So do we trade Peters this offseason?

- He would easily command a 1st round pick......from a business sense we would be trading a player that was not even drafted for a 1st round chance at a very good player.......

- He is already crying about his contract.....it is almost a certainty that he is going to hold out

- Honesty Kirk Chambers has made it almost transparent when Peters is not on the field

but

- You never trade franchise left tackles

Hmmmmmm

- He would easily command a 1st round pick......from a business sense we would be trading a player that was not even drafted for a 1st round chance at a very good player.......

- He is already crying about his contract.....it is almost a certainty that he is going to hold out

- Honesty Kirk Chambers has made it almost transparent when Peters is not on the field

but

Hmmmmmm

If you told me we could get a franchise DE for a franchise LT, I would say trade him. Other than that, I think it is a gamble that is too risky to take.

We'd get a 1st round pick beeeeecause

(maybe he is a pretty good player????)

He's crying about his contract beeeeeecause

(maybe it's dumb your LT being the 3rd or 4th highest paid lineman on the team and he's really outplaying his scrub RT contract??????)

Kirk Chambers made it "almost" transparent

really???

No need to be on the fence about Peters ....... either he's worth it or he's not.

IMHO ..... he's a top flight LT in the NFL and should be paid accordingly (and the Bills are not). If he doesn't plead his own case no one else will.

Interesting....

Chambers seemed to play well at LT when Peters was benched for the first game or so. When Peters finally gets in there, he's beaten routinely until he gets into game shape...then he plays up to his standards. If Peters whines about his contract again, someone oughta remind him that if he got himself into camp and into game shape for opening day, he could prove to everyone that he deserved a new contract.

2008 was a lost year for Peters. He only hurt himself with that silly "no contact" holdout.

That said....no, we don't actively seek a trade for Peters. But as bizell says, if someone offers up something outrageously good in our favor, then go for it.

First of all, Kirk Chambers is a backup level lineman at best. Second, this draft will see 6-8 offensive tackles go in the first round, nobody is gonna give up anything even close to a worthwhile offer when they can just draft a guy. Nobody is gonna trade a franchise DE either. Give Peters, Greer, and Jackson new deals and then get more talent here through free agency and the draft. All this trade talk is getting really ridiculous...........

If Peters had one year left on his contract, this idea would have some merit. But since he has two years left the bills really do not have to do anything. Try to workout a long term extension with him, if they can not then f*ck him. Let him playout his contract. No matter what way Mickey tries to spin it, Peters really does not have any leverage here. Let him holdout again. It is just hurting him in the long run.

As tempting as it would be to look for a trade, I say show him the money. When he is game ready, he is one of the few OLT's that doesn't need much help, allowing help to be given on other areas on the line- this is huge

Interesting....

Chambers seemed to play well at LT when Peters was benched for the first game or so. When Peters finally gets in there, he's beaten routinely until he gets into game shape...then he plays up to his standards. If Peters whines about his contract again, someone oughta remind him that if he got himself into camp and into game shape for opening day, he could prove to everyone that he deserved a new contract.

2008 was a lost year for Peters. He only hurt himself with that silly "no contact" holdout.

That said....no, we don't actively seek a trade for Peters. But as bizell says, if someone offers up something outrageously good in our favor, then go for it.

I'd like to agree with you about Peter's "lost year," but unfortunately the players and coaches did not agree with you. Him making a second pro bowl only hurts the bills at the negotiation table, and reinforces the fact to Peters that he would be coveted elsewhere, regardless of how undeserving he was this year.

The thing is, Peters COULD be the best tackle in the league for the next 10 years. COULD is the word that needs to be emphasized here. He still has not been able to stay healthy for a whole season since he's moved to left tackle, and his getting beaten the last 10 games numerous times is a far cry from 2007. He still has had only one good year so far, maybe add another 5-6 games if you're being generous.

And him missing the last game right after making the pro bowl sounds a little fishy to me. Is he really hurt, or is he just acting on his talk that "the reason why you play the game is to go to hawaii" (not the SB)? I don't know if you can question his work ethic, since he made it all the way from a UNFA TE to a pro bowl LT, but maybe somewhere along the way he got too full of himself and is on the glorious path to mike williams irrelevancy. Obviously, I go too far.

The problem here is that by not giving him his contract last year he's going to demand even more money. Last year I remember his jackass agent asking for 11-12-15 mil a year...by far the highest paid lineman money. He'll probably ask for more.

I said on this board a couple days ago that if the bills are really uncertain about Peters, and they are unwilling to mortgage their future of 11 mil a year on the guy, they should go out and get Jordan Gross. The Panthers aren't going to resign him because they have Peppers to deal with and they just spent a 1st rounder on a rising star Otah from Pitt. He's a real solid, athletic and versatile player whose started a lot of games, doesnt get injured, great attitude and just made a pro bowl (yea, I know we just established this doesnt mean much). I almost guarantee that he will go a few million less than Peters a year.

