Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

That was a fun story to write, and it came to be in a weird way.

I actually wrote it a year ago for the Palm Beach Post, but it never ran because they waited for a good spot to run it last summer and then I left for ESPN. The paper became uncomfortable about printing a story by a writer who was employed somewhere else, so they returned it to me to use as I wished.

I'd forgotten about it until recently and was inspired by the Hall of Fame. So I updated it with a call to Scott Player (I'd been unable to reach him when I wrote it the first time) and another call to the NFL for an official ruling on the helmet. I rewrote the first third of it to include the Hall of Fame scene, but this probably should be considered the last story I ever wrote for a newspaper. This is a reminder that I was a much better writer then ...

Tim, I wore a single-bar facemask when I kicked for a semi-pro team in 2007, I'm sure you're going to want my input. I'll wait for your call...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,

Not sure if this question has been asked yet, though I can imagine it has been brought up at some point.

In short, what is the story on Maybin? Reports came out last week that he was close to signing, but the Bills have been very quiet regarding the negotiations. Clearly it is typical for teams to stay mum about on-going negotiations, but this situation seems unique to me in that there seems to be NO urgency on the part of the Bills to get the job done. Normally, you at least hear coaches or the FO discussing how strongly they want the player in camp, but I have heard little come out from the Bills publicly about Maybin.

What is the word and should Bills fans be concerned either about Maybin signing before the start of the season or about how productive he will be after missing the first month of camp?

Tim, to reiterate the previous post, please give us some info on Maybin. I'm dying here. This holdout is killing me. Anymore ime missed and his season could be lost.

I'm in the dark a little on this one. I had a source who was keeping me apprised, but he has gone silent on me.

But I'm working on it.

Tim,

Not sure if this question has been asked yet, though I can imagine it has been brought up at some point.

In short, what is the story on Maybin? Reports came out last week that he was close to signing, but the Bills have been very quiet regarding the negotiations. Clearly it is typical for teams to stay mum about on-going negotiations, but this situation seems unique to me in that there seems to be NO urgency on the part of the Bills to get the job done. Normally, you at least hear coaches or the FO discussing how strongly they want the player in camp, but I have heard little come out from the Bills publicly about Maybin.

What is the word and should Bills fans be concerned either about Maybin signing before the start of the season or about how productive he will be after missing the first month of camp?

Hopefully the team learned a lesson from the Peters fiasco that they should keep their mouths shut about these negotiations which are hard enough without getting the fans involved and taking sides.

Hopefully the team learned a lesson from the Peters fiasco that they should keep their mouths shut about these negotiations which are hard enough without getting the fans involved and taking sides.

That's true enough. And to think I just insulted you in another thread. I'm so conflicted.

Looks like this thread has gone into hibernation...

Is there any chance at this point that the Bills' opening day O line will not be Walker-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Butler if all the players are healthy? Are they not comfortable starting Bell and maybe juggling some pieces?

Also, any updates on your father? I know what you're going through right now.

Tim, with Schobel's injury, I'm curious as to who gets the majority of the first team snaps in that spot. In the past it would've been Kelsay and Denney on either side, but with the way Copeland Bryan has looked in the preseason, I'm hoping they use this as an opportunity to get a look at him against starting linemen. If you could give us some word on this as it develops, that'd be amazing. Thanks Tim.

Tim,

Thanks for all of the great info. We very much appreciate it.

Any insight into whether Trent Edwards and TO have developed any kind of a rapport (on the field and/or off the field)? Have not heard many comments about Trent from TO. It also seems that Lee Evans has been somewhat tepid in his comments about Trent recently. Any sense of that relationship, or Trent's relationship with the players on offense in general?

Timbo,

Notice that if you give up Patron you can lose a lot of weight like LenDale White.

Secondly, I think that sometimes too much focus is put on the head coach and coordinators and not enough on position coaches. Am I wrong to think that our new D Line coach will make a significant difference in our defense's play this year?

Tim,

If Bell gets the nod at LT at some point this season, does Langston Walker move to RT or does he go to the bench?

My assumption would be they move him back to RT, but that will obviously shuffle things up on the interior of the line no?

Tim,

If Bell gets the nod at LT at some point this season, does Langston Walker move to RT or does he go to the bench?

My assumption would be they move him back to RT, but that will obviously shuffle things up on the interior of the line no?

There certainly would be a domino effect, but I'm not privy to thinking on who would be shuffled.

Many are saying just move Walker back to right tackle and Butler back to right guard. But then Wood needs to be moved, too.