Prisco's take on Peters

Not sure if it has been posted but...

I suppose we will see:

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/10142859

"The last rookie to sign ended his standoff Wednesday when Jacksonville Jaguars' first-round pick Derrick Harvey agreed to a five-year deal that could pay him $30 million.

That leaves Buffalo Bills tackle Jason Peters as the only player not with his team, making him the last holdout.

The Bills are holding their ground on Peters, who wants a new contract. And they should.

Why?

Like Harvey, Peters will show up. Nobody sits out seasons any more in the NFL. There's too much money to be made and only so many earning years in a body.

Harvey wasn't going to sit out a season, and neither will Peters. The Jaguars knew it, and pretty much held their ground. The Bills know it, too. Peters is scheduled to make $3.25 million this season, which is $191,175 per game, on a deal he signed in 2006.

Want to bet he's there on opening day?"

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that Parker has a reputation to uphold. I can easily holding Peters out just to not make himself look like a chump to prospective clients.

Is Parker going to pay Jason his salary? Sorry, that's a ridiculous assertion you just typed.

Is Parker going to pay Jason his salary? Sorry, that's a ridiculous assertion you just typed.

Why does Parker care? Peters was like found money. The worst thing that happens is Peters fires him. Parker isn't losing any money.

It's all about saving face at this point...Parker has to hatch a scheme so his client can declare victory, regardless of whether or not a new contract is reached.

Maybe Parker can take a page outta Hillary's playbook to develop this strategy.... :ph34r:

The problem is that Parker has a reputation to uphold. I can easily holding Peters out just to not make himself look like a chump to prospective clients.

parker has a very good reputation, and when Peters signs his huge deal down the road, Parker will not look bad, he will look like a genius. If Peters gets hurt and never gets the contract, or doesn't play well, Parker won't look bad, Peters will. I see little downside for the agent, unfortunately. Plus he has 45 or so clients signed and playing already.

I realize that Peters will most likely play this year, maybe even in week 1. And that this is really not much more than posturing and not much harm done, etc…

Still though, I really do hope both of those greedy bastards die of testicular elephantitis and rot in hell right after the Bills win the Super Bowl this year.

parker has a very good reputation, and when Peters signs his huge deal down the road, Parker will not look bad, he will look like a genius. If Peters gets hurt and never gets the contract, or doesn't play well, Parker won't look bad, Peters will. I see little downside for the agent, unfortunately. Plus he has 45 or so clients signed and playing already.

I don't think embarassment, reputation, pride, etc, have anything to do with anything. I just think that Peters had nothing to lose and everything to gain by holding out, so he did. I have said it over and over that this has cost him nothing and won't cost him anything more if he comes in early enough so that he doesn't miss any game checks. We will have lost him for the first 2-3 games or 18% of the season. He hasn't paid a penny in fines and even if he does, I wouldn't be surprised if Parker agreed to reduce his cut accordingly when that big deal eventually does come.

All this talk about Parker and Peters trying to save face, coming crawling back is melodramatic. It is the team that will be out a top LT for 2-3 games while Parker and Peters lose nothing.

The only way you can argue that this cost Peters is if you think he would have been given a new deal if he had reported but that notion has been debunked many times over.

It's all about saving face at this point...Parker has to hatch a scheme so his client can declare victory, regardless of whether or not a new contract is reached.

Maybe Parker can take a page outta Hillary's playbook to develop this strategy.... :ph34r:

Saving face?? This is an agent we are talking about here, they don't care about that, they care about $$.

Peters wasn't going to get a new deal if he reported on time so he took a shot at holding out. If it doesn't work, and certainly it hasn't so far, what has the effort cost him? Nada.

And it will be the same next year because he will still have 2 years left on his current contract.

I agree that there's little downside for Parker. So what's the harm in sitting out at least a couple games, at least? And if Peters fires him, he'll say (to prospective clients) "Peters didn't stay the course." Again I hope I'm wrong, but if they've come this far...

I don't think embarassment, reputation, pride, etc, have anything to do with anything. I just think that Peters had nothing to lose and everything to gain by holding out, so he did. I have said it over and over that this has cost him nothing and won't cost him anything more if he comes in early enough so that he doesn't miss any game checks. We will have lost him for the first 2-3 games or 18% of the season. He hasn't paid a penny in fines and even if he does, I wouldn't be surprised if Parker agreed to reduce his cut accordingly when that big deal eventually does come.

All this talk about Parker and Peters trying to save face, coming crawling back is melodramatic. It is the team that will be out a top LT for 2-3 games while Parker and Peters lose nothing.

The only way you can argue that this cost Peters is if you think he would have been given a new deal if he had reported but that notion has been debunked many times over.

If Peters can make this season a replica of last season, he will get paid over the offseason.

This holdout has lessened the odds that he does that.

Therefore, he's less likely to get the monster deal he's after.

If Peters can make this season a replica of last season, he will get paid over the offseason.

I respectfully disagree.

Even if you are right in some sort of principle, Peters has a train load of talent, and there will always be a crazy market for people who can be dominant LTs in the NFL. It won't stop; it will only increase. Remember, he is still a kid, with room to improve.

I also offer that the OL will have played together as a unit, Trent will have more experience, as will Lynch. They seem to have a better OC and I think a better OL coach.

This team can be good BBB, but it needs Jason Peters to take it to the next level.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there's definitely some risk for Peters, because he hasn't played or practiced at all since last year. Unless he's a workout warrior, he's not going to be in shape to play, and there's going to be a lot of pressure on him to play, even from his teammates. So the risk is that he gets nicked and dinged up all season, which affects his performance. Or worse, he gets a season-ending injury, which will reduce his leverage in negotions for a new contract, either with this team or any potential new ones. After all, what's to stop him from pulling the exact same stunt with another team if the Bills were to get tired of him?

I think there is a good chance that Peters will be sitting on the bench for a number of games until he gets his game wind and coordination in. The fact that his not the sharpest tool in the box will hurt him even more learning whatever changes in system occurred. Overall I think this will hurt more than help in immediate-to-short term time period and whether it helps long term is determined by how long he needs to be in detention, how ugly him and his agent make it and how long it takes for him to adjust.

I still think that there will be some sort of compromise.....

Peters will come in....and something will happen with his deal.

I just dont want to see him get a deal before Lee Evans.....WHO DID IT RIGHT

That's an excellent point. Problem is, the Bills need Peters more than he needs the Bills right now, and we probably need Peters more than we need Evans too. Any talk about the bills breaking the playoff drought this year stops without Peters on the team. I was all for giving Peters a new contract so that we don't once again let all our best players walk, but the FO has made it pretty clear that will not be happening, which concerns me.

I stated at the beginning of August that I was not worried about Peters at all... gone are those days! He needs to get in here immediately if not sooner.