I never knew about this..

Cru Jones

I cant believe i never heard of this till just now

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/11/sports/p...r-contract.html

whats interesting is that if he had played out the contract he would have easily started over Dilfer and got his revenge on the Giants in SB XXXV

I never heard that either I wounder what went wrong. Did Kelly change his mind? Did the Ravens not want him? Did Kelly want too much money or something? It makes sense because the Ravens had such a dominant D and needed a QB to anchor the offense and Kelly at age 38 was probably one if the best guy available via free agency.

I wounder if Kelly quarterbacked the team would they have still won the SB over the Giants? I think Kelly at age 40ish (With a year or two of retirement/rest) would have been better then Dilfer or would it have been a failure?

Kelly was done the year he reitred(14TD 19INT 73.2 QB rating). He was mistake prone and slow to deliver the ball. Man it is incredible to see how many picks he actually threw each year. Take away 1990 and I am not sure he makes the HOF. Could he have won with that defense? Sure so could just about everyone.

Actually that Ravens team can be blamed for the downfall of many franchises. One frickin team with arguably the best defense EVER wins the SB with one of the worst QB's EVER to start a SB and that became the model for how to win a championship. Just manage the game.... Not even Tom Brady year one managed the game. He won them. Maybe Roethlisberger's first SB come close.

I remember that well. Jimbo and Marv's retirements were very similar it seemed to me.....I don't think it was really their choice to retire. I remember Jimbo got something like a $1M per year or maybe one time payoff to be a consultant.........I always thought either one of them would have been ready to come back to the NFL.

whats interesting is that if he had played out the contract he would have easily started over Dilfer and got his revenge on the Giants in SB XXXV

Kelly wanted to play for Marchibroda. But, mainly due to his son's health at the time, he thought it best to spend time with his family.... at least that's how I remember this played out.

Kelly wanted to play for Marchibroda. But, mainly due to his son's health at the time, he thought it best to spend time with his family.... at least that's how I remember this played out.

Yeah, he flirted with the idea and I think it was kind of a mutual decision in the end from both the teams and him to stay retired.

Kelly was done the year he reitred(14TD 19INT 73.2 QB rating). He was mistake prone and slow to deliver the ball. Man it is incredible to see how many picks he actually threw each year. Take away 1990 and I am not sure he makes the HOF. Could he have won with that defense? Sure so could just about everyone.

Actually that Ravens team can be blamed for the downfall of many franchises. One frickin team with arguably the best defense EVER wins the SB with one of the worst QB's EVER to start a SB and that became the model for how to win a championship. Just manage the game.... Not even Tom Brady year one managed the game. He won them. Maybe Roethlisberger's first SB come close.

Brady most certainly managed his first SB. And as the saying goes, "defense wins championships."

Ted Marchibroda was the head coach in Baltimore at that time....he wanted Kelly. Kelly thought about it briefly then said he couldn't see himself as anything but a Buffalo Bill......Of course he ended up staying retired.

Wasn't he actually talking about playing for the salary to go directly to Hunter's Hope as well?

I remember something about that being his main motivation for wanting to come back and play.

Wasn't he actually talking about playing for the salary to go directly to Hunter's Hope as well?

I remember something about that being his main motivation for wanting to come back and play.

This is what I remember as well, although, it could have been just rumor. But I do remember there being conversation about this very issue...

Kelly was terrible at the end of his career. He could barely move and was very mistake prone. If he extended his career, it would have been an absolute disaster. he made the right call.

He definitely was slowed down a bit with age and some of the beatings he took. To be fair though IIRC that was when the o-line really started to deteriorate for the Bills and that season he was sacked almost 40 times. I'm sure lack of mobility didn't help, but I would have thought he could have had a couple productive seasons left in him playing with a good team behind a solid line.

I remember that, in fact it was real close to him signing but he changed his mind at the last minute. The main reason that he almost went there was the connection between himself and Ravens head coach Ted Marchibroda, the mind behind the K-Gun.

Kelly was terrible at the end of his career. He could barely move and was very mistake prone. If he extended his career, it would have been an absolute disaster. he made the right call.

I think terrible is a little overstated. He wasn't what he was a decade earlier, but he did lead the Bills to a home playoff game that year, although he got knocked out cold against the Jags in the Wild Card game.

Ultimately this is true, whereas if a team pitches a shutout in the Superbowl, said team wins. In terms of being a good team and making the playoffs, balance is needed ino.

Of course you need a good offense. You can't expect to win if your defense gives up few points but your offense scores fewer.

I think terrible is a little overstated. He wasn't what he was a decade earlier, but he did lead the Bills to a home playoff game that year, although he got knocked out cold against the Jags in the Wild Card game.

Maybe terrible is a little harsh but he was bad. He threw 5 more INTs than tds, had a 73 QB rating, and took sacks at a higher rate than any time in his career. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm

We were a lower middle offensive team and a top 10 defense one. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1996.htm

Maybe terrible is a little harsh but he was bad. He threw 5 more INTs than tds, had a 73 QB rating, and took sacks at a higher rate than any time in his career. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm

We were a lower middle offensive team and a top 10 defense one. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1996.htm

I agree he was a shadow of himself from a few years earlier, with zero mobility. Imagine him at the end of his career behind the Bills Offensive Line of today-he would be a crippled in a wheel chair, if he was still breathing.

