Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

You have no idea what Runyon's or Levi Jone's health is like. Walker was too big and too slow for the new scheme - the Bills cut him for a reason. So far the Bills have made the right choices with the line (yes I still think they were stupid to have let the Peters situation go bad but they made lemonade from it and it is time to move on).

I have to agree with this. I don't think there were many people more critical of the Bills' off season transactions in regards to the O line than I was. Right now that crow is lodged squarely in my throat. Apparently the Bills coaches and front office had better knowledge of the situation than myself, and thus, the lesson is learned and I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in finding what they believe the best possible replacement. Just what I have read about Jamon Meredith indicates that they in fact know what they are doing.

After watching how effective our line has been thus far, I think none of us should utter even the slightest doubt about their personnel decisions at this time.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are also talking about the team that let Favre walk, despite the fact that he carried the facking franchise for his entire career there. They also DID NOT make any attempt whatsoever to sign Randy Moss when they had the chance. So really I have no faith in Packers' personnel decisions anyway.

Randy Moss was never elligible to be "signed" until after he was in NE and GB had absolutely no need for Moss with the arsenal of WR's they have. Not to mention, Moss never wanted to leave NE and Tom Brady...

So the only thing I can think of that you could be talking about is prior when Farve needed a weapon...but there is a problem there too, Moss was NEVER a free agent until after his first year in NE...so how could they have "signed" him?

So they NEVER had a chance to sign Moss...ever...where do you come up with this dribble? Not to mention, just about everyone thinks that Rodgers was the right decision after seeing him play now. Which shows, they know more about their personel then fans who are blinded by names and past glory.

GB's front office is one of the better ones in football

Interesting to say the least. This team certainly is full of surprises this year! Personally, I'm just glad they signed someone. I was beginning to think they planned to use Roscoe as a back up tackle.

But, for the naysayers, look at it this way... If the Bills had drafted him in the 5th round (pick 157) instead of Nic Harris or in the the 6th (pick 183) rather than Cary Harris (the Pack selected him at pick 162); how would our draft have looked? He likely would have still entered the season on our practice squad only to be promoted this week. Would it suddenly be a better situation?

I agree, my first thought was what decent veterans are out there? But seriously, after Runyan, which no one is seeming to rush to sign; who was out there to be a solid veteran backup?

Interesting to say the least. This team certainly is full of surprises this year! Personally, I'm just glad they signed someone. I was beginning to think they planned to use Roscoe as a back up tackle.

But, for the naysayers, look at it this way... If the Bills had drafted him in the 5th round (pick 157) instead of Nic Harris or in the the 6th (pick 183) rather than Cary Harris (the Pack selected him at pick 162); how would our draft have looked? He likely would have still entered the season on our practice squad only to be promoted this week. Would it suddenly be a better situation?

I agree, my first thought was what decent veterans are out there? But seriously, after Runyan, which no one is seeming to rush to sign; who was out there to be a solid veteran backup?

Just a hunch, I bet the Bills were eying him at 157 but couldn't believe that Nelson fell to them and had to snatch him up. I agree - if the Bills had drafted Meredith, the Board would be talking about how it was good foresight in light of Butler's injury. People are strange here.

that's exactly my question. Can any team sign any player from their practice squad? does it need to be agreed to? how does it work?

Don't have the answer, but if it is yes, then we damn well better protect Stupar somehow, especially

with the Schouman injury! Man we can't afford to let someone snatch him, IMO.

Don't have the answer, but if it is yes, then we damn well better protect Stupar somehow, especially

with the Schouman injury! Man we can't afford to let someone snatch him, IMO.

"a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive (i.e., 53 man) list. A practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club's next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks."

My opinion on this is when you have an O line playing as well as this one is with a 7th round LT, 2 rookie guards, a 1st year free agent back up center, and a 5th round cast off from somewhere else.....

And they are playing this well......

Then you know what you are doing......let them do their thing. If they felt Runyon wasn't the answer then I respect their opinion.......

I REALLY love this move!

He was one of the top 10 OT's in this draft and was considered a steal by the Packers where he was taken. He showed a lot of promise during the Preseason and if you look around at Packers boards, no one is pleased. It's not one of those "meh, whatever, we lost a PS player"; they're pissed and rightfully so.

Jon Runyan is in declining health everybody. He's got reconstructed knees. He visited with multiple teams following his Dr. saying he was medically cleared and no one signed him. Even when the Eagles starting RT went down, they brought him in and STILL didn't want him.

And this was the team he gained his fame in and knew him better than anyone else!

Jamon Meredith is not on the last leg of his career. He's a prospect with tons of potential. He's probably the best available at the moment, in my opinion.

Incorrect as I posted earlier. A player can choose whether to sign an offer or not which means he could have spoke to Green Bay first.

Signing With Other Clubs:

(a) Any player under contract to a Club as a practice squad player shall be completely free to negotiate

and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during the League Year, to serve as a player on any

Club’s Active or Inactive List, and any Club is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract

with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation

between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player shall not be

permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a practice squad player while under contract

as a practice squad player.

In other words, the club offering the contract would have a right to prevent first refusal rights from the other club. If I were trying to sign a guy, I would say, "Hey, here's the offer. You sign it right now, or the offer is gone. We're not here to start a bidding competition for you . Sign it right now, or the offer is gone."

I would expect that that's the way it actually goes.

Ever heard of a case where a team makes an offer and the team whose practice squad the player is on outbids them? That's an honest question. And if you can't produce even one case, I suspect it's because teams do what I suggested above and there's not really an actual chance to start a bidding war.

No other team has seen anyone worth what they are asking for on scrap heap either. If Bills do not pay as much as some want, some criticize; if Bills do pay for what some want, some criticize, sometimes same people.

As Marv said "When you start listening to fans you start sitting with them".

Bills' staff saw him play in person during preseason and had him rated by scouts when looking at draft which is probably why they decided to sign him. If he does not work out they can release him and sign him to practice squad if he passes waivers.

He is reported as athletic with a good head on his shoulders. Second best time for offensive linemen in scouting combine. He's played every position on the line, so he's versatile. He played for Steve Spurrier (remember the high priced coach some here praised $nyder for signing?) which indicates he will be more likely to pick up NFL game quicker. Some in Carolina said he needed stronger OL coaching and Sean Kugler will provide that to him.

Another John Guy jem.

Well, they looked pretty good actually over the first 4 games just last year. They scored 34, 20, 24 and 31. They threw for 215, 239 and 279 and Freddie and Lynch combined for over a 100 yards two or three times as well. But I agree, I like this pick up better than an older guy more susceptible to injury. Plus, this guy can move at least which seems to be the direction they want to go in after trying for years to do it with size.

Those were four absolutely terrible teams they played. That may have a lot to do with why we looked good.

Not a bad move, but so much for filling the leadership void. I guess on the down side, these guys don't know how to win. On the up side, though, they don't know how to lose! After the first two weeks and the way the line's come together, I'm inclined to agree that it's better than overpaying someone that clearly won't fit the system.

not sure what his actual active salary is, but practice squad players make about $80,000/year

Section 3. Salary: Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $4,700 per week for the 2006-07 League Years, $5,200 per week for the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $5,700 per week for the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs.