Just how good is Jason Peters?

Mickey

Would you like the Bills to make a long term offer to Losman? Please tell the truth. :thumbsup:

No. Probably wouldn't want them to make one to Edwards yet, either. And I definitely wouldn't want them to commit a bunch of $$$ to Peters until they know he's still capable of playing at the level he played before the groin-tear/sports hernia.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!! :w00t:

I missed the Sirius interview with Dockery Bill, what did he mention about how strong Peters is??? On the field, weight room strength,etc.???? I'm just curious, and would like to know how much he works out with in the bench and squat if Dockery mentioned it. I bet Dockery has some pretty good numbers in that department as well........I'd love to be allowed to watch some offseason training sessions with the lineman ( O and D), LBers and RB's.........

Jesus Christ, man. Posting that article in one thread wasn't enough for you? Give it a rest. Nobody wants to lose Peters; some simply believe the tactics utilized by his agent are questionable, and there's nothing wrong with Buffalo wanting to see another year of high quality play before opening the bank vault for the guy.

It's really quite simple, yet some bring so much drama to the table.

see above

No one really knows. Guy hasn't played a down of football since he tore up his groin and suffered a sports hernia.

excactly, his frame may be too small for the amount of weight he's carrying. he may not be the same after this injury and i personally would like to see him play again before he gets paid. i'm sure the bills f.o. would like to see this as well. also, im glad mickey is not in the front office because this franchise would be bankrupt in 3 years and moved to los angelas or toronto. i agree the bills should pay peters more but there are other players that have waited their turn, shown up for work, and should be signed first. i.e. lee evans

Promo, please look at this.

Jake Long signed a 5 year contract for 57 million dollars. No less than 30 million is guaranteed. Do you know what isn't guaranteed? The premise that he will ever be as good as Jason Peters already is. Think about this if you will....he is guaranteed 6 million per season. This is what, about 40% more than Peters will make per season for the next 3 years? The kid has never played a game, and some project him to be more of a right than left tackle.

Now, let's switch gears and look at Melvin Fowler.......He is scheduled to make more than Peters. I watch blockers as much as a person can, and he has never shown me any indication of being more than an average OC. He plays weak Promo. He gets tossed around. He moves well and has good fundamentals, but he isn't strong. Do you think he will ever make the pro-bowl? I mean seriously. :thumbsup:

Dockery is good. Some day (perhaps this season) he might be very good. He calls Jason Peters "the franchise," and talked about how strong Peters is on Sirius. He makes roughly double what Peters is signed for.

I don't like the hold out any more than anybody else. The thing is, he clearly deserves a raise. My gut tells me that if they offer to make him our highest paid blocker, Parker might listen. How about a 6 year deal for 50 million, with 20 million guaranteed? This would be a bargain Promo.....and, it would be good for the Bills, and Bills Fans. If he was a ufa he would get more, but he isn't.

Jason Peters and the Bills (and their great, loyal fans) need each other. Ralph/Brandon's game of hardball is not any more OK than the tactics of Peters/Parker imo. Maybe BOTH sides need to grow up and meet somewhere in the middle as I suggested.

Oh, and please come to 1/5 for the Raider game!!!! :w00t:;)

Bill, what is your point here? You are comparing apples to watermelons here. Jake Long got his contract because he was a #1 pick. That was the number for #1's. God, this is getting ponderous! Here's a suggestion...forget about Peters. Consider him on IR and the Bills are going forward without him. The chips will fall where they will. But one thing will not happen...Peters will not be rewarded for his behavior. The longer this goes, the more likely Peters will never play in the NFL again. The Bills will not trade him. Peters will rot while remaining Bills property.

PTR

Jason Peters could be the best left tackle in the history of the NFL by the time his career ends. Who cares? I'm only interested in when he and his idiot agent decide his career will continue. No matter how selfish, ungrateful and arrogant Peters and Parker are acting, the sooner he gets back into camp the better for the Bills. :thumbsup:

No one really knows. Guy hasn't played a down of football since he tore up his groin and suffered a sports hernia.

Your obsession with this man's groin has got to stop. Don't worry, we all love you and we will get you through this, together.

Jason Peters could be the best left tackle in the history of the NFL by the time his career ends. Who cares? I'm only interested in when he and his idiot agent decide his career will continue. No matter how selfish, ungrateful and arrogant Peters and Parker are acting, the sooner he gets back into camp the better for the Bills. :thumbsup:

Frankly, at this point I would like to lock Parker and Brandon in a room with that pixie guy and not let them out until this is worked out. I think they would reach a deal in seconds.

