Scout.com says Peters may be back monday

Fingon

Rumor: Bills Expecting Peters Back

by Scout Rumor Central of ScoutNFLNetwork.com, August 28, 2008 at 3:14pm ET

Jason Peters Profile

A source in the Bills front office tells Scout.com that they're holding firm with LT Jason Peters. The team likes Peters a lot, the source tells us, and has developed the player, but isn't sympathetic enough to buy one of those "take a number" gadgets for all the players who would line up if they renegotiated his deal. Peters still has three years left on his contract and management feels that it would set an unacceptable precedent to tear up his deal and re-write it.

Our team source expects Peters to show up Monday, practice for a week, and then sit as Dick Jauron refuses to start him. The team moved right tackle Langston Walker to left tackle late in July to fill in for Peters, and Walker has grown in the role, despite spooking Bills fans when he was hurt on Sunday.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...61937&fhn=1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope this is true but if Peters is back on monday,practices for a week,is in good shape and has a decent grasp of the new system i hope we start him and bring langston back to right tackle. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be nice, but I don't see him starting the first game if he comes back. I look for a couple weeks of practice.

They haven't heard from Peters, its just some guy in the front office throwing some speculation out there. We should still be prepared for life without the Holy One.

Yup. Peters has too much to lose by staying out and missing game checks. Hard to imagine him being ready to play in a week or two.

I have a hard time believing that Dick Jauron would tell anyone that he would refuse to start Peters.

Maybe some time with the second team would be helpful, given the time he's missed. Spreading the word that Peters will sit is probably not the best way to get Peters to report.

I have a hard time believing that Dick Jauron would tell anyone that he would refuse to start Peters.

Maybe some time with the second team would be helpful, given the time he's missed. Spreading the word that Peters will sit is probably not the best way to get Peters to report.

Yeah I don't like the idea of him coming in and not playing either. He might as well not come in. He's the best guy at his position on the whole team; he better be on the field.

Lawyer Milloy started week one after he was on our team for all of 5 days. And that was going to a completely new team. I realize they've made some changes within our offense, but it's basically the same. I'm sure Peters could handle it.

It's not Jauron's style to sit a player based upon a grudge -- that's the most unbelievable part of this rumor. If Peters comes back, he'll be inserted into the lineup as soon as the coaches are convinced he's ready, and he won't be held out as any sort of "punishment."

It's not Jauron's style to sit a player based upon a grudge -- that's the most unbelievable part of this rumor. If Peters comes back, he'll be inserted into the lineup as soon as the coaches are convinced he's ready, and he won't be held out as any sort of "punishment."

The moral is: If you want people to believe your rumor, make your rumor believable.

They haven't heard from Peters, its just some guy in the front office throwing some speculation out there. We should still be prepared for life without the Holy One.

Peters will report, he's not about to start missing paychecks especially when he owes a bunch in fines

I'd let him sit til October

Lawyer Milloy started week one after he was on our team for all of 5 days. And that was going to a completely new team. I realize they've made some changes within our offense, but it's basically the same. I'm sure Peters could handle it.

do you really not understand the difference between a player coming from another team that has been practicing all training camp vs a player that has been sitting home since the end of last season?

Peters will report, he's not about to start missing paychecks especially when he owes a bunch in fines

Letting Peters "sit" once he returns -- if he is in shape and ready to play -- is the worst thing the Bills could do. This is a player they supposedly want to keep for a long time; why damage the relationship by holding immature grudges? It's just business, and the Bills understand that.

Peters could care less about the fines, they are usually negotiated away or severely reduced. The way Peters must be looking at it is, why not sit and let a $190,000 game check go by when he is holding out looking for game checks in the $500,000 range. This has all the makings of a very ugly, very prolonged stalemate. I of course hope I'm wrong.

do you really not understand the difference between a player coming from another team that has been practicing all training camp vs a player that has been sitting home since the end of last season?

Well I honestly hadn't thought about it from a conditioning stand point. I was thinking about it more along the lines of learning the system. I was assuming he was in playing shape, which may not be the case. The point I was really thinking about was how lame it would be if they didn't start him as some type of lame punishment, like it was pee wee football or something.

There was also a powerful emotional aspect of that game. A week earlier, Milloy was one of their leaders. Then he was on the field against them.

Best decision Gregg Williams ever made.

Well I honestly hadn't thought about it from a conditioning stand point. I was thinking about it more along the lines of learning the system. I was assuming he was in playing shape, which may not be the case. The point I was really thinking about was how lame it would be if they didn't start him as some type of lame punishment, like it was pee wee football or something.

The first week and a half of camp all you hear about is players complaining about this being tight and that being sore. They all say, being in shape and being in football shape are two completely different things. You can be the worlds best weightroom warrior, but you will get kicked around the field jumping out there with the guys who have been strapping it on for the last month

Letting Peters "sit" once he returns -- if he is in shape and ready to play -- is the worst thing the Bills could do. This is a player they supposedly want to keep for a long time; why damage the relationship by holding immature grudges? It's just business, and the Bills understand that.

They "want to keep him for a long time"??? How have they demonstrated that? By making him one of the lowest paid pro bowlers in the league? Its a little late to worry about damaging their relationship with Peters.

That would be nice, but I don't see him starting the first game if he comes back. I look for a couple weeks of practice.

If true, he prolly won't play the first four games to get into game shape. At least that's how I would handle it. Previous reports to other hold outs hold that most of those players suffer some type of injury that keeps them out of alot of games because their bodies aren't ready for the regular season.

