A Few Thoughts About The Game.....

The clock no longer stops on OB plays until the last 5:00 of the game. On the play you're referring to there was about 4:50 left when Marshawn ran OB so he probably didn't even realize they'd gone under the 5:00 mark.

That being said, yes he should have stayed in and he should have delivered a blow while doing it.

I was pretty upset with Marshawn for not staying in bounds on two carries in a row. You take the risk of decapitation around here if you bring up something negative after a win, but since it did come up, I think the coaching staff obviously needs to address this issue with ML.

As for the side-stepping that some have mentioned, I see it more as Marshawn just looking for holes that aren't there. That East-West movement, IMO, is not a "tendency" problem for Marshawn. It's just that there are no holes for him to hit. O-line's fault, not ML.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to a point, but look at the patsies. It is impossible for them to play as well without Brady, and it even effects both sides of the ball imo.

That said, I am going to bow out of this. I don't want to talk about JP, other than to say that I hope that he can produce if this team needs him. :beer:

I don't think the Pats* are a great team, any longer. This year speaks to that, IMO. But, looking at the Bills' last game, the O Line had already failed and contributed to getting their starting QB injured. Still, they were only trailing by 7 points in the 3rd quarter. If that isn't enough of an incentive to get the team fired up, there is an issue with the team.

Honestly, I think they get beat in that game no matter who is at QB: Trent, Brett, Bart, Joe Willy, Peyton or Jim K. But, if you think the team would have won that game, because they would have somehow become a different team (defense especially) with a different QB, you are essentially questioning the character of the team, IMO. This isn't directed at you Bill, as I believe you even said that JP wasn't the major factor in the Bills losing to Arizona.

I don't think the Pats* are a great team, any longer. This year speaks to that, IMO. But, looking at the Bills' last game, the O Line had already failed and contributed to getting their starting QB injured. Still, they were only trailing by 7 points in the 3rd quarter. If that isn't enough of an incentive to get the team fired up, there is an issue with the team.

Honestly, I think they get beat in that game no matter who is at QB: Trent, Brett, Bart, Joe Willy, Peyton or Jim K. But, if you think the team would have won that game, because they would have somehow become a different team (defense especially) with a different QB, you are essentially questioning the character of the team, IMO. This isn't directed at you Bill, as I believe you even said that JP wasn't the major factor in the Bills losing to Arizona.

Hey Dean let it go...You wont change anyone mind on that game, thats set on blaming it on JP...It aint gonna happen...

Lets just be happy we got our QB of the future right now in Trent Edwards....

That's the second swipe at McKelvin in this thread. Other than the one TD pass, where he was clearly beaten, I can't find any major flaws in his game today. Can you tell me where he disappointed you?

Here's the play-by-play, if you need help:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...p;override=true

Dean: I certainly don't think McKelvin is a poor player. In fact, I'm very optimistic. It's just that after watching football all my life, I can say with some certainty that rookie CBs are as likely to be exploited as the sun rising in the a.m. It's just a tough position to learn. Both TDs came against him, and the three other throws into the endzone (the offensive PI play, the coverage incompletion against Gates before the TD to Jackson, and the INT when the coverage on Gates (not by Mitchell) was blanket like) were against people not named Leodis McKelvin. I think the proper thing to do is tip our hats to the guys covering and accept that a rookie CB is going to struggle.

Hey Dean let it go...You wont change anyone mind on that game, thats set on blaming it on JP...It aint gonna happen...

Oh, I am, YOOOOOO, I am.

Dean: I certainly don't think McKelvin is a poor player. In fact, I'm very optimistic. It's just that after watching football all my life, I can say with some certainty that rookie CBs are as likely to be exploited as the sun rising in the a.m. It's just a tough position to learn. Both TDs came against him, and the three other throws into the endzone (the offensive PI play, the coverage incompletion against Gates before the TD to Jackson, and the INT when the coverage on Gates (not by Mitchell) was blanket like) were against people not named Leodis McKelvin. I think the proper thing to do is tip our hats to the guys covering and accept that a rookie CB is going to struggle.

Agreed. But, that he didn't get chewed up (on the 2nd TD he had very good coverage) today should be a positive sign for him, and the team.

If he stunk out there at CB, he would have been torn apart by SD. The D, overall (including the DBs) played quite well, today, That they did it with Leodis starting at CB, and without Youboty is cause for celebration...not for trashing the rookie.

I have stayed out of this little debate, but that is a reach and a half Brian.

