Russ Brandon & Co.

Tipster19

My impression of what happened today gives me encouragement that we are finally committed to really building this team with the kind of players that a lot of us have coveted for a very long time. None of what I'm about to say is built on fact, just strictly opinion and intuition.

I believe that Russ Brandon is resolved in ridding the roster of deadwood and replacing them with players who are gung ho about playing football. Unfortunately it's not going to be in the timeframe that we all have long been waiting for. That's ok with me, I'm just happy to see our organization finally taking the neccessary steps in moving in this direction. I'd rather sacrifice this season, if that's what it will take, to insure the future growth of this team. I know that we all have been sold this bill of goods before with the Donahoe regime but somehow I feel that this is different, much different. There have been numerous bold moves this whole off season to right up to today. I refuse to believe that any of these moves were knee jerk decisions but instead were a pledge that was made back several months ago to do what is called for to bring back the quality of players and football to Western New York that we experienced in past decades. No more of players just showing up for paychecks but instead obtaining football players, real football players who are willing to take their livelihood seriously and that are willing to play all out. No more indecisiveness on who they are suppose to be and who and where they play for.

I don't think that all the players who deserve to be rid of are all gone but I will say that a message was sent and it was loud and clear. There is no one that is untouchable regardless of the need and vulnerbility of position. I will venture to say that the remaining players are realizing that they better buy in or get out and I applaud this mentality, it's been long overdue. I don't feel that Jauron is the driving force behind these decisions but moreso Brandon and maybe some others but they all deserve credit and our support in finally really making big time decisions and having the guts to do it regardless of how foolish it may look to the rest of the league and even to us, the fanbase, for that matter.

I'm advocating to celebrate these latest developements instead of languishing in them. It's always dark at night before the morning and there is going to be a new dawn arising in Buffalo.

I'm quite confident that the 2010 draft will be bringing us a tackle in the 1st round with the mentality and ability of a Eric Wood. In the interm I wouldn't be surprise to see the Bills make a trade for an OL in the very near future. An OL like the Packers' Scott Wells is the type of player/person that I would expect Buffalo to consider. I'm not so worried about what the short and long term solution is for our OL but I'm much more concerned about our QB situation. I'm not implying that Trent Edwards is not the answer but instead I just don't know what to make or think of this player and position. I also believe that for our administration to make these tough decisions they must also feel confident in some of our current unknown players, at least I hope they do.

One last thing that I would like to mention. For the first time in a very long time I find something refreshing about this team. I always have these expectations that are never met and I'm felt to feel disappointed, heartbroken and frustrated. Now in the aftermath of all that has happened in this off season I am left with no lofty hopes and goals. Anything that is accomplished this season will be a success to some degree and I will feel that for once this team actually exceeded expectations and overachieved to some extent and this will actually leave me thrilled, less of course we were to go 0-16.

I hope that I wasn't too boring but after today this whole situation in Buffalo impacted me in this unexpected way. I hope some of you can feel this way about our team.

My impression of what happened today gives me encouragement that we are finally committed to really building this team with the kind of players that a lot of us have coveted for a very long time. None of what I'm about to say is built on fact, just strictly opinion and intuition.

I believe that Russ Brandon is resolved in ridding the roster of deadwood and replacing them with players who are gung ho about playing football. Unfortunately it's not going to be in the timeframe that we all have long been waiting for. That's ok with me, I'm just happy to see our organization finally taking the neccessary steps in moving in this direction. I'd rather sacrifice this season, if that's what it will take, to insure the future growth of this team. I know that we all have been sold this bill of goods before with the Donahoe regime but somehow I feel that this is different, much different. There have been numerous bold moves this whole off season to right up to today. I refuse to believe that any of these moves were knee jerk decisions but instead were a pledge that was made back several months ago to do what is called for to bring back the quality of players and football to Western New York that we experienced in past decades. No more of players just showing up for paychecks but instead obtaining football players, real football players who are willing to take their livelihood seriously and that are willing to play all out. No more indecisiveness on who they are suppose to be and who and where they play for.

