Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

After their national embarrassment with the "walkthrough tape" hoax (that WAS an investigation by the paper--it found.....a bogus source that was totally wrong), was the Boston Herald's "press pass" pulled by the Pats? By the Leauge? If your League conspiracy theory (you know, how they threaten loss of access to get papers to spike stories) is true--you would have to tell me, "yes, the Herald no longer has access to the Pats."

What's that? They DO still have access? How can that be??

Anyone who truly believes the League would threaten the only national sports network with "limiting access" in order to gag them is simply nuts.

The League needs ESPN at least as much as ESPN needs the NFL. If, for some unimaginable reason, ESPN suddenly decided to boycott coverage of the NFL, Goodell would be on a chopper to Bristol immediately with a box of chocolates in his hands.

An interesting point, but there are all kinds of levels of "friendliness/unfriendliness" that one can show in that kind of situation. It's not "all or nothing." You want some exclusives periodically or the first crack at some good breaking news? What can you give us in positive pub for that? Or how about "Why should we talk to you any more than we need to as a general member of the press since you write such crap about us"? I've heard on Pats* boards no less that that team takes that approach to outlets it finds less than friendly. If you think this kind of stuff doesn't go on, I'd call you nuts as well. While it is a symbiotic relationship to an extent between the networks and the League in terms of access/exposure, now that ESPN/ABC have sunk over a billion I believe into their NFL contract, wouldn't that be like slitting their own throats? You also don't engage on my point about the business side perhaps butting it nose into the editorial side when the company's own interests are at stake--do you believe that never happens? If so, do you believe in fairies and goblins, too?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting point, but there are all kinds of levels of "friendliness/unfriendliness" that one can show in that kind of situation. It's not "all or nothing." You want some exclusives periodically or the first crack at some good breaking news? What can you give us in positive pub for that? Or how about "Why should we talk to you any more than we need to as a general member of the press since you write such crap about us"? I've heard on Pats* boards no less that that team takes that approach to outlets it finds less than friendly. If you think this kind of stuff doesn't go on, I'd call you nuts as well. While it is a symbiotic relationship to an extent between the networks and the League in terms of access/exposure, now that ESPN/ABC have sunk over a billion I believe into their NFL contract, wouldn't that be like slitting their own throats? You also don't engage on my point about the business side perhaps butting it nose into the editorial side when the company's own interests are at stake--do you believe that never happens? If so, do you believe in fairies and goblins, too?

Interesting points, all true. On a much smaller scale, just look at how the Bills practically 'blackballed' WGR during the Donahoe regime - particularly when Dickerson was still spewing his daily vindictive bile about the Bills front office and coaching staff. I'm sure Lori and some closer to the situation can shed more light on that rift, but I seem to recall that the Bills would not even go on the air with anyone from 'gr.

Luckily, while all but dead in the mainstream media outlets, the Cheatriettes* scandal and the NFL cover-up known as 'Spygate' remains in the public eye largely through the efforts of a small but dedicated conspiracy theorists - much like Mark Green, David Lifton, Charles Crenshaw, et al still seek the truth regarding the events of Nov. 22, 1963.

There are even folk artists who - like the protest songs of the 60's and 70's - have immortalized the scandal in song...

Shady Brady and Bill Belicheat

BTW, hey Tim - some folks think our QB situation is still questionable, particularly at backup; any insight as to why the Bills never gave even a passing thought to bringing Graham Harrell in for a tryout after Cleveland released him? Guy was a Heisman candidate, holds the NCAA touchdown record, threw for over 5000 yards two consecutive seasons, had a 70% completion ratio, a 5-to-1 TD/INT ratio, and a 160 QB rating - the Bills 'braintrust' brought in Mizzou backup Chase Patton, who completed 18 passes in his college career, but didn't think Harrell was worth a look? :thumbsup:

Mark Fainaru-Wada, the co-author of Game of Shadows -- and now an ESPN employee, by the way -- would disagree with you about the death of investigative journalism. And there is no way in hell a team denies credentials to an established journalist from a major outlet without PFWA going thermonuclear.