Taken out of context, that sentence is a reach, I agree. But, I think my entire post speaks for itself. If the rest of the team plays poorer (O line blocks worse, WR don't run routes as well, D plays less agressive, etc) because of a change in the starting QB, or any player, it speaks poorly of the team. GREAT teams actually step up and play better, when one of their best is out.

Regardless of the 'Everyone gets a golden star' attitude you're taking, Dean, I'll ask.... You're saying it's never possible to have a time when a great team can be dragged down by one poor performer (and, at such a key position)?

All I know is, I watched the game last week and thought to myself, especially late in the game, "I've seen this movie before." Three-and-outs, sacks, fumbles.... In a football game, each play is built on the foundation of the plays that came before. There's something that happens when JP steps into that huddle that he's looking to play his game, which is long-ball to Lee first, anything else............ second. Far be it from me to second-guess the coaching staff that's playing the guy they're stuck with, but JP is not a good fit for this offense.

Trent comes in today with virtually the same roster (actually, a weaker defense/ST) and manages the game, doesn't make stupid mistakes, and keeps their offense off the field. It's a completely different style of play that impacts everything else that's happening and that the team is able to thrive in.

Regardless of the 'Everyone gets a golden star' attitude you're taking, Dean, I'll ask.... You're saying it's never possible to have a time when a great team can be dragged down by one poor performer (and, at such a key position)?

All I know is, I watched the game last week and thought to myself, especially late in the game, "I've seen this movie before." Three-and-outs, sacks, fumbles....

By that time, the game was all but decided. The D failed to step up and stop Arizona when they were fresh, after the Bills scored...the entire game, basically. I'm certainly not defending JP's play the last quarter and 1/2 of that game. I am simply pointing out the fact that the D didn't just start failing then...they failed the entire game. The O Line didn't start failing when JP came in...they are part of the reason JP was even in the game.

Let's not rehash the Arizona game. This is a time to celebrate. Trent played great, as did the rest of the team. (Sure it wasn't a perfect game, and as rabid fans we tend to point out the mistakes that could have been avoided, even though the team won...no problem, IMO.) To bring up JP's play from last week (which was a mixed bag, to be sure) after a game like this, and try to make it somehow relevant to today's team performance is just crazy, IMO.

I still can't believe there are people trying to run Lynch out of the starting slot. :beer:

Trent comes in today with virtually the same roster (actually, a weaker defense/ST) and manages the game, doesn't make stupid mistakes, and keeps their offense off the field. It's a completely different style of play that impacts everything else that's happening and that the team is able to thrive in.

I would give this much more credence if the defense had started strong (or even mediocre) last week and had gotten worn down by the inability of the offense to stay on the field. But given the way the game last week unfolded this really looks to me like a case of making the game fit a preconceived storyline vs. actually fitting the facts.

JP was not great last week. But this continued focus on his play vs. Edwards as if QB play was the determining factor in the outcome against Arizona IMO ignores the facts, and to argue that the play of the quarterback was the only difference between last week and this week is simply inaccurate.

Is Edwards better than Losman? Absolutely, and moreover he seems to be improving every week while JP still has the same mix of up-and-down plays that have defined his career. But I don't think anyone should overlook the improved play of the team as a whole in order to make an argument about the QBs.

I would give this much more credence if the defense had started strong (or even mediocre) last week and had gotten worn down by the inability of the offense to stay on the field. But given the way the game last week unfolded this really looks to me like a case of making the game fit a preconceived storyline vs. actually fitting the facts.

JP was not great last week. But this continued focus on his play vs. Edwards as if QB play was the determining factor in the outcome against Arizona IMO ignores the facts, and to argue that the play of the quarterback was the only difference between last week and this week is simply inaccurate.

Is Edwards better than Losman? Absolutely, and moreover he seems to be improving every week while JP still has the same mix of up-and-down plays that have defined his career. But I don't think anyone should overlook the improved play of the team as a whole in order to make an argument about the QBs.

Said it better than I did. Bravo

According to the NFL play-by-play, Lynch was pushed out of bounds:

I don't really remember the play, though.

By my watch of the play, it looked like it was designed to be an off-tackle type play that Lynch bounced to the outside. Yes, Lynch was pushed out of bounds. However, a slight difference between a great runner and a very good runner, is that in that situation a great runner makes sure to go down in bounds and keep that clock running.

As for the 3rd and 1 @ 10:19 of the 4th quarter, I agree that Lynch probably makes that 1st down. I won't bash Jauron/Turk for that call (and don't think you did, either), but I was surprised when Jackson got that the ball on that play.