Our team source expects Peters to show up Monday, practice for a week, and then sit as Dick Jauron refuses to start him. The team moved right tackle Langston Walker to left tackle late in July to fill in for Peters, and Walker has grown in the role, despite spooking Bills fans when he was hurt on Sunday.

We are short TEs. Let him play TE behind #84.

They "want to keep him for a long time"??? How have they demonstrated that? By making him one of the lowest paid pro bowlers in the league? Its a little late to worry about damaging their relationship with Peters.

:thumbsup:

This rumor has no credibility for several reasons.

If Peters showed up tomorrow, Jauron and the rest of the staff have no idea if he's even healthy enough to practice, much less in game shape. They essentially haven't talked to him since last season. So obviously they haven't decided anything about whether or not he would play.

Brandon has said that they would be willing to discuss an extension with Peters if he reports, but there would be no new money in 2008, it would be in future years. They're trying to make it very clear to Peters and his agent that there is no financial incentive in holding out, unless you're willing to wait over a year to see any of that money.

The relationship isn't so damaged that a few million won't fix it. yet

Again...no player will sit out and lose over $191,000 per game...it just doesn't happen unless this guy has some real mental issues going on. COuple that with all the fines he will be forced to pay if he does miss a regular season game and he is likely looking at around $500,000...no one in their right mind would risk losing that amount of money no matter how rich he is or thinks he is...

That'll teach him! When he returns to the Bills, do not play your best left tackle, who will be making almost $200,000 per game, for the first 4 games. I really think that will send the right message.... :thumbsup:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but when Peters returns (and I do mean when, not if), they do everything they can to get him in the line up as soon as possible!

Jason who?

If this rumor is true and he reports, are you going to hope that he fails this year? Are you that angry at him?

If I may, allow me to suggest rooting for a great LT to protect a potentially great qb and open holes for a potentially great rb.

Sounds like fun? :thumbsup:

oh, cry me a freakin river

just like how under rated players (westbrook for example) who are great get called underrated until the point where they are in the hall of fame being called under rated, linemen have had a reputation of being overlooked on this board to the point where people (akc, bill in ny, etc) lose their sheet and think they are the only players on the team.

peters is a stud and LT is the most important O line position, but there is much more to a team and an O than one single position and frankly losing marchawn or evans would hurt our O more than losing peters.

good to have him back, but the over hype given around here for OL is way overboard.

That'll teach him! When he returns to the Bills, do not play your best left tackle, who will be making almost $200,000 per game, for the first 4 games. I really think that will send the right message.... :thumbsup:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but when Peters returns (and I do mean when, not if), they do everything they can to get him in the line up as soon as possible!

I'm not sure that's what Max meant, but anyway, realistically, Peters probably won't be in any kind of game shape after sitting in front of his TV licking barbecue off his fingers for the last 8 months, and his 9-Wonderlic doesn't bode well for him to assimilate any new offensive schemes or adjust to new player and coaching personnel in any kind or 'record time'. So, the least the bum can do is come on in, practice himself into shape for a few weeks, and learn the new playbook, while his game checks go toward his $500K+ in fines. :beer:

oh, cry me a freakin river

agreed...

I'm not sure that's what Max meant, but anyway, realistically, Peters probably won't be in any kind of game shape after sitting in front of his TV licking barbecue off his fingers for the last 8 months, and his 9-Wonderlic doesn't bode well for him to assimilate any new offensive schemes or adjust to new player and coaching personnel in any kind or 'record time'. So, the least the bum can do is come on in, practice himself into shape for a few weeks, and learn the new playbook, while his game checks go toward his $500K+ in fines. :thumbsup:

Well, it kind of sounded that way. Unless he means not allowing him to return to the team, which they can't do. The players union would have a field day with that one, they baby the players so freakin much.

I know JP will not be in playing shape when he reports. That's why I said they need to do everything possible to get him ready. He doesn't need to be 100% to be better than Walker at LT. Walker has filled in admirably, but is better at RT. Hopefully Dockery faxed him the new play book!!

Again...no player will sit out and lose over $191,000 per game...it just doesn't happen unless this guy has some real mental issues going on. COuple that with all the fines he will be forced to pay if he does miss a regular season game and he is likely looking at around $500,000...no one in their right mind would risk losing that amount of money no matter how rich he is or thinks he is...

We do not know what Parker will have Peters do.

Peters may be willing to miss out on another 200K per week for a few weeks if he thinks it will get him 600K per week next year. Don't forget the 8 figure signing bonus.

Parker may be an SOB who doesn't care who he pisses off on his quest to make $$$. But he's not dumb. I think at this point we should just sit back and watch how it plays out.

We do not know what Parker will have Peters do.

Peters may be willing to miss out on another 200K per week for a few weeks if he thinks it will get him 600K per week next year. Don't forget the 8 figure signing bonus.

Parker may be an SOB who doesn't care who he pisses off on his quest to make $$$. But he's not dumb. I think at this point we should just sit back and watch how it plays out.

Parker couldn't care less about Peters playing under the current contract, 'cause Parker makes nothing off that.

So this is all on Peters, really. Does he want to throw his NFL career in the toilet? Is the guy fierce competitor who wants to play football so badly that he just can't stand idling about while his teammates start their march to the Superbowl? Is the guy a football player, or a selfish bum?

If this rumor is true and he reports, are you going to hope that he fails this year? Are you that angry at him?

If I may, allow me to suggest rooting for a great LT to protect a potentially great qb and open holes for a potentially great rb.

Sounds like fun? :beer:

WGR did a web poll yesterday.

60% of the people think the Bills should bench Peters for the entire 2008 season.

:thumbsup: