Kelsay should not be on the roster next year and I saw Ellis!

LabattBlue

Considering his salary, Kelsay should be off the team next year. Not benched...OFF THE TEAM! Don't tell me about the two times he actually made a tackle yesterday. He is a joke of a player. Wasn't it Kelsay who was chasing after Thigpen while Johnson was running in a lane where Kelsay should have been, on his way to a 60+ yard gain? When he isn't taking himself out of position, he is getting locked up in a big way by whatever tackle he faces, good or bad. On the rare occasion, that Kelsay does get a shot at the QB, even QB's with little mobility can find a way to make him miss. Denney I can live with since the Bills aren't paying him a ton of money, but Kelsay is a joke and so are the Bills for giving him the contract he has.

Just one quick note on Ellis and why he may not be playing. There was a play yesterday(it may have been one of McKelvin's interceptions), where the RT knocked Ellis to the ground with what amounted to a straight arm to the shoulder. I mean send him flying backward right on his ass. Hopefully Ellis hits the weight room in the offseason and improves on his techniques.

Ellis just looks really small for a DE. His frame reminds me more of a tight end. I completely agree on Kelsay. He always had more luck when Schobel was drawing double teams but now that he actually has to beat right tackles and tight ends all by himself, he is just lost out there. The man's style of play is allowing himself to get pushed 10 yards into the backfield, before trying to recover but never ever reaching the QB. I've seen him get completely taken out of plays by running backs.

Ellis is weak. He only boasted a 350 lb. bench at Va Tech which is pretty poor for a 260 pound DE. By the time he gets strong enough, he'll be set to become a free agent. DE needs to be 1a or 1b priority along with center this offseason, followed closely by LB.

Considering his salary, Kelsay should be off the team next year. Not benched...OFF THE TEAM! Don't tell me about the two times he actually made a tackle yesterday. He is a joke of a player. Wasn't it Kelsay who was chasing after Thigpen while Johnson was running in a lane where Kelsay should have been, on his way to a 60+ yard gain? When he isn't taking himself out of position, he is getting locked up in a big way by whatever tackle he faces, good or bad. On the rare occasion, that Kelsay does get a shot at the QB, even QB's with little mobility can find a way to make him miss. Denney I can live with since the Bills aren't paying him a ton of money, but Kelsay is a joke and so are the Bills for giving him the contract he has.

Just one quick note on Ellis and why he may not be playing. There was a play yesterday(it may have been one of McKelvin's interceptions), where the RT knocked Ellis to the ground with what amounted to a straight arm to the shoulder. I mean send him flying backward right on his ass. Hopefully Ellis hits the weight room in the offseason and improves on his techniques.

if your comparing Ellis to kelsey @ this time your insane. in regards to ellis talk to me in 2 years if he makes it at all. coming out in the draft all the talk was about his heart and passion about the game so quit going there with this guy like he is going to be some great player.

I'd rather have a player of lesser talent but with extreme passion and heart then a super talented guy who does not care anyone remember mike williams?

by the way the bills will not be cutting kelsey,they may cut denny if they find a young talented DE either in the draft or free agency.

people can complain about it all they want, but kelsay will be a bill in '09........he's a good locker room guy who brings it all on sunday........is he the most talented player? nope, but he does his job and works hard..........yes, he was a big part of the long LJ run yesterday, but that is one play and he was far from the only one out of position - why aren't you pointing the finger at them?.........and i don't see how any evaluation of his game yesterday ignores the two tackles he made FOR LOSS

people can complain about it all they want, but kelsay will be a bill in '09........he's a good locker room guy who brings it all on sunday........is he the most talented player? nope, but he does his job and works hard..........yes, he was a big part of the long LJ run yesterday, but that is one play and he was far from the only one out of position - why aren't you pointing the finger at them?.........and i don't see how any evaluation of his game yesterday ignores the two tackles he made FOR LOSS

So he is a good locker room guy, who brings it all, does his job and works hard...and how does this equate to being a starting DE in the NFL? :o

PS The two plays he made were the exception not the rule for Kelsay and do these two plays make up for the fact that he is bringing NOTHING to the pass rush at a time when the Bills could really use some help in that regard(and no he is not being double teamed, so don't even bring that excuse to the table ;) ).

I'll go out on a limb and say that if Kelsay is still starting on this team next year, it'll be the same deal as this year...8 or 9 wins, and we'll miss a playoff berth in some ridiculously heartbreaking way. Without a rush, our defense just won't be good enough for this team to get to the next level.

