Best team in the AFCE

I didn't watch the Fins/Pats game - what the hell happened?!?!?! Are the Phins a good team? Or are the Pats falling flat? Or was it both?

The Pats had no pass rush whatsoever and Pennington picked apart their soft zone. Ronnie Brown killed them running out of a formation in which he was lined up at QB.

On offense, the Pats had no vertical game at all, and Cassel was unable to sustain drives. It was bad on all fronts.

Thank God for the bye. :D

Didn't expect to see you here.

Thanks. :D

I didn't watch the Fins/Pats game - what the hell happened?!?!?! Are the Phins a good team? Or are the Pats falling flat? Or was it both?

Pats weakness on defense is and has been stopping the run but it was hidden last year for the most part because of the amount of points they scored teams were forced to pass

their defense is old

And it's not really close. Congrats, guys.

Thanks for the thoughts HD. I think I will still wait until we go head to head to pronounce anything for the year...It looks promising though--this is the most positive energy in 9 years and it feels really good..

Miami was amazing today. Both Williams and Brown were possessed and as you pointed out the D scheme was soft and played right to Chad Pennington's strength. I was really surprised at the scheme.

Didn't expect to see you here.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I am in FL for the weekend and saw the game..On D--the Pats played pretty soft and Miami gashed them with both the run and the pass. The Phins kept them off balance with things like putting Ronnie Brown in at direct snap QB and running out if it the first three times and then passing for a TD the last time. Chad had a lot of short middle and out routes to hit and he was deadly. Anthony Fasano is really good at TE. The Pats couldn't cover him.

On D--the Phins where just hugely aggressive with the rush and looked really quick. Lots of sacks, a few turnovers...

It was never close...total domination.

I tried telling people Miami can run block and have two very good backs. I don't care how much weed RW smokes he's still a good back and Ronnie Brown has always had a great size/speed combo, it was just a matter of him coming back from injury or not.

I agree.

I tried telling people Miami can run block and have two very good backs. I don't care how much weed RW smokes he's still a good back and Ronnie Brown has always had a great size/speed combo, it was just a matter of him coming back from injury or not.

You're a man HD. Takes cajones to come here. While I appreciate your post I can't say that seeing the Pets* suffer doesn't please me a lot. With Brady out it's showing a lot about that genius :thumbsup: Bullacrap.

I heard their camera is out for repair and their spies are striking for more money.

:lol:

I watched the Bills in my local NH watering hole and had the Pats* game on side by side. No one talked about the Pats* D since pre-season but I suspected they might get exposed, and the did by a surprisingly effective Chad Pennington. That said, Cassell was brutal today, and you can see by the 3rd Q Randy Moss was already mentally checking out. If Cassell can't hit him when he's open then he ain't gonna try no more.

PTR

I appreciate this, HD. For years I've watched the Patriots dominate the Bills. They had the better coaching staff. The better front office. Better players. Everything, from top to bottom, seemed better run than was the case with the Bills. When I thought of the Patriots' organization, I thought of words like "intelligently-run," "disciplined," "rigor of thought." The phrases that came to mind under the TD era were, "short-sighted," "undisciplined," "lacking sight of the big picture," etc. I regarded the two games against the Patriots each year as automatic losses.

But now we're in year 3 of the post-TD rebuilding era, and this organization is starting to show signs of Patriots-like competence. The drafts have been good. The coaching staff is finally good. This team is a real threat not just to go to the playoffs, but to actually do something once there.

And yet the Patriots still have Bill Belicheck. You still have Scott Pioli. You still have Tom Brady, and he's probably only halfway through his career. There are too many old guys on the Patriots roster, at too many important positions, for your team to be a real Super Bowl threat for the next 2 - 3 years. But give yourself a few good drafts, plus the young or mid-career players you currently have, and the Patriots will once again become a threat to reassert their old dominance. 2 - 3 years from now the Bills should be an even stronger team than we are now. I expect the division battles between the Bills and Patriots to be fierce. If the Dolphins and Jets get their acts together (and the Dolphins seem to be working on it) the AFC East could become as strong as the NFC East was back in the early '90s.

But Brady actually didn't cheat last year. And he threw 50 TD passes.

