Alphadawg7

If we take Pettigrew #11...  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel about it?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • preferr someone else, but could live with it
    • Dont like it at all

Its not my first choice (or my second...or my third), but I wouldn't be upset with it. Its been a major problem for the Bills for many years now, but if we're going to burn an 11th overall pick at TE, I'd rather he be more of a big play threat as a receiver.

Seems a lot of mocks have us taking him #11, even with top DE's still on board...whats your opinnion if we do?

:lol:

As long as the Bills have one of the worst DLs in the NFL and a backup quality C, they will be fixtures at the bottom of the AFCE.

We need a TE with one of our first two picks. Pettigrew I think could be fine but I think Coffman second round could be equally as good as Pettigrew and we could get our DE first round.

Pretty much my thinking too...I like Coffman if we can get him in the 2nd and would rather see us go with DE in the first

With seeing all the mocks that have Buffalo taking a TE with its first pick, tells me one thing.....they didnt pay attention to our season, and they didnt see the lack of pass rush our team had. TE is a needed in Buffalo, but everything is 2nd to DE. And to be honest, I think the center position is more important than TE. But hopefully thats taken care of in FA. And if it is, I do see a TE being taken with the 2nd round pick. But on the other hand, I can see Buffalo keeping who they have at TE......

Seems a lot of mocks have us taking him #11, even with top DE's still on board...whats your opinnion if we do?

the bills have a problem that being that there is not a TE or a DE worthy of #11. however that could be good news if one of the elite OT's or QB's drops allowing us to trade and drop down to pick up one of the 2 elite centers in this draft and in the process acquiring additional picks which we need.

the guy is a thug and a very bad character guy and not really an elite TE worthy of #11 no freaking way do the bills touch the guy

Couldn't be further from the truth. He put himself in a bad position once. There is no doubt about that. He has had no other mess ups and has been a model teammate and team leader.

We need a TE, but it is a reach. TEs don't usually go that high, save for Winslow. If we traded down to picks 17-22 then by all means.

With guys like Maulauga, Orakpo, Brown, and Raji likely to be on the board still, I'd rather go with one of them.

If there's still an Orakpo on the board and we take a TE, I think that would be a stupid move. Again, you build a team with the lines. And right now our DL is hurting.

We don't throw enough to a TE to make the #11 pick a worthwhile pick. I don't know much about Pettigrew - but unless he is the second coming of Gonzales or Gates in his prime, I'm against this.

C

We need a TE, but it is a reach. TEs don't usually go that high, save for Winslow. If we traded down to picks 17-22 then by all means.

Top tight end drafted in the last ten years:

2008. 30-Keller

2007. 31-Olson

2006. 6-Davis

2005. 30-Miller

2004. 6-Winslow

2003. 24-Clark

2002. 14-Shockey

2001. 31-Heap

2000. 14-Franks

1999. 42-Kelly

I didn't vote, because I think it all depends on what we do in free agency.

Couldn't be further from the truth. He put himself in a bad position once. There is no doubt about that. He has had no other mess ups and has been a model teammate and team leader.

you may be right but every site i have gone to has him flagged with bad character issues and you know the bills stance on character plus i dont believe he is the best player that will be available @ #11. we have bigger needs @ center linebacker and de however i am not impressed with the DE's in this draft @ 11.

Top tight end drafted in the last ten years:

2008. 30-Keller

2007. 31-Olson

2006. 6-Davis

2005. 30-Miller

2004. 6-Winslow

2003. 24-Clark

2002. 14-Shockey

2001. 31-Heap

2000. 14-Franks

1999. 42-Kelly

I didn't vote, because I think it all depends on what we do in free agency.

That's a nice list...goes to show that tight ends rarely bust. Davis is the exception, and I think Greg Olsen will pan out once the Bears work out a competent passing game.

