BEST PLACES FOR SUCH FOOD

Beef on Weck. Charlie the Butcher

Fish Fry. Athenas Greek Resturant

Wings. This is hard but I have to go with Duffs

Pizza. La Nova's

Taco's. Mighty

Subs.. IDK

Fish Fry - How about Buffalo Brew Pub

Pizza - Bozanna's - No place in the world like it (however not really Buffalo style pizza a la LaNova and Bocce)

Best Sponge Candy - Antoinette Sweets

Best Chicken Finger Sub - John and Mary's or Alton's

Best S**t Canoe - Zorba's (note this is only good half to fully drunk at 3-4 am)

Best 4 am dining - Jim's Steakout (again only good half to fully drunk)

Best Grocery Store - Wegmann's (After living outside of Buffalo for 12 years in various parts of the country, nothing can compare. Tops, a distant 2nd in Buffalo, blows away 95% of all grocery stores in the US)

Best Breakfast after a night of drinking - Pano's (However I am impartial to the country fried steak at Hillview Family restaurant)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been 25 years since I've lived in Buffalo, and I'm going to visit with my wife and 6 year old who have never been. What are the must sees for 1st time visitors? Here's what I've come up with:

Niagara Falls

Delaware Park

Albright Knox Art Gallery

Elmwood Strip

Erie Basin Marina

Art Park

Buffalo Zoo

Frank Lloyd Wright home near Buffalo Zoo

Chocalate and vanilla twist from Andersons, and a pizza from Bocci Club. Is Parkside Candies still around?

Botanical gardens- ? Don't remember if this is worthwhile.

Old Navy Ship Museum- ? called U.S. Sullivan. Never have seen.

Niagara on the Lake- ?. Never have been to but heard it's nice

Erie Canal restoration site- ?. Heard this was restored recently but have never been

Other comments or recommendations from TBD? Thanks everyone.

Parkside Candies is still there.

last year I returned for the first time in 26yrs and was pleasantly surprised at all that is still there.

FOR YOUR KID-

I remember my Dad taking me to the Botanical Gardens, Naval Shipyard, Our Lady of Victory(awesome church-few like it in this country-you can get tours of the facility-plus it is close to the Gardens), and the American side of the Falls (the trails). As a kid-I used to beg to go back to all of those places.

For lunch-go to Root Five bar and grill in Hamburg (on Rte 5). I know its a bar-but the restaraunt is excellent-and the outdoor patio is exceptional. The view of the lake and city is tremendous from the patio. You would love it at night-but take your kid during the day and give him a great view of the city.

Bocci Club Pizza and Mighty Taco are some foods he should be introduced to. Ted's texas dogs are another. Also-if you do go into the Hamburg area-there is an Italion Restaraunt called Tinas Italian Kitchen. If you like Italion-GO THERE. The eggplant parm is the best you will ever have.

Good luck!

your all wrong!! best pizza is pasquales.

other unmentioned "food" type places" to check out, pasquales for pizza/wings, Buffalo sports garden (aka the BSG) for wings, Duffs for wings/bar food and sports atmosphere you can't go wrong here. connors for some awesome beef on weck, louies for slime dogs, and taffys for the worlds best milk shakes

gotta love mighty taco and tim hortons.

other "sights" to see or check out (i will try and gave ideas that are not already listed, but i might re-name some)

there is supposed to be this big year round "snow park" in niagara falls US that just opened. i have no idea what they have but if you want your kid to go play in snow in july... your set.

you cant go wrong touring the buffalo naval musem thats pretty cool and impressive to kids, i like it. and its some nice history and they are finally re-doing that whole area and its coming along nicely so far..

some of the local beaches on lake erie could be fun, go up to the observation deck at city hall for a nice view of the lake/downtown. have a family picnic in chestnut ridge park (its a huge county park in the suburbs) they have playgrounds and a massive hill that kids like to play on and run/roll down it will tire them out! and there is a decent view of the city

if i think of others i'll chime in again

The Sundowner.