Bill, what is your point here? You are comparing apples to watermelons here. Jake Long got his contract because he was a #1 pick. That was the number for #1's. God, this is getting ponderous! Here's a suggestion...forget about Peters. Consider him on IR and the Bills are going forward without him. The chips will fall where they will. But one thing will not happen...Peters will not be rewarded for his behavior. The longer this goes, the more likely Peters will never play in the NFL again. The Bills will not trade him. Peters will rot while remaining Bills property.

PTR

I have no crystal ball to see where all this ends up 3 years from now but I am resonably certain that if it came to a choice between trading him or having him waste away at home, the team will trade him. At some point, those picks would be far too valuable to waste over spite.

I also think that however this works out, if he keeps playing as well as he did last year, the team will have to make him close to the highest paid LT in the league or lose him.

I also think this holdout is spilling some bad blood that might not make a difference but will certainly not be helpful. Thankfully, Parker and Peters have kept their mouths shut. I wish Brandon would have done the same instead of all that "track record of silence" stuff and talk about how Jason wasn't "honoring his committment." Even if those remarks were justified as I am sure you think they were, no purpose was being served by making them publicly. They could have sent that message to Peters privately and answered "no comment" to the press.

I have no crystal ball to see where all this ends up 3 years from now but I am resonably certain that if it came to a choice between trading him or having him waste away at home, the team will trade him. At some point, those picks would be far too valuable to waste over spite.

Where this all ends up depends entirely on Peters.

Where this all ends up depends entirely on Peters.

it also depends on Brandon

and thus far he has made it clear, no new deal this year for Peters and his absence from camp isn't the critical factor bescause that wouldn't explain why the team didn't go to him last February as they did with Schobel in 2/07. As has been reported many times, the team insists that he play under his existing contract this year.

next year the situation will be essentially the same except that there will be 2 years left on his contract rather than 3

so, if the team won't give him a new deal this year because they don't have to, why will they give him one next year when again, they won't have to

of course that is only if you accept that Peter has zero leverage as many hereabouts do

sooo, since ralph signs the checks, this isn't asll up to the player, it never is

That there is room for compromise, and that both sides, and more importantly Bills fans could be winners.

The first step towards that goal is for the team to agree that he will get a new deal this year and for Peters to accept that promise to negotiate and come on in to camp. From that point they just have to fire up the fax machines. Once that hurdle is cleared, the numbers will fall into place pretty quickly since I don't really think there is a great deal of disagreement over just how good Jason is. Whatever quibbling there is on that point can be fixed with contingencies and bonuses.

I also think that however this works out, if he keeps playing as well as he did last year, the team will have to make him close to the highest paid LT in the league or lose him.

I also think this holdout is spilling some bad blood that might not make a difference but will certainly not be helpful. Thankfully, Parker and Peters have kept their mouths shut. I wish Brandon would have done the same instead of all that "track record of silence" stuff and talk about how Jason wasn't "honoring his committment." Even if those remarks were justified as I am sure you think they were, no purpose was being served by making them publicly. They could have sent that message to Peters privately and answered "no comment" to the press.

The Player and his Agent can chose to shut their mouth and give a no-comment from their side. It is not easy for an big NFL organization which usually is covered by 100+ reporters/agencies to not having to comment about an issue that has been lingering for months. What do you expect Brandon to say ......

It is not important what has been said...It is importnat what can be done to break the stalemate and move forward. The Bills are in a critical phase during this rebuilding exercise and it is important to not be sidetracked by this issue. Actually, Dick Jauron has done a wonderful job of putting this problem aside and not making Training camp into a Peters Circus. The players have focused on playing the game.

It is the nature of the business....Peters must come into the team in good faith that the Bills will take care of him. The Bills should recognize that Peters is one of the best young LT in the league and pay him accordingly. I hope Peters is grateful that the Bills have stood by him in the last five years and create a positive vibe that he is a team player.

next year the situation will be essentially the same except that there will be 2 years left on his contract rather than 3

...and they'll have seen him play 2 and a half seasons at left tackle, rather than one and a half.

Is it really SO hard to imagine why they're reluctant to make him one of the league's highest paid players after ONE great season? The guy still has quite a bit to prove to earn the money he's likely asking for, in my opinion.

Its not as easy as just saying, "Yeah, lets extend Peters. He deserves more than he's getting, so lets lock him up."

He clearly deserves more than he's getting, but how much more?

The first step towards that goal is for the team to agree that he will get a new deal this year and for Peters to accept that promise to negotiate and come on in to camp. From that point they just have to fire up the fax machines. Once that hurdle is cleared, the numbers will fall into place pretty quickly since I don't really think there is a great deal of disagreement over just how good Jason is. Whatever quibbling there is on that point can be fixed with contingencies and bonuses.

I fully agree Mick!

That there is room for compromise, and that both sides, and more importantly Bills fans could be winners.

Yes but you think its the Bills job to crawl to Peters. Where is the compromise from Peters camp, like speaking to the team?

PTR

Yes but you think its the Bills job to crawl to Peters. Where is the compromise from Peters camp, like speaking to the team?

PTR

If you belive what the Bills have said, they will not talk until Peters reports.

Peters camp seems willing to talk ... about a new contract.

If both sides are dug in, what is there to talk about?

The Bills would rather let Peters sit than comprimise thier 'principles'. NFL success is measured in 2 ways, wins and $.

The Bills have been profitable under Brandon, so Russ Brandon will be a hero when Chambers, Bell and/or some scrub off the waiver wire are the starting tackles on the 7th.

Let's just forget about games and root for the front office. I hope we can be the most profitable team in the NFL this year. Our debt to revenue ratio is one of the best in the NFL, we may have a chance. I'll bet the 10 mil we save on not giving Peters a signing bonus could put us over the top.

If you belive what the Bills have said, they will not talk until Peters reports.

Peters camp seems willing to talk ... about a new contract.

If both sides are dug in, what is there to talk about?

The Bills would rather let Peters sit than comprimise thier 'principles'. NFL success is measured in 2 ways, wins and $.

The Bills have been profitable under Brandon, so Russ Brandon will be a hero when Chambers, Bell and/or some scrub off the waiver wire are the starting tackles on the 7th.

Let's just forget about games and root for the front office. I hope we can be the most profitable team in the NFL this year. Our debt to revenue ratio is one of the best in the NFL, we may have a chance. I'll bet the 10 mil we save on not giving Peters a signing bonus could put us over the top.

Man you are waaayyy off the mark with that post. The Peters situation isn't about saving the Bills money. In case you missed it the NFL has a salary cap and teams, even the Bills, spend up to it. This is about rewarding a player who has taken a "f*** you" position toward his team and teammates. The Bills are reworking a deal for Evans. Crowell will be getting a deal too. Kelsay got deal. Schobel got a deal. Butler got a deal. All these players show up and play. They talk to the Bills. They show respect.

Peters has not spoke to the Bills since his injury-ending surgery. He has not come to any OTA's or camp. From what we hear, neither he or his agent has even uttered the words" I want a new deal" to the Bills! This behavior to a team that has treated Peters well since they gave him a shot.

So if you are trying to build a team mentality, why do you reward someone who is selfish and is showing no respect to his team or teammates? No one denies Peters deserves a raise. But if you roll over for players who still have 3 years on their contracts then you can expect half your roster to start holding out.

This entire hold out can be blamed on Peters new agent Eugene Parker. Parker needs to get Peters a new deal or else he doesn't make any money off him. But Parker totally overplayed his hand. he assumed the Bills (like you and some other posters) would curl up into a fetal position over Peters holding out. But instead the rest of the team has picked up the slack. So what leverage does Peters have now? Zippo. He can show up or he can lose 3.5 million dollars. His choice.

PTR

Man you are waaayyy off the mark with that post. The Peters situation isn't about saving the Bills money. In case you missed it the NFL has a salary cap and teams, even the Bills, spend up to it. This is about rewarding a player who has taken a "f*** you" position toward his team and teammates. The Bills are reworking a deal for Evans. Crowell will be getting a deal too. Kelsay got deal. Schobel got a deal. Butler got a deal. All these players show up and play. They talk to the Bills. They show respect.

Peters has not spoke to the Bills since his injury-ending surgery. He has not come to any OTA's or camp. From what we hear, neither he or his agent has even uttered the words" I want a new deal" to the Bills! This behavior to a team that has treated Peters well since they gave him a shot.

So if you are trying to build a team mentality, why do you reward someone who is selfish and is showing no respect to his team or teammates? No one denies Peters deserves a raise. But if you roll over for players who still have 3 years on their contracts then you can expect half your roster to start holding out.

This entire hold out can be blamed on Peters new agent Eugene Parker. Parker needs to get Peters a new deal or else he doesn't make any money off him. But Parker totally overplayed his hand. he assumed the Bills (like you and some other posters) would curl up into a fetal position over Peters holding out. But instead the rest of the team has picked up the slack. So what leverage does Peters have now? Zippo. He can show up or he can lose 3.5 million dollars. His choice.

PTR

C2C is an effective means of fooling fans into thinking the team is devoting max financial resources toward player salaries. They're not, but obviously enough buy that they are. The Bills have about 19M in cap room remaining, though the team's budget probably doesn't call for them to move any closer to the cap, save for an Evans extension which won't get them to within 5M of that figure. Parker knows this (and represents enough guys already to have a high salary) and so Peters doesn't show.