I would only advise this if we can get VERY GOOD return for peters...like more than a high first rounder...hopefully 2 1sts, maybe a package of 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd. But I think this might be a good plan to go for IF and ONLY IF the bills are unwilling to pay peters and can get good value.

Yeah lets trade away some of our best offensive players! I dont care if Kirk Chambers looked decent yesterday, you simply dont trade Jason Peters! You find ways to make him happy. Im tired of this approach! Sign the guy! He had a so so season, but at times he really showed he is a dominate player on the field. KEPP HIM!

Yes. Trade Peters.

There are some on this board that have taken the crusade to rid of us of Peters to Spiked Lemonade levels.

Of course HE is the problem...HE is the reason for the 7-8 record :lol:

no one will offer real value as they can just wait for the holdout and get him cheaply.. just hurts everyone if this goes down in June where we get a crappy draft pick for a top 10 tackle... and if we sign him , he;s missed all the OTAs again, etc. the team promised to work with him and they haven;t .. its the teams move now...

just sign him...

I am for putting guys like Jackson and Parrish on the block- not Peters. Sure, Jackson is very productive, by Lynch is the definite starter- if we can get a quality lineman out of dealing hi, fine. Peters is a stud LT....you don't give that away

but

Hmmmmmm

Sentiment for weeks on this board has been that o-line and d-line must be strong and effective if we are to ever see consistent winning again. You do not trade away the best player on your line. 1st round draft picks are roughly 50/50 gambles and even if they pan out may take a year or two to develop. No way do you trade him unless it is obscene what you get in return. Std DE and a first rounder - maybe you think about it but otherwise no way.

His holdout was stupid and hurt the team but so were the Bills for thinking they could pay top flight LT for upper mid range RT price. The Bills just need to step up and pay him market rates - lock him in for another several years and then focus on other areas of need.

Shopping Peters is the equivalent of the Bills saying they don't want to deal with his salary demands. It further reinforces the small market franchise that can pay some of their own, but not too many.

If Buffalo receives draft picks in a trade, it'll be another step on the stairmaster to mediocrity. I don't see how it builds the team, unless those picks are used well and all of them contribute their rookie season.

Additionally, it will open another position needing an immediate replacement. You don't need a dominant LOT, but it sure helps the QB feel better about his blindside. Peters didn't play outstanding football all of the time, but his presence helps this team, whether it's at 3.25M or 8M.

If he's dealt, I can't see how it helps the team make the playoffs in 2010.

As much as I hate to suggest this - given what happened this off season and his crappy play this season. I think he is a franchise LT and should get paid. Tear up the present contract. Add incentives and workout bonuses as well as performance benchmark bonuses/pay and call it a day.

Also, add contract language for conduct detrimental to team and add reverse escalator clauses for such behavior. In essence a contract within a contract. I don't know why teams don't add language for contracts being non negotiable for within 2 years of expiration.

C

I am for putting guys like Jackson and Parrish on the block- not Peters. Sure, Jackson is very productive, by Lynch is the definite starter- if we can get a quality lineman out of dealing hi, fine. Peters is a stud LT....you don't give that away

You'd go into next year with Xavier Omon as your backup RB??????

Jackson is pure gold for this team. No team would give up a first-rounder for him, and all he does is make plays for us.

JDG

Jason Peters is a two-time Pro Bowl Left Tackle who is just entering his prime. There is no way you trade him for just one pick. You would have to get two first rounders for him to ever consider such a thing.

And you better really like Demetrius Bell if you pull the trigger on that trade...

JDG

Does anybody else think that if the Bills give Peters a monster contract that sets him for life, he's going to turn into a fat lazy mediocre slob?

Cuz I sorta do.

I agree, maybe we should take the picks and let him be someone else's fat lazy slob.

Does anybody else think that if the Bills give Peters a monster contract that sets him for life, he's going to turn into a fat lazy mediocre slob?

Cuz I sorta do.

Yeah ...... probably just like that last fat slob we got rid of ............. Pat Williams :lol:

Interesting views.....

My own opinion is I hope that they quickly get one or the other done.....I dont give up Peters for anything except equal value (if you offer him up in trade or not)

I just dont want to see another holdout like last year.....and right now unless the bills change their stance I see exactly that happening.

Interesting views.....

My own opinion is I hope that they quickly get one or the other done.....I dont give up Peters for anything except equal value (if you offer him up in trade or not)

I just dont want to see another holdout like last year.....and right now unless the bills change their stance I see exactly that happening.

of course Peters will hold out

Brandon promised to re-do his deal this year to get Peters to show up.

it's week 17 and no deal.

it's all but guaranteed Peters won't show up next year until he gets a new deal.

Of course, if we had a real football guy as GM, Peters would have a new deal in January paying him like a pro bowl LT.