Yet another reason to move back metz...

As for the Buffalo Sites, I'll add:

The Naval Park is pretty cool. And it's pretty nice along the river front.

There are tours of City Hall every day at noon IIRC.

Lunch hour Bands at M&T plaza M-F during the summer.

Farmers market on Main St every Tuesday and Thursday (right next to M&T, so you can do both)

And there is always some festival happening on the weekends...

Lockport Lock's and Erie Canal Cruise or Cave & Underground Boat Ride are both very cool.

Of Course Niagara Falls is worth the trip, but the Canadian side is much much nicer.

Niagara on the Lake- ? Very nice views, shops, and restaurants. It's a bit pricy, but a beautiful area.

Erie Canal restoration site- ? Near the Naval Park, very nice restoration. You'll get to see what's left of the Aud as well.

no what is pretty sweet is the jet boat tours by the falls. Your daughter maybe too young/small for it. Do not know what the height requirements are. I think it is $50 per person but it is well worth. Usually do it once a year.

Casey's is good but hasn't anyone here ever heard of McPartlans in Williamsville, or is it Cheektowaga?, for a fish fry?

Since food is big on everyone's list, I'll chime in.

McPartland's has great Fish Frys and Beef on Weck, at least it used to. Been many years since I was there.

Charlie the Butcher - very good beef on weck, is nearby also if you're near the Cheektowaga/Williamsville border.

Schwabl's. The name itself is so Buffalo. Oh, the Germanity* (* not a real word).

This place is to Beef on Weck what the Anchor Bar is to wings.

http://schwabls.com/

By the way, if you're at the concourse in the Buffalo airport, the lunch and breakfast joint right next to the Airtran boarding gates has a fine, fresh-carved beef on weck.

Bocce's - never been a big fan. If you like sweet sauce and greasy-ass crust, fine. I don't much care for the "Crisco- shortening-greased-pan style of pizza baking that's all the rage in many Buffalo pizzerias. It starts by stretching the dough onto a greased up snow saucer looking thing, and once the pizza is 80% baked, pull the pan and let the pizza brown on the brick oven surface. I prefer a traditional NY pie that's made on a pizza peel (the wood paddle board) with some cornmeal to reduce sticking, and baked in hot brick oven. None of this conveyer belt crap either. I don't know where in Buffalo you get a real NY pie. Anyway, just about any neighborhood pizza joint is going to have decent pizza that blows away the retail chain offerings. That said, LaNova, Pizza Junction, and Bocce all seem to be local favorites. In Williamsville, I like Sorrentino's. Good subs and wings there also.

Mighty Taco. I crave those Super Mighty's. In my younger, non-productive days, used to go bar-hopping til 4:30am, and hit Mighty afterwards. Back then, had a choice of the long gone Taco Junction or Mighty, both on Bailey Ave.

First thing I do when I visit Buffalo is hit Mighty. Super Mighty (burrito), medium hot sauce, extra cheese. I'll be having one in a couple of weeks.

Wings - Gabriel's Gate and Anchor Bar are good, but still love Duff's wings (Sheridan and Millersport Hwy). There's not that much difference. Unlike the "best wings in town" places all over the country, the local wing dives don't usually screw with the basic Frank's and Butter recipe too much. Again, when you're in Buffalo, you can't go wrong. Gotta be better than Pizza Hut (though I've never had them). There are some good wing places here in Atlanta, but I've had my share that have some sort of Asian spices, cayenne marinated wings (what the?), or some oil-based salad dressing crap. I don't mind these places have their own recipes so much as I mind that they have the balls to call these monstrosities "Buffalo Wings". I was in one place that is almost nothing but wings (Wing-Dings, or something like that) and after asking them to make sure they're a little on the crisp side, learned they bake the wings. Bake? Buffalo-style wings? They didn't even have a deep fryer. I walked out.

