Giants interested in McGahee?

If the Giants give up a 1st for a slightly above-average RB with one year remaining on his contract, then they are idiots.

The Giants feel that they are one player away. They need a proven RB, quickly, to replace Tiki. This was a playoff team. Willis has played well against the Giants and Jets. Willis wants to be in a spotlight city. The Shockey connection helps. The Giants' #1 is in the lower third of the round. There isn't a player they can take down there who will help them as much as McGahee next year. And, they wouldn't make the trade unless they had already negotiated a contract extension with him. The trade makes sense. We all feel that the Giants are giving up too much, but draft picks just aren't as highly valued by some organizations - especially big-market, win-now teams like the Giants and Redskins.

The game is A LOT different for running backs. Bear in mind the following:

Marshall Faulk was traded to the Rams for a 2nd and a 5th. He was very young and in his prime.

Travis Henry was traded to the Titans for a 3rd. He was recently removed from a Pro Bowl.

Corey Dillon was traded to the Pats for a 2nd. Again, he was extremely productive and a top 8 back.

If the Bills fetch a first rounder for Willis after the sub-par season he just had, I would be very very impressed.

The Giants feel that they are one player away. They need a proven RB, quickly, to replace Tiki. This was a playoff team. Willis has played well against the Giants and Jets. Willis wants to be in a spotlight city. The Shockey connection helps. The Giants' #1 is in the lower third of the round. There isn't a player they can take down there who will help them as much as McGahee next year. And, they wouldn't make the trade unless they had already negotiated a contract extension with him. The trade makes sense. We all feel that the Giants are giving up too much, but draft picks just aren't as highly valued by some organizations - especially big-market, win-now teams like the Giants and Redskins.

They would be nuts to give up that much for Willis. They are probably using his name to get Thomas Jones at a better price. I'd take Jones over Willis anyday. Like others have said though, I think Marv has enough to deal with and too many holes to fill to open another. I do hope that Marv surprises me though.

Hmmm.... no one here predicted that....

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry879463

Excellent vision; a man who understands that importance of dumping that 3rd string RB Willis.

Note: For Giants management and fans - translation: "A fine player who excells in tough situations; jauron many times can be seen lip synching the phrase "Money, Money" when willis completes a 3rd and 1 down. He is an outstanding member of the city and we are very heart broken to see a fine individual like willis leaving; Our loss is your gain.

Now about that 1st round draft pick ........(dancing all the way to the draft).

Willis is more of a dancer type that would fill the absence of Tiki easier for the OL than jones who is more north & south;less adjustment for OL.

Agree completely TOM in Giant land can't keep his one year contract job on the back of a rookie; needs someone more experienced. It's all about saving TOM's job LOLOLOL.

What a great day today in bills land!!!!!!

Willis has played well against the Giants and Jets.

The last time the Bills played the Giants was McGahee's rookie year and he didnt play that year so Willis has never played against the Giants

I doubt the Giants would give up their first for Willis but I would be happy with their second...Willis is an average RB and will want to be paid like the best after this season so he wont be with the Bills past this season anyway so a second would be fine with me

If the Giants offered a 2nd or better, I'd make the trade.

They're going to draft a RB in R2 or 3 and that rookie RB is likely to see significant playing time even if McGahee is on the team. In that sense, trading McGahee doesn't open up much of a hole at the position. It would, however, pay for the day 1 pick they'll likely use at the position anyway.

My plan at RB if McGahee were traded would be to draft a RB in R2, re-sign Anthony Thomas, and add an inexpensive FA such as Musa Smith to a one or two year contract. Smith gives them another talented prospect to compete against the rookie, while Anthony Thomas gives them a marginal starter in a worst case scenario. At the very least, I think they could match the 1500 yards the Bills rushing attack managed last year.

Would anyone be willing to take a 2nd round pick for Willis?

What are the Giants going to do with Brandon Jacobs? :worthy:

They are keeping Jacobs, but behind him they don't have anyone who can start.

I think from the Giants perspective they wouldn't give up more than a #2 since McGahee is going to have to agree to a new contract since he's in his last year with Buffalo.

They would be nuts to give up that much for Willis. They are probably using his name to get Thomas Jones at a better price. I'd take Jones over Willis anyday. Like others have said though, I think Marv has enough to deal with and too many holes to fill to open another. I do hope that Marv surprises me though.

Actually, I do not think that the Giants are offering enough if all they will give up for an NFL starting RB (even one who definitely disappointed with his sub 1000 yard production) is a 1st round pick. Whether it is due to wishful thinking or the over attention spawned by the cherry-picking inherent in fantasy leagues many fans simply over-value the draft.

Good players have to to come from somewhere and good players tend to be drafted. However the reality simply is the draft is a crapshoot and trading away an NFL starter even for a 1st rounder is way too risky a proposition (and a foolish one at that) for most GMs when they would need this first rounder to start in the NFL immediately.

