Round 1, Pick 11: AARON MAYBIN, DE, Penn State

An excerpt from the site: corner.bigblueinteractive.com

Which aggregates various scouts comments.

AARON MAYBIN Penn State 6-4 250 4.73 1

Just a third-year sophomore. Redshirted in 2006, backed up in '07 and wasn't starting in '08 until Maurice Evans was suspended after three games. "He plays hard but he's not experienced," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said. "He's raw with a lot of his techniques. He's not physically as mature strength-wise. He's undeveloped." Finished '08 with 12 sacks, giving him 16 in two seasons. "His first three steps are like Jevon Kearse," one scout said. "The closest I've seen to Kearse. He doesn't run as well as Derrick Thomas. But he's not real heavy in there and his weight gain in a short period of times scares me a little bit." Played the Rose Bowl at 226, then was 250 at the combine. Classy individual with 25 on the Wonderlic. "He's a player that will be reckoned with," Arizona scout Jerry Hardaway said. "You've got to get him stronger. Sometimes you see him all out, sometimes he isn't. Athletically, he'll fit a 3-4 or a 4-3. He could be as good as he wants to be." Vertical jump of 40 inches.

An excerpt from the site: corner.bigblueinteractive.com

Which aggregates various scouts comments.

AARON MAYBIN Penn State 6-4 250 4.73 1

Just a third-year sophomore. Redshirted in 2006, backed up in '07 and wasn't starting in '08 until Maurice Evans was suspended after three games. "He plays hard but he's not experienced," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said. "He's raw with a lot of his techniques. He's not physically as mature strength-wise. He's undeveloped." Finished '08 with 12 sacks, giving him 16 in two seasons. "His first three steps are like Jevon Kearse," one scout said. "The closest I've seen to Kearse. He doesn't run as well as Derrick Thomas. But he's not real heavy in there and his weight gain in a short period of times scares me a little bit." Played the Rose Bowl at 226, then was 250 at the combine. Classy individual with 25 on the Wonderlic. "He's a player that will be reckoned with," Arizona scout Jerry Hardaway said. "You've got to get him stronger. Sometimes you see him all out, sometimes he isn't. Athletically, he'll fit a 3-4 or a 4-3. He could be as good as he wants to be." Vertical jump of 40 inches.

:thumbsup:

This kid has to walk in the door and be our pass rush because the Bills didn't get him any help in this draft. Maybe Chris Ellis will come out of nowhere??

You hit it right on. If they could have gotten another big body to help Stroud then the opposition may be forced in to blocking with a TE RB combinationdue to double-teaming the interior. I think Chris Ellis will be given a shot and I hope he takes it. I'm rooting for both but pardon me if my confidence is wavering.

By the way I am happy with ALL the other picks..... outstanding. Byrd and C. Harris are both better than R. Corner, and I'm an RC fan.

I finally did a little looking-into Maybin versus Orakpo, who was the guy most everyone else wanted. Forgive me if this is repeating things already stated.

For starters, Maybin just finished his redshirt sophomore season, while Orakpo finished his redshirt senior season, and as you would guess, Maybin is almost 2 years younger than Orakpo. So if anything, we should be comparing Maybin's past season to Orakpo's 2006 (redshirt sophomore) season. And during that season, Orakpo was 238#, and he got up to 250# for his junior season. I don't know what he benched, but I'm sure it wasn't 31 reps and was probably closer to Maybin's 22 reps. That tells me that Maybin definitely has room to grow and get bigger and stronger.

Other things that set him apart from Orakpo are work ethic, desire, and his first step/explosion off the snap. Erik Flowers had none of these things and was a parting shot by Butler to Ralph.

• 2 years later...

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 A third-year sophomore who declared with two years of eligibility remaining. He redshirted in 2006 and played as a backup and on special teams in 2007, when he notched 12 total tackles, including four sacks. Had a breakout season in 2008, when he started all 13 games and recorded 49 tackles, including 19 TFL. He also led the Big Ten with 12 sacks.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate height for a DE. Has added bulk and appears capable of adding 10-15 more pounds to his frame. Likely to settle in as a rush-LB in the NFL. Is in great physical condition (just four-percent body fat) and displays excellent straight-line speed.

