A Few Thoughts About The Game.....

Holy crap, lets get to the playoffs before comparing a second year player to the 7th first ballot hall of fame quarterback ever.

There's no such thing as a "first ballot hall of famer." There are simply "Hall of Famers."

JDG

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seahawks 1-4

jags 3-3

faiders 1-4

rams 1-4

chargers 3-4

and please don't call me Shirley

It always kills me when I hear stats like "they haven't beaten a winning team" or "the combined win % of the teams they beat is .375" THE FACT THAT THEY BEAT THOSE TEAMS CONTRIBUTED TO THEIR LOSING RECORD/POOR WIN %.

Just one of my pet peeves. :beer:

clamoring for jp to start? what on earth does that have to do with my post?

jp played for almost all of the last game, this game trent played. my comment about the game contrasts jp's horrible play vs trent's great play -- it is completely topical and appropriate for a discussion about the game.

i don't care what other people bring up, my comment was good.

No, it sucked. Your comment focused on one aspect, that had nothing to do with the last game. It made it seem as though you didn't watch the last game, or you would understand that QB play was the least of the Bills problems against the Cardinals. If you weren't simply taking a swipe at JP, why didn't you focus on how different the O line played? Why didn't you bother to highlight the difference in the defense?

Did Trent play great today? He sure did. Isn't that good enough? You diminish the rest of this team's great performance today, by not mentioning the difference in the TEAM effort today.

As for the "run out of bounds", the clock kept moving so no harm no foul.

No the clock stopped, and Marshawn hasn't proven himself to be a back that moves the ball CONSISTENTLY. The play happened around the 4:40 mark and he ran out of bounds. Watch the play again, it really happened.

Looking to break home-runs is not the same thing. Jackson has looked better running and catching the ball. Are you trying to run Jackson out of town? You know it works both ways. You can't score so few points in the first half with your QB on fire unless the running game is going no where.

First-rounders are given way too much forgiveness by fans, this is one more example.

Oh, one more thing, congrats to Lee Evans for playing a great overall game today. The guy was fantastic and deserves a lot of credit for the win.

It always kills me when I hear stats like "they haven't beaten a winning team" or "the combined win % of the teams they beat is .375" THE FACT THAT THEY BEAT THOSE TEAMS CONTRIBUTED TO THEIR LOSING RECORD/POOR WIN %.

Just one of my pet peeves. :beer:

The only time that stat deserves some credence is the end of the year, and that stat bothers me as well.

No. Really, it wasn't. You're the one who brought up JP, no one else mentioned him, and he didn't play this week. So, relevance to this game - zero.

nonsense.

i was contrasting the play of the qb this game vs last game. that's totally valid.

No, it sucked. Your comment focused on one aspect, that had nothing to do with the last game. It made it seem as though you didn't watch the last game, or you would understand that QB play was the least of the Bills problems against the Cardinals. If you weren't simply taking a swipe at JP, why didn't you focus on how different the O line played? Why didn't you bother to highlight the difference in the defense?

Did Trent play great today? He sure did. Isn't that good enough? You diminish the rest of this team's great performance today, by not mentioning the difference in the TEAM effort today.

I was driving home from the game thanxs to Hammer selling me a pair of tix at the last minute ( Thank You again) I was listening to Vic Carucci NationaL Editor for NFL.com and he said to start off his segment that it is more than luck that the Buffalo Bills seem to play better when Trent is in the game than JP..He brings accountablility to the other players that JP didnt..And the results are showing up in the win column...I gotta agree...

I completely agree with what you've written. Take the Oakland game. When the Bills' defense gave up that 78 yard TD pass, my reaction was, that play didn't matter. I have absolute confidence that Trent will drive down the field, and that he'll score a TD to balance out the one the Raiders just got. There isn't a doubt in my mind that the Bills will win this game.

If the offensive line can pass protect like it did today, and if we avoid too many run-run-pass play calls, this Bills' offense can give us an opportunity to beat any given team we might face.

The Bills were on their way to an impressive drive at the beginning of the 4th quarter when they were pinned at the 1. Freddie Jackson got stuffed on 3rd and 1 but almost had the first down on 2nd and 5. If this team can stay healthy and improve their run blocking, The sky is the limit.

Actually not. Lynch's run out-of-bounds at 4:57 in the fourth quarter stopped the clock. Fortunately we won anyways - but again, this has been a reoccurring problem for Lynch in his career.

Running out of town? I just criticized Jauron for giving a certain critical carry to Jackson instead of Lynch....

JDG

According to the NFL play-by-play, Lynch was pushed out of bounds:

1-10-SD 48 (4:57) 23-M.Lynch right guard pushed ob at SD 29 for 19 yards (32-E.Weddle).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...p;override=true

I don't really remember the play, though.

As for the 3rd and 1 @ 10:19 of the 4th quarter, I agree that Lynch probably makes that 1st down. I won't bash Jauron/Turk for that call (and don't think you did, either), but I was surprised when Jackson got that the ball on that play.

I was driving home from the game thanxs to Hammer selling me a pair of tix at the last minute ( Thank You again) I was listening to Vic Carucci NationaL Editor for NFL.com and he said to start off his segment that it is more than luck that the Buffalo Bills seem to play better when Trent is in the game than JP..He brings accountablility to the other players that JP didnt..And the results are showing up in the win column...I gotta agree...

There certainly may be something to that, but let's not forget that the team didn't play well for Trent when it let him get bashed to the ground, against Arizona. of course, part of that was Trent's fault, as he decided to take that hit, instead of dumping the ball earlier. (I admire a guy who takes that hit, but he does the team no good from the locker room.)

