Schefter on ESPN

Kevin

Adam Schefter just said that the Bills have no options for interim HC. He mentioned Bobby April, and Perry Fewel, but said that ST has struggled against the Browns, and that Jauron has "extensive defensive knowledge" therefore making Fewel a moot point. He said that Ralph has no other option but to wait and be patient.

Looks like a new HC at seasons end though.

:censored:

We have no choice then but to hope the Bills loose the remainder of their games. If they start winning, even against crappy teams (which is unlikely) Ralph will retain Jauron under the guise that things are "turning around."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This season is already another lost cause. Jauron will finish out the season because as Schefter says, there is no better interim candidate. As Lee Evans says, firing the coach won't solve anything. We know Jauron sucks, but the problem is way deper than the head coach. the flames started about 16 years ago and the fuel was added to the fire about eight years ago. We have not recovered since.

So leave a truly incompetent person as Head Coach? If Ralph cared one iota about the fans, he would fire Jauron. It doesn't matter who replaces him. The season is lost. This is either Ralph not wanting to pay someone else a head coaching salary or publicly humiliating Jauron for the rest of the season because Ralph was dumb enough to give him a $9m extension after a fluke 5-1 start.

Let them coach themselves and draw up plays in the dirt in the huddle. Can the result be worse than 3 points against the Browns and 9 false starts?

"Are you telling me that you men finished the season on your own?

"That's a fact, Jack!!"

That about sums it up.

Thanks for a good laugh.

I agree with a poster that said most important thing is to hire a GM and talent evaluator. As much as I hate DJ and want to see him fired nobody on the staff is worth a damn. Let them attempt to devise game plans etc while the new GM and talent scouts look at what the team has. We need this ASAP so the new GM could possible do some trades to get some draft picks for overpaid under-performing players

there is an option. And this option needs to be done. Wipe out that joke of a front office and install Holmgren (or equivelent) ASAP. The rest of the season can still be valuable time to evaluate and restructure.

Holmgren would have to want to be here too...two sides to the equation

Fewell's defense has gotten shredded over and over. The fact that they held Cleveland to 2 FG's is nothing to brag about. Fewell as HC makes no sense whatsoever. Either does April at this point. There's really not much to save regarding the coaching staff. AVP is OC only because Snert got himself fired, not because AVP earned it.

Ralph is almost certainly going to wait it out to the end of the season. He dislikes paying fired employees. He will still have to eat 2 years on Jauron's contract if he fires him at the end of the season. In fact, it wouldn't shock me terribly if Ralph brought Jauron back next year.

Hell, why not keep Jauron till the end of the season and let him finish nailing his own head-coaching coffin shut?

Come on! Are there any nails left? DJ's coffin has more metal than wood at this point. The season is already lost, might as well grab some coaching talent now, while there are not 5 other losers with more money and a better location competing for the same prospects. If DJ had any honor he would resign himself and forfeit the rest of his contract entitlement. He was never up for this.

RW should at least sing up in a real NFL GM NOW for the same reason. Let that guy decide on how and when to fix the DJ problem.

Firing Schonert the week of the opener, the architect of the no huddle offense they were installing, when there was nobody else qualified at OC made no sense. Getting rid of our starting offensive line with no replacements made no sense. Getting no qualified backup to Edwards made no sense. Drafting an OLB with your top pick and then benching him even when the team is reduced to practice squad players at LB makes no sense. Putting in a no-huddle attack as if Trent Edwards were the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning made no sense.

Wilson will fire Jauron, promote the assistant strength coach to replace him, and have them install a "brand new offensive scheme" that will speed up the no-huddle... it fits the MO of this place.

As long as Wilson is the owner, the rest is irrelevant.

Two things are bothering me about Ralph's history:

1. Historically he's rewarded interim coaches by giving them another season or two as a permanent hire. (Harvey Johnson was the only true "interim" coach, because he didn't want the job.) For that reason I think the Bills are better off firing Jauron in January when Ralph would follow him with an outsider.

2. I remember hearing in the late 80's/early 90's, when Ralph's daughter Linda was involved with the team, that he listened to her. Unfortunately she died after being away from the team for several years. I don't think it's a coincidence, because otherwise Ralph has little or no history of listening to anyone about football matters. (Linda supposedly encouraged him to run the team more like other organzations, with a real GM, etc.) Hence the current front office.

Adam Schefter just said that the Bills have no options for interim HC. He mentioned Bobby April, and Perry Fewel, but said that ST has struggled against the Browns, and that Jauron has "extensive defensive knowledge" therefore making Fewel a moot point. He said that Ralph has no other option but to wait and be patient.

OK, this season Bobby April has certainly not done anything to enhance his status. He seemed brilliant last season, but doesn't seem to have it going on this year and one can argue that his special teams are the reason we are not 3-2 instead of 4-1. However, having said that, I would STILL take April as Interim HC over a full season of Jauron.

So leave a truly incompetent person as Head Coach? If Ralph cared one iota about the fans, he would fire Jauron. It doesn't matter who replaces him. The season is lost. This is either Ralph not wanting to pay someone else a head coaching salary or publicly humiliating Jauron for the rest of the season because Ralph was dumb enough to give him a $9m extension after a fluke 5-1 start.

Why the extension was given is a mystery to me other than we have not had a competent front office since a firing took place in 2001. Ralph Wilson has been in over his head since the days of Polian and Butler ended with the Bills. It will be one bad decision after another until he passes on. He doesn't want to pay any more than he has to either to the front office of the coaching staff.

This season is lost and we're playing for a #1 draft pick. The paper bags will be plentiful at the Ralph. I don't think Ralph cares about the fans as long as he has his season ticket revenue. I guess he'll hope that the top pick will sell tickets for next year.

Two things are bothering me about Ralph's history:

1. Historically he's rewarded interim coaches by giving them another season or two as a permanent hire. (Harvey Johnson was the only true "interim" coach, because he didn't want the job.) For that reason I think the Bills are better off firing Jauron in January when Ralph would follow him with an outsider.

2. I remember hearing in the late 80's/early 90's, when Ralph's daughter Linda was involved with the team, that he listened to her. Unfortunately she died after being away from the team for several years. I don't think it's a coincidence, because otherwise Ralph has little or no history of listening to anyone about football matters. (Linda supposedly encouraged him to run the team more like other organzations, with a real GM, etc.) Hence the current front office.

As much as I want Jauron and company gone, that is my primary concern. There's absolutely no way anyone currently on the staff is head coach material. So, what happens if you fir Jauron, give April or Fewell the interim job and then we win 3 of the last 5 or something stupid like that?

So, I'm torn. I want desparately for Jauron to be gone. However, if his replacement is someone currently on the staff... well I guess I can wait till season's end. Either way, I really don't see it changing much. This season is completely lost regardless of who's the HC.

Sucks.

What are chances one of the top guys - Holmgren, Cowher, Gruden, etc. - come to Buffalo mid season? Not saying any of them would be hired at all. I'm just wondering more... how often you see a major coaching overhaul midseason? I can't really remember one.

I don't know what's worse: DJ being here still, or the paper-thin roster. Neither helps the other, and both get worse each week.

Maybe they find DJ attractive enough to keep around because he doesn't complain how bad the talent is on this roster. Late round draft picks, UDFA's, street free agents, with a sprinkling of high priced players is what it amount to now.

I don't (edit: think )we know how bad it is. After four off-seasons of rebuilding, they've got a roster that's worse than what was left from TD in 2005.

You were down on the team all offseason, and you were correct. This roster is just pitiful.. And the coaching is just as bad. Bell, Scott and Chambers would not make any other teams roster in the NFL. Simple as that. Fine would not either. Trent Edwards may go the route of JP and not get another chance on an NFL roster as well. On defense, other than Poz, no LB would start for anybody else. And I very much doubt that anyone other than Kawika would be a backup either. It is just unbelievable how bad the talent evaluators have been for us. I watch a lot of pro and college football, and truly believe that I could bring in better talent in Free Agency and thru the draft if I made it my fulltime job.

On another point, why is Nick Harris and Steve Johnson not playing? And why is TE still playing.

If Ralph hires a new coach and GM now, the benefit is the GM is in before the trade deadline. He could potentially start building his team for next year RIGHT NOW and not wait for the offseason.

there is an option. And this option needs to be done. Wipe out that joke of a front office and install Holmgren (or equivelent) ASAP. The rest of the season can still be valuable time to evaluate and restructure.

No good coach will want to be put in that situation. They are going to want to wait and play the first game only after a draft, some free agents, his own assistant coaches and offensive and defensive schemes. Why would anyone want to sit through the rest of this season with the last guy's personnel, the last guy's assistants and the last guy's schemes?

No way.

This season is already over. Get whoever the hell it is in here now, clean house now and start over now! If it's Holmgren, Cowher or Joe Blow. I don't care. Get Jauron out of here NOW. WTF is so hard for RW to understand????????? Senile old tool.

This is also a way for Ralph to humiliate Jauron. Ralph knows he can't pull the old fire the coordinator routine and recoup any of Jauron's money. So the only thing left to do is keep Jauron and have the fans boo him during the remaining 4 home games. Meanwhile, Ralph the weasel is afraid to show his face on the field and take any responsibility for this mess.

Ralph isn't that petty. He's a businessman. He doesn't think that way.

No offense, but that idea is plain goofy.