Lost S3 Discussion Thread

linksfiend

The ep everyone's been waiting for is on tonight.

From the previews (and therefore, not a spoiler), it looks as if Kate's rescue mission is a day late and a dollar short --- the Others are going to let Jack get off the island/go home (not sure how this would happen... "Hey everybody, I was in a plane crash, and now I'm home! I'm sure none of you have any questions...."). Probably why he was yukking it up playing football last week. He says to Kate that he will come back for her.

But, more than that, answers about what happened to Locke.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

Total surprise w/ Locke's dad pushing him out the window. (Notice the brand of Scotch, btw?) An 8-story fall onto his back --- yet another injury/situation where one of the Lostaways should have died and... somehow... didn't. It's interesting re: the conversation b/w Locke and Ben that the island's healing properties aren't working anymore for Ben. Is there an expiration date? Ben is a manipulator, Alex sez. Whoopidy gee, there's something we didn't know. But it's just the way he manipulates people. Master psychologist.

But other than that, Locke's father is there, supposedly from the 'magic box' (along with all of the previous box imagery) where you can open it and whatever you want is inside... That box has been working overtime, it seems, and may not be confined to a 'box' per se, but the whole island, where if you're thinking about something enough, something will show up from that situation (usually has been an animal) either in waking life or dreams. I bet this has something to do with the monster; that its like an... etheral computer that can download people's memories so the Others can use that information.

And what the hell was that b/w Jack and Kate? There's just an air that he does care deeply for her, but on the other hand, he wouldn't tell her jacksh-- then closes the door and says "I wish you hadn't come." What's the difference whether he comes back for her later or if he's there now? Is he going to bring an army or something? Pretty much everything that is needed to defeat the Others, if indeed they need to be defeated, is on the island.

But that brings me to another thing following from whether they need to be defeated... so, we know the Others can travel back in time (the Desmond ep) and there's the whole theory that things will happen as they were meant to happen (with various ways of being done... but it will still happen. Take that any way you want. God's hand, hard determinism, free will or compatibilism), what makes anyone so uncertain that they can't also travel into the future? Perhaps they are the 'good guys.' Perhaps they are trying to avert an apocalypse.

Wow.

Total surprise w/ Locke's dad pushing him out the window. (Notice the brand of Scotch, btw?) An 8-story fall onto his back --- yet another injury/situation where one of the Lostaways should have died and... somehow... didn't. It's interesting re: the conversation b/w Locke and Ben that the island's healing properties aren't working anymore for Ben. Is there an expiration date? Ben is a manipulator, Alex sez. Whoopidy gee, there's something we didn't know. But it's just the way he manipulates people. Master psychologist.

But other than that, Locke's father is there, supposedly from the 'magic box' (along with all of the previous box imagery) where you can open it and whatever you want is inside... That box has been working overtime, it seems, and may not be confined to a 'box' per se, but the whole island, where if you're thinking about something enough, something will show up from that situation (usually has been an animal) either in waking life or dreams. I bet this has something to do with the monster; that its like an... etheral computer that can download people's memories so the Others can use that information.

And what the hell was that b/w Jack and Kate? There's just an air that he does care deeply for her, but on the other hand, he wouldn't tell her jacksh-- then closes the door and says "I wish you hadn't come." What's the difference whether he comes back for her later or if he's there now? Is he going to bring an army or something? Pretty much everything that is needed to defeat the Others, if indeed they need to be defeated, is on the island.

But that brings me to another thing following from whether they need to be defeated... so, we know the Others can travel back in time (the Desmond ep) and there's the whole theory that things will happen as they were meant to happen (with various ways of being done... but it will still happen. Take that any way you want. God's hand, hard determinism, free will or compatibilism), what makes anyone so uncertain that they can't also travel into the future? Perhaps they are the 'good guys.' Perhaps they are trying to avert an apocalypse.

you do an awful lot of thinking about this...

It's interesting re: the conversation b/w Locke and Ben that the island's healing properties aren't working anymore for Ben. Is there an expiration date?

Ben claimed he was born on the island so maybe he is immune to it's healing powers...at least that is my thought.

you do an awful lot of thinking about this...

Well, to compensate, I spend no time thinking about Anna Nicole Smith or Tom Cruise. <_<

Ben claimed he was born on the island so maybe he is immune to it's healing powers...at least that is my thought.

Didn't get the impression that he was immune. But when Locke said something about Ben not healing as fast anymore, or about the cancer growing in the first place.... Ben was petty quieted by that, when his natural inclination is to interject some cunning response. Seemed to me like he knew Locke had hit the nail on the head. Not saying that Ben was surprised by some revelation --- he knows the 'island's healing power' isn't working anymore --- just that Locke had rooted it out so quickly. But then again, Locke knows by experience that what the island giveth the island can taketh away.

Wow.

Another note, I think the writers are hinting that Jack's father might be indeed the real Sawyer, ie the con man that James patterned himself off of.

In terms of the Jack-Kate dynamic have you ever heard the quote, "“If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn't, then it was never meant to be.” Jack now knows that Kate loves him and was going to save her if had the chance to get off the island but that's now appears to have gone away with the clever Mr. Locke.

I say Mr. Locke and not using his first name as am seriously not liking him like Michael didn't in the original season of the show. As he is showing to be more and more involved in his personal self interest and less for the greater good. Of course his back story is so intrigung it's hard to not like him.

Which reminds me one thing I'm waiting for is an appearance by Walt and Michael and/or Bernard and Rose who almost seem like after thoughts right now but doesn't appear that will happen any time soon from the previews for next week unless of course Bernard or Rose are one of the lostaways that happens to die next week.

Another note, I think the writers are hinting that Jack's father might be indeed the real Sawyer, ie the con man that James patterned himself off of.

In terms of the Jack-Kate dynamic have you ever heard the quote, "“If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn't, then it was never meant to be.” Jack now knows that Kate loves him and was going to save her if had the chance to get off the island but that's now appears to have gone away with the clever Mr. Locke.

I say Mr. Locke and not using his first name as am seriously not liking him like Michael didn't in the original season of the show. As he is showing to be more and more involved in his personal self interest and less for the greater good. Of course his back story is so intrigung it's hard to not like him.

Which reminds me one thing I'm waiting for is an appearance by Walt and Michael and/or Bernard and Rose who almost seem like after thoughts right now but doesn't appear that will happen any time soon from the previews for next week unless of course Bernard or Rose are one of the lostaways that happens to die next week.

1) D you mean that Locke's father will turn out to be the original Sawyer?

2) I'd say that quote gets a little dicey when the loved person lives on 'mystery frickin' island' and literally has a gun to her head. Sorry, but Jack was such a flake right there.

3) Wouldn't say that I don't like Locke. As the saying goes, he "is what he is." Brings a certain dynamic to the show, and if you believe the mumbo-jumbo, all of his actions are necessary. This is a man who has gotten jobbed SO much, it's hard not to feel some pity for him and some respect for that now that he's in his element, he's going after what he believes.

4) I believe that Walt and Michael will be back, maybe in the season finale, maybe next season, but they will be back. As for Bernard&Rose, their story as it relates to the island seemed to be wrapped up --- they're staying.

i dont think the Island is losing its power, or that it expires. i think it only helps you if you live properly on it. what "properly" is, i dont know. but Locke did point out that the Others were going about it all wrong. and that they shouldnt be living in the barracks. i think you need to be living off the island, out in the jungle, and let the Island provide for you.

the Dharma Initiative was there in the late-70s to early-80s. Ben was surely born before that, so we know that his people were there before Dharma, and were living in the wilderness. they then defeated Dharma and ran them off the Island. THEN they moved in to the barracks right around the time Alex was born, 16 years ago.

they need to forget "our society" and get back into the Island. they are trying too hard to keep a foot in the "real world" therefore, the Island powers do not work for them.

if the Island is indeed in some other realm, some other dimension.. then given Ben's penchant for manipulation and the fact that he refers to them as "his people", and that he is the only one left that was born on the Island... it almost seems like he is the last of some Cult that somehow back in the day ACTUALLY DID MANAGE to transcend and reach this place...

Mikahl did say that you have to be recruited.

I love the show but the amount of conjecture going in this thread is reaching new heights.

...and to think, the people on the Lost message boards are 1000 times worse.

also, i dontknow if anyone caught Charlies middle name, Hieronymous. besides being the Latin form of Jerome, and Geronimo, and being Latin for "the sacred name"

the most famous Hieronymous was Hieronymous Bosch, a Dutch painter who live until 1516(the middle 2 numbers 4,8,15,16,23,42).

he has some famous paintings that could easily be tied into the series:

The Garden of Earthly Delights is a 3-panel triptych with images from the Garden of Eden, Eccelsia's Paradise, and Hell. When the panels are SHUT the show a glass snowglobe with the inscriptions "Beware, Beware, God is watching". much like all the "watching" done by the others.

MORE IMPORTANTLY! we have this:

The Seven Deadly Sins and The Last Four Things is THE painting that Locke sees painted when he got trapped under the first hatch door and the lights went out. the interesting thing is that in the Bosch painting the center is Jesus. on the show there was a "?" in the middle.

also, i dontknow if anyone caught Charlies middle name, Hieronymous. besides being the Latin form of Jerome, and Geronimo, and being Latin for "the sacred name"

the most famous Hieronymous was Hieronymous Bosch, a Dutch painter who live until 1516(the middle 2 numbers 4,8,15,16,23,42).

he has some famous paintings that could easily be tied into the series:

The Garden of Earthly Delights is a 3-panel triptych with images from the Garden of Eden, Eccelsia's Paradise, and Hell. When the panels are SHUT the show a glass snowglobe with the inscriptions "Beware, Beware, God is watching". much like all the "watching" done by the others.

MORE IMPORTANTLY! we have this:

The Seven Deadly Sins and The Last Four Things is THE painting that Locke sees painted when he got trapped under the first hatch door and the lights went out. the interesting thing is that in the Bosch painting the center is Jesus. on the show there was a "?" in the middle.

Nice extra-textuals. That's the thing about the show --- they pull in so much stuff from so many sources and connect it all together. Not knowing about it doesn't really lessen the show, but finding out about all the intricacies shows how much research and creativity the writers and execs put into it.

Wasn't Bosch the one who used to beat his head against his easel for 'inspiration'?

From the Wiki artice:

"The Garden of Earthly Delights was produced for the private enjoyment of a noble family."

Hummm....I wonder who's playing 'God?" This is a very interesting reference/allegory to the Lost storyline. Is it your own idea, or did you see it somewhere else?

From the Wiki artice:

"The Garden of Earthly Delights was produced for the private enjoyment of a noble family."

Hummm....I wonder who's playing 'God?" This is a very interesting reference/allegory to the Lost storyline. Is it your own idea, or did you see it somewhere else?

my buddy texted it to me today. i found some info on another site. its not a totally original idea, but i pieced a bunch of it together from smaller articles.

Finally got all caught up with the new episodes. i really like the direction this part of the season has taken. the old LOST is back, with story and character deveopment, intermixed with action. It makes you think a hell of a lot more.

I think Ben and Locke are working each other. No doubt Ben would like to have someone with Locke's "knowledge/power" about the island on his "side". Locke is definitely out for himself, and what he thinks is right.

With Jakc and Kate, Jack's still pissed that Kate nailed sawyer. I know i would be if i was jack. He needs to stick with juliette and hit that.