Lost S3 Discussion Thread

linksfiend

I'm no medical expert but if someone's heart rate dropped so slow to a point it couldn't be heard and at such a quick rate that they'd lose consciusness and therefore be unable to hear what the other lostaways were saying about them.

That's what I assumed when I first thought about it too, but I thought maybe there was a chance they could hear and see anyway.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jokeman:

I'm no medical expert but if someone's heart rate dropped so slow to a point it couldn't be heard and at such a quick rate that they'd lose consciusness and therefore be unable to hear what the other lostaways were saying about them.
ofiba:
That's what I assumed when I first thought about it too, but I thought maybe there was a chance they could hear and see anyway.

Good point Jokeman. Although I would imagine they could techinically see & hear, since they would be effectively suffering from severe hypoxia, they'd be too stupid to comprehend anything.

Jokeman:

ofiba:

Good point Jokeman. Although I would imagine they could techinically see & hear, since they would be effectively suffering from severe hypoxia, they'd be too stupid to comprehend anything.

Sounds like a lot of people on this board... :lol:

Thoughts on tonight's episode?

Personally I dug it. We got a bit more info on the monster (which seems to fit my assumption/theory). This episode set up a lot of future stuff and, as always, left us hanging on a couple big points (ie Locke and his father?!).

Still, for me this episode was about the performances and the writing. I know people are down on the show this season, and some of it is certainly warranted -- but for the past few weeks the show has really been back to form with great acting and writing.

I didn't really see any sort of "clues" in the traditional Lost sense -- though part of the code to turn on the fence was 1623 -- for whatever that's worth.

Great episode. After watching every episode of this show, I tend to trust Sayid over anyone. He is rarely wrong. Sayid doesn't trust Juliet, therefore, neither do I. I think that she is a plant. The Others left her behind on purpose to get info on the castaways.

Also, how about Sawyer being a father?? (unless I am remembering way wrong and he wasn't the guy that conned the girl from this episode) I wonder if that'll come into play in future eps.

LOST has officially captured me back after last nights episode. I was really down on them at the end of last season, and especially last fall's episodes, but the writers have successfully extracted their heads form their collective colons.

What a great episode. This set up a LOT of things for what should be a hell of a ride the last 8 or 9 episodes of the season. So apparently Locke went with the others wherever they went. To me, this means that the chess match is fully on between locke and ben. Both of them are looking after themselves, and trying to use the other to get that.

Juliet coming back to the camp will be interesting, especially with sayid. remeber he wanted to get rid of ben when they had caught him, so i doubt he'll be as lenient as last time. I think shes gonna be on the good side, however. Plus we have the battle for jacks affection between her and kate.

Regarding the backstory, i thought sawyer knew the chick was pregnant, and left the money he conned in some account for his kid? Can someone verify/correct me?

Finally, please tell me i wasnt the only one last night wishing that either during the rain or in the mud, kate and juliet were just going to start pulling each others clothes off and start going at it. ;)

I think shes gonna be on the good side, however.

Personally, I think she's more evil than Ben. She's just as adept at manipulation and perhaps even more comfortable about using others to further her needs. Ben has some agenda that will become apparent soon...I'm not sure what her agenda is.

Regarding the backstory, i thought sawyer knew the chick was pregnant, and left the money he conned in some account for his kid? Can someone verify/correct me?

You are right, but the flashback happened before Sawyer got arrested and she went to visit him in jail.

Personally I dug it. We got a bit more info on the monster (which seems to fit my assumption/theory). This episode set up a lot of future stuff and, as always, left us hanging on a couple big points (ie Locke and his father?!).

I missed the Locke part (I have a mitigating factor that I was taking the pizzas out of the oven). What did he say? Simply that he was going with the Others? The unstated part being, because they had his father. That ep is gonna be goooood.

BTW - Lindelof was one of the writers for last night; it seems that they always want one of the original creators of the show to be writing when the monster makes an appearance. And what was it with the bright flashes as Kate&Juliet were hiding in the banyan trees? Seems like they're tying the monster in to the wildlife on the island --- in S1 finale it was the owl apparently screaching 'Hurley!' before it appeared... last week with Paulo and Nikki it was the Medusa spiders that came and actually made one of the monster sounds before it showed. Juliet said she'd never seen the monster before (don't know if she's to be believed, and I'm sure Sayid will get it out of her next week). The monster was repelled by the pulse (electrical? sonic?) of those posts as K&J were going back to the Others' houses. Gets me wondering if that system was constructed mainly for the monster.

