Matt Leinart a bust?

Fingon

A bust after one presason game? :thumbsup:

He had a decent rookie year and was injured all of last year.

This is a clear strike against Leinart's progress since the Cardinals would've preferred him to win the job for obvious reasons.

Of course none of the inevitable onslaught of "I told you so" cheerleaders in this thread will say anything about how they once favorably compared JP to Roethlisburger, especially when they can't even use the "he has a great OL" excuse anymore.

He's probably just a guy who needs a change of scenery and a new system. I think that if he had been drafted by the Titans, instead of VY, Leinart would be talked about as one of the best young QB's in the league and Norm Chow would still be the offensive coordinator. Leinart is a good QB, but is having trouble transitioning into the NFL on a team that isn't that great. At USC, he was on one of the best teams in the country for 4 years and surrounded by the best players in the NCAA. This is a whole new ball game. Let's not forget that the guy he's competing against is a former NFL MVP whose had some AWESOME seasons playing the position. One year he had 41 TD's and 4,400 yards, then he had another season with 36 TD's and over 4,800 yards. Warner is no slouch and was on fire at the end of last season. This is no huge shocker.

Maybe Marv wasn't so dumb...

If anyone had ever questioned the wisdom of ANY general manager for not taking Leinart high in the draft, they were probably basing their judgment on the assumptions born of his celebrity. Leinart is too Hollywood - too interested in "The Life", and I don't mean the football life. He has never looked impressive to me despite having two top ten WRs to throw to. He's also fragile and would probably HATE playing for a cold weather team. Can you imagine Leinart throwing a deep out in 20 degree weather with a stiff cross wind?

That one's going the other way....

He's probably just a guy who needs a change of scenery and a new system. I think that if he had been drafted by the Titans, instead of VY, Leinart would be talked about as one of the best young QB's in the league and Norm Chow would still be the offensive coordinator. Leinart is a good QB, but is having trouble transitioning into the NFL on a team that isn't that great. At USC, he was on one of the best teams in the country for 4 years and surrounded by the best players in the NCAA. This is a whole new ball game. Let's not forget that the guy he's competing against is a former NFL MVP whose had some AWESOME seasons playing the position. One year he had 41 TD's and 4,400 yards, then he had another season with 36 TD's and over 4,800 yards. Warner is no slouch and was on fire at the end of last season. This is no huge shocker.

Except that Leinart has 2 Pro Bowl WR's, a former Pro Bowl RB, and an OC who developed Big Ben. Maybe he needs the Pro Bowl TE?

If anyone had ever questioned the wisdom of ANY general manager for not taking Leinart high in the draft, they were probably basing their judgment on the assumptions born of his celebrity. Leinart is too Hollywood - too interested in "The Life", and I don't mean the football life. He has never looked impressive to me despite having two top ten WRs to throw to. He's also fragile and would probably HATE playing for a cold weather team. Can you imagine Leinart throwing a deep out in 20 degree weather with a stiff cross wind?

That one's going the other way....

Ooohhh... Bob Matthews is rolling over in the grave where whatever talent and insight he once had is buried!

It it too early to tell if he's a bust, he could be a solid back up somewhere I suppose.....Would you call Todd Collins a bust?, he's a premier back up and he was drafted in the first round I believe

Absolutely.

He was horrible in Buffalo - he had a serious issue w/ that "deer in the headlights" look. 10 or so years as a 3rd stringer got him to the point that he doesn't look AS bad, but I still wouldn't rate him any higher than an average backup at best.

2nd round picks (#45 overall) aren't drafted to be career 3rd stringers.

It it too early to tell if he's a bust, he could be a solid back up somewhere I suppose.....Would you call Todd Collins a bust?, he's a premier back up and he was drafted in the first round I believe

Got to credit Dan Henning for grooming him into a nice backup 11 years down the road.

Absolutely.

He was horrible in Buffalo - he had a serious issue w/ that "deer in the headlights" look. 10 or so years as a 3rd stringer got him to the point that he doesn't look AS bad, but I still wouldn't rate him any higher than an average backup at best.

2nd round picks (#45 overall) aren't drafted to be career 3rd stringers.

Yeah, he was a 2nd rounder and he was a bust as far as Buffalo is concerned. He cared enough to not flame out instantly like, say, Cade McNown and has made a career as an extra arm in training camps and a clipboard carrier.

Speaking of 2nd rounders, that leads to the point that teams want to draft solid players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to compliment the superstars from the 1st round. Butler's last drafts going back to Collins netted: Tillman, Moore, Price, Bryson, Cowart, Hicks, Wiley, Northern, Stevens, Collins, Kerner, and Covington.