It certainly was a completely defensible call, although for all of Fred Jackson's numerous abilities, I have not been impressed by his ability to make tough carries in "logjam" type situations like 3rd-and-short. I personally thought that this was a great opportunity to throw a pass (which would surely have gotten Jauron excoriated around here had that failed). The Bills had just taken a 6 point lead, and then stopped the Chargers. I really thought this was a drive to take control of the game - the Bills have not generated good running game push all season, and had not done so today. My second choice would have been to give it to Lynch for a tough yard, and my third choice would have been to give it to Jackson on a toss or stretch type play. Giving it to Jackson for a tough yard would have been my fourth option in that situation, albeit still a defensible one.

The clock no longer stops on OB plays until the last 5:00 of the game. On the play you're referring to there was about 4:50 left when Marshawn ran OB so he probably didn't even realize they'd gone under the 5:00 mark.

That being said, yes he should have stayed in and he should have delivered a blow while doing it.

The ball was snapped at 4:57. Again, a great running back needs to know the situation, and how to help his team with little details. That's part of the reason why they study film all week. The Bills had just run down the play clock from the previous play, so Lynch should have known what was going on.

JDG

The ball was snapped at 4:57. Again, a great running back needs to know the situation, and how to help his team with little details. That's part of the reason why they study film all week. The Bills had just run down the play clock from the previous play, so Lynch should have known what was going on.

JDG

Were the visible clocks even working? According to an interview after the game, Trent said they were playing without a clock, on the field.

1) Forget stats. I don't remember seeing Marshawn Lynch play a better, more complete game. He picked up blitzes, and was as clutch as a m.f.!!! :censored:

If people did this more often and stopped looking at meaningless stats they would have realized Willis was a bum long before he was traded, that Trent was/is 10X the QB that JP is, and that Marshawn has been superb this season (forget his YPC people).

of course, the jags would be a winning team if we lost to them...

Likewise with SD. I think with every win, the reasons to explain away the Bills' success is fading. Beating the Rams and Raiders was no small feat considering the enthusiasm they played with against us. In the chat room, I started the top five reasons the Bills won and they are something like:

(1) SD is a West coast team traveling to an East coast time zone

(2) Chargers were without a Chambers

(3) They were having a letdown after a big game last week/ looking forward to London/ ware in a trap game

(4) Their defense is not at full strength without Merriman

(5) The power outage in addition to the above four items played havoc with their play calling ability

Any I missed ?

TE > JP ?? -thats a bold statement

Holy crap, lets get to the playoffs before comparing a second year player to the 7th first ballot hall of fame quarterback ever. Come on. I think Trent is a breath of fresh air after the compost that has circulated through the QB position since Jimbo but I guess "potential" is the operative word here. Plus, Jimbo did so much more for the city of Buffalo than just play QB for the Bills. I'm very happy with Trent's development so far and think we are in good shape for the future if he can stay healthy.

I just want to see him break a cornerback's leg after he throws a pick like Jimbo did :censored:

RTB

1. Kelly had a far far better supporting cast.

2. I'm not convinced Kelly did more for the city of Buffalo, In fact at first he made it clear it was the last place he wanted to play. And even as a multi-millionare he stiffed a bunch of local suppliers when his downtown bar failed, that's pretty low.

3. Edwards might win a superbowl, I see it coming.

By that time, the game was all but decided. The D failed to step up and stop Arizona when they were fresh, after the Bills scored...the entire game, basically. I'm certainly not defending JP's play the last quarter and 1/2 of that game. I am simply pointing out the fact that the D didn't just start failing then...they failed the entire game. The O Line didn't start failing when JP came in...they are part of the reason JP was even in the game.

You and I haven't always agreed on everything, but I'm with you on this one. The Cardinals played well enough that the Bills would have needed a complete team to have won that game. We were, as you point out, an offensive line and a defense short of having a complete team. And considering that the offensive line had played like chopped liver in the first 2 - 3 quarters of the previous several contests, it's reasonable to suppose it would have continued to play like chopped liver in the Cardinals contest, regardless of who we had back there at QB.

[Tangent] Obviously they managed to get a lot of their pass protection problems straightened out over the bye. The Preston upgrade over Fowler clearly helped.[/Tangent]

To address your other point, I agree with you that a Losman-related discussion is off-topic for this thread. It could distract from some of the other things we should be talking about here, such as Duke Preston. Should the Bills start him the rest of the year? I believe they should . . . Fowler has done nothing to earn a starting position, and it would be nice to know what we have or don't have in Preston. I firmly believe Preston played better today than Fowler would have, had he been starting.