Subs - Any decent pizza or sandwhich joint in town should have good subs that put Subway or Quizno's to shame. I still like John & Mary's (Royalé - toasted roll, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, oil & vinegar, cappicola & sausage, fried green peppers and onions, melted provolone cheese). Most Italian or pizza places should have steak, sausage, meatball hot subs, and all the traditional cold cut subs. Costanzo sub rolls are the difference. Just found a sub place here in Atlanta that gets it's sub rolls from Costanzo's in Buffalo. Amazing.

For clams and other casual seafood, fries, wings, etc. and outdoor dining- try Old Man River or Mississippi Mud, sister outdoor eateries in N Tonawanda with great Niagara River views. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/42/461457/rest...River-Tonawanda.

Hot Dogs - Ted's is the concensus here, but don't overlook Louie's foot-longs. Great dogs. Is Pat's still around? Another good one from way back when. If you go to Ted's, try a shake with your dog.

Frozen treats - gotta be Anderson's Frozen Custard.

http://www.andersonscustard.com/

Of course, there's plenty of fantastic sitdown and higher end dining throughout the metro Buffalo area. I'll have to defer to some of the other readers for that advise. When I'm in Buffalo, I go right for the fast food treats I can't get anywhere else. My folks can never understand why I don't want to "stay home" and have dinner with them when I visit.

Suggestion: if you follow our advise for WNY dining, bring your "fat pants" for the trip home.

With a six year old in tow a lawn fete would probably work well. Most of em' have all of the carnival games and rides.

And for dad - plenty of tanned and buxom Italian-American chicks falling out of their tube tops. Not actually a carnival game or ride, but all the same......

With a six year old in tow a lawn fete would probably work well. Most of em' have all of the carnival games and rides.

Speaking of religious activities, a tour of Our Lady of Victory Cathedral would be worth it. It's quite a building.

PTR

Wow. What a great thread, just like the move back to bflo thread. Like I said, can't wait till the fantasy football draft and my annual visit.

I'm surprised for the love of John and Mary's subs. They're decent but not the best. One place not mentioned yet for subs is Ziggy's on Main Street in Snyder. http://www.ziggystacos.com/

Another is Dagwood's on Main and Delevan across from Canisius College. http://dagwoodsandmore.com/

Jim's Steak Out as mentioned has good subs.

When I lived in the Elmwood Village we used to make late night runs to Avenue Subs. They used to have a chicken cordon blue sub which was a fat bomb but quite scrumptious (especially when drunk). It consisted of chicken fingers wrapped in a slice each of swiss cheese and ham and dressed with blue cheese. Wow. I've heard the place has really gone downhill though.

No one has mentioned the beef on weck at Anacone's on Bailey yet. It's quite excellent.

If you and your wife like antiques, then antique world in Clarence is pretty amazing. Many, many vendors and enough food stands. Not really a six year old thing though.

You writing all this down Mr. Wonderful?

I'm surprised for the love of John and Mary's subs. They're decent but not the best. One place not mentioned yet for subs is Ziggy's on Main Street in Snyder. http://www.ziggystacos.com/

Another is Dagwood's on Main and Delevan across from Canisius College. http://dagwoodsandmore.com/

Jim's Steak Out as mentioned has good subs.

When I lived in the Elmwood Village we used to make late night runs to Avenue Subs. They used to have a chicken cordon blue sub which was a fat bomb but quite scrumptious (especially when drunk). It consisted of chicken fingers wrapped in a slice each of swiss cheese and ham and dressed with blue cheese. Wow. I've heard the place has really gone downhill though.

Dagwood's is very good, but I thought the one by Canisius closed. I am going to throw in a little Deli in Amherst that has fantastic subs. It's called Maybeck's Deli and is located on Niagara Falls Blvd across from the Target Plaza. Their subs are great and they also have homemade soups, it's a great lunch spot! For pizza, the Amherst Ale House (N French & Millersport) makes a really good pie. And they have a half price pizza and half price pitchers of beer special during Sabres games, until the Sabres win the Cup. Which should last a really really long time....

Speaking of religious activities, a tour of Our Lady of Victory Cathedral would be worth it. It's quite a building.

PTR

I threw that in my last post as well...cant stress that one enough. It is a really interesting site-for adults and kids. Feels like a place right out of Europe.

For wings, Duffs is the best. Big, crispy, great sauce. Can't understand how everyone

talks about Anchor Bar being the best. Small and pricey and not a good sauce. Only

thing AB has over Duffs is a nicer restaurant.

Italian - Santasaros on Niagara street. MUCH better sauce than Chef's, better prices and

better food in general. Kind of a dive, but awsome food.

Pizza - Actually it's been kinda tough finding a good, consistent pizza anymore. I would have

to say LaNova is probably one of the better, consistent pizza's. I also find, and don't laugh, that

Pesci's is pretty darn good.

Hot Dogs - Ted's. Not that you can't buy a package of sahlens and grill the snot out of them yourself.

Taco's - Might has been a shell (no pun intended) of themselves lately. The beef has a bit of a different

taste lately, and they've seem to have gotten smaller.

Subs - Just about anywhere.

To do:

If you've never been, maid of the mist is awesome. As is the Canadian side of the Falls.

Have a picnic at the Gorge park in between the Falls and Niagara On The Lake. Nice enough

park, but it has some great trails to get to the bottom of the gorge. Niagara On The Lake is

a great time too.

The naval park/harbor is a lot of fun. Did it a few weekends ago, cost 22 bucks for me and

my two kids. An absolute blast.

The Albright Knox is nice.

The canal tour of the locks in Lockport is a nice afternoon.

Bisons game.

Letchworth State Park. Takes a little time to get to, but has some great trails and sites.

Whatever you end up doing, just spend time with your kid and thats all that counts.

Athena's is a good fish fry but the best fish fry I've had back home is at Casey's on Amherst Street in Black Rock. But like Weichec's for wings, you don't necessarily want to spend lots of time in that neighborhood. Too many other places to see.

A great place to visit and I forgot to mention it before is East Aurora. The toy company Fisher Price is there and I believe they have a kid's museum for your six year old. The Roycroft Campus is really cool...it was a religious and philosophical reform movement which expressed their values through arts and crafts including furniture making. The Roycroft Campus is pretty cool. Also, East Aurora has a nice postcard aspect to it, kinda Mayberry-esque. It's pedestrian friendly with lots of shops and stuff. Your wife might enjoy it. And there's lots of good places to eat. The wings at Bar-Bill Tavern in the traffic circle by Seneca Street has excellent wings (traditional, honey-mustard, lemon-pepper, parmesan-garlic, etc) and serve their beer in icy mugs. The place is perfectly suited to a family lunch or dinner.

Lebros on Cambell in Pendletoon has a fantastic fish fry. And Grovers...which used to be grover Clevelands hunting cabin at one time I believe...on transit in east amherst has a great fish fry as well.

O.o Pizza Junction!

I havent had that in 15 years. I'm going to go there the day before the opener. Is it still open in North Tonawanda?

I love Teds Dogs, the Chocolate shakes are brilliant, but get the hot sauce to go too. I think its just ketchup, relish and cayenne though.

B.

I live 5 minutes from Pizza Junction, and yes, it's still open and going strong. I also used to work for Ted's during High School....definitely the best dogs around. Great shakes too. Don't forget the homemade onion rings. As for the hot sauce, I've seen it being made, and there are a few more ingredients to it than what you mentioned, but those things are definitely included. It is a must on your dog.

As for choosing a pizza place or any other type of food, a lot of it is good, so you can't go wrong with any of the popular places.

Does the Arcade/Attica train trip still exist? Always enjoyed that. I'm coming 'home' this weekend for a family reunion. In 3 days I'll make sure to hit Pizza Junction -yes, it's still there, Swiston' s and Ted's!

YUM YUM!