One the one hand, I don't like the thought of the Bills taking a tight end at #11 because it seems too high and they have alot of other needs. But at the same time, look at this history of tight ends taken in the top 40

30 - Dustin Keller - NYJ

38 - John Carlson - Sea

31 - Greg Olson - Chi

38 - Zach Miller - Oak

6 - Vernon Davis - SF

28 - Mercedes Lewis - Jax

30 - Heath Miller - Pit

6 - Kellen Winslow - Cle

32 - Ben Watson - NE

Obviously there are a few questions on the list above, but overall I think they could all contribute to this team. My only question is, and will remain to be, is the 11th pick too high for him? Alot of drafts say that if the Bills pass on him, he will drop to the end of the 1st possibly...

One the one hand, I don't like the thought of the Bills taking a tight end at #11 because it seems too high and they have alot of other needs. But at the same time, look at this history of tight ends taken in the top 40

30 - Dustin Keller - NYJ

38 - John Carlson - Sea

31 - Greg Olson - Chi

38 - Zach Miller - Oak

6 - Vernon Davis - SF

28 - Mercedes Lewis - Jax

30 - Heath Miller - Pit

6 - Kellen Winslow - Cle

32 - Ben Watson - NE

Obviously there are a few questions on the list above, but overall I think they could all contribute to this team. My only question is, and will remain to be, is the 11th pick too high for him? Alot of drafts say that if the Bills pass on him, he will drop to the end of the 1st possibly...

Nice list...

My choice isn't listed.

In a vacuum, not the choice I would want. But, I would refrain from judgment until I see what they do in FA, and who they draft in the other rounds. There is far too much emphasis place on the first round pick, IMO. I look at all the offseason moves, as a whole.

Watching the guy at SB practice, he is big and catches everything thrown even close to him,really good blocker also, which will help in the running game.He would give Edwards some big time help right away,just my opinion. Lets see how he does in the combine workouts and senior bowl though.

Brandon Pettigrew | TE

Scouts Grade: Insider Only

2008 NCF STATS

SCHOOL RECEPTIONS YARDS TOUCHDOWNS

Oklahoma State 42 472 0

Height: 6'5 "

Weight: 260 lbs

College: OKLAHOMA STATE

Flag: N/A

Overall Rank: 13

Position Rank: 1

Player|NCAA School|Position|Flag |All Ranked Players |NFL Draft History

ProfileNewsESPN LocalVideoBlog NetworkGrading Scale

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 Red-shirted in 2004. Played in 11 games (nine starts) as a freshman in 2005, finishing with 128 yards and one TD on 11 receptions. Started all 13 games as a sophomore in 2006, finishing with 310 yards and four scores on 24 receptions. Started all 13 games as a junior in 2007, finishing with 540 yards (15.4) and four scores on 35 receptions

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Possesses prototypical height and bulk for a NFL tight end. He's a good athlete but his straight-line speed is adequate-at-best for the position.

Durability 1 Injuries have not been an issue; he has started all 13 games during each of the past two seasons (2006-'07).

Character 4 Charged with felony assault and battery of a police officer in February, 2008. Police responded to an altercation at a residence in Stillwater, OK. When asked to leave, Pettigrew refused and elbowed an officer in the chest. Pettigrew has since pleaded guilty to a lesser charge (misdemeanor assault and battery) in return for fines paid and 20 hours of community service. He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor public intoxication in the incident and was fined $100. He received a deferred sentence and won't have a criminal record if he successfully completes probation. Coach Mike Gundy declined to suspend Pettigrew, saying in February that he would allow the case to run its course.