I don't think that all the players who deserve to be rid of are all gone but I will say that a message was sent and it was loud and clear. There is no one that is untouchable regardless of the need and vulnerbility of position. I will venture to say that the remaining players are realizing that they better buy in or get out and I applaud this mentality, it's been long overdue. I don't feel that Jauron is the driving force behind these decisions but moreso Brandon and maybe some others but they all deserve credit and our support in finally really making big time decisions and having the guts to do it regardless of how foolish it may look to the rest of the league and even to us, the fanbase, for that matter.

I'm advocating to celebrate these latest developements instead of languishing in them. It's always dark at night before the morning and there is going to be a new dawn arising in Buffalo.

I'm quite confident that the 2010 draft will be bringing us a tackle in the 1st round with the mentality and ability of a Eric Wood. In the interm I wouldn't be surprise to see the Bills make a trade for an OL in the very near future. An OL like the Packers' Scott Wells is the type of player/person that I would expect Buffalo to consider. I'm not so worried about what the short and long term solution is for our OL but I'm much more concerned about our QB situation. I'm not implying that Trent Edwards is not the answer but instead I just don't know what to make or think of this player and position. I also believe that for our administration to make these tough decisions they must also feel confident in some of our current unknown players, at least I hope they do.

One last thing that I would like to mention. For the first time in a very long time I find something refreshing about this team. I always have these expectations that are never met and I'm felt to feel disappointed, heartbroken and frustrated. Now in the aftermath of all that has happened in this off season I am left with no lofty hopes and goals. Anything that is accomplished this season will be a success to some degree and I will feel that for once this team actually exceeded expectations and overachieved to some extent and this will actually leave me thrilled, less of course we were to go 0-16.

I hope that I wasn't too boring but after today this whole situation in Buffalo impacted me in this unexpected way. I hope some of you can feel this way about our team.

hey Russ - nice spin

I know it's tough to gut your team the week before the season starts and convince the fans it's a good thing.

Whatever Ralph pays you, it's not enough for the genius you've brought to the PR and marketing of this craptacular product

keep up the good work

PS - your job would be a lot easier if you hired an NFL caliber front office and coaching staff.

I am not sure I can agree. Think about this, why is kelsay and Schoebel still around? And Ellison too. And Why do we have a marketing guy as our head football man? And why is a 91 year old owner still meddling in football affairs. I honestly think the Bills will never be viable unless they get a quality GM, HC and coordinators. Until then we wont even be mediocre.

How many teams rebuild or semi-rebuild twice within four seasons? The franchise needs to rebuild in one area before the actual players-the front office. Russ Brandon is a GM in name only, because RW is making all the moves aside from probably draft picks and some UFA's. A 91 year old man running the franchise is not encouraging.

Only Oakland goes down as a team worse than Buffalo's front office. Furthermore, the Bills have taken saving money to a new height. With the release of Walker, they save 3M, but his contract counts 4.5M against the cap. This is how to hit the cap minimum without spending to it. Peters counts against the cap, but isn't on the team. This is a nasty trend.

More Bills fans need to research the league and learn how other teams work. Management is horrible, and it is absolutely unequivocally not acceptable to rebuild or semi-rebuild again. This team is all about hype and getting fans to buy tickets. But they have not delivered a playoff team in many years.

The Bills as a Franchise are broken and it starts at the top working it's way down...These small moves will prove to be of little effect because the Coaches and FO personnel that brought in the likes of Walker and Doc, and hired Schonert are still around...How in the name of God does Jon Guy still have a Job? And I guess it's not bad enough that Dead Dick is one of the worst Game Day Coaches in the NFL, it's also glaringly apparent that He cannot evaluate talent worth a damn either...Jauron has had a say in every personnel move since He's been here...Signing Walker and Doc, extending Kelsay, Drafting a freaking undersized safety at #8 Overall...And to boot He can't Coach his way out of a paper bag...Is there any greater mismatch in Professional Sports than Belichick vs. Jauron?