McKelvin got burned on the first TD. The second TD he had fine coverage...it was just a perfect throw.

Given that he wasn't chewed up today, I will assume he played a decent game, for a rookie CB. From what I was able to see, he was fine.

Not to mention there was zero pressure on what looked like a 6man rush?

Marshawn apparently rolled his ankle in the drive previous and they went with Jackson as a precautionary measure and because he is a very capable back himself.

As for the "run out of bounds", the clock kept moving so no harm no foul.

Or are we now onto running Marshawn out of town now? Can't we as fans just be f#cking happy that we're 5 and 1 and not be b!tching about a guy who our own coach says "has the most heart he's ever seen in a player"?

F#CK.

You really don't think anyone can have a problem w/ him running out of bounds when we're trying to run out the clock without "trying to run him out of town"? Really?

Were the visible clocks even working? According to an interview after the game, Trent said they were playing without a clock, on the field.

In my mind it doesn't matter. The Bills had already established that they were in "run the clock" mode (even if you couldn't figure it out on your own) by running down the playclock the play before. Once you get in "run the clock" mode, as a RB, you should be thinking "stay in bounds." There is no way you should be thinking, "oh, we started 'run the clock mode' with more than five minutes left in the half, so the clock will keep running even if I go out of bounds.

JDG

Not to mention there was zero pressure on what looked like a 6man rush?

That was a horrible blitz down, imo. I like Fewell but I was cussing him like a sailor when he sent the crew at the snap.

And I'm not sure why I've seen several comments about how good McKelvin's coverage was on that play. I thought he was confused and tentative, that he took at last one bad false step, and he relinquished the inside waaayyyyy too easy on a down where he knew interior support was not forthcoming.

He should have shaded the inside shoulder, established underneath position and forced Rivers to make a very difficult throw under duress. My uneducated guess is that's how he was coached to play that blitz and just made a nervous rookie mistake on a huge down.

This. As someone who was ridiculed for being a "JP basher" last year, I can't believe people are blaming the Cards loss on him. Hell if he played that well last year he wouldn't have lost his job.

I will say that my favorite Trent play today was the ~15 yard slant to Reed on the last FG drive. He wasn't even that open, but the QB just makes it look so routine; when in years past our QB would've held on to the ball another 1-2 seconds causing everyone to whine about our OL not protecting well enough, the playcalling, and everything else under the sun except the guy delivering the mail.

No one's said much about Fred Jackson's block on "physical" CB Quentin Jammer. The definition of pancake.

On blitzing, it should be noted that the Bills relented. I've always thought DJ to be very stubborm, but they're admitting some things by changin since last game. Granted they blitzed Rivers on at least one questionable down, but at least the coaches understand that with or without Schobel they've got to change things up. Their DL cannot generate a pass rush on its own.

Anyone who wants to say Lee Evans isn't worth the money is being obtuse. In camp he was repeatedly getting open. That hasn't changed in the regular season. Some need to face reality and admit the cost of doing business at every position is going up. Without LE, this offense isn't nearly as successful. 24 receptions, 521 yards, and 3 TD through 6 games.

Lastly, when the Bills get turnovers, their C2 works. When they don't, it can be ugly. Mitchell's INT takes away everything and it turns into 3 points, in addition to a huge momentum shift.

That was a horrible blitz down, imo. I like Fewell but I was cussing him like a sailor when he sent the crew at the snap.

And I'm not sure why I've seen several comments about how good McKelvin's coverage was on that play. I thought he was confused and tentative, that he took at last one bad false step, and he relinquished the inside waaayyyyy too easy on a down where he knew interior support was not forthcoming.

He should have shaded the inside shoulder, established underneath position and forced Rivers to make a very difficult throw under duress. My uneducated guess is that's how he was coached to play that blitz and just made a nervous rookie mistake on a huge down.

I thought Whitner's positioning was very strange on that play. At the snap he started to move up - then hesitated, like he was going on a delayed blitz - then he kind of backed off, but just a little bit - kind of putting him in a no man's land.

