A Few Thoughts About The Game

Dont think he got out talented by his own talent but the talent on the team.

Yes, that's what I meant. It's hard to put together a coaching resume with this team. His defense has played well at times this season. Like I said, I am OK with him staying as HC if the top guys aren't available. I'd rather keep him as head coach than take a flyer on some untested OC.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: Crusades. That other guy was an an anti-anti-Bell crusade and should be banned.

RE: Maybin. Tonight was the first game he showed up for. He's always been a project so just let me see more progress in the project this yer and I'll be happy.

RE: O-Liine. Almost a whatever. They were so bad that I don't know what to say. The direct snap to Jackson was almost a funny play as the entire Jets line arrived at Freddy about half a second after the ball got to him.

RE: TO. Have a nice end-of-career elsewhere. Inconsistent effort. The last INT was a lousy throw but TO did nothing to help Fitz out there. He's got to do more, especially on the game winning drive.

RE: Evans. He actually came to play last night. Besides a good block on the TD, I saw him block well on a few other plays. Also worked hard to get open.

RE: Coaching. Fewell is only the answer to the Bills if the top guys aren't available. He's OK. The team tries hard for him. I didn't think he got outcoached today. More like out-talented.

and even if we lose out, we may not draft higher than 10th. 8 teams with less or same number of losses as bills.

1) I am crazy about Fred Jackson but once again, he is too slow to return kickoffs. It makes no freaking sense.

I'm wit ya, but probably more because I don't want to see him killed returning a kick.

2) After the 2nd quarter running exhibition by Lynch, it was interesting to see just how supportive his teammates were. If he doesn't turn out to be a top quality running back in this league he has only himself to blame. He has all the talent he needs imo.

and yet...shouldn't he have gotten more carries as the game wore on? If you're going to go with the guy who's hot that was Lynch last night. Liked his decisiveness on those early carries...I would guess he's being preached to by the coaches.

4) Is there really anybody left who thinks that our biggest problem isn' the offensive line? If so, please stand up and be heard!

followed by LB, followed by DL...then think about a QB.

6) GREAT sack by Poz in the 4th quarter. The kid is fast. Imagine what he could do in a real defense!?

That was the best hit I've seen from him and really that isn't saying much. I continue to be underwhelmed by him. Rarely stops someone in their tracks, frequently gets dragged for a yard or two. Scott's decleater was better than any hit I've seen from our MLB.

7) Just before the deuce at halftime, Maybin made a sick inside move. Sanchez got a short pass off in what looked like 2 seconds. He would have crushed Sanchez if this was a longer patterrn. Just a ray of hope; that's all I'm saying. No promises.

Might be the same play...actually saw him make an inside move last night and get pressure. If he had a second longer...

11) Getting a sack against Alan Faneca isn't an east thing to do. Kudos to Kyle Williams for getting 2, one with blood gushing out of his arm. Color me impressed.

I saw a trickle :sick: ...really really impressed with his play all year long. Defensive MVP. Yes, over Byrd.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah...a very bleck uninspired performance by the team last night...but I'll be back with em a week from Sunday.

Peyton Manning wouldn't last long behind this OLine. Fitzgerald isn't a great QB by any measure but this line is terrible and it was very obvious by the few overheads we got that the Jets were more than ready in coverage to handle what the BILLS were doing.

Amen ... nothing to add

Peyton Manning wouldn't last long behind this OLine. Fitzgerald isn't a great QB by any measure but this line is terrible and it was very obvious by the few overheads we got that the Jets were more than ready in coverage to handle what the BILLS were doing.

no he isn't, but he's a hell of a WR!

Amen ... nothing to add

You guys are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but you should check out who the most sacked QBs in the NFL are, then check out how their offenses (and even more specifically their passing offenses) are doing this year if you truly believe that a better QB wouldn't succeed behind this line...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...mp;d-447263-n=1

You'll notice names like Rogers, Roethlisberger, Romo, and McNabb in the top 7. Their teams' passing offenses rank 6th, 8th, 10th, and 11th in the NFL, respectively; their teams' overall offenses rank 6th, 9th, 4th, and 11th in the NFL, respectively.

I also like to use the example of Tennessee, who allows the fewest sacks in the NFL and has the league's leading rusher, but couldn't win a game with Kerry Collins. Once they brought in Vince Young, the haven't lost.

I also think it's very telling that New England's line gave up 48 sacks last season (one fewer than the Superbowl Champion Steelers) with Matt Cassel at the helm, but the same line (playing without their pro bowl LT and their pro bowl center--both replaced by rookies) has allowed only 15 so far this season.

I don't mean to insinuate that Buffalo's OL is anything but lousy; that'd be an awfully tough argument to make. I do, however, whole-heartedly believe it starts with the QB.

You guys are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but you should check out who the most sacked QBs in the NFL are, then check out how their offenses (and even more specifically their passing offenses) are doing this year if you truly believe that a better QB wouldn't succeed behind this line...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...mp;d-447263-n=1

You'll notice names like Rogers, Roethlisberger, Romo, and McNabb in the top 7. Their teams' passing offenses rank 6th, 8th, 10th, and 11th in the NFL, respectively; their teams' overall offenses rank 6th, 9th, 4th, and 11th in the NFL, respectively.

I also like to use the example of Tennessee, who allows the fewest sacks in the NFL and has the league's leading rusher, but couldn't win a game with Kerry Collins. Once they brought in Vince Young, the haven't lost.

I also think it's very telling that New England's line gave up 48 sacks last season (one fewer than the Superbowl Champion Steelers) with Matt Cassel at the helm, but the same line (playing without their pro bowl LT and their pro bowl center--both replaced by rookies) has allowed only 15 so far this season.

I don't mean to insinuate that Buffalo's OL is anything but lousy; that'd be an awfully tough argument to make. I do, however, whole-heartedly believe it starts with the QB.

Totally agree, people that say Manning would not succeed behind this line do not know what they are talking about. Watch Indy, Manning has the ball out of his hands in less then 2 seconds on most passes. Manning would make any line look good including ours.

3) GREAT coverage by Whitner vs. Cotchery with 6 min. and change left in the 2nd quarter. He saved the team points and I appreciate this. Too bad he turned back into the Donte we all know in the second half.

4) Is there really anybody left who thinks that our biggest problem isn' the offensive line? If so, please stand up and be heard!

6) GREAT sack by Poz in the 4th quarter. The kid is fast. Imagine what he could do in a real defense!?

3) This is by no means in defense of Donte Whitner as a player, because I am nowhere near a fan, but why the hell were they having him matched up one-on-one with Jerrico Cotchery so often last night? Particularly in the 2nd half when he kept getting burned. Cotchery is their #1 receiver, not Braylon Edwards or anyone else, and Whitner simply cannot handle that assignment as a cover guy at this point. We have about 4 cornerbacks and a safety (Byrd) who are more suited to be doing that type of job. Really frustrating that they still expect Whitner to be able to do that.

4) I'd love to hear this argument too, because there is no doubt that this is easily our biggest problem. It's pretty sad when you think to yourself that you could care less when a starting OL (Chambers) limps off the field yesterday because whoever they were going to put in his spot after couldn't be any worse. That's what I thought. The one major bright being Andy Levitre, IMO. He absolutely flattened his guy on the Lynch TD run. Scott had a couple nice blocks in a row out in space, too.

6) Count me as one of the people unenamored by the was Poz has been playing. The play you pointed out was a very good play on his part, but it would really be nice to see that type of aggresiveness out of him much more often. He seems to let the play come to him instead of making it 9 times out of 10. Is this more about the scheme than the player? Possibly, but I still think he has a lot to do with this as a player himself at this stage either way.

As always thanks for the writeup. One of the main things I look forward to reading after games. Keep the faith!

I thought it was a well coached game. We played disciplined but our linebackers can't match up to their offensive line in the running game and we desperately need to stay healthy and improve our talent on the O-line. Also need a better QB.

basically everything we already knew. Amazingly we still had the ball in our hands to win at the end of the game.

RE: Coaching. Fewell is only the answer to the Bills if the top guys aren't available. He's OK. The team tries hard for him. I didn't think he got outcoached today. More like out-talented.