Tight End specific Traits

Ball Skills 2 Productive receiver with big, soft hands. He can pluck on the run and also catches the ball consistently over his head. Rarely drops a 'catchable' pass and when he does it typically has been due to a lapse in concentration

Separation Skills 3 Big target; knows how to use his frame to shield defenders from the ball. Is fluid and smooth for his size. Shows adequate-to-good initial burst off the line. But he doesn't run all of his routes with the same level of urgency. He is sloppy with his breaks and needs rounds too many off. Shows an overall lack of discipline at times

Blocking 1 Better blocker than most at his position. Big frame with long arms and big hands. Good overall strength for a TE. Is able to anchor at the point of attack when he stays low. Displays good upper-body power for the position and flashes a mean streak. Does a good job with his first step. He is a more effective blocker in-line than he is in space, though. He needs to be more consistent with his technique in space, rather than looking to bury the defender with his initial pop

Toughness 2 Flashes a mean streak. Will make tough catches in traffic. Won't back down from a challenge. Only concern here is with his mental toughness. He tends to turn his motor on and off when he feels like it. He can get lazy and undisciplined at times

Big-Play Potential 4 This is one of the big areas of concern regarding his pro potential. While smooth and fluid for his size, he lacks the speed necessary to consistently stretch the seam as a receiver. Additionally, while he is a tough runner after the catch, he's not going to make many defenders miss in space, nor will he run away from many LB's or DB's in the NFL

Trait Scale

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

you may be right but every site i have gone to has him flagged with bad character issues and you know the bills stance on character plus i dont believe he is the best player that will be available @ #11. we have bigger needs @ center linebacker and de however i am not impressed with the DE's in this draft @ 11.

I don't know if we can really say this anymore as the Bills drafted 2 bad character guys last year in Hardy and Ellis. Also, everybody in the organization knows they must win this year or they could be out of a job. This may cause them to be a little more willing to value talent over character.

This team NEEDS playmakers and game changers. They currently have none on either side of the ball and the only two that would even qualify in the playmaker/game changer mold would be McKelvin as a Kick Returner and Parrish as a Punt Returner. Other than those two players at those positions, the Bills don't have one player that an opponent would say is a playmaker on this team. Plain and Simple. Drafting a TE regardless who he is or what he can do would not qualify as a playmaker or game changer.

It is something that this team has been lacking for quite a while and it's time to get one.

The more I read about Pettigrew the more I like him. What I have been reading about him is that he has been the most dominating blocking TE that they have seen in years. No one stacks up even close to him, and that he is faster in straight line speed then what many people are saying about him. I think he is gonna be better than what many people are anticipating. I prefer the Brown, Orapko, Curry, Raji over him at this point, but after that it is close between him and Mack if one of those aren't available.

The more I read about Pettigrew the more I like him. What I have been reading about him is that he has been the most dominating blocking TE that they have seen in years. No one stacks up even close to him, and that he is faster in straight line speed then what many people are saying about him. I think he is gonna be better than what many people are anticipating. I prefer the Brown, Orapko, Curry, Raji over him at this point, but after that it is close between him and Mack if one of those aren't available.

Interesting note on the speed thing too...going into the draft they said the same thing about Boldin and he fell to the 2nd round...look what a beast he is...

We need a TE with one of our first two picks. Pettigrew I think could be fine but I think Coffman second round could be equally as good as Pettigrew and we could get our DE first round.

The Bills have said over and over again that they only want TEs who can block. Then they've proved they meant it by never picking available speed guys who couldn't block. Coffman can't block.

If we don't get Pettigrew, we aren't likely to pick any of the other TEs posters are calling for. You can disagree with OBD, but I personally would rather deal with the way that things actually are and figure that the Bills will NEVER draft a TE who's not an excellent blocker.

So, this year it's Pettigrew or nobody who can catch.

Neutral before this senior bowl week. Now I thing I like Nelson better if we go TE that high which we should not.

The Bills have said over and over again that they only want TEs who can block. Then they've proved they meant it by never picking available speed guys who couldn't block. Coffman can't block.

If we don't get Pettigrew, we aren't likely to pick any of the other TEs posters are calling for. You can disagree with OBD, but I personally would rather deal with the way that things actually are and figure that the Bills will NEVER draft a TE who's not an excellent blocker.

So, this year it's Pettigrew or nobody who can catch.

Why don't they just say."We never want to pick past 15 in the first round. Those Witten and Clark guys...overrated".

That being said, take Maualuga, Curry, Raji or Cushing if available (In that order).