7) Did Jason Peters play well? No, he was flat out dominant. He was crushing, I mean destroying m.f.s, and going upfield to hit someone else. It was truly a thing of beauty to watch. Good for you kid!!!!! :censored:

Uh......are you sure you weren't watching the Steelers game? :unsure:

In my mind it doesn't matter. The Bills had already established that they were in "run the clock" mode (even if you couldn't figure it out on your own) by running down the playclock the play before. Once you get in "run the clock" mode, as a RB, you should be thinking "stay in bounds." There is no way you should be thinking, "oh, we started 'run the clock mode' with more than five minutes left in the half, so the clock will keep running even if I go out of bounds.

JDG

I don't disagree. I wish I could remember the play, as I usually scream at the TV in those situations. But, I was simply wondering if there was a clock on the field, that would have served as a reminder, to all the players.

I saw exactly what you think you saw. He looked awkward in the coverage, but, in the end he had pretty tight coverage on Jackson. Now, you mention that had he not let Jackson take the inside, Rivers would have had to make a different (more difficult? maybe) throw. Given that Rivers was basically sipping tea, in the face of a failed blitz, I assume he throws that 12 yard pass where it needs to be, in that play. I'm not going to bash a rookie (or even a vet) CB on that play.

There certainly may be something to that, but let's not forget that the team didn't play well for Trent when it let him get bashed to the ground, against Arizona. of course, part of that was Trent's fault, as he decided to take that hit, instead of dumping the ball earlier. (I admire a guy who takes that hit, but he does the team no good from the locker room.)

I have to slightly quibble with this. Its probably not fair to blame the "team" for the Adrian Wilson hit. At worst, it was a matter of 1, maybe 2 players missing their blocking assignment on a single play. I'd argue that Hardy (a member of the team) played pretty well on that play.

Great teams actually step up, when one of their leaders, and best players gets hurt. If it's true that the Bills don't play well with JP under center, it speaks more to the character of the team, than to JP, IMO. If this team is going to make it to the first tier of NFL teams, they will need to play strong and hard regardless of who is at QB, or RB, or CB, etc.

Up on the TBD website there is an article that has some extended quotes from Donte Whitner on this subject.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11047927

The relevant nuggets are:

"I'm very confident in Trent. In the past it was tough because you didn't know exactly what you were going to get from the offense. You didn't know if you were going to get points, so you almost had to play perfect on the defense side of the ball. And once you try to play perfect, you make mistakes.

"So with Trent out there I don't have any worries at all. I sit on the bench, drink a little water, a little Gatorade and I glance over at the scoreboard. We need him out there.

Trent Edwards then added this nugget:

So we're not pressing, and we're not forcing things that don't need to be forced. But that has a lot to do with the way our defense is playing.

I think Trent's comment is true the other way around as well. When the offense is playing well, the defense may not press as much - and that may produce better results. I think that's only human - and I disagree that its a character flaw in the team.

With that being said, Whitner added this little firstarter:

I felt like if we had him for the entire game against Arizona we might be sitting here talking about a 6-0 football team instead of 5-1. I really believe that.

My own assessment is that while Trent Edwards would have helped during Arizona (I think he would have avoided at least one of those two strip-sacks if nothing else), the way our defense and running game played in that game, the net effect would have been to just make the score a little closer. If Kurt Warner got his hands on the ball with a chance to win in that game, you just had the sense that he would have made it happen on that day against that day's Bills defense - pressing or not pressing.

JDG

10) We deserve this kind of elation folks. We can bicker away, but we are in this together and right now, it is looking :censored: ing good. Let's keep it going! :lol:

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yes We deserve this!!!!

I can't get rid of this smile...

VERY Nice...

GO BILLS!!! :unsure:

Scoreboard/clocks came back on for good early in the second half.

A few more thoughts:

- Not sure how much they talked about it on the radio, but Brad Butler missed a significant part of the first half, and (I believe) spent the entire second half on the sideline. That left Duke Preston at C, Jason Whittle at RG, and Matt Murphy as the only other available O-lineman for the last two quarters. Does the run-blocking need to get better? Yup. That said, kudos to today's cobbled-together front five for keeping Trent upright all game long.

-They went after McKelvin all game long. He definitely missed a few, but when I pointed that out in the Lot 1 postgame confab, R. Rich responded, "How long should he be expected to cover?" Valid point -- not much of a pass rush early on. Plus, he'll get better with more experience.

-And overall, for a defense missing its Pro Bowl DE and starting a rookie CB, holding the league's (former) top-scoring offense to half their average isn't a bad thing.

-Of coourse, Trent's 25-for-30 day was the primary topic of conversation in the lot. Tell me again: this kid's only in his second season in the league? With apologies to Timbuck3, "The future's so bright ..."

