Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim what kind of chances do you give Marty Schottenheimer or his son Brian, in having some affiliation with the franchise?

I don't set out to waffle here, but I think I'm going to have to. I'm not entirely sure, and I think we need to see how things shake out with the Jets' season. Brian Schottenheimer is under contract through 2010.

I don't set out to waffle here, but I think I'm going to have to. I'm not entirely sure, and I think we need to see how things shake out with the Jets' season. Brian Schottenheimer is under contract through 2010.

thank you tim

Hey Tim,

Any idea why the Bills decided to make the announcement now?

The only thing I can think of is symbolism. New Year's Eve, starting the new decade fresh.

I can't read anything else into it right now. I don't believe this signals any other move on the horizon. The coaching search seems like it will take a while.

My pleasure. I know I haven't been on the site as much as before, but finally moving into the new house the day before Thanksgiving threw off all my routines. As things continue to settle down, I'll be around more.

tim, anytime you can get here is a plus for us

Hey Tim. Many thanks for all the reporting which you have done since you took on the Bills best for ESPN. I really do appreciate the nuggets you have graced us with in the wasteland of media reportage represented by folks at WGR and Sully who mostly strike me as legends in their own mind.

However, particularly in light of how this Buddy Nix news was given to the world, it is my sense that the media covering the Bills which I and other fans depend upon for info really swung and missed on this one.

Is it unreasonable for me or other fans to hope that the media would:

1. Give us a heads up on whether the Bills were gonna go G, HC, or some hybrid first.

2. Give us a sense as much as a week ago or at some point approaching yesterday that a decision was coming.

3. Float Buddy Nix as a possible name being out there at some point in the last week?

As best as I can tell the media we fans depend upon was not there during the Xmas week (not surprising I guess since reporters are people too- for the most part). However I really saw no descriptions which seemed to have a handle on where this team might go or is looking at things. Clearly a lot is happening based on the Nix decision and its announcement and with a lot of folks apparently getting interviewed (Guy got a GM interview, he may or may not have been the Rooney Rule candidate, apparently some outside candidates were interviewed or at least considered and rejected or rejected the Bills).

Is the state of reporting on the Bills as bad as I think it is?

The only thing I can think of is symbolism. New Year's Eve, starting the new decade fresh.

I can't read anything else into it right now. I don't believe this signals any other move on the horizon. The coaching search seems like it will take a while.

Looking at it from a more cynical viewpoint, New Year's Eve, when fewer people are listening to sportstalk radio and/or watching the 6 o'clock news ... Didn't stop us from peaking at well over 1,000 active users during the press conference, though.

Are the rules the same re:availability of assistant coaches from the top four playoff teams during their bye week? If so, that option is now open to them. Still wondering about Ron Rivera, although Nix's "head-coaching experience preferred" quote would seem to lean in a different direction. It's also been pointed out to me that Nix had already left San Diego when the Chargers promoted Rivera to DC, so there wasn't as much overlap as I thought there might have been.

And oh yeah ... Happy New Year. :(

Hey Tim if Cowher were to come to Buffalo what upcoming free agents would you see Cowher going after? Also Tim what free agents do you see Buffalo targeting? I think Derrick Johnson of KC, Chad Pennington, Jason Fergueson, and Osi U from the Giants via trade are some compelling names to me seeing as they are all down in stock and could be had at a reasonable price.

Tim, I'm as excited as anybody at the prospect of Bill Cower coaching the Bills, but if that doesn't happen and we start interviewing coordinators, I've heard Ron Rivera and Russ Grimm and Leslie Frazier mentioned. Why has Jason Garrett fallen off everyones radar? 2 years ago he was such a hot prospect that JJ gave home 3 mil a year to OC. After a down year in 2008, the Cowboys offense looks pretty impressive again this year. If we want an offensive minded coach, shouldn't he be high on our list or did I miss something? Thanks for your input.