The real messages will be sent sometime in the next few Months when Jauron, Guy and the rest of this joke-squad are gone forever...

Thanks Ralph, thanks Marv... :devil:

Sometimes we're a bit like the NFL's version of the Florida Marlins ... without the titles. The big difference is that the collective loyalty to the Bills is so deep that we keep coming back, no matter what.

We see that Bills logo as part of our family crest but to Ralph & Co. it's another business unit. Sure, Ralph wants to win, but when push comes to shove he knows he doesn't have to. Not exactly a profound observation, but that seems to be the crux of just about everything, because it seems to drive almost all of the unpopular decisions.

We let ourselves fall in love with a working girl.

May I ask how many season tickets do you have and how long have you had them?

You really think cutting players at a position of weakness with largish free agent contract is going to excite players and make only those "gung ho about football" want to come to Buffalo? Really? They replaced Walker with Kirk Freakin' Chambers. You know, the guy that wasn't on an NFL team a few years ago and just passed the waiver wire the other day cause no other team had an interest in him?

It all starts from the top. If Russ really had such a plan, then he also needs a tough coach and he would have got rid of Dick Jauron in the 1st place to put a coach who is tough on the players...But he did not do that....I would not like give that much credit to Russ before he has achieved anything on the field with the personnel he has assembled.

You really think cutting players at a position of weakness with largish free agent contract is going to excite players and make only those "gung ho about football" want to come to Buffalo? Really? They replaced Walker with Kirk Freakin' Chambers. You know, the guy that wasn't on an NFL team a few years ago and just passed the waiver wire the other day cause no other team had an interest in him?

As the OBD has said, Walker is not being replaced by Chambers....They are adding Chambers to backup the Tackle positions.

Sometimes we're a bit like the NFL's version of the Florida Marlins ... without the titles. The big difference is that the collective loyalty to the Bills is so deep that we keep coming back, no matter what.

We see that Bills logo as part of our family crest but to Ralph & Co. it's another business unit. Sure, Ralph wants to win, but when push comes to shove he knows he doesn't have to. Not exactly a profound observation, but that seems to be the crux of just about everything, because it seems to drive almost all of the unpopular decisions.

At least the Marlins won those titles and had a relevant front office that could spot talent. Small market teams are at a disadvantage, but not anything insurmountable. You must have people in the front office who can recognize and develop talent, which the Bills do not and are unwilling to build. Buddy Nix is a nice story, but all NFL teams have an executive at GM or similar position to bring it all together.

Buffalo's management structure consists of a 91 year old man, business guy with no power, and holdovers from the TD regime. I used to think only CIN and OAK had it worse with their owners running those teams. Now I'm not so sure.

As the OBD has said, Walker is not being replaced by Chambers....They are adding Chambers to backup the Tackle positions.

Walker was not kept on the team as even a backup and Chambers was re-signed. Put whatever spin from the mouthpieces you want on it, the fact is that Chambers replaced Walker on this roster.

I will agree when Kelsay is cut and we trade to get Copland Bryan back...

You know they're f'ed up if they didn't have the foresight last week to simply keep Chambers and cut Walker. Instead, they made things more complicated for themselves. What a joke.

Wow that was a tremendous piece of bull$ht. You're certainly willing to drink the kool-aid OBD has been serving for the past 10 years.

This team is an absolute and utter embarrassment to the fans, the NFL, and the city of Buffalo.

The desperation and complete incompetence on every level of this "franchise" is palpable.

We are right there with the Lions, Cinci, and Raiders as the jokes of the NFL.

Keep dreaming. Until Ralph is dead or sells the team we will continue our descent to the bottom because we aren't even there yet. Things are going to get worse if that's possible.

Jauron is gone by week 4.

Until the Bills make the playoffs I'm not listening to one thing that comes out of OBD. It's all crap.

RTB

The problem with your logic is that all of them will be fired if they don't make the playoffs or at least have a winning record. The chance of them being successful looks exceedingly slim right now: a LT who has never played against credible opposition, a new OC with no experience, a chaotic August, and lots of other issues. The one thing they have going for them is the lack of injuries, which is no small thing. That's unpredictable, however. I also think that Edwards might surprise a lot of people this year.

The bigger question is what happens next year assuming Brandon, Guy, Modrak, Jauron, and the rest of the crew are fired. Wilson has hired a big name coach before -- Chuck Knox. All things considered, that worked out quite well. Would he do it again? One would think not, but then again it's pretty clear that the strategy of paying players instead of coaches and front office people is an unmitigated failure. If the Bills take the swan dive that everyone expects them to this year, I could see a rethink that pushes them toward hiring a credible coach. There will be a number of them out there next year.

Tipster,

your post and attitude is commendable and as fans, I'm sure alot of us would like to feel the same way. But we've gone through these "rebuildings" and "things will now start to head in the right direction" scenarios long enough, and there's only so much of this BS you can take. From now on, I'll remain skeptical until I see the results. I'll still root for the team, but I wont expect much until there is a complete overhaul, and that means at the very top.

I don't think Brandon gets the axe. Rather, I think he gets the opportunity to pick a head coach he wants. In fact, I think Brandon, Modrak and Overdorf are relatively safe, much to the chagrin of some Bills fans.

RB is not the GM. RW is the GM. RB is RW's caddy and "gofer" and his title is COO. Ralph will say if and when Guy, Overdorf, Modrak,Jauron go. Then Russ will tell em Ralph sez move on.

Russ as a GM is a joke. He can sell ice to an eskimo, and that's his forte. He'd be in over his head in a GM position. If he had any GM savvy and clout, the entire Jauron regime plus a few in the front office would have been kicked to the curb after last season.

I am not sure I can agree. Think about this, why is kelsay and Schoebel still around? And Ellison too. And Why do we have a marketing guy as our head football man? And why is a 91 year old owner still meddling in football affairs. I honestly think the Bills will never be viable unless they get a quality GM, HC and coordinators. Until then we wont even be mediocre.

There's still work to be done but it can't all be done overnight. I wouldn't be surprised if Schoebel is gone by next year, or before, and Kelsay is offered to become a LB under a restructured contract for 2010. I don't believe either of these two players will be our DEs next year.

I love your phrasing and terminology, it's excellent!

May I ask how many season tickets do you have and how long have you had them?

None. I bought into the Bills long, long ago.

It all starts from the top. If Russ really had such a plan, then he also needs a tough coach and he would have got rid of Dick Jauron in the 1st place to put a coach who is tough on the players...But he did not do that....I would not like give that much credit to Russ before he has achieved anything on the field with the personnel he has assembled.

I don't have the time now but it might even be a great post for someone to start about ALL of the moves that Brandon has made since he was in charge full time. The mentality of the personnel that were either added or that were replaced is shockingly different. This guy is getting rid of the primadonnas and replacing them maniacs. I love it!

Wow that was a tremendous piece of bull$ht. You're certainly willing to drink the kool-aid OBD has been serving for the past 10 years.

This team is an absolute and utter embarrassment to the fans, the NFL, and the city of Buffalo.

The desperation and complete incompetence on every level of this "franchise" is palpable.

We are right there with the Lions, Cinci, and Raiders as the jokes of the NFL.

Keep dreaming. Until Ralph is dead or sells the team we will continue our descent to the bottom because we aren't even there yet. Things are going to get worse if that's possible.

Jauron is gone by week 4.

Until the Bills make the playoffs I'm not listening to one thing that comes out of OBD. It's all crap.

RTB

I'm sorry you feel this way.

The problem with your logic is that all of them will be fired if they don't make the playoffs or at least have a winning record. The chance of them being successful looks exceedingly slim right now: a LT who has never played against credible opposition, a new OC with no experience, a chaotic August, and lots of other issues. The one thing they have going for them is the lack of injuries, which is no small thing. That's unpredictable, however. I also think that Edwards might surprise a lot of people this year.

The bigger question is what happens next year assuming Brandon, Guy, Modrak, Jauron, and the rest of the crew are fired. Wilson has hired a big name coach before -- Chuck Knox. All things considered, that worked out quite well. Would he do it again? One would think not, but then again it's pretty clear that the strategy of paying players instead of coaches and front office people is an unmitigated failure. If the Bills take the swan dive that everyone expects them to this year, I could see a rethink that pushes them toward hiring a credible coach. There will be a number of them out there next year.

I'm not thinking play-offs anymore although that's not an impossibility. People are worried about Van Pelt and his inexperience as a OC. This is one of the funnier things that have been floating around since this promotion. The guy was the offensive quality control coach. Does anyone know what that is? I think not or otherwise people would be applauding this promotion. The quality control coach is the data base for EVERYTHING that happens for the team. They draw up plays for the coach, they know what the percentage on offensive plays versus downs against defenses etc etc. I'm not worried about this guy at all. Brandon is not going anywheres and I don't believe Jauron ever really mattered since Brandon took full reign. No matter what happens this year Jauron will never get fired before the season ends, he's too congenial and he's really not that important. If the bottom does fall out this year he will be replaced period. I mentioned Schottenheimer in an earlier post (like several others did) and I think that he would be an excellent choice in the event that Jauron can't get it together this year.

Tipster,

your post and attitude is commendable and as fans, I'm sure alot of us would like to feel the same way. But we've gone through these "rebuildings" and "things will now start to head in the right direction" scenarios long enough, and there's only so much of this BS you can take. From now on, I'll remain skeptical until I see the results. I'll still root for the team, but I wont expect much until there is a complete overhaul, and that means at the very top.

Thank you and I can understand the way that you feel. I'm not happy either with all the BS that has been going on with this team for the last several years but I really do think that we are finally moving forward from being complacent.

I don't think Brandon gets the axe. Rather, I think he gets the opportunity to pick a head coach he wants. In fact, I think Brandon, Modrak and Overdorf are relatively safe, much to the chagrin of some Bills fans.
I couldn't agree with you more. Excellent insight LynchMob23. :devil:

I would love to jump aboard your wagon, but I feel that it may be teetering way too close to falling off a long cliff to the rocks far below.

Phew! Some thoughts...

...I don't believe Brandon deserves credit as the catalyst to any of these personnel moves. I'll give him props for Owens, but I am starting to see that as strictly a marketing ploy for those Toronto/ Canadian dollars more so than building a winning team on the FIELD- not the bank.

No, from Turk to Walker, Rhodes to Chambers...I think this is Jauron (and possibly Wilson). Brandon comes across to me as too much of a 'yes man'. I don't see him having the balls or flat out experience to challenge Wilson enough to stick his neck out the way say, an established GM like Polian or AJ Smith might do. Brandon does what he is told.

Walker was a weak/ average tackle. Chambers is a weak tackle. The true test is if these guys wait on the free agent market. Chambers cleared waivers. Is it a surprise that he was available? If walker lasts longer than a week on the market, then I would be less judgemental of the Bills and the decision to can him. He, like Kelsay, is way overpaid for the resuting production.

I do applaud strong moves, but will they have the desired effect based on their timing? I mean, if I was Trent I would be somewhat scared. First, my offseason offensive coordinator was canned, which regardless of their relationship causes some shakiness leading up to the first game against the Pats, no less. Second, now my backside is in question since a.) my Pro Bowl LT was traded away and b) the veteran who is going to replace him is now waived and he is replaced with a relative rookie.