Last we went on it, the trees had grown very tall on both sides of the tracks and the kids were bored out of their minds, lke 90 minutes in a green tunnel. This was at least 15 years ago.

I liked it when I was a kid but THERE WAS A VIEW. :rolleyes:

no what is pretty sweet is the jet boat tours by the falls. Your daughter maybe too young/small for it. Do not know what the height requirements are. I think it is $50 per person but it is well worth. Usually do it once a year.

Man, I am iffy on getting on that thing.One part of me says that looks so cool, I have to do it!The other says man that river is way crazy to trust anything going near the Whirlpool. See, my old man practically grew up in that gorge, and he never let us forget all of the perils of that river. He had two friends die in the lower river, and he drilled and drilled us on how dangerous it could be if you ever got caught in the wrong part. I will always remember when they tried to have commercial white water rafting trips down the lower river, and pretty sure the first trip with passengers dumped in the gorge and 4 or 5 people died in the Whirlpool. Bad things man, bad things :rolleyes:

Last we went on it, the trees had grown very tall on both sides of the tracks and the kids were bored out of their minds, lke 90 minutes in a green tunnel. This was at least 15 years ago.

I liked it when I was a kid but THERE WAS A VIEW. :rolleyes:

Yes, I did the ride last year. It's a real snoozer, I definitely would not recommend it for children.

And as far as the jet boats, the motors on those things are monsters! They will not get stuck in the rapids. I have been on it the last couple years and it is awesome!

Man, I am iffy on getting on that thing.One part of me says that looks so cool, I have to do it!The other says man that river is way crazy to trust anything going near the Whirlpool. See, my old man practically grew up in that gorge, and he never let us forget all of the perils of that river. He had two friends die in the lower river, and he drilled and drilled us on how dangerous it could be if you ever got caught in the wrong part. I will always remember when they tried to have commercial white water rafting trips down the lower river, and pretty sure the first trip with passengers dumped in the gorge and 4 or 5 people died in the Whirlpool. Bad things man, bad things :rolleyes:

They do push the envelope on that thing. I assume it is safe though. The one stop is right before where the rapids are impassable & the guy told me that the rapids are so bad that any boat that gets caught in it will immediately sink to the bottom. I think he called it Devils Hole or something like that. It is alot of fun though & you get soaked too. There is one I believe on the Canadian side too. I have just been on the one in the american side though.

They do push the envelope on that thing. I assume it is safe though. The one stop is right before where the rapids are impassable & the guy told me that the rapids are so bad that any boat that gets caught in it will immediately sink to the bottom. I think he called it Devils Hole or something like that. It is alot of fun though & you get soaked too. There is one I believe on the Canadian side too. I have just been on the one in the american side though.

Devils Hole be it, and where a lot of preaching from my old man took place. He still took us there all the time to hike the trails, fish, and swim in the right places, but also put a real fear into us bout what could happen if you fugged up and went in the wrong places etc. Like I said, next time up in the warm months, think I am going to do, just gunna bring an extra pair of draws with me just in case :rolleyes:

Devils Hole be it, and where a lot of preaching from my old man took place. He still took us there all the time to hike the trails, fish, and swim in the right places, but also put a real fear into us bout what could happen if you fugged up and went in the wrong places etc. Like I said, next time up in the warm months, think I am going to do, just gunna bring an extra pair of draws with me just in case :rolleyes:

You will not regret it. it is very interesting & alot of fun, especially for a person that is familar with the place already like yourself. It will give you a unique view into one of the truly amazing parts of this area.

Really. Rivers are dangerous. Here in SW Ohio, several souls are lost in the Great Miami and Little Miami rivers every year.

Both rather lazy, slow-moving rivers, with a very low amount of rapids here and there. Both with shelved rock formations, debris under the surface, undercurrents. Same with the Ohio. People fall in and never come back up.

The Niagara River is fast, and a fury of powerful currents and eddies, especially past the Falls.

Going for a thrill against such a powerful thing - that's quite a trust in luck being on one's side. IMO. As your Dad knew well, watching for your welfare and spoke to you accordingly.

Take a trip to angola on the lake, the beach is clean and the water is clear.

A

great place to spend the day.

ON your way home stop at Conners for the best hot dog in all of WNY>

Is Taco Cantina still open in Angola? They had the best tacos. Anyways, Pages Paradise on Transit Rd. is great for the kids.

I would recommend also not going back thru Niagara Falls, NY unfortunately unless you immediately head east after the Rainbow Bridge and head towards the villages of Youngstown, Wilson, and Olcott.

Another great place with a really nice view is to take rt 104 to Lewiston which goes past the Niagara Gorge, Niagara University and the power plant. It is really breathtaking to look over and see the gorge with all the rapids down below. If you are really feeling daredevilish, you could stop at Devil's Hole State Park and take them down the stairs to the gorge below. Be careful tho, it can be pretty slippery and quite a few people have fallen and gotten some bumps/bruises/broken bones. The view when you are driving towards Lewiston is just really awesome. It is the kind of thing that can be put on a postcard, to be honest. You are up above Lewiston, looking down into it and also looking across the river at the gorge, and all the hills and trees---get a picture of it, and you could make a postcard people would love...

You can get there by either taking Main St in Niagara Falls and just following it out of town, where it turns in to Lewiston Rd, which then turns into Rt 104. Alternatively, you could take Hyde Park Blvd(Rt 61) all the way until it dead-ends into Rt 104, which is right next to Niagara University...

Both rather lazy, slow-moving rivers, with a very low amount of rapids here and there. Both with shelved rock formations, debris under the surface, undercurrents. Same with the Ohio. People fall in and never come back up.

The Niagara River is fast, and a fury of powerful currents and eddies, especially past the Falls.

I always think its funny how people from out of the area come here and they see the Niagara River and they are like "Holy crap!! That thing is huge!!" After living in various parts of Ohio for about 8 years or so, I can tell you some of the rivers there, we would basically call creeks here...I am not overly familiar with either of the 2 rivers spoken about above, but I know there are several rivers in Ohio that are almost comical to be called a river....

Yeah, the Niagara Gorge has some of the most dangerous rapids in the world---class 5/6(on some scales) rapids that are illegal to kayak/canoe in. Apparently many kayak enthusiasts from around the world feel it is a badge of honor to illegally kayak the gorge and live to tell about it.

Another great place with a really nice view is to take rt 104 to Lewiston which goes past the Niagara Gorge, Niagara University and the power plant. It is really breathtaking to look over and see the gorge with all the rapids down below. If you are really feeling daredevilish, you could stop at Devil's Hole State Park and take them down the stairs to the gorge below. Be careful tho, it can be pretty slippery and quite a few people have fallen and gotten some bumps/bruises/broken bones. The view when you are driving towards Lewiston is just really awesome. It is the kind of thing that can be put on a postcard, to be honest. You are up above Lewiston, looking down into it and also looking across the river at the gorge, and all the hills and trees---get a picture of it, and you could make a postcard people would love...

You can get there by either taking Main St in Niagara Falls and just following it out of town, where it turns in to Lewiston Rd, which then turns into Rt 104. Alternatively, you could take Hyde Park Blvd(Rt 61) all the way until it dead-ends into Rt 104, which is right next to Niagara University...

You're right. I forgot about that and I loved when the family would drive over the ridge and see Lewiston below. We always stopped at Clark's Restaurant for burgers. I wonder if it's still there. A friend of mine's parents used to own Donna Felicia's, a real nice Italian place in Lewiston. I don't think that's around anymore. From the spot on route 104 you mention you could see the river as it flowed into Lake Ontario. A truly beautiful WNY spot.

I also used to fish in Devil's Hole. There were cold water species down there of course but I used to catch smallmouth bass on chartreuse Mr. Twister tails. It's a big river on the lower Niagara.