Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Tim, thanks again and again for providing this service...

I know the Bills will say that they are taking a consensus approach to the draft, and to a large extent I believe that to be true. I also know the big picks may have to go through Ralph, too. And I assume since Russ Brandon has been elevated to the GM role, he's spent as many hours as he can learning to be a personnel man as much as a marketer. But in the war room, is he the man pulling the trigger on the picks, or would he be more of a manager and let Modrak run the show along with Jauron?

This was the first year with the new "inner circle." I'm not sure how it worked. Probably not much different than past years, but I'll probably hear some insight in the coming weeks.

A lot of folks have asked what Wilson thought of the draft. Brandon said that Wilson was in the draft room, but we never heard from him.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to post a quick thank you to you, Tim. I really appreciate you taking the time to shareyour take on the Bills and the rest of the league.

Suggestion to TSW Moderators: Should we maybe pin one of these each month? I think it would be a lot easier to catch up on the "Ask Tim Graham - May 2009" thread than the monster thread this has become.

I've thought about that myself, but obviously haven't done anything. Probably be a good thing to ask the host how he wants to play it. Your thoughts, Tim?

Does it seem that way? I have no problem with people disagreeing with what I write. What's frustrating is when people get angry because of what they think I'm trying to say and put words in my mouth.

Me calling the Bills' approach to the draft "curious" or "risky" doesn't mean I'm bashing it. But there's an awfully large inferiority complex out there that causes people to take a defensive stance before they're done reading the headline let alone the story.

Defending myself against erroneous interpretations gets tiresome.

I have a much thinner-skin than you do. I admire that you are able to engage readers even when they their criticism gets particularly angry and particularly unfair.

I personally like the draft overall (though I question the DB stuff), but the comments that you received here and on your blog made me cringe a little bit.

I was just making sure that the few bad apples here were not finally driving you away.

Does it seem that way? I have no problem with people disagreeing with what I write. What's frustrating is when people get angry because of what they think I'm trying to say and put words in my mouth.

Me calling the Bills' approach to the draft "curious" or "risky" doesn't mean I'm bashing it. But there's an awfully large inferiority complex out there that causes people to take a defensive stance before they're done reading the headline let alone the story.

Hey Tim: please keep doing what you're doing! In fact, it would be great if more of the media covering the Bills did voice their opinions... Bills fans are funny, they either love to love, or love to hate, their team. No in between! Your ESPN Blog is outstanding, too. I was visiting some of the other divisions' blogs on ESPN.com and I think it's fair to say that you've spoiled us.

I would say it's part of the job Tim. You write your opinions on a blog that has a lot of viewers, so I would have to think that you would need thick skin to keep doing what you do. Who care's if other people are putting words in your mouth as long as you know that is not the case right?

Anyhow, I think for the most part, people enjoy reading your opinions and insight that you have that most of us don't.

I would say it's part of the job Tim. You write your opinions on a blog that has a lot of viewers, so I would have to think that you would need thick skin to keep doing what you do. Who care's if other people are putting words in your mouth as long as you know that is not the case right?

Anyhow, I think for the most part, people enjoy reading your opinions and insight that you have that most of us don't.

Maybe I shouldn't jump in here, but ...

If someone else puts words in his mouth, and other people start believing he actually said something he didn't, then yeah, that IS something to care about. Look at the hue and cry here over something Mike Schopp may or may not have said on WGR a couple of days ago.

JMO, and your results may vary ...

If someone else puts words in his mouth, and other people start believing he actually said something he didn't, then yeah, that IS something to care about. Look at the hue and cry here over something Mike Schopp may or may not have said on WGR a couple of days ago.

Lori, it does no good to get bothered about things that you can't control, specially if you are in a position to where you are putting yourself out there in a very public manner, by giving your opinions about sports. I am not saying what is correct or not, that is besides the point, what I am trying to say is that it does no good to get worked up about what other people think, say or do.

Definitely true, Lori. Like Tim said, some people don't even bother to finish reading the title of article, let alone the content, before going off. And then others just see the first guy throwing a fit and assume he was "right". The snowball effect of the retard rodeo.

Not sure how much one can truly care about it. It happens. Hasn't nearly every writer and sports analyst been ripped on this forum at one time or another?

Lori, it does no good to get bothered about things that you can't control, specially if you are in a position to where you are putting yourself out there in a very public manner, by giving your opinions about sports. I am not saying what is correct or not, that is besides the point, what I am trying to say is that it does no good to get worked up about what other people think, say or do.

Getting worked up is one thing. Correcting "erroneous interpretations" so they don't become accepted as fact is something else completely.

Getting worked up is one thing. Correcting "erroneous interpretations" so they don't become accepted as fact is something else completely.

I don't want to speak for Tim, but I imagine it's hard not to be annoyed when it's just email after email and post after post saying the same bs to him.

So we have our weaker light in the pants LB playing the strong side?

He does. IIRC, Keiaho noted upon visiting OBD that Buffalo runs their LB's in opposite positions. Mitchell is the Will and whomever happens to be opposite is the Sam.

I know Mitchell has pretty good straight speed for a 250 pound guy, though isn't as good laterally. But I would think they need someone to play the strong side bigger than the other sub 240 pounders Ellison, Bowen, Buggs, Corto, N. Harris and Costanzo.

This was the first year with the new "inner circle." I'm not sure how it worked. Probably not much different than past years, but I'll probably hear some insight in the coming weeks.

A lot of folks have asked what Wilson thought of the draft. Brandon said that Wilson was in the draft room, but we never heard from him.

Is Buddy Nix among the inner circle? I would find it hard to believe that a man of his talents is not.

He does. IIRC, Keiaho noted upon visiting OBD that Buffalo runs their LB's in opposite positions. Mitchell is the Will and whomever happens to be opposite is the Sam.

I know Mitchell has pretty good straight speed for a 250 pound guy, though isn't as good laterally. But I would think they need someone to play the strong side bigger than the other sub 240 pounders Ellison, Bowen, Buggs, Corto, N. Harris and Costanzo.

Shows how observant I am. I just assumed that the lighter/weaker LB played the weak side. That's what I get...

Is Buddy Nix among the inner circle? I would find it hard to believe that a man of his talents is not.

I don't want to answer for Tim but no, he wouldn't be. The inner circle is just the few guys at the very top. In fact, I heard that Brandon was (briefly) a little miffed that even Modrak was promoted into the "inner circle". Granted, there isn't an official "inner circle" with secret handshake, so it may vary depending on who you talk to. But a scout, even one with Nix's reputation would not be. He'd probably be in the room but not the "inner circle."