Now, the credentialing practices of certain unnamed teams regarding journalists outside the major markets is a story for a different day. But shut out the AP? Hardly.

That sounds like an interesting book, I'll probably read it, but I still feel the direction, of all journalism, has been on the decline since corporations took over the major networks and newspapers and decided to squeeze the budgets past the ability to provide accurate reporting and hard nosed investigative journalism. JMO

After their national embarrassment with the "walkthrough tape" hoax (that WAS an investigation by the paper--it found.....a bogus source that was totally wrong), was the Boston Herald's "press pass" pulled by the Pats? By the Leauge? If your League conspiracy theory (you know, how they threaten loss of access to get papers to spike stories) is true--you would have to tell me, "yes, the Herald no longer has access to the Pats."

What's that? They DO still have access? How can that be??

Anyone who truly believes the League would threaten the only national sports network with "limiting access" in order to gag them is simply nuts.

The League needs ESPN at least as much as ESPN needs the NFL. If, for some unimaginable reason, ESPN suddenly decided to boycott coverage of the NFL, Goodell would be on a chopper to Bristol immediately with a box of chocolates in his hands.

Isn't there a Pets* board somewhere you could go to. Your thinly veiled fandom for the Pets* was funny for awhile but now it's just pathetic.

That sounds like an interesting book, I'll probably read it, but I still feel the direction, of all journalism, has been on the decline since corporations took over the major networks and newspapers and decided to squeeze the budgets past the ability to provide accurate reporting and hard nosed investigative journalism. JMO

Isn't there a Pets* board somewhere you could go to. Your thinly veiled fandom for the Pets* was funny for awhile but now it's just pathetic.

"Sounds like an interesting book"?? Where have you been? Look it up and be educated.

Pathetic is your inability to come up with any intelligent contribution to this discussion beyond the "pats fan" dig. You need to hate another team in order to feel more like a Bills fan. I don't.

Not all Bills fans are slow witted cat fanciers, you know.

Hey Tim (and Lori, if you know),

Will the Hall of Fame Inductions be re-broadcast some time this week? I missed it last night and my DVR was only set for 3 hours, so I didn't get Bruce Smith's speech. I was hoping to have it for Friday, when a friend & I were going to watch it. Youtube isn't the same.

Thanks!

Hey Tim (and Lori, if you know),

Will the Hall of Fame Inductions be re-broadcast some time this week? I missed it last night and my DVR was only set for 3 hours, so I didn't get Bruce Smith's speech. I was hoping to have it for Friday, when a friend & I were going to watch it. Youtube isn't the same.

Thanks!

I would assume so, although I don't know for sure. NFL Network is known for rebroadcasting its own shows frequently, especially in the following week.

BTW, hey Tim - some folks think our QB situation is still questionable, particularly at backup; any insight as to why the Bills never gave even a passing thought to bringing Graham Harrell in for a tryout after Cleveland released him? Guy was a Heisman candidate, holds the NCAA touchdown record, threw for over 5000 yards two consecutive seasons, had a 70% completion ratio, a 5-to-1 TD/INT ratio, and a 160 QB rating - the Bills 'braintrust' brought in Mizzou backup Chase Patton, who completed 18 passes in his college career, but didn't think Harrell was worth a look? :wallbash:

I agree that Trent Edwards might be operating without a net this year. As much as I liked the signing, Fitzpatrick hasn't impressed me at all when I've seen him.

As for Graham Harrell, he's simply not an NFL prospect. There's a reason he's not in any of the 32 camps right now. Believe me, he has been looked at by every team at some point. There's all sorts of game film and he attended the combine. Being a Heisman candidate means nothing. Eric Crouch won the thing.

I would assume so, although I don't know for sure. NFL Network is known for rebroadcasting its own shows frequently, especially in the following week.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm one of the unlucky Time Warner customers that doesn't get NFLN. I'll keep an eye out.

Do you know anything about Peter King's report on Bills' interest in Vick?

Also, do I have your permission to go into a full-on panic over last night's game?

I don't know about King's report. I'd be surprised based on Russ Brandon's public statement of a couple weeks ago and a club source telling me the same thing in April -- that the Bills aren't interested.

But all it takes is one call from Ralph Wilson to change everybody's minds in the front office.

And, no, you don't have my permission. Withhold judgment until the second-to-last preseason game.

Tim, do you know what Demetrius Bell's Wonderlic score was?

Thanks

not sure how credible this site is, but interesting data. Says he got a 20 on Wonderlic..

Bell understands the relationship between hard work and success. Instead of relying on his natural talents

to get by, he dedicates himself to achieve his full potential as a player. Coaches will see a consistent effort

on his part to improve his game. As a result, his performance on the field is likely to improve over time.

Bell's mental ability test results are consistently positive. The Matrices and Wonderlic results indicate that

he is above the minimum typically associated with his position, and his SIGMA data indicates that he will

apply himself so that he goes into games feeling prepared to play. He has the ability to narrow his attention

and concentrate on his keys and reads. His play during games will show a high degree of focus that will be

very pleasing to his coaches. This strong combination of mental ability, adequate mental quickness, and

focus indicates that he will show good football intelligence and have fewer misreads compared to most

players at his position. Bell appreciates the contribution coaches have made to his career and will be

willing to listen to their critiques and try to follow through on what they want him to do. Based on his test

results we feel that Bell will be able to avoid serious brushes with the authorities. Compared to other

players, the chances of him getting into incidents involving the league or the police are relatively small.

I agree that Trent Edwards might be operating without a net this year. As much as I liked the signing, Fitzpatrick hasn't impressed me at all when I've seen him.

As for Graham Harrell, he's simply not an NFL prospect. There's a reason he's not in any of the 32 camps right now. Believe me, he has been looked at by every team at some point. There's all sorts of game film and he attended the combine. Being a Heisman candidate means nothing. Eric Crouch won the thing.

You mean, like Warren Moon? Harrell just might be better than anyone on our roster right now.

You mean, like Warren Moon? Harrell just might be better than anyone on our roster right now.

You're not seriously comparing an Air Raid QB to a guy who went undrafted because NFL teams still thought a black man couldn't play the position, are you?

Jeff Garcia??? Tony Romo??? Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner, and Jon Kitna?

Also not apt comparisons.

Big difference between not being drafted and not being good enough to make a training camp.

Romo, Warner, Delhomme and Kitna were signed to a camp as undrafted rookies.

Jeff Garcia, maybe. He needed five years to get to the NFL. Would you like the Bills to invest that kind of time in developing him, or would you rather wait and see how he does in the CFL?

Big difference between not being drafted and not being good enough to make a training camp.

Jeff Garcia, maybe. He needed five years to get to the NFL. Would you like the Bills to invest that kind of time in developing him, or would you rather wait and see how he does in the CFL?

I see your point - to me it's a Catch 22: if Harrell does real well in the CFL, then comes the the NFL and dominates like Moon did, I'll be saying (in my best Bob Lobel), "Now why can't the Bills get players like that?"

I don't understand how Harrell can be that far behind this guy:

Alex Mortensen – QB – 6-1 – 222 – Arkansas

Signed by Titans as an undrafted free agent on April 30, 2009…attended Arkansas from 2004-05 and then transferred to Samford for 2006 season…returned to Arkansas, sitting out 2007 under transfer rules, and then did not play in 2008 as senior...at Samford, played in eight games with one start and completed 34 of 67 passes for 309 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions…as redshirt freshman at Arkansas, appeared in four games and completed six of 17 passes for 63 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions

http://www.titansonline.com/team/roster/al...d-4c735fb0a885/