DE should be priority numero uno this offseason, followed closely by center. Nothing is more important than finding a way to get a pass rush without blitzing. If we can do that, the Cover 2 will work wonders with the secondary we've assembled.

So he is a good locker room guy, who brings it all, does his job and works hard...and how does this equate to being a starting DE in the NFL? :o

PS The two plays he made were the exception not the rule for Kelsay and do these two plays make up for the fact that he is bringing NOTHING to the pass rush at a time when the Bills could really use some help in that regard(and no he is not being double teamed, so don't even bring that excuse to the table ;) ).

because the bills think those qualities are important and, at the end of the day, there opinion means a lot more then you

so whether you like it or not isn't really the question here - it's what the bills like, and they have proven they like kelsay.......no question in my mind he'll be back in '09

Remaining contract lengths for our overrated Donahoe DE's:

Schobel: 5 years left after this season

Kelsay: 2 years left after this season

Denney: 1 year left after this season

I don't think any of these three will ever get traded or cut, but I'm pretty sure all of them have signed their last contracts with the Bills organization.

Thanks for clearing that up Captain Obvious! All this time posting here, I thought my opinion really mattered to the powers that be at OBD. ;)

well you asked why those qualities matter and i told ya :o

so if you want to keep throwing out the meaningless softballs i'll keep knocking them around, but you're kinda wasting your time........doesn't matter how much you or anyone else complains about kelsay, he's going to be a bill in '09

I think Denney should be cut loose. Trade Schobel in a package deal in order to move up high in the 1st round to draft an impact DE.

Are there any good DE's coming up in free agency in the offseason?

Why trade Schobel ? He performs well but he is the only good DE on our team. We absolutely need a top-flight DE to complement him which will make AS much better.

If it was the RT for KC, MacIntosh, then that's even worse for Ellis. If anyone remembers MacIntosh, he's the fat journeyman who KC has had to go with this season. He's horrible, and if Ellis can't play well against him that's bad.

Ellis may not be ready, and even Kelsay is better. He needs a lot of work in the offseason.

That's what happens when you allow a naked bootleg the prior week.

He's not a pass rush guy. Never has been. On the other hand, the LDE usually is more of a run-stopper and less of a pass-rusher, though it would be nice if our guys were both. But you don't cut a guy unless you can replace him with someone who's at least nearly as good. And we can't.

if your comparing Ellis to kelsey @ this time your insane. in regards to ellis talk to me in 2 years if he makes it at all. coming out in the draft all the talk was about his heart and passion about the game so quit going there with this guy like he is going to be some great player.

I'd rather have a player of lesser talent but with extreme passion and heart then a super talented guy who does not care anyone remember mike williams?

by the way the bills will not be cutting kelsey,they may cut denny if they find a young talented DE either in the draft or free agency.

I watched Kelsay carefully last week against Cleveland. He made No plays, whiffed on some and was suckered into several endarounds (reverses). He is a mindless, untalented unplayer and we need his cap money to get a real DE.

Cut him whether Ellis is any good or not. Denny, on the other hand, at least has the eight to knock down passes and is a better RDE because he can tackle and is smarter than no-mind, no-body KElsay.

He's not a pass rush guy. Never has been. On the other hand, the LDE usually is more of a run-stopper and less of a pass-rusher, though it would be nice if our guys were both. But you don't cut a guy unless you can replace him with someone who's at least nearly as good. And we can't.

We will never be a serious contender until we get a pass rush. I find amazement in the Giants losing Strahan and Umenyiora and still having an excellent pass rush. There's gotta be someone on that d-line who they won't be able to re-sign or who they'll trade when Umenyiora comes back next year.

Our defensive ends have no quickness. Kelsay is alright as a 4th defensive end. 1st round pick at DE who can contribute immediately (trade up if need be) is a must and add another in free agency.

Why trade Schobel ? He performs well but he is the only good DE on our team. We absolutely need a top-flight DE to complement him which will make AS much better.

Schobel had 5 or 6 sacks last year, and didn't do much this year when he was healthy. For a guy that makes $7 million a year, you expect a hell of a lot more in return.

I don't know why Schobel hasn't been placed on IR? Any word on his injury? Is he's close to coming back?

My point on Schobel is we're shelling out a ton of money to him, one- he hasn't earned it, I thought he was overpaid when given the contract extension (I'm not saying he's a bad player, but not worth the $49 million contract he got), two- he possibly is damaged goods with his inury.

