Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Tim,

I'm curious about how an assignment like the Maybin article typically arises. Who decides that it should be written and how is the subject chosen? Do you have input on which player it will be?

It seems like this kind of article is written about at least one rookie per team every year. Inevitably the fans then latch onto that player and build him up before he's even played a single game... like Donte for example. If the player lives up to expectations on the field the momentum builds... if not, a backlash is inevitable... like in Donte's case.

Your articles are always fair and don't over-hype the player. But it seems that regardless of the angle that's taken, there's an inescapable element of mythmaking in this type of article. I imagine that's what the readers want, that's what your editor wants, that's what the team wants, and that's what the player wants. It's really what spectator sports is all about.

An interesting story can be written about almost any player. So who chooses the player, and how is the decision made? The top pick is the obvious choice, but what if the guy's a jerk? In that case the article usually hints at the fact that he's a jerk but the myth will still be made. "He's a jerk, but he's the kind of jerk you like to have on your team and hate to play against." That sorta thing.

So it goes.

About 95 percent of what I write comes from me. We have a ton of freedom at ESPN.com. We do have assignments on occasion. For instance, over draft weekend we had two obligations we had to meet, one on Saturday night to look at the top couple picks and another on Sunday night to wrap up the whole thing. Aside from that, I write whatever I want. I think there were about 20-25 posts on my blog that weekend.

The Maybin story came about because every week the bloggers are expected to produce one column-length blog. It gives us a chance to write something of substance as opposed to an endless string of four-paragraph blogs. I generally write long anyway. I probably write five or six column-length blogs a week, so my readers wouldn't notice a difference, but some other bloggers have a different style, and their column-length items stand out as something extra special.

Maybin was supposed to be my column last week. NFC North blogger Keven Seifert and I usually run our columns on Tuesdays, but mine got pushed back because we were backed up with material from the draft.

I thought to write about Maybin because I was in Buffalo for the draft and had an interview with Lavar Arrington (who was at One Bills Drive) in my back pocket, but so did every other reporter at the draft. To make my story different than the other Arrington stories you would have read on Tuesday, I took a couple extra steps and called Maybin's father and got Maybin on the phone Friday for a followup interview.

I also put in a request to speak to Joe Paterno, but he doesn't do many phone interviews. I guess if you wanted to see some negativity presented I could have called ... Who? The Ellicott City Police Department to see if he has a juvenile record?

The types of stories that upset people usually say a lot more about them than it says about the story.

If you see stories like this as mythmaking, then I guess we'll have to wait until a player is in the league for a few years before we can accept him as a good person. Should we not be writing about Michael Oher's inspiring background because he might hold up a liquor store some day?

My feature is a snapshot on where Maybin, a 21-year-old kid, is right now in his life and where he comes from. Not a testimony for the legacy he'll leave behind.

When I write about Marshawn Lynch or Donte Whitner, I'm a hater.

When I write a story about a kid who up until this point in his life has handled himself with class, I'm a mythmaker or a shill.

I hope people who regularly stop by this thread or read the comments at the bottom of my blogs understand how frustrating it is to be asked to defend my work, a trend that has heated up over the past couple weeks. Consider this the last time I do that. If you want to ask questions about the roster or trades, fine. But from now on I'm probably going to be ignoring a lot of questions and comments, too.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,

I'm sure its beating a dead horse still but any news on fast freddie jackson's contract status?? I am sure it befuddles everyone as to why the bills would not lock this guy up. If we let him walk, I can foresee Bellicheck getting his hands on him. Just a hunch, but that guy knows how to pick good football players.

thanks and keep up the good writing,

ryan

As far as the Bills are concerned, they already have him locked up. Jackson can't sign with anybody else, so he really has no choice but to sign or sit out a year until he becomes a restricted free agent.

That said, it would be better for both sides if Jackson signed a contract he was happy with.

I hope people who regularly stop by this thread or read the comments at the bottom of my blogs understand how frustrating it is to be asked to defend my work. Consider this the last time I do that. If you want to ask questions about the roster or trades, fine. But from now on I'm probably going to be ignoring a lot of questions and comments, too.

