Lost S3 Discussion Thread

linksfiend

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit I wasn't overly hyped with this episode as many of you have. Infact I was somewhat disappointed that the episode wasn't a Sawyer (James) centric episode as the "previously on Lost" made me believe was but it was of course only for us to re-establish the woman helping Kate was the same girl Sawyer scammed out of the money. I know he was a big part but find his past story far more interesting to Kate's. I mean I knew her mom's answer why her mom turned her before Kate even finished the question. Of course that answer might be useful in to who Kate ends up loving (Jack seems the obvious answer over Sawyer as things stand now but that could easily change). Of course hearing that Sawyer might have a kid proves interesting. Also hearing that Jack got divorced wasn't earth shattering but something I found worth noting. As outlined in pror posts the monster findings that are interesting as is what we'll find out about the Others through Juliette in the coming week(s) might be worthwhile but think the worries of trust are well founded but hope in the end don't materialize as really want some of the myster of the Others to be unvailed. I know I didn't add much but to the discussion at hand but just had to chime in my weekly thoughts.

I found the whole episode frustrating. Juliet is obviously a plant. Notice how quickly she produced keys to the handcuffs when she was in danger? What was really mystifying was that they "took what was useful" and went back to the camp on the beach. Hello McFly, who in their right minds would abandon a village with running water, electricity, refrigeration, solid houses with real roofs and a fence that keeps out the smok monster that has killed several lost aways for a camp on the beach?

The fence keeping the smoke monster out made little sense. The lost-aways got by the fence by going over it. Why doesn't smokey to the same thing? He's picked the pilot out of a spot much higher than those fence posts, not to mention what he did to Eko.

Sawyer having a daughter is not particularly revealing. He was told he was going to be a father in a previous season. He even set up a trust fund by revealing the hiding place of a bank heist another convict commited. His daughters name is Clementime Phillips if I'm not mistaken.

All we really got out of this episode is a connection between Kate and Sawyer (no real surprise there) and Locke joining the Others.

What was really mystifying was that they "took what was useful" and went back to the camp on the beach. Hello McFly, who in their right minds would abandon a village with running water, electricity, refrigeration, solid houses with real roofs and a fence that keeps out the smoke monster that has killed several lost aways for a camp on the beach?

I had the same thought. What were the writers thinking??

I found the whole episode frustrating. Juliet is obviously a plant. Notice how quickly she produced keys to the handcuffs when she was in danger? What was really mystifying was that they "took what was useful" and went back to the camp on the beach. Hello McFly, who in their right minds would abandon a village with running water, electricity, refrigeration, solid houses with real roofs and a fence that keeps out the smok monster that has killed several lost aways for a camp on the beach?

The fence keeping the smoke monster out made little sense. The lost-aways got by the fence by going over it. Why doesn't smokey to the same thing? He's picked the pilot out of a spot much higher than those fence posts, not to mention what he did to Eko.

Sawyer having a daughter is not particularly revealing. He was told he was going to be a father in a previous season. He even set up a trust fund by revealing the hiding place of a bank heist another convict commited. His daughters name is Clementime Phillips if I'm not mistaken.

All we really got out of this episode is a connection between Kate and Sawyer (no real surprise there) and Locke joining the Others.

Ditto. Except for the finding it frustrating part.

Maybe they think the Others will be back? Maybe they want to stay at the beach just b/c... and they're holding out the faintest hope of a ship or a plane. Maybe some of them will return to live in those cabins. Who knows. That's what most people find frustrating --- it's like being able to read the best book you've ever read, only a few pages per week. Or, since this is Schedule Day, the NFL only releasing "Sept 9 Denver 1:00pm" today. Viewers want it all now now now, but there's somebody at the other end who regulates it.

Even though she was a plant I have a sneaking suspiciion the writers are going to have her stick with the lost aways.

Agreed.

I think she's trying to set up Ben.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see her killed off at the end of the season.

And I also agree with others that after a rough patch, the writing, the acting and the story-telling have returned to their previously high level.

For what it's worth, in 38 years this is the only television show I've ever watched every week.

Wow Juliet was a plant! Who didn't see that coming?