Comparing that to Donahoe: Schobel, Henry, Edwards, Jennings, Reed, Denney, Wire, Kelsay, Crowell, Anderson, Parrish, and Everett.

Kurt Warner is extremely underrated, and being worse than Kurt Warner isn't a bad thing. As for Leinart....this goes similar to the JP arguments, but let's remember he plays on a line with Mike (Turnstile) Gandy and has what, 1 year of Actual playing experience?

Also, come out and admit it, which of you guys posted in the "Matt Leinart has it" thread way back when? Claiming how great of a QB he'd be by now?

I'm sure Warner will lose the starting job to Leinart sometime during the regular season.

You won't know till the end of this season if Leinart is a bust or not. His rookie numbers were slightly better than Edwards. I do agree his arm strength and his work ethics are questionable, but he's not like Ken Dorsey whom you knew wouldn't make it in this league.

Absolutely.

He was horrible in Buffalo -

I disagree. A player's primary goal in the NFL is to make as much money as possible. If they perform so much the better. Figure Collins made any where from $10 to $20 million in his career. That is NOT being a bust

I'm sure Warner will lose the starting job to Leinart sometime during the regular season.

You won't know till the end of this season if Leinart is a bust or not. His rookie numbers were slightly better than Edwards. I do agree his arm strength and his work ethics are questionable, but he's not like Ken Dorsey whom you knew wouldn't make it in this league.

I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

I disagree. A player's primary goal in the NFL is to make as much money as possible. If they perform so much the better. Figure Collins made any where from $10 to $20 million in his career. That is NOT being a bust

What? Doesn't that disqualify every first round pick from being a bust? Who is a bust? Clarence Coleman?

From HIS perspective, I'd be surprised if he considers himself a "bust". But I'd also be surprised to find out he was pleased that he went ~12 years between starts.

There is no way the Bills don't consider him a bust. Again, you don't draft a guy in the 2nd round to have him carry a clipboard for another team for a decade.

From your perspective, was Mike Williams a bust? He made a few MM.

AVP wasn't a bust, but I'm not certain he was even drafted. AVP over the length of his career had to have made a few MM as well. Had he been a 2nd rounder, then he'd have been a bust. For Collins to not be considered a bust, he should be compared to the Bledsoes of the league, not the AVP's and Gale Gilberts.

At USC, he was on one of the best teams in the country for 4 years and surrounded by the best players in the NCAA.

He was surrounded by the best players in the PAC-10, not the NCAA.

That is an enormous difference.

Got to credit Dan Henning for grooming him into a nice backup 11 years down the road.

Henning saw and was able to nurture the seeds that would eventually blossom into mediocrity.

Ooohhh... Bob Matthews is rolling over in the grave where whatever talent and insight he once had is buried!

The day I take Bob Matthew's opinions on football seriously is the day that I let my daughter have Bratz dolls. That is to say, a cold, cold day in hell.

From HIS perspective, I'd be surprised if he considers himself a "bust". But I'd also be surprised to find out he was pleased that he went ~12 years between starts.

There is no way the Bills don't consider him a bust. Again, you don't draft a guy in the 2nd round to have him carry a clipboard for another team for a decade.

From your perspective, was Mike Williams a bust? He made a few MM.

AVP wasn't a bust, but I'm not certain he was even drafted. AVP over the length of his career had to have made a few MM as well. Had he been a 2nd rounder, then he'd have been a bust. For Collins to not be considered a bust, he should be compared to the Bledsoes of the league, not the AVP's and Gale Gilberts.

Well I guess it comes down to a "performance" bust vs "personal financial" bust. Yeah, MW made a fortune, throw in Rob Johnson too for kicks.

And the Jason Peters episode supports my idea of "making as much as you can"

i think the others missed the sarcasm of that post. :lol:

Agreed, some quarterbacks take several years to "get it". Look at Jacksonville's starting quarterback. Unfortunately, there are usually only two quarterbacks carried on most rosters (with a reciever who played the position in college penciled in as the third quarterback), and first string only practices with first string. Looking back, I have seen many quarterbacks who could have made a large contribution, but due to the system, the coach, and scout's asses on the line for their picks for the draft, they never got a chance. Tom Brady would be in his fourth year of selling insurance, if it wasn't for the hit on Bledsoe.

Jeebuz, Bob Matthews is a bigger knucklehead than some of the ones who post here. I am amazed he writes for areal newspaper.

PTR