Great teams actually step up, when one of their leaders, and best players gets hurt. If it's true that the Bills don't play well with JP under center, it speaks more to the character of the team, than to JP, IMO. If this team is going to make it to the first tier of NFL teams, they will need to play strong and hard regardless of who is at QB, or RB, or CB, etc.

I have better confidence when Jackson runs the ball then Lynch. Minus that Lynch TD he was terrible.

WHAT? Any RB in the NFL could have easily scored that TD. It was a well designed, perfectly executed play. He had a wall of three (at least) blockers out in front against maybe 3 (2?) defenders. He followed them over the goal line untouched. A great play, to be sure, but by no means due to individual Lynch effort.

Watch Lynch turn 2 yd losses into 1 yd gains. See Lynch move the chains on 3rd and four and remember back to the days of Willis "4th and a short 1" MaGahee's sorry ass.

I have stayed out of this little debate, but that is a reach and a half Brian.

Taken out of context, that sentence is a reach, I agree. But, I think my entire post speaks for itself. If the rest of the team plays poorer (O line blocks worse, WR don't run routes as well, D plays less agressive, etc) because of a change in the starting QB, or any player, it speaks poorly of the team. GREAT teams actually step up and play better, when one of their best is out.

It also ended up not mattering, but Marshawn Lynch *still* needs to learn how to stay inbounds when we are running out the clock.

The clock no longer stops on OB plays until the last 5:00 of the game. On the play you're referring to there was about 4:50 left when Marshawn ran OB so he probably didn't even realize they'd gone under the 5:00 mark.

That being said, yes he should have stayed in and he should have delivered a blow while doing it.

No the clock stopped, and Marshawn hasn't proven himself to be a back that moves the ball CONSISTENTLY. The play happened around the 4:40 mark and he ran out of bounds. Watch the play again, it really happened.

Looking to break home-runs is not the same thing. Jackson has looked better running and catching the ball. Are you trying to run Jackson out of town? You know it works both ways. You can't score so few points in the first half with your QB on fire unless the running game is going no where.

First-rounders are given way too much forgiveness by fans, this is one more example.

Oh, one more thing, congrats to Lee Evans for playing a great overall game today. The guy was fantastic and deserves a lot of credit for the win.

There alot of differences in Marshawns game this year to last year....He seems like he is trying to be patient(at times way to patient), compared to last year were he was critized for running to designed play but never being patient enough to give his line a chance to develop a nice running lane for him.......

He needs to find a balance....for sure

But lets be real here....this LINE is not getting the job done....they struggle to get a good push, and rarely ever, RARELY EVER get off the line to seal off the edge or open running lane to allow Marshawn to the 2nd level.....

Holy crap, lets get to the playoffs before comparing a second year player to the 7th first ballot hall of fame quarterback ever. Come on. I think Trent is a breath of fresh air after the compost that has circulated through the QB position since Jimbo but I guess "potential" is the operative word here. Plus, Jimbo did so much more for the city of Buffalo than just play QB for the Bills. I'm very happy with Trent's development so far and think we are in good shape for the future if he can stay healthy.

I just want to see him break a cornerback's leg after he throws a pick like Jimbo did :beer:

RTB

I think it's worth noting that the numbers Trent has put up over this five game stretch are better than the numbers Kelly averaged over the course of his career. But this isn't just about numbers, because a lot of starting QBs can get hot and put together a few good games. What I find inspiring is how Trent has gone about putting up those numbers: he processes information quickly, and he isn't afraid to go to his #3 or #4 option if the others are covered. He spreads the ball around. When the offensive line provides good pass protection, this style of quarterbacking can be very hard to defend against. Brady is a practitioner of that style of play, and how much success has the Bills' defense had against Brady over the years? The kinds of things you see Trent doing are very difficult for a defense to take away (again assuming the pass protection holds up). If we continue to receive the same kind of pass protection we saw today, or anything that's even close, I would expect Trent to have a long and very successful career.

As far as Jim Kelly goes, he was a very good quarterback, but there's a tendency among Bills fans to make him larger than life. As good as he was, I'm completely open to the possibility that some other Bills quarterback might prove to be even better.

There certainly may be something to that, but let's not forget that the team didn't play well for Trent when it let him get bashed to the ground, against Arizona. of course, part of that was Trent's fault, as he decided to take that hit, instead of dumping the ball earlier. (I admire a guy who takes that hit, but he does the team no good from the locker room.)

Great teams actually step up, when one of their leaders, and best players gets hurt. If it's true that the Bills don't play well with JP under center, it speaks more to the character of the team, than to JP, IMO. If this team is going to make it to the first tier of NFL teams, they will need to play strong and hard regardless of who is at QB, or RB, or CB, etc.

I have to disagree..Sometimes the qb is so good he raises the play and the team loses its swagger and confidence..Look no further that the Patriots..They go 16 and 0 last yr and lose Brady and they have faltered miserably..

Taken out of context, that sentence is a reach, I agree. But, I think my entire post speaks for itself. If the rest of the team plays poorer (O line blocks worse, WR don't run routes as well, D plays less agressive, etc) because of a change in the starting QB, or any player, it speaks poorly of the team. GREAT teams actually step up and play better, when one of their best is out.

I agree to a point, but look at the patsies. It is impossible for them to play as well without Brady, and it even effects both sides of the ball imo.

That said, I am going to bow out of this. I don't want to talk about JP, other than to say that I hope that he can produce if this team needs him. :beer:

I can not believe that I am agreeing with you. Lord you can take me now for I have come full circle... :beer: