Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Tim, we would appreciate any insight on how the loss of Linda Bogdan is affecting Ralph and OBD. I imagine folks are devastated though they may have been prepared for it since Linda was battling cancer for a while.

PTR

I don't have any personal insight because I never met Ms. Bogdan or was really exposed to her work in any great measure. She never was made available to the media at the draft like other scouts were (at least not at the five or six drafts I've been to). But if I hear anything I will pass it along.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it seem that way? I have no problem with people disagreeing with what I write. What's frustrating is when people get angry because of what they think I'm trying to say and put words in my mouth.

Me calling the Bills' approach to the draft "curious" or "risky" doesn't mean I'm bashing it. But there's an awfully large inferiority complex out there that causes people to take a defensive stance before they're done reading the headline let alone the story.

Defending myself against erroneous interpretations gets tiresome.

Tim, I'm very upset about your choice in top shelf tequilas.

And I have a superiority complex, not an inferiority one.

Do you believe them when they say the line is going to be:

Walker - Bad Santa - Hangarten - Levitre - Butler?

Is Hangarten adequate at C?

Defending myself against erroneous interpretations gets tiresome.

When I read that you would contributing here, I thought great!! Though I also knew that eventually you would leave, for the exact reason you've stated above, and I'll be sorry to see that happen if it does.

Thanks again, Tim.

No need to thank me. I look forward to it every time I click on the bookmark.

Dull life Tim?

Tim, I'm very upset about your choice in top shelf tequilas.

And I have a superiority complex, not an inferiority one.

Do you believe them when they say the line is going to be:

Walker - Bad Santa - Hangarten - Levitre - Butler?

Is Hangarten adequate at C?

Bad Santa is Wood. The dimwit probably doesn't know that's only a nickname amongst a few here. :doh:

I don't want to answer for Tim but no, he wouldn't be. The inner circle is just the few guys at the very top. In fact, I heard that Brandon was (briefly) a little miffed that even Modrak was promoted into the "inner circle". Granted, there isn't an official "inner circle" with secret handshake, so it may vary depending on who you talk to. But a scout, even one with Nix's reputation would not be. He'd probably be in the room but not the "inner circle."

Tim-Much effort has been spent breaking down the front office hierarchy. I won't waste your time here, but does Brandon view himself, in your opinion, as a GM with functions similar to a Jerry Reese or Scott Pioli?

This whole front office set up sounds like something Greg Marmalard and Dean Wormer are involved with. Too bad we don't have Bluto Blutarsky and Otter running the show.

Dull life Tim?

Bad Santa is Wood. The dimwit probably doesn't know that's only a nickname amongst a few here. :doh:

Which one are you calling a dimwit, chucklehead?

"Clarity, clarity, clarity." -- Strunk and White, Elements of Style

Regarding a new thread -- yeah, probably a good idea, although it's been fun to watch the hit count climb on this one. I'll take care of that when I get back from the stadium later tonight ...

Tim-Much effort has been spent breaking down the front office hierarchy. I won't waste your time here, but does Brandon view himself, in your opinion, as a GM with functions similar to a Jerry Reese or Scott Pioli?

This whole front office set up sounds like something Greg Marmalard and Dean Wormer are involved with. Too bad we don't have Bluto Blutarsky and Otter running the show.

I certainly hope Brandon doesn't see himself that way, at least not yet, and I pray he doesn't have that kind of power in Buffalo. I'm fairly sure he does not.

You mention Reese and Pioli. You should also mention TD and Matt Millen, to name a few who had the power but weren't successful. The problem with a very strong GM is, there are just too few great ones, and the job has gotten to be more complex than it was years ago...same goes for Head Coach. From what I can tell, more teams are going to shared responsibilities and a team approach, and putting constraints on the power of one person.

As Tim has stated, at least once already, there are probably 32 different arrangements of power in the 32 NFL teams.

We get frustrated as we don't know who to blame for the certain things that piss us off. Too bad! We don't need to know who does what, and who makes the ultimate decisions...as long as the Bills know it, and evaluate all the aspects of their decisions.

I don't know if Russ Brandon can be compared to any other executive in the league.

We can't really go by titles because each team is different. For instance, Pioli was vice president of player personnel in New England. He is just general manager in Kansas City, but wields much more power than he did in New England.

I have noticed that Russ Brandon is listed as COO/GM on some Bills materials, just COO on others.

I certainly hope Brandon doesn't see himself that way, at least not yet, and I pray he doesn't have that kind of power in Buffalo. I'm fairly sure he does not.

You mention Reese and Pioli. You should also mention TD and Matt Millen, to name a few who had the power but weren't successful. The problem with a very strong GM is, there are just too few great ones, and the job has gotten to be more complex than it was years ago...same goes for Head Coach. From what I can tell, more teams are going to shared responsibilities and a team approach, and putting constraints on the power of one person.

As Tim has stated, at least once already, there are probably 32 different arrangements of power in the 32 NFL teams.

We get frustrated as we don't know who to blame for the certain things that piss us off. Too bad! We don't need to know who does what, and who makes the ultimate decisions...as long as the Bills know it, and evaluate all the aspects of their decisions.

Certainly there are some poor GM's. Millen wielded almost unlimited power for about 5 years longer than he should have. Then again, when owners run the show and make money, they don't change much. It took WC Ford's son to say something publicly to effect change.

Good GM's are hard to find, and there are some bad ones. I know you disagree with me, but I believe a GM should run the football side of the house without interference. Unless of course there is some major money being thrown around in UFA. Then, I can see an owner asking some questions.

I don't think more teams are going to the consensus approach. I can name plenty of teams who have a GM or have a oligarchial form: Belichick, Parcells/Ireland, Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Colbert, Polian, AJ Smith, Pioli, Reinfeldt (TEN), Reese, Reid/Heckert, Ted Thompson, Dimitroff, Hurney, Rod Graves, and Tim Ruskell. That's pretty much half the league with a above average to excellent decision maker in the front office. There are guys out there right now who can be GM's, but with only 32 of those jobs, it takes time. Not many people probably heard of Tom Dimitroff 18 months ago, but he's constructed a fine team that appears ready to be successful long term.

Regarding a new thread -- yeah, probably a good idea, although it's been fun to watch the hit count climb on this one. I'll take care of that when I get back from the stadium later tonight ...

I am with you there. When I see the hit count, I wonder if this thread can match the TD: Son of Satan thread :doh:

WAIT! What's the record? I need to aspire to something!

You have a ways to go. This is a good starting point for some of the record threads.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=88481

Of course being in company with them may not be a good idea. The majority were started by, or evolved into slamming a member of the window licking, short bus rodeo.

You have a ways to go. This is a good starting point for some of the record threads.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=88481

Of course being in company with them may not be a good idea. The majority were started by, or evolved into slamming a member of the window licking, short bus rodeo.

You started those threads? :flirt:

I don't want to answer for Tim but no, he wouldn't be. The inner circle is just the few guys at the very top. In fact, I heard that Brandon was (briefly) a little miffed that even Modrak was promoted into the "inner circle". Granted, there isn't an official "inner circle" with secret handshake, so it may vary depending on who you talk to. But a scout, even one with Nix's reputation would not be. He'd probably be in the room but not the "inner circle."

I find it hard to believe that they hired an assistant GM/director of college/pro scouting from one of the most successful NFL teams just to be a scout. That's a major demotion.