Great episode. After watching every episode of this show, I tend to trust Sayid over anyone. He is rarely wrong. Sayid doesn't trust Juliet, therefore, neither do I. I think that she is a plant. The Others left her behind on purpose to get info on the castaways.

I think so, too. The Others mostly seem to know what is available as public information. Juliet cited stuff that's found in marriage/legal records and driver's license.

Personally, I think she's more evil than Ben. She's just as adept at manipulation and perhaps even more comfortable about using others to further her needs. Ben has some agenda that will become apparent soon...I'm not sure what her agenda is.

Again, I think so, too. Juliet is totally bad-ass. Catfight! ;)

I missed the Locke part (I have a mitigating factor that I was taking the pizzas out of the oven). What did he say? Simply that he was going with the Others? The unstated part being, because they had his father. That ep is gonna be goooood.

BTW - Lindelof was one of the writers for last night; it seems that they always want one of the original creators of the show to be writing when the monster makes an appearance. And what was it with the bright flashes as Kate&Juliet were hiding in the banyan trees? Seems like they're tying the monster in to the wildlife on the island --- in S1 finale it was the owl apparently screaching 'Hurley!' before it appeared... last week with Paulo and Nikki it was the Medusa spiders that came and actually made one of the monster sounds before it showed. Juliet said she'd never seen the monster before (don't know if she's to be believed, and I'm sure Sayid will get it out of her next week). The monster was repelled by the pulse (electrical? sonic?) of those posts as K&J were going back to the Others' houses. Gets me wondering if that system was constructed mainly for the monster.

I think so, too. The Others mostly seem to know what is available as public information. Juliet cited stuff that's found in marriage/legal records and driver's license.

Again, I think so, too. Juliet is totally bad-ass. Catfight! ;)

A couple things based on your post:

1. Locke said a few interesting things. In summation: "I don't want to leave, I'm going with them", to Kate, "I tried to fight for you, told them you were reliable and a standup person, then they told me what you did ... forgiveness isn't one of their strong suites", and "Jack is staying behind with you, good luck".

The fact that now Locke knows what Kate did (when only Jack refused to know before) is a bit interesting. But the most interesting part of that exchange was Locke talking about forgiveness -- considering his father (who is now somehow on the island), maybe Locke does indeed have more in common with the Others than we knew. He was born to be on this island, whereas Ben was born on the island. Not sure if Locke is playing the Others or is genuine about his desire to be a part of their tribe.

This was the only part of the show that irked me simply because Locke has always been one of my favorite characters, but his 180/crazyness the past few episdoes has been wearing on me -- hopefully there is a bigger game at foot and we aren't going to get the weak, push over John from the end of season 2.

2. The monster: going back to our discussion last week, it was further proof that the monster is infact controlled by another group. We know from season 1 that the Monster is mechanical and not really a "monster", it's a "security system". The "Others" have their own security system (the fence) which, as Juiliette admitted after it crashed into the gate, "Okay, we've seen it before but we don't know what it is we just know that it doesn't like our fence". So the "Others" are aware of its presence, but the fact they don't know what it is shows me that my hunch is close to the truth ... there is a war going on between two sides and the Lostaways are caught in the middle.

Your comment on tying it to nature is interesting. The bird certainly did say Hurley's name and the spiders made the sound -- which makes me think the Monster can change "forms". It is, afterall, a nebulous cloud of black smoke. It can do what it wants. We know that it appears differently to different Lostaways -- remember Locke described it as a "bright, beautiful light" (close to what we saw last night) whereas Eko and Charlie saw the black, scanning smoke. What was most interesting to me was that it appeared to "scan" Juliette and not so much Kate. Not sure if that means anything, but it clearly was most interested in Juliette.

If it can take the shape of "creatures" it goes along with the theory that there is another group opposed to the "Others" -- ones who deal with nature and supernatural elements rather than cold, hard science.

A couple things based on your post:

1. Locke said a few interesting things. In summation: "I don't want to leave, I'm going with them", to Kate, "I tried to fight for you, told them you were reliable and a standup person, then they told me what you did ... forgiveness isn't one of their strong suites", and "Jack is staying behind with you, good luck".