Yes, it is true that quality NFL starters at RB are easier to find even in the late rounds than NFL starters at other positions. However, folks need to understand that the FACTs also say that a team would be taking a big time risk (which I have not run the numbers so please feel free to do so if anyone wants to is likely to fail for finding a credible starting RB for 2007 from even a 1st round pick).

I am sure folks will be happy to pull out the odd example of a #5 drafted Edgerrin James or a 7th round pick Terrell Davis and then same that clearly and absolutely Marv should just get er done.

However, if you want to site a particular example as somehow proof that this would be a good move then please also site the example of a stud like Larry Johnson whom if the Bills drafted someone who ends up being as good as this stud it means he gains about 500 yards in his SECOND year and this first round replacement for Willis 950 yards would gain about 100 his first year.

It strikes me also as silly to turn the starting RB job over to Thomas since last year was a banner year for him since for the very first time in his 7 year career (over the average length of career for an NFL RB and come mid-season he moves onto the wrong side of 30) he actually merely played in (not to mentioning starting which is a feat he has never come close to pulling off) 16 games.

The last time he produced even 1000 yards rushing in a season was 2005 and his best year was when he gained 1100 as a rookie. His paltry 3.5 yards per carry does not even compare favorably to WM's disappointing 3.8 yards per carry last year.

There is no good reason to think he would be a reasonable starter for us and some very nice sub work for WM last year was simply that some very nice sub work and I am very happy with him as #2.

Its hard for me to see how the Golden Boys who have an uncertain number of years left would be such silly high rollers as to bank on a 1st round draft pick to be our #1 RB and if I was JP Losman I would be pissed if they did this as even if the pick turned out to be one of the stud rushers, my guess is that I am gonna have to run for my life quite a bit while this rookie learns how to do blitz pick-up.

A first round choice is not a good option for us for our #1 RB.

There is no way on God's Green Earth that the giants will give us a 1st round pick for Willis.

You people are smoking the good schit.

As Jauron733 pointed out, the Seahawks just gave the Pats for a 1st round pick for Branch, who never had a 1,000 yard season and has trouble staying healthy. This is on top of having a solid #1 in Jackson, paying a boatload of money for Burleson, and a solid #3 in Engram. So stranger things have happened.

Look at it from the Giant's perspective. Part of the rest a lot of Bills fans feel in love with Willis (not me, I was always a Henry guy :worthy: ) is a) how he looks in pads and b) how great of a college player he was. Willis missed a 1,000 yard season by 10 yards this year or else he would have had his 3rd 1,000+ season in 3 years. He's only 25 and people in NYC could care less about how he talks about Buffalo. The Giants just lost their marquee player, who blamed their head coach as part of the reason he retired. What better why to make a splash than acquired a flashy type player. Honestly on the Giants end, it would make a lot of sense.

If the Giants give up a 1st for a slightly above-average RB with one year remaining on his contract, then they are idiots.

WTF??????????????? slightly above average????? Dude, you are so overstating this bum. He holds a career 3.9 per carry avg. The NFL average is 4.0. He hasn't even achieved "average".

1st round pick? Are you insane?? If the Giants gave up a tee shirt and coffee mug it would be too much for this "do nothing" bum.

I'd take nothing less than a 2nd and a 5th (since we don't have one), or their 1st with us giving them our 4th. Before even signing a contract extention McGahee would be theirs for at least 2 seasons (his final year and then being able to use the franchise tag). If they really want him then they'll make the deal. If they haggle to much then the Bills should just tell them to go fish.

The Bills are holding all the cards here because keeping McGahee for another season beats making a crap deal with the Giants any day of the week. Marv's a smart man, so I have faith in the Bills getting what they want if a deal is made.

WTF??????????????? slightly above average????? Dude, you are so overstating this bum. He holds a career 3.9 per carry avg. The NFL average is 4.0. He hasn't even achieved "average".

1st round pick? Are you insane?? If the Giants gave up a tee shirt and coffee mug it would be too much for this "do nothing" bum.

Who says 4 yards is the league average? You?

Would he magically become above average if he averaged 4.1 yards a carry?

McGahee could be a lot better, but NFL teams know he's a player with great capability. Calling him a bum is quite extreme if you ask me.

Pyrite Gal is right, with all the needs this team has I don't believe drafting a 1st round running back to start for us is the answer to the team's failures.

If Marv can convince the Giants to give up a 1st round pick for Willis then he is the best GM in the league, hands down! A fourth round pick is more likely what they'd be offering. I'd take a 3rd round pick for him quite honestly. You can get the same production from a 3-4th round guy that you got this year. If Willis does stay I bet he does have a better year b/c it is a contract year for him.