Wilson gave jauron an ultimatum last offseason...that the offense had better be improved or else. Schonert paid the price of that one.

But Walker being cut? Why couldn't he be a backup at RT? Dollars and cents...

I sincerely wish the Bills the best; I really do. I have my Sunday ticket renewed, and will give my 3 hours every week.

And when is John Guy going to be held accountable for bringing in nothing but duds during his tenure? He was brought in by Donahoe (along with Modrak) and should be replaced (along with Modrak). Buddy Nix is back, and that makes me feel better about the prospects of the future. But Guy has GOT TO GO!!

I am starting to believe that this 'team' is being positioned for sale given Ralph's age and eventual demise. Just looking at the moves being made, the overall lack of commitment to winning (sounds eerily similar to another Buffalo sport franchise), and the nickel-and-diming of the roster...it all reeks to me of being save and sound and be a solid investment for a potential (any) buyer.

The past 3 drafts have been solid (this years looks really promising), and they do have some good players.

But I am starting to think that the team is on hiatus until Ralph passes. If they overreach on contracts and thus hamstring it by mortgaging the future...this would hurt its appearance to some suitors.

Why else hang on to the useless Guy, Modrak, and Jauron?

Bring in Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher, or Gruden as both coach AND GM if you want to win.

How many teams rebuild or semi-rebuild twice within four seasons? The franchise needs to rebuild in one area before the actual players-the front office. Russ Brandon is a GM in name only, because RW is making all the moves aside from probably draft picks and some UFA's. A 91 year old man running the franchise is not encouraging.

Only Oakland goes down as a team worse than Buffalo's front office. Furthermore, the Bills have taken saving money to a new height. With the release of Walker, they save 3M, but his contract counts 4.5M against the cap. This is how to hit the cap minimum without spending to it. Peters counts against the cap, but isn't on the team. This is a nasty trend.

More Bills fans need to research the league and learn how other teams work. Management is horrible, and it is absolutely unequivocally not acceptable to rebuild or semi-rebuild again. This team is all about hype and getting fans to buy tickets. But they have not delivered a playoff team in many years.

BillsVet, The old codger owner just made an additional $3 million dollars with the Langston cut. If he would have used a portion of that money or the Toronto heist money to upgrade the front office and coaching staff I could go along with what is going on. The denuding of the team makes his wallet get fatter and his team get worse. The owner might not be very interested in fielding a winning team but he sure knows how to increase the profit margin. Ralph is what he is and always has been. What you see as a nasty trend is what I see how he has always operated. There should be no surprise. :devil:

http://media.www.cardinalcourieronline.com...7-page2.shtml#4

Russ Brandon ballwashing article.

Interesting quote:

On Jan. 12, 2007, after spending two years as the Executive Vice President of Business Operations, Brandon was named the new Bills COO and took control over both business and football operations.

While the majority of his career has been based on business, Brandon said he has not had a hard time with the transition.

"It has been a nominal transition," he said. "The last 10 years I've been involved in every process from the draft to free agency.

This guy who was brought to the Bills for his skill as a baseball marketing guy has been involved in drafts and FAs for 10 years since he got here. pretty common theme within those 10 years too...

Interesting quote:

This guy who was brought to the Bills for his skill as a baseball marketing guy has been involved in drafts and FAs for 10 years since he got here. pretty common theme within those 10 years too...

AWESOME!!

Thanks for the post!

Interesting quote:

Involvement does not denote control. Just because I work in budgeting at a University would not denote I'm the person responsible for getting someone fired. In fact, because of his involvement and as Tipster noted the stark contrast of the recent events I would surmise that the power given to him has allowed for changes he's seen needed to be done being done.

And despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth that is going on, I think he will eventually remove more people/players - and depending on the Bills record John Guy may be one of them...