Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm replying to myself ...

Another member sent me a note to remind me of Chuck Knox. He does qualify as a head coach with a fine track record before coming to Buffalo.

I think the dire situation the Bills would be in if they go 7-9 again would force the hand of the Front office to spend decent money on a more proven head coach. The Bills can't go with a free agent or a draft pick to generate interest because as long as Jauron is the head coach the fans won't buy into it as easily as they did this season (And considering that a TO like splash might not be out there in an uncapped year).

I guess my point is that if the Bills go 7-9 bringing Jauron back could spell a revolt among fans so in the interest of generating interest could the head coach be the splash instead of a player? Its easier to get a head coach (There are only 32 of those jobs out there) than a free agent player in an uncapped season. And Jauron could negate any excitement a draft pick or free agent pick up the Bills get.

I know its not in Ralph's nature to go with a big name big money head coach but drastic times call for drastic measures. A 10 year playoff drought and a fanbase who hates the coach and the perceived cheapness of the owner don't help the case for retaining that head coach and fiscal nature.

What about Lou Saban, take 2? Not sure that he (or any head coaches) were making big money...but it was a big move.

Saban established his credentials with the Bills. He didn't arrive with much of a resume: two losing seasons with the Boston Patriots (7-12 and fired in midseason of his second year) and a journeyman college coach.

I don't know if you can count a guy coming back to where he had his best success after five straight losing seasons (and fired again) with the Denver Broncos as a coup of a signing.

All I can say is the next time the Bills invest a lot of money in a big-name head coach will be the first time.

That might be more shocking than signing T.O. for one year.

John Rauch was a big time coach when they hired him, or so they thought. But no one made big money back then.

If Jauron gets fired after this year, my money would be on a guy like Fossel, Billick, or even Haslett.

Heh. And here you probably thought Brady was going to be the big story at the game you covered tonight...

So what was it like inside the press box at the Linc when the news about Vick broke?

Sal Paolantonio's response when Peters pushed Pryor into McNabb:

"Who the hell is this Pryor guy?"

So what happens when you guys are unsure of who someone is? Do you have a packet of info about each individual player on each team on your laptop? Do the teams provide any information? Or are you reduced to google like us? :thumbsup:

Tim, I'm not sure if you'll take hockey questions anymore, but I just wanted your take on the Mike Grier signing. A poster put up your article from the News in 2006 when he had signed with San Jose, which was interesting to read considering how things have shaped up the past 3 years.

Any chance this is predicated on a trade of some sort? Stafford is yet still unsigned and we'll have 16 forwards, by my count, that have clocked some NHL playing time when he inks his deal.

Thanks in advance.

If you're a Sabres fan, you should love this signing. Mike Grier's value is in his leadership in the dressing room and the example he sets. Based on what I've heard from the players I've stayed in touch with since I stopped covering the team, this is the exact type of player the Sabres have needed.

As for the roster, I'll refrain from breaking it down. When I covered the team, I could go down the line and tell you who was and was not making the team based on their contracts. It's pretty easy to determine with the rules set forth in the CBA. You just looked at the guaranteed money, how many years were left, who didn't need to clear waivers and who was on a two-way contract and it was simple. But after two years away from the team, I don't know the contracts like I used to.

So what happens when you guys are unsure of who someone is? Do you have a packet of info about each individual player on each team on your laptop? Do the teams provide any information? Or are you reduced to google like us? :thumbsup:

Media guides and updated pregame notes handed out by the teams.

But we Google a lot, too.

Media guides and updated pregame notes handed out by the teams.

But we Google a lot, too.

So paper media then. You guys should set up an internal Wiki. Well some sort of database that ESPN could use. Just a thought and I am sure there are plenty of reasons not to do so.