Disagree completely. Fewell's defense once again got trounced. We try to excuse it by writing off the talent, but the Jets aren't that much more talented on defense and they are the #2 D in the league. The difference is that Ryan knows how to dial up pressure, Fewell doesn't. In this game, you can point to the differences in the OLs, but the truth is every week Ryan can come up with something that the opposition isn't ready for and those big negative plays cover up a lot of flaws. Hell he brings heat with his reserve DB's for chrissake. Fewell? He just tries to hang on and hope the opposition makes mistakes in the redzone because he can't turn up the heat.

This tells me that Fewell is not the problem solver or gameplanner I want as a head coach. Ryan may never make a great HC because of his personality, but he has the basic starting point which Fewell does not. That's why great coordinators are given opportunities at HC jobs, not mediocre position coaches/coordinators like Fewell or Jauron(except in Buffalo).

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are absolutely correct. How are we supposed to know what kind of QB we have behind that offensive line? The Bills "brain trust," TO (part timeGM/coach), and most on this board have thrown Edwards under the bus when our biggest problem is offensive line. Fitz has had to deal with it as well.

People seem to want to run Edwards out of town. Whatever happens, happens. Unless and until we get an offensive line (and the young guys develop), it will not make any difference who we have back there.

It would be a huge mistake to waste a high pick on a QB when we have a much bigger priority. If they do end up picking a QB with our first round pick, they better upgrade our line in free agency. Otherwise, we are just repeating the same mistake all over again.

Just my two cents.

You are absolutely correct. How are we supposed to know what kind of QB we have behind that offensive line? The Bills "brain trust," TO (part timeGM/coach), and most on this board have thrown Edwards under the bus when our biggest problem is offensive line. Fitz has had to deal with it as well.

People seem to want to run Edwards out of town. Whatever happens, happens. Unless and until we get an offensive line (and the young guys develop), it will not make any difference who we have back there.

It would be a huge mistake to waste a high pick on a QB when we have a much bigger priority. If they do end up picking a QB with our first round pick, they better upgrade our line in free agency. Otherwise, we are just repeating the same mistake all over again.

Just my two cents.

Totally disagree, Peter. Yes, the line sucks, and they do need to address it, but this is a QB league and the Bills don't have one. They need one desperately. No amount of linemen will make this a team that finishes in top half of the league in offensive production if they don't solve that problem. For example, look at the Jets. Despite dominating on the line last night, they only mustered 19 points because of their passing game woes. Moreover, once Sanchez (who I do think will be good eventually) went out, the offense stunk it up behind Clemens despite dominating the line. Bottom line: the Bills need a QB first and foremost.

Plus there's the issue of a whole lotta QBs playing well behind weak offensive lines (GB, Pitt, Indy).

Who's Fitzgerald?? You mean Fitzmichael?!

My big question is "where was Lynch the rest of the game after several great plays in a row in the TD drive"? Unbelievable that they didn't use him more after that. I thought he might have been hurt, but then I saw him in there again at the end of the game. I'll say it again, unbillievable......

That's what blew my mind last night. Lynch was running well to the left and I think averaged 10 yds per carry. Where the !@#$ did he go? AVP blew this game by abandoning the run.

Totally disagree, Peter. Yes, the line sucks, and they do need to address it, but this is a QB league and the Bills don't have one. They need one desperately. No amount of linemen will make this a team that finishes in top half of the league in offensive production if they don't solve that problem. For example, look at the Jets. Despite dominating on the line last night, they only mustered 19 points because of their passing game woes. Moreover, once Sanchez (who I do think will be good eventually) went out, the offense stunk it up behind Clemens despite dominating the line. Bottom line: the Bills need a QB first and foremost.

Plus there's the issue of a whole lotta QBs playing well behind weak offensive lines (GB, Pitt, Indy).

dave, anyone who has read your posts knows that you have a lot of knowledge of football to offer but I do not agree with you here. The worst player on the lines you mention could start at any position on the Bills except LG and Center, and our LG is an improving rookie, not a star.

Too many fans (not necessarily you) concentrate too much on numbers. The Steelers have great defense, so their offense gets more chances. How would Big Ben's stats look if his team gave up yardage on the ground ala Bills? Also, I am not hearing great news wrt the health of Big Ben. Manning? He is one of the greatest qbs who ever lived. In fact, I thought that his best season was last year. Guys like him and Elways really can carry a team, but there were few in this class ever.

