'Men of a Certain Age' premiers tonight...

The Poojer

It looks like a show about middle-aged guys sitting around talking about how they're getting old and their priorities change and crap like that. If it is... it'll bomb. Guys, of any age, don't want to watch a show about other guys sitting around talking about their life. That's what chicks do. Guys want: action, sex, or comedy. It's pretty simple. So if no one's getting shot at or hookin up with hot babes regualry or a straight up comedy, its over before it began.

what is SAMCRO?

--- edit --- n/m looks like its the acronym for Sons of Anarchy...have yet to see it despite hearing some great things about it

Speaking of awesome shows, SAMCRO's been putting on a show as of late. Last week's episode was the mother of all shows for dudes.

Setting the Tivo. I was a fan of Andre Braugher on "Homicide: Life on the Street". He owned* that role.

"He who loses control, loses."

*Of course, everyone on that show was awesome. It's amazing how good actors can be when they have great scripts, directors, and DPs, right?

It loses points for having hotties for wives instead of the more realistic looking ones that drive men to other distractions.

"The hot ones drive you to other distractions like, hotesses, waitresses & Perkins managers." - E. Woods

This Tiger thing is like comedic toy chest.

It loses points for having hotties for wives instead of the more realistic looking ones that drive men to other distractions.

Sounds like every family sitcom for the last 20 years. Average, dopey schlep married to some wise cracking babe. Hooray for originality.

Sounds like every family sitcom for the last 20 years. Average, dopey schlep married to some wise cracking babe. Hooray for originality.

Not really, it's pretty original IMO. I wouldn't call them scheps either, looks like they make a good buck, I guess it depends on your definition. And really only the one has a real hot wife, the other is average, but she gets extra points for her love of football! And the dude with a hot wife still gets caught checking out other hot chicks. Very funny show, definitely geared toward dudes, I have laughed my a$$ off in all but one episode so far. The other one was still funny, but just not as good as the others...

No, it's definitely not your average watered down family sitcom. It's pretty raunchy with most of the jokes centered around the league members busting each others balls. Check it out on hulu. The most recent episode was a bit weak, but the first three or four were stellar in my opinion.

Speaking of awesome shows, SAMCRO's been putting on a show as of late. Last week's episode was the mother of all shows for dudes.

Sons is the best show on TV right now.

HBO missed on Mad Men and Sons....somebody over there needs to get their act together. Two shows which would absolutely kick ass on real cable.

Watched 'Men of a Certain Age" last night. Turned it off right after the opossum got ran over three times by a quad cab pickup then walked away. Stupid.

Yea, I watched the whole thing..but never really enjoyed it at all. Couple of little smirks, but thats about it.Series is set to record, will watch it one more time next week

Watched 'Men of a Certain Age" last night. Turned it off right after the opossum got ran over three times by a quad cab pickup then walked away. Stupid.

Was looking forward to it. Wathced it-- bad show. Not funny, they dont even act like real guys or friends-- they dont make fun of each other. It was a bit depressing (why would a guy want to watch it). Big deal-- they curse occasionally (sort of keepin' it real). Wont waste my time again.

Was looking forward to it. Wathced it-- bad show. Not funny, they dont even act like real guys or friends-- they dont make fun of each other. It was a bit depressing (why would a guy want to watch it). Big deal-- they curse occasionally (sort of keepin' it real). Wont waste my time again.

I thought it was kind of depressing.

I want to be entertained!

If I want to be depressed, I will turn on the news, or watch the Bills.

• 1 month later...

OK...

At first I wasn't sure about this show. While I thought the first episode was OK, I wasn't completely sold.

Now, after watching several episodes I think it is one of the best shows on TV. Maybe it's because I'm a man of a certain age and can relate to these characters. The acting is superb. The writing may be even better.

OK...

At first I wasn't sure about this show. While I thought the first episode was OK, I wasn't completely sold.

Now, after watching several episodes I think it is one of the best shows on TV. Maybe it's because I'm a man of a certain age and can relate to these characters. The acting is superb. The writing may be even better.

I haven't been watching, but if they run short of ideas they should give Tipster a call.

OK...

I agree! I enjoy watching as well, although I was iffy after the first episode. It's not a "guy" show or comedy, but it was never advertised as such. But it's really well written, has great acting, with true to life story lines. I am enjoying it so far...

OK...

:D last night's episode was the first I've seen start to finish. Now that MNF is out of the way I'll be able to settle in. I thought it was well written, but even better well acted. The 'chemistry' thing between Romano and Sarah Clarke (who was extremely yummy btw) was strong. Loved the game of horse.

I must admit that I thought early on that the episode was going to end with Romano finding out that Bakula set him up with a call girl. Still to be found out...did Bakula sleep with Dory?

:lol: :lol: :lol:<_<:D

:lol: last night's episode was the first I've seen start to finish. Now that MNF is out of the way I'll be able to settle in. I thought it was well written, but even better well acted. The 'chemistry' thing between Romano and Sarah Clarke (who was extremely yummy btw) was strong. Loved the game of horse.

I must admit that I thought early on that the episode was going to end with Romano finding out that Bakula set him up with a call girl. Still to be found out...did Bakula sleep with Dory?

:thumbdown: last night's episode was the first I've seen start to finish. Now that MNF is out of the way I'll be able to settle in. I thought it was well written, but even better well acted. The 'chemistry' thing between Romano and Sarah Clarke (who was extremely yummy btw) was strong. Loved the game of horse.

The last line of the show, when the cashier reveals she really did see Romano in his office, made me laugh very loudly.

Sons is the best show on TV right now.

HBO missed on Mad Men and Sons....somebody over there needs to get their act together. Two shows which would absolutely kick ass on real cable.

Don't forget "Breaking Bad"... since the "Sopranos" left the air, it has come closest (with "Mad Men" close behind, see my avatar) to giving me that "can't miss" feeling about a television show. "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" are the only shows I make an effort to watch on their first, premier airing...

By far, the best "guy" shows out there right now are Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The League

I was sick recently...at the urging of friends, I checked out "It's Always Sunny..." cuz I felt like crap, and had nothing else to do... I gave it three episodes, and thought it was terrible. What am I missing? It was funny (not) like "Married With Childrn" to me... if the League is anything like it, I will be avoiding that one too...

• 1 month later...
I was sick recently...at the urging of friends, I checked out "It's Always Sunny..." cuz I felt like crap, and had nothing else to do... I gave it three episodes, and thought it was terrible. What am I missing? It was funny (not) like "Married With Childrn" to me... if the League is anything like it, I will be avoiding that one too...

I got into Sunny pretty early - it was an episode where they find the Nazi uniform in the basement - and I found the scene where Charlie dresses up in the Nazi uniform hysterical. That sealed the deal for me and I've been a fan ever since.

I'll admit it does have it's ups and downs and I almost quit watching the show when Danny Devito first joined, but there were quite a few funny shows since. Last season, I really enjoyed the episode where they rent the Uhaul to go to the Grand Canyon.

I just finished watching the last 3 episodes of the season. I really enjoy this show...maybe I like it so much because it hits close to home as I am in that 'certain age' range. I think the characters are really well done, hell I am even rooting for the bookie to become a 'respectable' character. My biggest complaint is how they wrapped everything up so nicely at the end...not everything has to be happy, but if that is my biggest complaint then I guess they are doing a good job with it....can't wait until the next season.