The fact that now Locke knows what Kate did (when only Jack refused to know before) is a bit interesting. But the most interesting part of that exchange was Locke talking about forgiveness -- considering his father (who is now somehow on the island), maybe Locke does indeed have more in common with the Others than we knew. He was born to be on this island, whereas Ben was born on the island. Not sure if Locke is playing the Others or is genuine about his desire to be a part of their tribe.

This was the only part of the show that irked me simply because Locke has always been one of my favorite characters, but his 180/crazyness the past few episdoes has been wearing on me -- hopefully there is a bigger game at foot and we aren't going to get the weak, push over John from the end of season 2.

2. The monster: going back to our discussion last week, it was further proof that the monster is infact controlled by another group. We know from season 1 that the Monster is mechanical and not really a "monster", it's a "security system". The "Others" have their own security system (the fence) which, as Juiliette admitted after it crashed into the gate, "Okay, we've seen it before but we don't know what it is we just know that it doesn't like our fence". So the "Others" are aware of its presence, but the fact they don't know what it is shows me that my hunch is close to the truth ... there is a war going on between two sides and the Lostaways are caught in the middle.

Your comment on tying it to nature is interesting. The bird certainly did say Hurley's name and the spiders made the sound -- which makes me think the Monster can change "forms". It is, afterall, a nebulous cloud of black smoke. It can do what it wants. We know that it appears differently to different Lostaways -- remember Locke described it as a "bright, beautiful light" (close to what we saw last night) whereas Eko and Charlie saw the black, scanning smoke. What was most interesting to me was that it appeared to "scan" Juliette and not so much Kate. Not sure if that means anything, but it clearly was most interested in Juliette.

If it can take the shape of "creatures" it goes along with the theory that there is another group opposed to the "Others" -- ones who deal with nature and supernatural elements rather than cold, hard science.

Thanks for the fill-in. Some clarifications.... Locke did have the opportunity in S1 to know what Kate did/that she was a fugitive (I believe it was Hurley talking to him). His reply was that they all get a clean slate on the island and that he didn't want to know. Locke's progression has been a trip, for sure. He goes to the extremes this way, then the other (polar, you could say, with all that brings up) re: anger/calm, belief/doubt, vengence/forgiveness, control/weakness, activity/idleness, etc. That is one of the great things about his character. But this trait, I think, does allow him to be easily manipulated. In the 'chess match' with Ben, Ben is playing 20 moves ahead.

The monster absolutely did seem more interested in Juliet than Kate (perhaps b/c it has encountered Kate before when she and Jack rescued Charlie). The flashes... it was almost like it was taking photos.

Finally, please tell me i wasnt the only one last night wishing that either during the rain or in the mud, kate and juliet were just going to start pulling each others clothes and going at it. ;)

You are not alone. Made me wonder about how many takes they had. "No ladies, we are going to have to do it again. So sorry, honest"!

Sick pups we are!

What a great discussion of a great episode...reminds me of seasons past when there was a thread like this for every episode!

My thoughts on last night...

How great was Hurley snowing Sawyer and getting him to play nice? I think Sawyer changes his ways is going to be critical to his position in everything down the road. I had discussed his becoming "gooder" after last weeks episode in regards to his apparent new passion for reading.

The whole thing with the gas is kind of odd. Why did all the other don gas masks and then run off? It sounds like the gas was only used in confined spaces for Kate and Julia, so why wear the masks outdoors like that? And did Jack get gassed too? I don't think so...it looks more like he got beat up.

What struck me about Kate and Julia, apart from the fact that they are both so hot (I was VERY happy when it started to rain!), is how much taller then Kate Julia is.

I think Sayid is extremely suspicious about Julia due to the fact that he pretty much got burned by Ben. Had he had his way with Ben, things would be a lot different now. Food for thought...why did Ben allow himself to be captured? He's too smart to have been caught be accident, so why did he do it? He had to know how dangerous it could be (he knew all about every one of the Lostaways, including Sayid). While he is a master manipulator, how could he be so sure that they wouldn't kill him? Was it all to get Jack to come and do surgery on him?

The monster...cool! It was def scanning Julia...it has never "seen" her before. I think it has all the info it needs about Kate. I still think it is a remanent security measure (hence the scanning of people) rather then a device run by a third group.

Locke really has what he wants...permanancy on the island. Now he can fulfill his secondary goal of finding out more about it. And am I the only person who thinks that his Dad was a ghost image rather then being there for real (think of all the other ghost images that the island has produced).

So good to be posting inspired thoughts about this show! ;)

What a great discussion of a great episode...reminds me of seasons past when there was a thread like this for every episode!