Though I sense the sarcasm, technically, the team Pats* didn't get caught until week 7, and they didn't turn over the tapes until much later in the season. So, it is very possible that they were still cheating even over the course of last season. Fact is, that team was built around Brady, and without the "Golden Boy" the team is going to suffer. Cassell can't make the reads or make the throws the way Brady did, and that is going to cost them some games. I still don't think we will beat them on the road, but I think that December matchup in Buffalo is going to be a huge win for us this season, and might be the game that seals a division championship.

But Brady actually didn't cheat last year. And he threw 50 TD passes.

Actually they cheated against the Jets, and it was aggregate cheating. They cheated to the point where good players would play for discounts for a ring. They stock-piled talent and pics because they cheated their way to victory. Last year was like a victory dance on other teams because they kept getting hometown discounts because they were winners*.

Sorry, these next 2 years are still part of the cheating luxury of stockpiling that team with talent. They couldn't get that talent if they didn't cheat their way to it. In effect they cheated to get talent, and even though they aren't technically cheating, they are reaping the benefits of being perceived as winners. Let's see the Genius in 3 years when they suck.

Ah, King Troll. Welcome back.

When Brady went down with the $100 million ACL injury, and after I threw up listening to Peter King whimpering and pleading to all who would listen that "Tom Brady being out of the game is bad for the NFL", I began to think of past dynastic teams that have had to face this level of adversity. I mean, it's gut check time. Let's see what's under the hood. Let's see how this tainted Pats* "dynasty" stacks up with the Cowboys, the 49ers, the Steelers, the Broncos (I admit, this might be stretching it, but Elway's bunch put a couple together).

The best comparison I could see was the 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers. They'd already come off Super Bowl victories, they were far-and-away the best team in the NFL (possibly the best the league had ever seen at that time), and were slated to roll their way to a triple repeat. And then Bradshaw blew up and everything went "crumph" in a pile of Terrible Towels. The Steelers defense rose to the occasion, however, shutting teams out time after time. Anyone can Google the history, but look also to the NFL Films documentary if it ever rolls around again. Quite the performance.

So how have the Pats* fared when it was their turn? Squeaked by the Chiefs. WOW! Squeaked by the Jets. WOW! Two powerhouses. The best part - the BEST part - about the Pats* having won two games is that it actually allowed the front-running fan base to start to believe that "Hey, maybe we ARE that good! Things won't be so bad!". The Dolphins game was the "Unmasking Game" that we've all been awaiting, and that Peter King and his ball-washing ilk have been dreading. You see, unlike the Steelers in 1976, the Pats* have nothing. Nothing. They're old. They're slow. They're thin. And now they can't cheat. And do you know what the best part is? They'll have no excuses. They have a creampuff schedule, and they're STILL going to have their limp-wristed nancy-boy asses handed to them, week-after-week-after-week-after-week..........

After last season - and, no, not just because of what they did to the Bills, but to EVERY team simply for the sake of being dicks - the Pats* can't lose enough. 2-14 sounds good to me.

Though I sense the sarcasm, technically, the team Pats* didn't get caught until week 7, and they didn't turn over the tapes until much later in the season. So, it is very possible that they were still cheating even over the course of last season. Fact is, that team was built around Brady, and without the "Golden Boy" the team is going to suffer. Cassell can't make the reads or make the throws the way Brady did, and that is going to cost them some games. I still don't think we will beat them on the road, but I think that December matchup in Buffalo is going to be a huge win for us this season, and might be the game that seals a division championship.

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. He was incredible last year.

Ah, King Troll. Welcome back.

When Brady went down with the $100 million ACL injury, and after I threw up listening to Peter King whimpering and pleading to all who would listen that "Tom Brady being out of the game is bad for the NFL", I began to think of past dynastic teams that have had to face this level of adversity. I mean, it's gut check time. Let's see what's under the hood. Let's see how this tainted Pats* "dynasty" stacks up with the Cowboys, the 49ers, the Steelers, the Broncos (I admit, this might be stretching it, but Elway's bunch put a couple together).

I think you can mention Buffalo in there too. Losing Kelly, Buffalo still rallied to get to the Superbowl and beat some good teams on the way.

I think you can mention Buffalo in there too. Losing Kelly, Buffalo still rallied to get to the Superbowl and beat some good teams on the way.

Sir, I've seen Frank Reich interviewed, I saw Frank Reich lead the greatest comeback in NFL history, Frank Reich was the greatest backup QB ever. You Mr. Cassel are no Frank Reich.