Ask Tim Graham

Lori

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good breakdown.

http://mvn.com/community/2009/04/the-anato...ning-bonus.html

Matt Ryan, had no signing bonus but a lot of "guarenteed" money, yet his min salary was $295,000 and therefore that is what went against the rookie cap.

Actually, that article doesn't tell us or mention a thing about what counts toward the rookie cap, but okay... :thumbsup:

Way to be non-commital Tim.

Murph (Albany, NY): Better end of the Peter's deal - Buffalo or Philly??

Tim Graham: (12:13 PM ET ) I think it will be one of those deals you can debate. The Bills came away with Eric Wood and Shawn Nelson. They should have nice careers, but it will come down to how much you value a left tackle.

Tim Graham: (12:13 PM ET ) I think it will be one of those deals you can debate. The Bills came away with Eric Wood and Shawn Nelson. They should have nice careers, but it will come down to how much you value a left tackle.

Look - it depends which Peters plays for Philly: if it is the 2006 version - eagles probably win the trade war. If it is the 2007 version, then it is a tie or a slight edge to the eagles (= decent OT but at exorbitant price). But if they get the 2008 version (12-14 games, 10+ sacks, 5-10 penalties) then the Bills are big winners simply because they won't be paying the guy 10+ mil a year.

It may take 2-3 years to know if Wood and/or nelson are any good. I am hoping we will have an idea THIS year but it is rare that rookies play well.

(but not unheard of)

Look - it depends which Peters plays for Philly: if it is the 2006 version - eagles probably win the trade war. If it is the 2007 version, then it is a tie or a slight edge to the eagles (= decent OT but at exorbitant price). But if they get the 2008 version (12-14 games, 10+ sacks, 5-10 penalties) then the Bills are big winners simply because they won't be paying the guy 10+ mil a year.

It may take 2-3 years to know if Wood and/or nelson are any good. I am hoping we will have an idea THIS year but it is rare that rookies play well.

(but not unheard of)

Doesn't it also depend on if they're wrong and Langston Walker gets abused and we end up starting Fitzpatpatsack for a bunch of games?

Doesn't it also depend on if they're wrong and Langston Walker gets abused and we end up starting Fitzpatpatsack for a bunch of games?

"Fitzpatpatsack"? Nice. I'll have to remember that one. :thumbsup:

If you take last year's "stats" at face value, Peters gave up nearly 1 sack per game that he played in. Do you really think Walker is going to average allowing more than a sack per game if he's the LT? Point being, why would he suddenly get killed just because it's someone other than Peters giving up 11 or so sacks a year?

If I recall, the one game where Edwards did get killed (Arizona), Peters played. Albeit the killing sack wasn't a result of Peters' play; but it points to the fact that having Peters in the lineup does not guarantee a clean jersey on the QB.

If you take last year's "stats" at face value, Peters gave up nearly 1 sack per game that he played in. Do you really think Walker is going to average allowing more than a sack per game if he's the LT? Point being, why would he suddenly get killed just because it's someone other than Peters giving up 11 or so sacks a year?

If I recall, the one game where Edwards did get killed (Arizona), Peters played. Albeit the killing sack wasn't a result of Peters' play; but it points to the fact that having Peters in the lineup does not guarantee a clean jersey on the QB.

It wasn't a question about Peters specifically. So, your answer is inapposite in the sense of how Walker plays.

But, from what I recall, Edwards did miss games last year and ended the season with concerns he may need surgery on his throwing shoulder. It's a stretch to think that working behind a line that has never played 1 NFL snap together will absolutely, positively be a huge improvement simply because the big guy who held out won't be there.

As far as it goes, for this year it seems like you could, possibly, grade this trade by the matrix of how Peters and the Eagles do vs. how Walker and the Bills do. If both teams do great, then it was a good trade for both. If both teams suck and their LTs suck, then it was a bust trade for both. If the Bills do great and the Peters sucks, the Bills make out. If the Eagles do great and Walker plays like a journeyman, then the Eagles get the edge...

What information do you want me to base my decision off of? The speculation of which Peters will show up, or the speculation of two players who haven't stepped onto an NFL field yet?

What information do you want me to base my decision off of? The speculation of which Peters will show up, or the speculation of two players who haven't stepped onto an NFL field yet?

I want you to base it on who you have the Bills taking in the sixth round in your 2010 mock.

Based on your knowledge of the players and how you expect them to fit into the schemes. Would Peters have really been happy in Buffalo once they gave him Jake Long money or would he have been a little B word again once another linemen somewhere made more than him? If he truely would have never been happy in Buffalo, obviously it worked out for Buffalo. It doesn't mean it can't work out for Philly as well, but what metrics do you base that on?

Based on your knowledge of the players and how you expect them to fit into the schemes. Would Peters have really been happy in Buffalo once they gave him Jake Long money or would he have been a little B word again once another linemen somewhere made more than him? If he truely would have never been happy in Buffalo, obviously it worked out for Buffalo. It doesn't mean it can't work out for Philly as well, but what metrics do you base that on?

So, you want Tim to speculate on suppositions based on fantasies about what might have happened in a parallel universe? Tim must be a god! :thumbsup:

So you take a shot at me for not having a definitive response and you can't even come up with definitive parameters?

But if you need an answer I'll say Buffalo with absolutely no basis for that opinion. A pure guess, which makes for compelling conversation.

So you take a shot at me for not having a definitive response and you can't even come up with definitive parameters?

But if you need an answer I'll say Buffalo with absolutely no basis for that opinion. A pure guess, which makes for compelling conversation.

Shoulda said Philly. Conversation would have been much more lively.

Oh, I forgot about that guy.

Buffalo all the way.

Did you flip a coin or roll dice for this answer? :w00t:

Shoulda said Philly. Conversation would have been much more lively.

That's true. People would call you a negative Nancy, for starters. :thumbsup:

What number between 1 and 10 am I thinking of?

Tim:

You are tasked with saving the newspaper industry. What do you do?

Get all of the major papers together and insist they start charging for local content. Not much, maybe a few cents per story and force the government to enforce copyright laws like they did against Napster.