My thoughts on last night...

How great was Hurley snowing Sawyer and getting him to play nice? I think Sawyer changes his ways is going to be critical to his position in everything down the road. I had discussed his becoming "gooder" after last weeks episode in regards to his apparent new passion for reading.

The whole thing with the gas is kind of odd. Why did all the other don gas masks and then run off? It sounds like the gas was only used in confined spaces for Kate and Julia, so why wear the masks outdoors like that? And did Jack get gassed too? I don't think so...it looks more like he got beat up.

What struck me about Kate and Julia, apart from the fact that they are both so hot (I was VERY happy when it started to rain!), is how much taller then Kate Julia is.

I think Sayid is extremely suspicious about Julia due to the fact that he pretty much got burned by Ben. Had he had his way with Ben, things would be a lot different now. Food for thought...why did Ben allow himself to be captured? He's too smart to have been caught be accident, so why did he do it? He had to know how dangerous it could be (he knew all about every one of the Lostaways, including Sayid). While he is a master manipulator, how could he be so sure that they wouldn't kill him? Was it all to get Jack to come and do surgery on him?

The monster...cool! It was def scanning Julia...it has never "seen" her before. I think it has all the info it needs about Kate. I still think it is a remanent security measure (hence the scanning of people) rather then a device run by a third group.

Locke really has what he wants...permanancy on the island. Now he can fulfill his secondary goal of finding out more about it. And am I the only person who thinks that his Dad was a ghost image rather then being there for real (think of all the other ghost images that the island has produced).

So good to be posting inspired thoughts about this show! :w00t:

There has been little mention of the second island since it was first revealed. The Others are up to something and as usual it isn't good.

Also, there has been less emphasis on the island's various hatches. Why? Their contents have been revealed and that is it? I don't think so. The writers like to take characters, storylines and features of the story and stow them away. Then they get us to forget and wham they hit us with some variant from the past. Examples are Rousseau and Desmond. How many years has Rousseau been on the island? Fourteen? And they aren't picking this women's brain? Compare notes with this woman! What else can Desmond see? He keeps to himself but stuff is spinning inside of his head.

It is amazing how forgiving the characters are after fights and slights. It seems like Sun is the only one who knows how not to forget (Sawyer).

It is also amazing how something intense happens and the characters involved keep it to themselves. Hello Kate and Julia, you were just terrorized by an animated smoke signal. Do think you might want to tell somebody what you witnessed? I mean what up?

Julia is the female Ben. She is also a master manipulator and her sexuality makes her even more dangerous. Julia rose in prominence within the circle of The Others because she can lead, charm and manipulate. She does more than wait tables. For Sayid to be suspicious of her is impressive considering Julia's powerful sexual allure. Kate is the one women from the survivor group who is most familiar with Julia. Women have a unique way of reading through each other and I believe Kate will soon have Julia solved.

I believe Paolo and Nikki are alive. Otherwise what was the point of the circumstances of there downfall? The grave seemed shallow enough and the narrative possibilities of having them come back from the grasps of death are immense.

It is possible that The Others were on their way to gas somebody else. Their adversaries? Whomever they are at war may be the next target if that is what is happening.

I believe Locke has established trust with The Others and is going to find out as much as he can. Sayid will do the same with Julia. At some point Locke and Sayid will meet again to compare notes. Jack will (mis)lead the survivors into more trouble and less answers.

I believe Locke's father was on the back section of the plain and he was following Locke to kill him. Locke is the only one who has his father figured out and that puts the father in danger. I expect the father to try to kill Locke.

There has been little mention of the second island since it was first revealed. The Others are up to something and as usual it isn't good.

Also, there has been less emphasis on the island's various hatches. Why? Their contents have been revealed and that is it? I don't think so. The writers like to take characters, storylines and features of the story and stow them away. Then they get us to forget and wham they hit us with some variant from the past. Examples are Rousseau and Desmond. How many years has Rousseau been on the island? Fourteen? And they aren't picking this women's brain? Compare notes with this woman! What else can Desmond see? He keeps to himself but stuff is spinning inside of his head.

It is amazing how forgiving the characters are after fights and slights. It seems like Sun is the only one who knows how not to forget (Sawyer).

It is also amazing how something intense happens and the characters involved keep it to themselves. Hello Kate and Julia, you were just terrorized by an animated smoke signal. Do think you might want to tell somebody what you witnessed? I mean what up?