If Kelly hadn't been beat to **** in the USFL he could have easilly played a few more years in the NFL at a high level.

At the same time, that experience made him more NFL ready. If Kelly went straight to the NFL, Bills fans would have been calling for his head after 2 years like every QB we have had.

This also makes me wonder why the NFL can't find out a minor league for the spring. Every team could benefit from players, especially QBs, getting more game reps. A lot of young guys fail because they aren't ready for the big leagues as a raw 22 year old. However with a little more seasoning, they could be in a much better position to succeed.

He tried to go to the Stealers too. They didn't want him.

A lot of good players try to do a Brett Favre. We do not hear about many of these attempts, but some surface.

It's not so hard to understand. A player gets beat up for a number of years, has lost a step and does not heal as quickly from injuries. He decides to retire, then finds out his celebrity status starts to fade and he misses playing the game more than he thought he would. Many people criticize these attempts to play again, but I believe retired players have every right to try to come back if they choose. A team may or may not pick them up. They may not be as good as they once were. But it is their choice to try.

Influences:

Often, fans think in terms of a player damaging his career statistics, and therefore want stars to retire before they are not as good. I'm sure players consider this, but if playing the game a couple more years is more attractive, it should be okay for them to do so.

Many of us can identify with doing a job for awhile and feeling like "that's enough." Then after having a break, realizing that you have a renewed interest in continuing with your career. I did that myself. So I feel I understand how an NFL player could change his mind after leaving the game.

At the same time, that experience made him more NFL ready. If Kelly went straight to the NFL, Bills fans would have been calling for his head after 2 years like every QB we have had.

This also makes me wonder why the NFL can't find out a minor league for the spring. Every team could benefit from players, especially QBs, getting more game reps. A lot of young guys fail because they aren't ready for the big leagues as a raw 22 year old. However with a little more seasoning, they could be in a much better position to succeed.

Agree completely and they probably could use this as part of their partnership with players to give opportunities for players to learn to coach as well. It would be work out very well if teams would market them but they probably would only do that if they had first rights on players or got compensation like minor league baseball. This is what NFL Europe was supposed to partly be and never seemed to work since many teams only sent scrubs rather than players to be developed.

If Kelly hadn't been beat to **** in the USFL he could have easilly played a few more years in the NFL at a high level.

Maybe but I think cutting his teeth in the USFL gave the Bills an already seasoned QB. If he had to develop with the Bills who knows how he would have turned out. :thumbsup:

PTR

The Bills were a lousy offensive team. Their skilll players were really old. The offensive line was worse than any the Bills have had since Kelly arrived and until this past season. They were banking on a big contribution from rookie Eric Moulds, but he was utterly useless as a receiver. Riemersma didn't emerge until a year later. They were at best a station-to-station offense with no gamebreakers and accordingly teams just crowded and attacked the LOS without fear of the big play which stifled the running game. Kelly had been many people's AFC offensive player of the year the season before and was actually doing his best QB'ing of his career in 1995. He actually finished the 1996 season playing very well, and even though he had a bad pic 6 in the Jags game, he played very well in that game. I think he was even offensive player of the week in the AFC(and no, it wasn't because voters knew he was going to retire, they did not). It was the defense that couldn't stop Natrone Means.

It was a shame that the Bills weren't able to protect him because he was at his best as a leader, decision maker, and winner. In many ways, simialar to what Favre is now. Favre looks helpless when he doesn't get good protection, but when he does he can still play like an elite QB. It's that simple. Kelly could still play, but the Bills couldn't support him. I'll take that kind of QB any day over the long line of Bills QB's that really don't have any business starting for any NFL team.

What is interesting (as it pertains to present time) is that Jim Kelly was "done" right about the time that our OL really started to deterioriate.

John Fina was nothing compared to what we had previously.......we had guys on the line like Kent Hull who were good enough to mask the deteriation of the line for a while.......

Agree completely and they probably could use this as part of their partnership with players to give opportunities for players to learn to coach as well. It would be work out very well if teams would market them but they probably would only do that if they had first rights on players or got compensation like minor league baseball. This is what NFL Europe was supposed to partly be and never seemed to work since many teams only sent scrubs rather than players to be developed.

You're right and NFL Europe was very successful in developing players. It just too ambitious in thinking Europe would would eat up 2nd class football. If that league is in the States in the spring and summer in cities without NFL teams (San Antonio, Vegas, Austin, Detroit :censored: ) and was truly used as a developmental league, it could be very successful and great for the NFL.

What is interesting (as it pertains to present time) is that Jim Kelly was "done" right about the time that our OL really started to deterioriate.

John Fina was nothing compared to what we had previously.......we had guys on the line like Kent Hull who were good enough to mask the deteriation of the line for a while.......

call it the Bogdan effect

the long running myth that the Bills brilliant scouts find any slob off the street to play OL, like Crafts, Jerry Ostrowski

that mentality still exists as a never-ending tribute to Linda Bodgan

He definitely was slowed down a bit with age and some of the beatings he took. To be fair though IIRC that was when the o-line really started to deteriorate for the Bills and that season he was sacked almost 40 times. I'm sure lack of mobility didn't help, but I would have thought he could have had a couple productive seasons left in him playing with a good team behind a solid line.

If Kelly can't play behind a bad o-line how is Trent Edwards supposed to???

14 TD 19 INT is terrible whether it is JP Losman or Jim Kelly