Good Policy, Tim! Like I've said before, keep doin' what you're doing!

About 95 percent of what I write comes from me. We have a ton of freedom at ESPN.com. We do have assignments on occasion. For instance, over draft weekend we had two obligations we had to meet, one on Saturday night to look at the top couple picks and another on Sunday night to wrap up the whole thing. Aside from that, I write whatever I want. I think there were about 20-25 posts on my blog that weekend.

The Maybin story came about because every week the bloggers are expected to produce one column-length blog. It gives us a chance to write something of substance as opposed to an endless string of four-paragraph blogs. I generally write long anyway. I probably write five or six column-length blogs a week, so my readers wouldn't notice a difference, but some other bloggers have a different style, and their column-length items stand out as something extra special.

So Maybin was supposed to be my column last week. NFC North blogger Keven Seifert and I usually run our columns on Tuesdays, but mine got pushed back because we were backed up with material from the draft.

I thought to write about Maybin because I was in Buffalo for the draft and had an interview with Lavar Arrington (who was at One Bills Drive) in my back pocket, but so did every other reporter at the draft. To make my story different than the other Arrington stories you would have read on Tuesday, I took a couple extra steps and called Maybin's father and got Maybin on the phone Friday for a followup interview.

I also put in a request to speak to Joe Paterno, but he doesn't do many phone interviews. I guess if you wanted to see some negativity presented I could have called ... Who? The Ellicott City Police Department to see if he has a juvenile record?

The types of stories that upset people usually say a lot more about them than it says about the story.

If you see stories like this as mythmaking, then I guess we'll have to wait until a player is in the league for a few years before we can accept him as a good person. That's a pretty sad way to go through life, if you ask me.

Should we not be writing about Michael Oher's inspiring background because he might hold up a liquor store some day?

My feature is a snapshot on where Maybin, a 21-year-old kid, is right now in his life and where he comes from. Not a testimony for the legacy he'll leave behind.

When I write about Marshawn Lynch pr Donte Whitner, I'm a hater.

When I write a story about a kid who up until this point in his life has handled himself with class, I'm a mythmaker or a shill.

I hope people who regularly stop by this thread or read the comments at the bottom of my blogs understand how frustrating it is to be asked to defend my work. Consider this the last time I do that. If you want to ask questions about the roster or trades, fine. But from now on I'm probably going to be ignoring a lot of questions and comments, too.

i don't post a heck of a lot, try mostly to pick up a tidbit or two along the way from those who seem to have a keen eye for football, and have been reading your articles and/or posts here along the way. all i can say about your response here was...

priceless.

personally, i rarely invite people over, or go over to their house, to kick 'em in the chops.

I see you broke the code. :wallbash:

Hey Tim,

I tried to get this question across to you in the chat (I know, one of hundreds). Are the people that you have spoken to that are concerned about Langston Walker basing it on watching him play, or do you think it's more a matter of a nondescript RT who's pushing 30 being forced to play the left side? I'm no expert, but from watching every Bills game, it seems like he's done a pretty good job playing both sides of the line. He's not a Pro Bowler, but he certainly doesn't seem to be the biggest problem on the team. How concerned would you personally be about him if you were a fan of the team?

PS. My comments seem to be sticking now on your blog posts. Maybe it was just me.

Hey Tim,

I tried to get this question across to you in the chat (I know, one of hundreds). Are the people that you have spoken to that are concerned about Langston Walker basing it on watching him play, or do you think it's more a matter of a nondescript RT who's pushing 30 being forced to play the left side? I'm no expert, but from watching every Bills game, it seems like he's done a pretty good job playing both sides of the line. He's not a Pro Bowler, but he certainly doesn't seem to be the biggest problem on the team. How concerned would you personally be about him if you were a fan of the team?

PS. My comments seem to be sticking now on your blog posts. Maybe it was just me.

Scouts I have spoken to don't like his footwork on the left side. He has great arm length to fend off pass rushers, but they think over the course of the season, the good ones will blow past him.

