Speeding ticket while on vacation in another state

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Anyone with experience along these lines?

:blink: cops...

My gut says no that I think all staes now have reciprocity, so that NY will suspend your license for not paying an IL. ticket.

Now, I would think if you were in canada, throw the fugger in the trash and fugget about it

It would depend on the states involved, but its very likely that your state and the state in which you got the ticket have reciprocal agreements to go after people who don't pay up. If the 2 states border each other it's a pretty good bet they have angreement. Unfortunately, technology has made this stuff easier for states to track and enforce - when it was all done via paper and snail mail it wasn't worth the hassle, but now that everything is computerized its easy.

I know in my state if I ignore a ticket from another state that has an agreement with MA nobody will come after me, but I won't be able to reregister my car when I need to (and if I go back to the other state I could actually be arrested if I blew off the ticket and a bench warrant was issued).

Good luck.

Not anymore. I could tell about 10 stories. Also, pay with a credit card or check and keep the canceled one until you friggin' die. NYS tried to screw my son 5 YEARS after his ticket.

New York's renown for that. They're still trying to get me to pay income tax from 1998 on the theory that since they suspended a driver's license I didn't have for not having insurance on a car I no longer owned in a state I no longer lived, I must have been a resident.

Pay it or show up and contest it. Don't just throw it out. A parking ticket maybe, but not a moving violation. You would probably end up with a warrant for a stupid traffic offense which could bite you in the a$$ some day.

Can I guess first?

I'm guessing Ohio.

If it were Ohio, I'd say pay the ticket, keep your ticket copy until you die, and have it buried with you. :blink:

In all seriousness, don't ignore a traffic ticket. You could wind up with a license suspension, which can only lead to more problems and higher insurance rates.

I was clocked doing 52 in a 35. We were 1 mile from where we were going after an hours drive and the kids were screaming 'WHEN ARE WE GONNA BE THERE?!?!?!?' It opened up to 2 lanes and I must've unconsciously sped up...

The cop said he did me a favor and wrote it as not obeying a traffic device instead of speeding. He said it saved me points and $80, but they still want $120.

And it was in Florida...

My gut says no that I think all staes now have reciprocity, so that NY will suspend your license for not paying an IL. ticket.

Now, I would think if you were in canada, throw the fugger in the trash and fugget about it

Maybe between IL and NYS... Aren't they linked up now with EZ-Pass and I-Pass on the tollways/Thruway?

Twenty years ago in Banff... A friend of mine got a ticket on Monday heading up to Lake Louise and another ticket on Thursday heading to Sunshine... For the second ticket he used his brother's name (said he forgot his license)... YES! He impersonated his older brother! You know what? It was the same freakin' cop!... Obvioulsy, the cop had to be stopping so many people that week, he forgot to even remember his face!!!

I still have the picture of us sitting in the rental car we had that week holding up the two tickets and the two different names...

I think he blew those Alberta tickets off...

I always thought that he mind get red-flagged someday crossing the border? Wouldn't that suck now that he has a wife and kids... Can a 20 year bench warrant still exist?

???

New York's renown for that. They're still trying to get me to pay income tax from 1998 on the theory that since they suspended a driver's license I didn't have for not having insurance on a car I no longer owned in a state I no longer lived, I must have been a resident.

On another note...

NYS is funny... They track the title of vehicles by VIN... That is your title number... Now the thing is, let your insurance lapse and say get in a accident and they stick your car in "purgatory" for sometime and IT CAN'T EVEN BE SOLD OR REGISTERED IN NYS! Like the car committed the act? :blink:

The thing to do is clear the title by selling/swapping out of state... I swapped a car with my sister because she would have had to let the car sit for 18 months...

Maybe between IL and NYS... Aren't they linked up now with EZ-Pass and I-Pass on the tollways/Thruway?

Twenty years ago in Banff... A friend of mine got a ticket on Monday heading up to Lake Louise and another ticket on Thursday heading to Sunshine... For the second ticket he used his brother's name (said he forgot his license)... YES! He impersonated his older brother! You know what? It was the same freakin' cop!... Obvioulsy, the cop had to be stopping so many people that week, he forgot to even remember his face!!!

I still have the picture of us sitting in the rental car we had that week holding up the two tickets and the two different names...

I think he blew those Alberta tickets off...

I always thought that he mind get red-flagged someday crossing the border? Wouldn't that suck now that he has a wife and kids... Can a 20 year bench warrant still exist?

???

IIRC a bench warrant is only valid for 5 years

I was clocked doing 52 in a 35. We were 1 mile from where we were going after an hours drive and the kids were screaming 'WHEN ARE WE GONNA BE THERE?!?!?!?' It opened up to 2 lanes and I must've unconsciously sped up...

The cop said he did me a favor and wrote it as not obeying a traffic device instead of speeding. He said it saved me points and $80, but they still want $120.

And it was in Florida...

Pay it. They will hound you and your insurance company will not be happy either.

And it was in Florida...

Take it out of the kid's allowance and tell them they aren't getting any points :blink:

And it was in Florida...