Remaining contract lengths for our overrated Donahoe DE's:

Schobel: 5 years left after this season

Kelsay: 2 years left after this season

Denney: 1 year left after this season

I don't think any of these three will ever get traded or cut, but I'm pretty sure all of them have signed their last contracts with the Bills organization.

I thought at the time they were signed the thought was we have decent players and too many other holes on this team to address DE at the time, sign them so we can concentrate in weaker areas. I think Ellis is an attempt to address these two upcoming holes and I hope a 1st day pick this year will help as well. Adding a pass rushing RDE will go a long way to making this D work well.

It sucks that McCargo can't get his head out of his bum because it would be nice to try Spencer Johnson on the edge.

I thought at the time they were signed the thought was we have decent players and too many other holes on this team to address DE at the time, sign them so we can concentrate in weaker areas. I think Ellis is an attempt to address these two upcoming holes and I hope a 1st day pick this year will help as well. Adding a pass rushing RDE will go a long way to making this D work well.

It sucks that McCargo can't get his head out of his bum because it would be nice to try Spencer Johnson on the edge.

Good post!

Wide right- Kelsay is wide left!!

He is never near the QB. God I hate watching that pathetic DE pass rush. :o

Wide right- Kelsay is wide left!!

He is never near the QB. God I hate watching that pathetic DE pass rush. :o

one thing I do love watching is: Kelsay's awe-inspiring spin move. He usually does the spin move to where he ends up away from the quarterback or right to where the OT is going to be. Just awesome.

Not in a Cover 2 defense... 3-4 maybe, but I don't think he is that fast either

Actually, from what I read about him back before he was drafted, he has 4.56 speed and some scouts projected him as a strong-side backer in a 3-4. I saw him play for Virginia Tech and was very excited to see him become a Bill. My biased view has me still thinking he can really breakout next season as a solid edge rusher.

Actually, from what I read about him back before he was drafted, he has 4.56 speed and some scouts projected him as a strong-side backer in a 3-4. I saw him play for Virginia Tech and was very excited to see him become a Bill. My biased view has me still thinking he can really breakout next season as a solid edge rusher.

Don't recall his speed being that quick. I'll have to look into it again. thought I was reading more in the 4.8 range

I think Denney should be cut loose. Trade Schobel in a package deal in order to move up high in the 1st round to draft an impact DE.

Are there any good DE's coming up in free agency in the offseason?

I wouldn't mind a Julius Peppers on our team but that would never happen. And I'm not too fond of any of our DE's. Our best bet would just be to cut Kelsay.

When Kelsay made that play yesterday, I said " Kelsay actually made a play!". It was THAT unusual. He's a good guy, but a very weak D.E. He ALWAYS takes the wayyy round about route on his "pass rush", and he is run over at will by every other team. He is just not NFL caliber. Period. He is not helping this Team in any way.

Ellis ran a 4.76.

I wouldn't mind a Julius Peppers on our team but that would never happen. And I'm not too fond of any of our DE's. Our best bet would just be to cut Kelsay.

Peppers would be a great addition to our team. I think Denney & Kelsay should be cut loose after the season.

well you asked why those qualities matter and i told ya <_<

so if you want to keep throwing out the meaningless softballs i'll keep knocking them around, but you're kinda wasting your time........doesn't matter how much you or anyone else complains about kelsay, he's going to be a bill in '09

How do you criticize Labatt for making some observations about Kelsay just because he doesn't get his mail at OBD, then go right ahead and set it in stone that Kelsay will be back next year? He very well may not be if Brandon and Co. are seeing the same things we are from him this season. Seems pretty hypocritical to me....

Ellis is weak. He only boasted a 350 lb. bench at Va Tech which is pretty poor for a 260 pound DE. By the time he gets strong enough, he'll be set to become a free agent. DE needs to be 1a or 1b priority along with center this offseason, followed closely by LB.

Ellis does look small at DE. We need a DE and a DT, and most definitely an OLB to replace Ellison who is slow and small and makes no plays at all. Our secondary is set-although I would like the FS spot to be up for grabs as Simpson still makes very few plays and looks slow in coverage. On Offense we need a C, and another WR or TE to help Trent out. If we get 5 bigtime players and TE takes it to the next level, we will be set as a contender.

Yet another genius move by Marv, the outmatched GM.

Overpaying for Kelsay.