AVP - Great person, but as Coach...

Griswold

AVP is a class act. I can't put my finger on specific reasons, but my image of AVP is as a class act.

Having said that, his credentials to be OC are about the same as Turk = backup QBs with thin and mediocre records.

Actually, if you like player W-L records, Turk handily beats AVP. As starter: Turk is 7-5, AVP is 2-5.

I think the key to AVP success will be whether he tries to "overhaul" the system, or whether he tries to "refine" it gradually. If AVP comes in with gradual changes to the Schonert system, he will experience moderate success. If he comes in with a system rebuild, we're doooomed.

AVP is a class act. I can't put my finger on specific reasons, but my image of AVP is as a class act.

Having said that, his credentials to be OC are about the same as Turk = backup QBs with thin and mediocre records.

Actually, if you like player W-L records, Turk handily beats AVP. As starter: Turk is 7-5, AVP is 2-5.

I think the key to AVP success will be whether he tries to "overhaul" the system, or whether he tries to "refine" it gradually. If AVP comes in with gradual changes to the Schonert system, he will experience moderate success. If he comes in with a system rebuild, we're doooomed.

Are you suggesting that because they were similar players that they will be similar coaches? Because Gary Kubiak and Jason Garrett fall under those guidelines as well and they did fine as OC's.

His credentials are actually slightly better than Turk's: van Pelt has no track record of being a suck-ass offensive coordinator.

As soon as I saw the headlines that Shonert was fired....I said to myself....Old Ralph wont hire anyone...he will probably make Vanpelt OC.

And sure enough I was right. It was predictable. This sh-- has got to stop. Im sure the water boy will be promoted to QB coach.

If you want to bring in a backup quarterback that has experience around the no huddle, why not hire Frank Reich. He has to be a better option than Turd

I was just saying that to my wife as we were discussing the big news.

I would LOVE for us to bring back Frank!

He is currently in his first year as QB Coach in Indy - working with Peyton Manning. If we can't get him this year, let's recruit him for next year!

The FRANK for OC campaign begins!... :pirate:

It's really more the playcalling itself. Do you call a pass play on 3rd and 1 or up the gut? Maybe a screen? Same offensive system, just hopefully more aggressive and a variety of plays. Maybe even a screen pass or god forbid a play over 10 yards will be called.

Good luck Alex!

Hopefully Alex figures out that you need to take a few chances, especially against teams that have way better coaches!

I was just saying that to my wife as we were discussing the big news.

I would LOVE for us to bring back Frank!

He is currently in his first year as QB Coach in Indy - working with Peyton Manning. If we can't get him this year, let's recruit him for next year!

The FRANK for OC campaign begins!... :thumbsup:

Why bring in the back up? Who was calling plays when we started the no huddle?

His credentials are actually slightly better than Turk's: van Pelt has no track record of being a suck-ass offensive coordinator.

Err wrong, his one year being the OC of the Frankfurt Galaxy 2005 he managed to win just 3 out of 10 and finished last posting one of the worst seasons in the history of Frankfurt. The new OC in 2006 took the Galaxy to win the World Bowl.

yes!!!

I think this has to do with AVP knowing the system and the guys. If the Bills lose and are not going to go anywhere offensively I think they will not keep AVP but find a new coach.

This is not DJ of past move. I think it is a sign of desperation, knowing something has to be done.

Hell, i'd be happy if AVP makes it to the point where i no longer can predict what play is coming based on the package/personnel on the field.

Lets see, 2 WRs, 2 TEs, and Josh reed just motioned across and lined up off the TE? Yup, its a run to the right.

How often do you see an outside OC or DC come in mid-stream...answer is never. It is simply unrealisitc to change an entire system on the fly. Promoting AVP was the only move at this point. If he is successful then he got his chance and makes the best of it. If not, then we are looking at a whole new coaching staff anyway.

By the way, I am sure that that the "system" is fine. The knock I have, and I don't think I am alone here, is that the play calling was terrible...not playing to strengths, not going down field, no screens, etc....lets see what we got and enjoy the ride.