Durability 1 Played in all 25 games during his two seasons of eligibility at PSU. Appears to be a flexible, healthy and durable athlete.

Character 1 Very mature for his young age. Had to grow up in a hurry after mother died from birth complications when Aaron was six years old. He is a natural leader both vocally and by example. Non-stop motor is infectious. Great football character. Not aware of any off-the-field issues.

Defensive End specific Traits

Agility/Quickness 1 Exceptionally quick, even for his type of hybrid DE/OLB. Shows excellent agility and closing burst to the quarterback. Possesses top-shelf body control, as well

Strength/Toughness 3 He is lean and must add bulk to frame. Is light in the rear and shows marginal ability to stack at the line of scrimmage when teams run at him. However, don't mistake small for weak or soft in his case. He is aggressive and feisty. He displays good initial pop and adequate upper-body power. And he certainly does not back down from a one-on-one physical battle.

Instincts 2 A natural playmaker with a knack for jarring the ball loose. Very good snap anticipation and awareness as a pass rusher. Should only continue to improve in this area with more experience.

Pass Rusher 2 Quickest first step of all the edge rushers in the 2009 class. Fluid double moves. Bends the edge tightly. Shows quick hands and strong enough upper body to keep bigger blockers off his pads. Still developing his array of pass rush moves. Gets caught too frequently trying to spin out of double-team attention and needs work in that regard.

Run Stopper 3 Spent a lot of time last season working head-up on the TE as PSU's strong-side DE. Shows discipline with backside containment. Stays low and fights to keep his positioning. Can stack versus most TE's but gets washed out too easily by bigger OT's when they get into his pads.

Trait Scale

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

That was... Depressing.

Courtney Brown

Michael Haynes

Tamba Hali

Aaron Maybin

:worthy:

Tamba Hali is a helluva player. Brown would have been if not for injuries (similar to Andre Wadsworth). Yes, Haynes and Maybin sucked, but lots of good players come from PSU, and to criticize players from there simply because they're from there is simply substituting argumentative gimmickry for real analysis.

Edited by dave mcbride

Funny to see who has always been a homer and who could call a spade a spade. Very insightful on some current posters...

This is the best thread I've read in a long time. You are absolutely right about homers vs. realists (not that every critic is right, however). But as another poster said, time to let it go.

This is the best thread I've read in a long time. You are absolutely right about homers vs. realists (not that every critic is right, however). But as another poster said, time to let it go.

Considering the freshness of the news, why are we letting it go 8 hours later?

Another insightful -- and instructive -- thread. Aah, the beauty of hindsight.

If you don't find re-evaluation of past thoughts to be healthy and constructive then go enjoy your mashed peas and your Wiggles videos.

Thoner7 - Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

"Maybin is not physical. He is more like a blitzing DB than a DE, meaning he weighs 220 and just trys to run around the edge and avoids contact. When the tackle makes contact, Maybin was completely dominated in college, you can bet that will happen more in the NFL. I dont think you will see Maybin drafted till the end of round one and it will NOT be to a 4-3 team. Either that or the Bills take him at 11."

Thoner7, I have newfound, deep respect for ya bro.

Thoner7 - Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

"Maybin is not physical. He is more like a blitzing DB than a DE, meaning he weighs 220 and just trys to run around the edge and avoids contact. When the tackle makes contact, Maybin was completely dominated in college, you can bet that will happen more in the NFL. I dont think you will see Maybin drafted till the end of round one and it will NOT be to a 4-3 team. Either that or the Bills take him at 11."

Thoner7, I have newfound, deep respect for ya bro.

Yep, great calll.

Ive seen him play a lot and I dont like the pick

he's a long shot to even be an everydown player in the NFL

guess Ill give myself a pat on the back for this one

amazed reading through this how many people actually thought it was a good pick

one year wonders rarely work out in the NFL