But Brandon is in charge and he will use the Peters circus next year to divert attention from the product on the field. Then he will claim the lack of Peters or less than stellar performance was the cause of yet another non-playoff year.

You'd go into next year with Xavier Omon as your backup RB??????

Jackson is pure gold for this team. No team would give up a first-rounder for him, and all he does is make plays for us.

JDG

I don't disagree with you- I said put hom on the block, I didn't say pull the trigger for whatever we can get.

If we could strategically move up or down- either getting one or multiple impact players on the lines, great. If not, keep him. Always have to keep all options open

I vote to trade the overrated "Pro Bowler" known as Jason Peters. I am also willing to take any offers to move Dick Jauron, Turk Schonert and Perry Fewell as a package deal. I think our Defensive system sucks. We can not stop anyone in crunch time and have only beaten teams that quite frankly are worse off then we are -- including Denver.

On a related note, since we are now the AFC West Champions (4-0), I also vote to trade divisions from the East to the West. I believe this would finally put an end to our playoff drought and make us perennial division contenders.

I think Peters is an ass and I find it hard to root for him anymore. I used to like the guy and remember checking out the pics of him riding in the back of Thailog's vette during whatever parade they have during training camp. What was there not to like about his story, or about him? Nothing. He changed positions, excelled, became two time Pro Bowler, and somewhere along the way he also became an ass. Goodbye.

All that being said, I think the ideal trade is for Detroit's 2nd rounder. Three picks in the top-45 in this draft class would be sweet.

Do not trade Peters unless you are getting proven talent of GREATER value. Which isn't going to happen.

The Bills haven't helped themselves by hitting the reset button on positions. Trading Peerless Price for a #1 looked great until the Bills offense imploded without him the next season. Letting Pat Williams go, set the franchise back 3 full years on defense. Losing Clements killed the pass defense and lead to the use of a #1 pick to replace him. Cutting Milloy lead to using a #1 on Whitner, and 3 years later Milloy is outplaying Whitner. Losing Fletcher lead to using a #2 on Poz, and two years later Fletcher is still the better player and his knack for making plays is missed. The list goes on. The Bills need to start stacking talent instead of trying to win in spite of a lack of it.

Re-sign Greer, avoid drafting a CB early for the next 5 years. Stop letting good players walk or trading them for a hope and a prayer 2 years down the road.

I think Peters is an ass and I find it hard to root for him anymore. I used to like the guy and remember checking out the pics of him riding in the back of Thailog's vette during whatever parade they have during training camp. What was there not to like about his story, or about him? Nothing. He changed positions, excelled, became two time Pro Bowler, and somewhere along the way he also became an ass. Goodbye.

All that being said, I think the ideal trade is for Detroit's 2nd rounder. Three picks in the top-45 in this draft class would be sweet.

If you can root for Beast Mode after his hit and run fiasco, then you would be able to root for Peters when he is back to his 2007 form next year. Trading him for a second rounder would be ridiculous.

Jason Peters is a two-time Pro Bowl Left Tackle who is just entering his prime. There is no way you trade him for just one pick. You would have to get two first rounders for him to ever consider such a thing.

And you better really like Demetrius Bell if you pull the trigger on that trade...

JDG

He's only two-time because everyone is voting on how he played last year. He did not have that great of a season this year after his hold-out. He never played up to his potential this year.

If you can root for Beast Mode after his hit and run fiasco, then you would be able to root for Peters when he is back to his 2007 form next year. Trading him for a second rounder would be ridiculous.

Makes sense. I can do without the 2008 mode, especially the holdout part. The holdout did hurt the entire offense as Peters looked like a turnstile at times. The offensive line has played better the last two games.

I really think a real pass rushing threat is the biggest team need. A better rush could mean more sacks, interceptions, three and outs and opportunities for the offense.

BADOLBILZ also had some good points about past departures.

Re-sign Greer, avoid drafting a CB early for the next 5 years. Stop letting good players walk or trading them for a hope and a prayer 2 years down the road.

BADOL-what do you think of Buffalo's CB's at this point? I agree that they shouldn't have a need to draft a CB for at least five years, but I've got to believe re-upping Greer will be costly. With McGee up after 09, 11th pick money to McKelvin along with Youboty and Corner, that's a lot of resources allocated for just CB's.

I wouldn't mind seeing Greer franchised with the intent to trade him. I suspect he'd garner a 3rd rounder, especially to a team like CLE (albeit with probably a new GM) who sorely needs CB help.

He's only two-time because everyone is voting on how he played last year. He did not have that great of a season this year after his hold-out. He never played up to his potential this year.

OK so your assesment of his play does not agree with the players and coaches who voted him in ..... I'll give you that point.

I'm interested in where you feel his level of play IS ........

you've already said he is not #1

would you put him in the top 5???

top 10???

middle of the pack???

bottom dweller???

How do you define .... "not that great of a season"