It's you who is off-base, especially citing small deals and of all contracts, Schobel's. The Bills have proven that it will take an awful lot to renegotiate a deal, but come on. Every guy on that team knows why Peters is holding out, and no one's said he's a bad teammate. Only you and message board posters are pushing this ridiculous opinion. No one said anything anti-Schobel when he missed OTA's in pursuit of a new deal.

Peters has more leverage than you think, given the dearth of great LT's, his youth, and unlimited potential. This is not a Schobel thing, who was nearly 30 when he got his new deal. This isn't a mini-deal like K. Williams, Parrish, and Butler received for being average to decent starters.

I'm not happy he's not there, especially after tonight, but don't belittle a pro athlete who had the motivation to want to play, regardless of position and now has the ability to get more money. If you were promoted to a new hugely responsible job, you'd want to be paid more too. Stop being so obtuse.

Man you are waaayyy off the mark with that post. The Peters situation isn't about saving the Bills money.

I was trying to show how dumb it is to root for a front office. I do not think the Bills' 'no report-no contract' stance is a way to win games. If the Bills are willing to rework the deal, why didn't they start talking before camp and prevent this from getting out of hand.

If there has been no contact between the Bills and Peters' agent, does anyone even know why he's holding out? If it is anything other than a contract, then Peters is a flake. If Peters is the next Ricky Williams, why didn't the Bills look for a tackle in the off-season.

I was trying to show how dumb it is to root for a front office. I do not think the Bills' 'no report-no contract' stance is a way to win games. If the Bills are willing to rework the deal, why didn't they start talking before camp and prevent this from getting out of hand.

If there has been no contact between the Bills and Peters' agent, does anyone even know why he's holding out? If it is anything other than a contract, then Peters is a flake. If Peters is the next Ricky Williams, why didn't the Bills look for a tackle in the off-season.

Peters has been out of football for a long time. He had surgery. Peters stock is dropping like a stone. Buffalo's O line in the last 2 games looks better than it has since the super bowl teams. I do not want to see this chemistry destroyed by a talented but selfish player.

I think it's 50 -50 that Peters may be done with football.

Peters has been out of football for a long time. He had surgery. Peters stock is dropping like a stone. Buffalo's O line in the last 2 games looks better than it has since the super bowl teams. I do not want to see this chemistry destroyed by a talented but selfish player.

I think it's 50 -50 that Peters may be done with football.

I don't know that I'd carry it to those extremes, but there's certainly something to be said for two consecutive strong showings by the Bills' "ones" on offense in just slightly more than a half's worth of work -- three TDs and one FG, including a jaw-dropping 90+ yard, ten minute affair last night.

I'm not happy he's not there, especially after tonight, but don't belittle a pro athlete who had the motivation to want to play, regardless of position and now has the ability to get more money. If you were promoted to a new hugely responsible job, you'd want to be paid more too. Stop being so obtuse.

I don't think he was belittling the effect of Peters in the Bills line up. It is the way he has approached this whole problem has been the biggest problem for the Bills to deal with. If Peters reports to camp and says I would like to negotiate and if the Bills offered him a look at the negotiation in good faith for reporting to camp, this would have been fine.

Your every day experience is a little off. If you are offered a higher, better and demanding position and your salary is not bumped, what do the majority folks do. Sit at home and wait for the salary to be bumped up ? No...we grudgingly will work and let the employer know that you need to be paid on par for the new job and the employer will then take care of it down the road. I have not heard of people sitting at home and refusing to report to work because their pay is not taken care of.

Is there nothing wrong with the team pursuing a course that will eventually cost us this player? I think he has certainly proved his worth already. One pro bowl year and some proof that he woudl have made it the year before despite playing 1/2 the year on the right side if he hadn't have been such an unknown. (See Peter Kings 2007 ballot and what Ryan had to say to McNally when he saw Peters' tape after he already turned in his ballot). If it was a choice between losing him and paying him now, what woud you choose? Screw him over now and sooner or later, he will bolt as soon as he can. At the very least, he would be gone after this contract and though 3 years might seem like a long time, he has a lot more than 3 years of football left in him.

Maybe you have missed the "Peters is a selfish peckerhead, screw we don't need him, he isn't all that good, etc." posts that are all over the board. I haven't. This post is a response to that stuff and if it bothers you, a good solution might be to not read it.

Mickey are you really Jason Peters crashing our board????????

Peters has not spoke to the Bills since his injurycareer-ending surgery. He has not come to any OTA's or camp. From what we hear, neither he or his agent has even uttered the words" I want a new deal" to the Bills! This behavior to a team that has treated Peters well since they gave him a shot.

PTR

Fixed it for you, PTR. Other than that 'typo', you are spot-on & I agree with everything you say.

(EDIT: Looking more & more like guy will never play another down of football, so maybe he can sue his surgeon for big $$$$ - does Parker make anything off that?)