Glad you're able to comment now. I have no jurisdiction over that part of the site, so I would be clueless on trying to help. I look forward to seeing your comments over there.

OK, time for football questions for Tim:

It seems that it would be so easy to plug some of the remaining holes. I guess salary cap room is also a major consideration. I don't see how their roster now will be good enough to win in the division this year. There's still no legit Left Tackle (or right, if Butler slides right & Walker flips to left). Strong-side LB looks like Ellison or Nic Harris.

Really, when all is said and done, we're talking about a short-term (1yr?) band-aid solution for Strong-side LB and LT, as long as the rookies develop.

Will the Bills look at any more vets? (Be it trade or FAs?)

Brian Waters?

Levi Jones?

Also, what about LB? Is Derrick Brooks too old - has he retired? I heard he was making a decision soon.

But from now on I'm probably going to be ignoring a lot of questions and comments, too.

:wallbash: how will I know the difference? :P

In all seriousness...hope you keep dropping in when you can. Your input is very welcome.

Maybin was supposed to be my column last week. NFC North blogger Keven Seifert and I usually run our columns on Tuesdays, but mine got pushed back because we were backed up with material from the draft.

If you see stories like this as mythmaking, then I guess we'll have to wait until a player is in the league for a few years before we can accept him as a good person. Should we not be writing about Michael Oher's inspiring background because he might hold up a liquor store some day?

I hope people who regularly stop by this thread or read the comments at the bottom of my blogs understand how frustrating it is to be asked to defend my work, a trend that has heated up over the past couple weeks. Consider this the last time I do that. If you want to ask questions about the roster or trades, fine. But from now on I'm probably going to be ignoring a lot of questions and comments, too.

Thanks for the "Behind The Story" take, regardless of what brought it on, and thanks for continuing to put up with us. I don't know the exact number of national writers who are willing to actually seek out interaction with fans, but it has to be a very small percentage -- at best, most grudgingly tolerate the comments sections on their own sites. So ... do whatever you have to do, and know that most of us do appreciate your presence here.

By the way, I'm sure you're aware that the "Saint Joe" image isn't exactly shared by the PSU press corps, so I'm guessing you're not sitting by the phone waiting for that callback from Paterno ...

Off-topic: Any thoughts on the NYT's threat to file WARN papers to shut down the Boston Globe, leaving the Herald as the last (major) paper standing ... errr, wobbling ... in that market? (Update: Never mind. Guess they've backed off that.)

But from now on I'm probably going to be ignoring a lot of questions and comments, too.

I think a lot of people are just out to get you goat. They want to piss you off. I think all of us have dealt with a similar type of person as we go through life, but that's usually just in normal conversation.

You're putting out stuff that stays there for a long time and so those Jackasses have a long time to formulate their stupidity. I agree, the best thing is to ignore them. Sometimes things are so infuriatingly stupid it can raise your ire very quickly so stop and take a breath or two, grab a beer and let it roll off your back instead. There are times I've had to do that and it's really, really hard. <_< 'em. :worthy:

As far as the Bills are concerned, they already have him locked up. Jackson can't sign with anybody else, so he really has no choice but to sign or sit out a year until he becomes a restricted free agent.

That said, it would be better for both sides if Jackson signed a contract he was happy with.

Tim, love the fact that you post here, regarding Jackson, isn't anyone in the FO worried about the attitude Jackson may develop (or already has) since the contract dispute with the FO? He seems like a valuable piece to have on the team it seems counter productive to have him angry and lose the chance to possibly lock him up long term. From my standpoint as a fan, i think he fills a role in a big way and the money he wants isn't that much, why not sign him and keep him happy?

Tim, love the fact that you post here, regarding Jackson, isn't anyone in the FO worried about the attitude Jackson may develop (or already has) since the contract dispute with the FO? He seems like a valuable piece to have on the team it seems counter productive to have him angry and lose the chance to possibly lock him up long term. From my standpoint as a fan, i think he fills a role in a big way and the money he wants isn't that much, why not sign him and keep him happy?

He's not the priority.