NYS does not record moving violations from other states. Which means it won't show up on your official driving record and you won't lose any points. However, the NYS DMV will suspend your license if you fail to respond or pay an out of state ticket.

Simple solution, don’t pay the ticket, but hold onto it. If the state that you got the ticket in has an agreement with NY in 6 to 12 months you will get a notice of a pending suspension. If you do get the suspension notice pay the ticket before the suspension date no harm done just out the money with no points given. If you do not hear from NY within the year you’re in the clear.

My understanding is that NYS is "in negotiations" with several states but they don't use it against you yet....

The insurance companies are pushing for it because they can up your insurance the more tickets you have. Its coming eventually.....

I got one last year in WV and paid it over the internet by cc. Just pay it and you won't have anything hanging over your head. If you drive in that state (not drunken) again and don't pay it you risk getting thrown in jail if you get pulled over also (I think).

Pay it and sleep easy......the end.

PA is the only state that I am aware of that NY will assess point for speeding. Special agreement

umm... i didn't get any points last year when i got nailed for going 81 in a 65 i took over 6 months to pay them off and didn't get anything from the state either. the only reason i paid it off is because i am going into teaching, and can't have any loose ends like that.

Simple solution, don’t pay the ticket, but hold onto it. If the state that you got the ticket in has an agreement with NY in 6 to 12 months you will get a notice of a pending suspension. If you do get the suspension notice pay the ticket before the suspension date no harm done just out the money with no points given. If you do not hear from NY within the year you’re in the clear.

Usually fines increase if you default and don't pay the ticket by the due date. So, this suggestion above may work, but it may cost you a lot more than the original $120.

I dunno man. When I left GA in 1995, I left behind three tickets. Nothing ever came of it, and after doing some research about it last year, it seems that the statute of limitations has run out. Too bad for GA.

:worthy:

Statute of Limitations does not run once a person is charged with a crime. If you are charged, and flee, then the charge is valid until you are caught.

an example:

Crime - Burglary

Statute of Limitations - 7 years

The police/prosecutor has 7 years from the date of the burglary to charge someone with the crime. Once the person is charged, then the statute of limitation tolls.

You got tickets in 1995 for something you did in 1995. The statute of limitation on those offenses tolled as soon as you got the ticket. Now, if the cop gave you a ticket in 1995 for something you did in 1986, you may have something......

There was actually a case in New York (I think Rochester) where the prosecutor indicted a mans DNA signature for a series of rapes where they did not know the individuals identity except that they had his DNA. They indicted the DNA right before the 7 year statute of limitation had run out. Something like 10 years after the crime, the guy gets arrested down south and has his DNA taken..... and ...... he ends up on trial in NY for the rape he committed more that 10 years ago.

Usually fines increase if you default and don't pay the ticket by the due date. So, this suggestion above may work, but it may cost you a lot more than the original $120.

Good point. I have always either pleaded guilty or got it reduced first, that way it locks in the cost of the ticket. I don’t pay them right away or never in the case of an out of state ticket. No one has every tried to tack on a late fee just a lot of letters which I ignore until they go away or pay if I get a suspension notice from my state. Parking tickets are a different story, if you do not pay it they will continue to assess a penalty, I don’t get it?

In 1987 I got a speeding ticket near Flagstaff, AZ for going 98MPH. I pleaded not guilty skipped the trail date and a guilty judgment was entered in and the fine sent to me. I never paid it. I still get a letter from them every 5 years to pay it and the fine has never increased. Been to AZ since then and even got pulled over, the cop never mentioned the unpaid ticket. I guess once the state has a pled of guilty it satisfies the interest of the court but not the treasury. There’s no debtors prison.

umm... i didn't get any points last year when i got nailed for going 81 in a 65 i took over 6 months to pay them off and didn't get anything from the state either. the only reason i paid it off is because i am going into teaching, and can't have any loose ends like that.

best to keep your end wrapped up tight :worthy:

And it was in Florida...

Pay the nice man. It sucks, but it's the right thing to do. :(

Statute of Limitations does not run once a person is charged with a crime. If you are charged, and flee, then the charge is valid until you are caught.

an example:

Crime - Burglary

Statute of Limitations - 7 years

The police/prosecutor has 7 years from the date of the burglary to charge someone with the crime. Once the person is charged, then the statute of limitation tolls.

You got tickets in 1995 for something you did in 1995. The statute of limitation on those offenses tolled as soon as you got the ticket. Now, if the cop gave you a ticket in 1995 for something you did in 1986, you may have something......

There was actually a case in New York (I think Rochester) where the prosecutor indicted a mans DNA signature for a series of rapes where they did not know the individuals identity except that they had his DNA. They indicted the DNA right before the 7 year statute of limitation had run out. Something like 10 years after the crime, the guy gets arrested down south and has his DNA taken..... and ...... he ends up on trial in NY for the rape he committed more that 10 years ago.

Wrong terminology:

The bench warrant EXPIRES after 5 years, if I'm not mistaken.