Jack was duped again. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

It's not that I was surprised by it. Just wowed by the level of writing even so.... and Juliet on the bed. B-)

Even though she was a plant I have a sneaking suspiciion the writers are going to have her stick with the lost aways.

I think she does exactly what Ben wants. Why would she? There's got to be some other way off of the island. She wants off.... but I think you have to also wonder if she wants control if/when something happens to Ben. From her past, remember, she is subservient to dominant/'higher-up' men. Once they're out of the way (her ex-husband killed in exactly the way she had described, too), she's ready to take a gamble.

So, every woman who's been preggers on the island has died. Claire has not. But the Others want the Lostaways to think that she could w/o their vaccine. Ben had cancer, when no one else on the island had cancer. The Others/Dharma can cure cancer (only, not in Ben's case? why? Locke hit a nerve w/ Ben when he suggested that the island's healing power wasn't working for him anymore) non-invasively. Why haven't they shared the secret? If you've seen the Dharma stuff on youtube (that the creators put on there), human overpopulation may be a part of the number that they are seeking to change; therefore, allowing people to die of cancer isn't a bad thing to the Others, in the interest of the human race surviving.

Since the farmhouse place where Mikhail(?) got all the information from blew up, are the Others now w/o their eyes and ears on the outside? This ep showed a big reason why he, as a true believer, would rather die than reveal anything by being interrogated/tortured. Did anyone catch what Ben said when Juliet asked him how he got the medical records?

Before the end of the season, I want to see something re: the S2 finale with Penny and those two guys in the listening post.

Before the end of the season, I want to see something re: the S2 finale with Penny and those two guys in the listening post.

Yeah, that moment keeps popping back into my head as well.

I thought I remember them being snowbound in the scene and tonight tehy made a reference to an outside connection in Acadia which is a Nat'l Park on the Maine coast.

Is that where the listening post is or is that where Juliette and/or her sister were? And does it even matter and if not why would they specifically reference it?

It's not that I was surprised by it. Just wowed by the level of writing even so.... and Juliet on the bed. B-)

I think she does exactly what Ben wants. Why would she? There's got to be some other way off of the island. She wants off.... but I think you have to also wonder if she wants control if/when something happens to Ben. From her past, remember, she is subservient to dominant/'higher-up' men. Once they're out of the way (her ex-husband killed in exactly the way she had described, too), she's ready to take a gamble.

One thing I noted from that scene besides Juliette's backside was her mentioning to Goodwin it was her 3rd anniversary of being on the island and moments later we saw a newspaper showing the date was September 22, 2004 so if we subtract three years we get September 22, 2001 which of course drifted my mind to September 11th. I don't know what to make of it now but thought bring it up.

I can't see her doing what Ben wants for the sake that she knows that Ben can't get her off the island now that the sub has been blown up and may be further convinced if learns of the communication station being blown up by Locke as well (of course she might already know this). You do bring up a good point but think we could see her ties might now lie with Jack because he is the dominant male of the lost aways.

One thing I noted from that scene besides Juliette's backside was her mentioning to Goodwin it was her 3rd anniversary of being on the island and moments later we saw a newspaper showing the date was September 22, 2004 so if we subtract three years we get September 22, 2001 which of course drifted my mind to September 11th. I don't know what to make of it now but thought bring it up.

I just watched the episode and am far too tired to go into detail now about my thoughts on the episode (in case anyone cared B-) ) but just one tiny thing about the 9/11 connection -- 9/22/04 is when the pilot premiered on ABC. Any connection to 9/11 is not intended, it was just a very subtle shout out to the show's origins.

Time, I believe, is very important to the show (most of the books referenced directly or indirectly on the show have dealt with time travel/wrinkles in time or other various time issues) -- at one time I thought I had a bead on where they were heading with it in relation to the flashbacks and exactly how many years had passed, but that theory has been shot to sh-- this past season (it had to do with every flashback being a multiple of 3 in terms of years back in time -- Locke's 4 year flashback this season ruined it). Still, despite the importance of time and dates, I do think the writers/producers wish to avoid any 9/11 references. It would just be too much reality and ultimately be a bit unnecesary.

