air.

It was clearly DJ. That is also why we picked a db in round 2 (although that one worked great, it was still a reach pick for a db, highly indicative of DJs influence.

We will be paying for DJs moronic take on the NFL for many years to come.

Nix and Modrak get credit for the lineman

DJ gets credit for maybin.

probably DJ & Modrak convincing Russ.....hopefully someday we will find out who gets the credit.

ya gotta love Nix's comment......what a breath of fresh air.

I bet it was DJ. It was his defense. He picks guys that he thinks will fit his scheme best.

From what I've heard/read, guys before like Nix or Modrak bring 3 or 4 names to the table and then someone picks the person from that group. So I'm 100% sure there was a debate between Orakpo and Maybin on draft day. The question we'll never know is who made the push for Maybin. I'll bet it was DJ. If it wasn't - get ready for another decade of losing football. Gotta try to stay positive.

Just a questions, but if DJ had the final say on this and pushed for him...

Why didn't DJ play him at all?? Why would DJ push for a project when he knew in all likely hood he was going to get canned? Why wouldn't DJ push for an impact player who could have saved his job over a bench warmer???

Just a questions, but if DJ had the final say on this and pushed for him...

Why didn't DJ play him at all?? Why would DJ push for a project when he knew in all likely hood he was going to get canned? Why wouldn't DJ push for an impact player who could have saved his job over a bench warmer???

holdout?

That's encouraging to hear. Sounds like Maybin will either have to pack on weight or convert to LB.

Ouch!

Aaron, are you listening?