Imo, the problem in Buffalo is the overall Levy/Jauron, and perhaps even Fewell (who knows?) mindset. I see a team of little shrimps (so did Millen last night) and linemen who really don't belong in this league. We anxiously await the return of Bell. Doesn't this say something to you? We can't run and we can't stop the run because we a a weak little team which was built upon defensive backs. If the Jets lost D'Brick and Faneca to injury, do ya think they would suffer? Yes? Well our secondary lost a # 8 and a # 11 and barely skipped a beat, AND we play in the elements. This is insane, whereas it takes talent from other more important positions.

The Bills need a mentality similar to that of the Ravens. Until they have it they will lose, and continue to lose.

I think you're right. As important as skill is, a great quarterback needs to be THE leader. The Bills offense lacks an identity which is manifested in its QB. TO is not a leader, Lee is a spokesman but not a leader in the truest sense. The Bills don't have a QB that's a leader right now. When I hear a QB say 'its all on me' and he starts using 'I' vs. 'we' when dicussing failures to execute then I know where headed in the right direction.

A great quarterback enables the offense to dictate the play to the defense. The offense is consistently in down and distance situations where the defense has the edge (e.g. 3rd and longs all the time).

That said we need to be realistic, an upgrade at quarterback without addressing the O-line during the offseason won't be enough. If QB is #1 upgrading the O-line (most notably OT) is #1A.

dave, anyone who has read your posts knows that you have a lot of knowledge of football to offer but I do not agree with you here. The worst player on the lines you mention could start at any position on the Bills except LG and Center, and our LG is an improving rookie, not a star.

Too many fans (not necessarily you) concentrate too much on numbers. The Steelers have great defense, so their offense gets more chances. How would Big Ben's stats look if his team gave up yardage on the ground ala Bills? Also, I am not hearing great news wrt the health of Big Ben. Manning? He is one of the greatest qbs who ever lived. In fact, I thought that his best season was last year. Guys like him and Elways really can carry a team, but there were few in this class ever.

Imo, the problem in Buffalo is the overall Levy/Jauron, and perhaps even Fewell (who knows?) mindset. I see a team of little shrimps (so did Millen last night) and linemen who really don't belong in this league. We anxiously await the return of Bell. Doesn't this say something to you? We can't run and we can't stop the run because we a a weak little team which was built upon defensive backs. If the Jets lost D'Brick and Faneca to injury, do ya think they would suffer? Yes? Well our secondary lost a # 8 and a # 11 and barely skipped a beat, AND we play in the elements. This is insane, whereas it takes talent from other more important positions.

The Bills need a mentality similar to that of the Ravens. Until they have it they will lose, and continue to lose.

I never said that the Bills don't need to improve their lines. I actually think that if Butler and Wood come back healthy next year and they draft a decent LT in the first couple of rounds (think Marcus McNeill), they'll be OK. But if they deal with the QB spot, they're going nowhere.

I forgot to add that NO's starting LT was a special teamer last year. It's all about their QB.

From ESPN:

"The Saints thought they got their left tackle for a generation when they used the 13th overall pick in 2005 to take Jammal Brown out of Oklahoma. That move was working out just fine as Brown made the Pro Bowl in the 2006 and ’08 seasons.

But trouble surfaced in the preseason when Brown had to have surgeries for a hip injury and a sports hernia. Initially, the Saints thought he could return around midseason, but his recovery was slow and New Orleans decided to place Brown on injured reserve.

Brown’s injuries have given rise to one of the NFL’s biggest surprises. That’s Jermon Bushrod, who was thrust into the starting lineup after spending his first two seasons on the bench. A fourth-round pick out of Towson State, Bushrod suddenly was placed in charge of protecting Drew Brees’ back.

The amazing thing is Bushrod has done just fine. Give him lots of credit for that, but don’t go thinking he’s a Pro Bowler and the Saints should try to trade Brown in the offseason. Bushrod is not Brown. He has limitations and the Saints know it. If you watch their offense, they’ve done a lot to help Bushrod. They give him blocking help with their tight ends, fullback and running backs and it also helps that Brees has a quick release and doesn’t take many deep drops."

Like I said, it's all about the QB in NO. Feel free to say that he's one of the best in the league -- he clearly is. I for one want to aim high with regard to that position. Why can't the Bills get one of those players?