Ask Tim Graham

Lori

After the Denver Post reported the Broncos wouldn't trade Scheffler, looks like they might after all. Reports are circulating talks with Philly have heated up again.

Seems odd that they wouldn't get something done during the draft, after trading back up into the second round to take Richard Quinn, then do another 180 shortly thereafter. Then again, it's already been an ... interesting ... offseason for the Broncos front office.

Because it IS right after the draft and Denver still has some holes to fill, do you think they might be looking for a player-for-player swap instead of picks? And might Buffalo's interest have cooled -- if it was ever past lukewarm to begin with -- now that Shawn Nelson is in the mix?

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems odd that they wouldn't get something done during the draft, after trading back up into the second round to take Richard Quinn, then do another 180 shortly thereafter. Then again, it's already been an ... interesting ... offseason for the Broncos front office.

Because it IS right after the draft and Denver still has some holes to fill, do you think they might be looking for a player-for-player swap instead of picks? And might Buffalo's interest have cooled -- if it was ever past lukewarm to begin with -- now that Shawn Nelson is in the mix?

I was thinking right after we drafted Nelson that it wouldn't be bad to get both of them. We definitely need another TE (although it should probably be more of a blocker). And Scheffler has only one year left on his contract, so it's tough. Nelson could learn for a year or so. We could play some two TE sets.

I doubt it would work but it's not bad to look into it. Sometimes players can be stolen.

I was thinking right after we drafted Nelson that it wouldn't be bad to get both of them. We definitely need another TE (although it should probably be more of a blocker). And Scheffler has only one year left on his contract, so it's tough. Nelson could learn for a year or so. We could play some two TE sets.

I doubt it would work but it's not bad to look into it. Sometimes players can be stolen.

Hey, Denver needs help in the front seven. Think they'd take Kelsay? :lol:

Oh, wait. McDaniels has seen him play. Scratch that idea ...

My greatest (non-Toronto, football related) fear is that the Bills cut Kelsay, Belichick picks him up, and he makes the Pro Bowl.

Sad part is, I could totally see that happening. I still remember his incredibly athletic pick-six against the Cowboys on MNF, and wonder where that is the rest of the time ...

Sad part is, I could totally see that happening. I still remember his incredibly athletic pick-six against the Cowboys on MNF, and wonder where that is the rest of the time ...

I can't see where he would fit in that defense though...I don't really see him as a 34 LB or DE.

If you read my posts, you'll see I wasn't negative. In one blog I said what the Bills did was risky. In another I said it was curious. I didn't pass judgment at all.

Sometimes, risky is good. Gambles pay off now and then.

Tim,

Thanks for voicing skepticism about taking so many DB's. At the end of the draft, I kept saying CB before the pick came up. Granted it's late Day 2 picks, but 6 DB's in 3 year seems excessive. Do you believe Jauron has more say in draft matters, given that Buffalo doesn't have a real GM?

Thank you.

Tim,

Thanks for voicing skepticism about taking so many DB's. At the end of the draft, I kept saying CB before the pick came up. Granted it's late Day 2 picks, but 6 DB's in 3 year seems excessive. Do you believe Jauron has more say in draft matters, given that Buffalo doesn't have a real GM?

Thank you.

I would think that as the draft gets into the later rounds and the chances of a guy making the team get longer, a coach would have more say. At that point, he has a better handle on what type of prospect would have the best chance to make the roster.

Hey Tim,

Thanks for taking the time. What are you hearing about Leroy Hill? Would he fit in the Bills' budget?

I was house shopping and traveling on Monday. I haven't heard anything but will have some lines in the water tomorrow.

Hey Tim, Where are the Bills planning on playing Aaron Maybin? DE or OLB? I'd love to se him play OLB, but I don't think he's currently a good fit for OLB in a 4-3. You're feelings?

I can't answer for Tim , but the Bills drafted him as a DE and that's where he will play. I don't recall any talk of Maybin being moved to LB.

I can't answer for Tim , but the Bills drafted him as a DE and that's where he will play. I don't recall any talk of Maybin being moved to LB.

Yes but the Bills press release on Maybin listed him as "DE/LB". That set off some expectations that another DE, like Brown, would also be drafted.

PTR

Tim, thanks again and again for providing this service...

I know the Bills will say that they are taking a consensus approach to the draft, and to a large extent I believe that to be true. I also know the big picks may have to go through Ralph, too. And I assume since Russ Brandon has been elevated to the GM role, he's spent as many hours as he can learning to be a personnel man as much as a marketer. But in the war room, is he the man pulling the trigger on the picks, or would he be more of a manager and let Modrak run the show along with Jauron?

I just want to post a quick thank you to you, Tim. I really appreciate you taking the time to shareyour take on the Bills and the rest of the league.

Suggestion to TSW Moderators: Should we maybe pin one of these each month? I think it would be a lot easier to catch up on the "Ask Tim Graham - May 2009" thread than the monster thread this has become.

Do you still love us? Based on your mailbag, it seems like you are getting sick of people getting mad at you just for discussing potential problems with the Bills draft.

Maybe they should drum their heels on the floor faster and louder along with the screaming. The cacophony might make any and all potential problems go away.

Do you still love us? Based on your mailbag, it seems like you are getting sick of people getting mad at you just for discussing potential problems with the Bills draft.

Does it seem that way? I have no problem with people disagreeing with what I write. What's frustrating is when people get angry because of what they think I'm trying to say and put words in my mouth.

Me calling the Bills' approach to the draft "curious" or "risky" doesn't mean I'm bashing it. But there's an awfully large inferiority complex out there that causes people to take a defensive stance before they're done reading the headline let alone the story.

Defending myself against erroneous interpretations gets tiresome.