-And Mitchell was a beast.

Period.

A few more thoughts:

- Not sure how much they talked about it on the radio, but Brad Butler missed a significant part of the first half, and (I believe) spent the entire second half on the sideline. That left Duke Preston at C, Jason Whittle at RG, and Matt Murphy as the only other available O-lineman for the last two quarters. Does the run-blocking need to get better? Yup. That said, kudos to today's cobbled-together front five for keeping Trent upright all game long.

-They went after McKelvin all game long. He definitely missed a few, but when I pointed that out in the Lot 1 postgame confab, R. Rich responded, "How long should he be expected to cover?" Valid point -- not much of a pass rush early on. Plus, he'll get better with more experience.

-And overall, for a defense missing its Pro Bowl DE and starting a rookie CB, holding the league's (former) top-scoring offense to half their average isn't a bad thing.

-Of coourse, Trent's 25-for-30 day was the primary topic of conversation in the lot. Tell me again: this kid's only in his second season in the league? With apologies to Timbuck3, "The future's so bright ..."

Period.

Nicely summed up, Lo.

And, thanks for the info on the scoreboard clocks.

A few more thoughts:

From what I got to see of the game today, I thought Duke did a good job. No flying into the backfield from bull rushes like Melvin has been dealing with.

Didn't kow about Butler. From what I saw, there wasn't much difference in play from Butler to Whittle.

Did we resign Murphy? I knew we released him but that's as far as I know.

Period.

I agree, Trent has really impressed me this year.

1) Forget stats. I don't remember seeing Marshawn Lynch play a better, more complete game. He picked up blitzes, and was as clutch as a m.f.!!! :thumbsup:

2) It makes no sense to say, or even think this, but anybody who isn't a part of this can kiss my a$$. OK, I'll calm down.

3) Message #1 to McKelvin: Please, go and talk to your coaches before your coverage gives me a heart attack. Thanks.

4) Who here actually believed that Mitchell had it in him to take over a football game? Not me, and I always thought that he was a good player.

5) Tell me, who was the better quarterback out there today, Rivers or Trent? I mean, I'm just :angry: ing asking, ya know? :D:beer:

6) I promise.....this was a season changing, absolutely HUGE win. I hope you read this 1billsfan. We did it Bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

7) Did Jason Peters play well? No, he was flat out dominant. He was crushing, I mean destroying m.f.s, and going upfield to hit someone else. It was truly a thing of beauty to watch. Good for you kid!!!!! :thumbsup:

8) Melvin who?

9) Message #2 to McKelvin: RUN, don't trot when you catch a kickoff. If you do so, you will outrun people to the endzone with your blazing speed. Thanks again.

10) We deserve this kind of elation folks. We can bicker away, but we are in this together and right now, it is looking :thumbsup: ing good. Let's keep it going! :)

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. If Trent stays healthy, we are looking at a 12-4 season. He is that good.

4. Kawika played a monster 4th quarter. The reason this team is playing so well is that every week someone else is having a monster game for us. We have a lot of players who can have monster games. The talent level on this roster has greatly increased. No reason we can't be 7-1 when we go into New England.

I have to slightly quibble with this. Its probably not fair to blame the "team" for the Adrian Wilson hit. At worst, it was a matter of 1, maybe 2 players missing their blocking assignment on a single play. I'd argue that Hardy (a member of the team) played pretty well on that play.

Up on the TBD website there is an article that has some extended quotes from Donte Whitner on this subject.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11047927

The relevant nuggets are:

Trent Edwards then added this nugget:

I think Trent's comment is true the other way around as well. When the offense is playing well, the defense may not press as much - and that may produce better results. I think that's only human - and I disagree that its a character flaw in the team.

With that being said, Whitner added this little firstarter:

My own assessment is that while Trent Edwards would have helped during Arizona (I think he would have avoided at least one of those two strip-sacks if nothing else), the way our defense and running game played in that game, the net effect would have been to just make the score a little closer. If Kurt Warner got his hands on the ball with a chance to win in that game, you just had the sense that he would have made it happen on that day against that day's Bills defense - pressing or not pressing.

JDG

It was a well timed blitz..If anyone shoulda done anything Royal shoulda chipped him at the line..Those plays are gonna happen..If Trent audibles out of it or Royal chips him it doesnt happen...

When a statement like that comes from your Team Captain and the lockeroom leader I guess no more needs to be said on this JP subject..Case closed..