However, like you, I made that connection when Juliette said that line as well. I think it's more a symptom of the national psyche than a conscious plant by the writers. It is kind of interesting from a human psychology perspective -- but then again I'm a huge nerd.

I just watched the episode and am far too tired to go into detail now about my thoughts on the episode (in case anyone cared B-) ) but just one tiny thing about the 9/11 connection -- 9/22/04 is when the pilot premiered on ABC. Any connection to 9/11 is not intended, it was just a very subtle shout out to the show's origins.

Time, I believe, is very important to the show (most of the books referenced directly or indirectly on the show have dealt with time travel/wrinkles in time or other various time issues) -- at one time I thought I had a bead on where they were heading with it in relation to the flashbacks and exactly how many years had passed, but that theory has been shot to sh-- this past season (it had to do with every flashback being a multiple of 3 in terms of years back in time -- Locke's 4 year flashback this season ruined it). Still, despite the importance of time and dates, I do think the writers/producers wish to avoid any 9/11 references. It would just be too much reality and ultimately be a bit unnecesary.

However, like you, I made that connection when Juliette said that line as well. I think it's more a symptom of the national psyche than a conscious plant by the writers. It is kind of interesting from a human psychology perspective -- but then again I'm a huge nerd.

"I'm cool about time."

I think especially after the Desmond ep, you have to accept there's going to be some kind of time travel/worm hole things brought in. How could the Others have put the woman in the jewelry store to tell Desmond all that unless it had already happened? They looped back (and I'm thinking in a "12 Monkeys" kind of way --- there was something about the way that scene was shot that was familar) to keep Desmond from trying to make a free will decision to not do the things he had the visions of. Like I said at the time, that ep is going to turn out to be one of the penultimate for understanding what is going on.

But yeah, any connection w/ 9/11 is likely dubious. Besides it being a major event that forces the Others to speed up their plan to save humanity and take a more hard-core Utilitarian Ethics approach (notice then, that Juliet's ex would likely have been hit by the bus very soon after 9/11. Mideros/Others/Dharma needed her tout suite, so they killed him). I don't think the writers want to go anywhere near involvement in 9/11; that would be such a poison pill/jump the shark moment.

I think she's trying to set up Ben.

Me too. IMO, she's had it with Ben's manipulation and is working the middle against the two ends. Ben may have planted her, but I sense she has her own agenda.

The reference to Julliet being a Stephen King fan (i.e., Carrie) was interesting. I could see he going postal on everyone who's done her wrong in the season finale--Others and Lostaways.

"I'm cool about time."

I think especially after the Desmond ep, you have to accept there's going to be some kind of time travel/worm hole things brought in. How could the Others have put the woman in the jewelry store to tell Desmond all that unless it had already happened?

Are you talking about the white haired woman that could see the future? What makes you think the Others put that woman in the jewelry store?

So, every woman who's been preggers on the island has died. Claire has not. But the Others want the Lostaways to think that she could w/o their vaccine.

Did Rousseau give birth on the island? If she did, what changed since then that is causing deaths to "preggers"? If not, it wouldn't make sense if she had a young child with her along with her colleagues. Anyone know?

Are you talking about the white haired woman that could see the future? What makes you think the Others put that woman in the jewelry store?

Touché! Do I need to go sit in the corner now? B-) There was just something soooo "12 Monkeys" about that scene, tho. I kind of got caught up with that theory. She well could have been a 'seer' (she was never billed as one, as opposed to the 'seers' where it was a Lostaway who did the initial-encounter approaching); just that it would seem odd for a woman selling jewelry to suddenly go into that unless she had been planted there for the specific purpose.

Well, after last night's episode (which was great), it looks like it was Desmond who crashed the plane.

The nature of what brought the plane down was revealed last season. To wit, when Desmond was lookjing at the printouts from the Pearl station and saw that the crash coincided with his not entering the numbers in time and the 'system failure.' That's not something the Lostaways are going to be hunting him down for --- they know.

Did Rousseau give birth on the island? If she did, what changed since then that is causing deaths to "preggers"? If not, it wouldn't make sense if she had a young child with her along with her colleagues. Anyone know?

I would have to check to be 100 percent certain, but yes, I believe she did. Which, evidently, would make the phenomenon something that had developed w/in those 16 years.