Julia is the female Ben. She is also a master manipulator and her sexuality makes her even more dangerous. Julia rose in prominence within the circle of The Others because she can lead, charm and manipulate. She does more than wait tables. For Sayid to be suspicious of her is impressive considering Julia's powerful sexual allure. Kate is the one women from the survivor group who is most familiar with Julia. Women have a unique way of reading through each other and I believe Kate will soon have Julia solved.

I believe Paolo and Nikki are alive. Otherwise what was the point of the circumstances of there downfall? The grave seemed shallow enough and the narrative possibilities of having them come back from the grasps of death are immense.

It is possible that The Others were on their way to gas somebody else. Their adversaries? Whomever they are at war may be the next target if that is what is happening.

I believe Locke has established trust with The Others and is going to find out as much as he can. Sayid will do the same with Julia. At some point Locke and Sayid will meet again to compare notes. Jack will (mis)lead the survivors into more trouble and less answers.

I believe Locke's father was on the back section of the plain and he was following Locke to kill him. Locke is the only one who has his father figured out and that puts the father in danger. I expect the father to try to kill Locke.

Well, keep in mind that the Others have the tendency of completely abandoning a place once a non-Other sees it. The Patch Guy wanted his building to be blown up once it was discovered (he seemed to egg on Locke in the chess game by saying he had never beaten it; Locke loves a challenge). They will also willingly kill themselves to keep from divulging the least detail. And as Sayid said, even with so many people, they don't leave a trail behind them.

Sawyer's becoming a better person may continue but it won't last. That's how his character is; you like him and you hate him. Last night it's like he was running for president and even after he realized he'd been had by Hurley, I think it struck him that he needs to do more for the group and that he is a leader.... (cue headbutting when Jack returns) but the Sun secret will come out.

Juliet also has that air that Ben doesn't have. You know[i/] he's a manipulator. But notice who has been bringing the captives food (burgers for Jack, a sandwich for Kate). As a narrative tool, food=life, and the bringer of food is therefore seen as something of a nurturer/someone you can trust. The Others had her bring the food in for a reason. But even with her feminine wiles, Sayid is going to have her pegged toot sweet, doesn't matter that she's hot in that whole sophisticated-lady way. Speaking of food, anyone see the DHARMA A-1 steak sauce? This is just an aside but the A-1 plant used to be in Hartford, and my father said the air in that whole area of the city would smell of it and would make your mouth water. They moved out of the city a while back.

Nikki and Paulo are dead. Based on what Sawyer and Hurley said, this was a day or two after the burial and there was no dig-out (the graveyard, as such, is not far away from the beach and would have been noticed). They were buried alive and suffocated. As I wrote last week, I think the most important part of their story is the diamonds they stole i.e. where they originally came from.

And as Sayid said, even with so many people, they don't leave a trail behind them.

Just a thought - is it possible that the Others were donning gas masks not to PREVENT themselves from being poisoned, but rather to administer a poison, thereby eliminating their trail. (Of course they'd have to evacuate to some hidden mass grave or something.)

Not too likely, but hey, who knows.

I have to admit I wasn't overly hyped with this episode as many of you have. Infact I was somewhat disappointed that the episode wasn't a Sawyer (James) centric episode as the "previously on Lost" made me believe was but it was of course only for us to re-establish the woman helping Kate was the same girl Sawyer scammed out of the money. I know he was a big part but find his past story far more interesting to Kate's. I mean I knew her mom's answer why her mom turned her before Kate even finished the question. Of course that answer might be useful in to who Kate ends up loving (Jack seems the obvious answer over Sawyer as things stand now but that could easily change). Of course hearing that Sawyer might have a kid proves interesting. Also hearing that Jack got divorced wasn't earth shattering but something I found worth noting. As outlined in pror posts the monster findings that are interesting as is what we'll find out about the Others through Juliette in the coming week(s) might be worthwhile but think the worries of trust are well founded but hope in the end don't materialize as really want some of the myster of the Others to be unvailed. I know I didn't add much but to the discussion at hand but just had to chime in my weekly thoughts.

Finally, please tell me i wasnt the only one last night wishing that either during the rain or in the mud, kate and juliet were just going to start pulling each others clothes off and start going at it. :blink:

When they both fell in the mud together, I did the same fist pump I usually do when the Sabres score. :thumbdown:

Great episode. Juliet is probably evil as hell but I wouldn't care either. I'd let her live with me. :wallbash: