Maybin Update

The Dean

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think it's ironic that the three drafted highest holdouts have issues associateed with each:

1. Andre Smith--weight and possible discipline/attitude issues; suspended for bowl game for undisclosed issues; stock dropped drastically for walking out of the combine

2. Michael Crabtree--didn't run the 40 due to injured foot; questions about being a system player; and more injuries

3. Aaron Maybin--concerns whether 1 year wonder; tweener, not sure if can maintain a DE's weight when he's at that threshold now

Makes you wonder if they wanna cash out early just in case they don't they don't end up performing and warranting a follow on top tier contract.

That is exactly what should be done and the process should have either already begun or it should begin VERY soon.

The only thing I would add is that the Bills should break with tradition and announce their offer and the decreasing terms publicly. They should explain their position and allow their fans to understand. They should invite Maybin to state his position as well. This would squelch any complaints because any position Maybin might have would be clearly seen as ridiculous as he tried to tie himself to an injured but top flight talent.

This strategy would put more pressure on Maybin as other teams would see him for what he is, and be less likely to draft him next year. He could get the number 11 money he deserves this year or sit for a year and get the number 42 money he would deserve by then.

If the Bills are currently offering him #15 money, they would be rightly seen as the villian. Of course, they are not so this won't happen. Going public forces Maybin's hand.

I agree.

All i know is that the Redskins popped champagne corks when the Bills passed on Orakpo (which i could not believe!). Meanwhile, he has been such a stud in preseason that they are ready to erect a statue in Orakpo's likeness! And we got this clown Maybin and his ridiculous agent to deal with? whata joke.

I agree.

The only problem I can see is that other players and future draft picks my see the tactic as unfair. The Bills would have to point out that Maybin is the exception and that they have had few problems digning others in recent years.

Of course the Bills would be correct but the perception could still be otherwise. The Bills could not do much to control that. Either way, Maybin's hand is still forced.

All i know is that the Redskins popped champagne corks when the Bills passed on Orakpo (which i could not believe!). Meanwhile, he has been such a stud in preseason that they are ready to erect a statue in Orakpo's likeness! And we got this clown Maybin and his ridiculous agent to deal with? whata joke.

Where do you get this crap?

PTR

I want to hit something.

:wallbash:

Hit A.M. then. I don't like the pay system for rookies at all. These kids have done nothing for the league or their future employers and want BIG money. As I have said on numerous occasions, Maybin and Penn State got run over by Sanchez and company in the Rose, so I was against this pick to begin with. I agree with a lot of posts in here that we should make a realistic offer if one hasn't been made. Place a time limit on it, meaning a reduction in amounts as father time marches on and get on with the team we have at our facility. If Mr. Maybin and Mr. Crabtree don't care for the millions, then they are welcome to watch the games on television like the rest of us and enjoy a six pack instead of Crystal. Let the games begin. No huddle here we come, I got my popcorn ready.

and what makes you say we're not

Actually I've never said they weren't ....... I haven't tried to blame OBD of being cheap ..... nor have I blamed A.M. of being a blood sucking malcontent.

My post was mearly trying to figure out what an organization should do with an unsigned rookie at this point in time going forward through the season.

To be perfectly honest I really don't know what a low ball offer would be in A.M.s case ........ You can say draft slots all you want ...... but that scale isn't official by any means, it is not supported by the players union, nor is it demanded to by the owners. I'll agree it has become traditional over the years, but not "official" by any means.

So here we have a player who the Bills wanted ..... they drafted ..... and offered him what they thought he was worth. Either he agrees and signs or he doesn't agree refuses to sign and gets to test the market next year ........ I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that if he waits till the draft next year he will not get near what is on the table right now.

Where do you get this crap?

PTR

Do you live in DC? Well i do and get to read and see every story on the Redskins. Yes, even in a 23-0 loss the other night, they still can't stop talking about the guy's play and how he will be the cornerstone of the defense for the next 10 yrs.

Word.

This is the Achilles heel of the NFL.

But no matter what Maybin says, the responsibility to get this done is his. As if the Bills don't want him in camp. As if the Bills aren't offering a fair and appropriate deal. Yeah right.

Maybin can say "business side of things" all he wants. He is showing his true colors by not firing his agent and getting a deal done. This is ridiculous, and a real embarrassment and distraction for the team.

Right, and what does #1 have to do with him holding out? Don't be a dumbass. Idiot fans who think they are draft experts irk the hell out of me, so pardon me if I think you are a moron.

Don't make me go back and look these things up but

1. On draft day I said that Maybin was picked at least 9 spots ahead of where he should have gone and DEAN LAUGHED.

2. Dean has been saying that Maybin will be signed "any day now" FOR THREE WEEKS.

Perhaps someone isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

Next year there is no CBA and anything goes, if Maybin doesn't get in soon, and he drifts to next year he may get nothing. The Bills hold all of the cards and Maybin is an idiot for not signing. I applaud the Bills for not caving to a punk. Screw him and dump his ass next year.

Do we get a compensory pick if we cant sign Maybin?

I just can't believe they are "far apart". Really? This shouldn't be hard. What is his agent doing? Also, if he wanted to be here by now, he would just accept less than his agent wants. I'm changing my tune on the whole situation. I'm starting to hate the guy