Lost S3 Discussion Thread

linksfiend

I don't have Tivo but I thought it was the apparently prescient older woman from the jewelry store whom Desmond had a previous experience with when he was considering buying that ring.

And yes that was Joe Heller's Catch-22, but I wasn't familiar with the language. I wonder if Desmond is going to develop (further?) into a Yosarrian type character or if maybe the girl has some kind of wound we can't see yet.

Or maybe the writers just wanted to flash the title to further muddy the waters.

Well, it's Desmond's Catch-22 that if he lets happen what is ultimately fated to happen, it means Charlie dies.

If that's right about the picture, that is such a trip!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts from a very entertaining episode last night...

I agree with some of the previous posts...Desmond is a fascinating character. He does seem to always make the wrong decisions, though I think he did make the right one last night by saving Charlie. If you go by the theory that the island is testing people, then his visions and now the temptation to not save Charlie for the sake of possibly seeing Penny was a huge test. I think he passed that test as he put Charlie's well begin before his own desire to see Penny.

One would have to believe that Penny was also on that helicoptor because of the picture being used as a bookmark. Unlikely that someone else would be doing that, unless that was the only picture of Desmond that Penny had and she had given it to the coptor crew to help them ID Des. The coptor crashed in the ocean, and it did look like there were two beacons in the sky.

Welcome back hot Kate! The dressing scene in the tent was HOT! :beer::beer::w00t: I like Sawyer telling her that if she wants him, all she needs to do is ask.

Jack is such a wieney...and I like how Hugo has been becoming more of a stronger individual...especially since he came back.

I agree with the idea that Kate is going to become preg from Sawyer, and that this could be a big part of the final pieces of this puzzle.

Overall...a good episode. Only four more!!!!

Some thoughts from a very entertaining episode last night...

I agree with some of the previous posts...Desmond is a fascinating character. He does seem to always make the wrong decisions, though I think he did make the right one last night by saving Charlie. If you go by the theory that the island is testing people, then his visions and now the temptation to not save Charlie for the sake of possibly seeing Penny was a huge test. I think he passed that test as he put Charlie's well begin before his own desire to see Penny.

One would have to believe that Penny was also on that helicoptor because of the picture being used as a bookmark. Unlikely that someone else would be doing that, unless that was the only picture of Desmond that Penny had and she had given it to the coptor crew to help them ID Des. The coptor crashed in the ocean, and it did look like there were two beacons in the sky.

Welcome back hot Kate! The dressing scene in the tent was HOT! :beer::beer::w00t: I like Sawyer telling her that if she wants him, all she needs to do is ask.

Jack is such a wieney...and I like how Hugo has been becoming more of a stronger individual...especially since he came back.

I agree with the idea that Kate is going to become preg from Sawyer, and that this could be a big part of the final pieces of this puzzle.

Overall...a good episode. Only four more!!!!

The thing with the visions of Locke and Des is, who/what is sending them; and for what purpose? To make the vision happen, or to thwart the harm in it? Locke has gone on and on about 'the island' being behind it, but it's bunk. He doesn't know, he's guessing. The flashback conversation re: Issac and God's sacrifice test... Des said something like why was the sacrifice really needed anyway, and the head monk said You need to think more about the meaning of sacrifice.

Jack is probably just a little snakebitten, trying to figure some things out (including who to trust), trying to hold onto his leadership role (he had to verbally stick up for Juliet, several times) and add in that a woman he had a romantic interest in is going in another guy's tent. Kudos that Jack seems to have gotten over his obsession problem, as he was playing ping-pong and getting caught up on matters of state since his departure.

Good point about Hurley. Notice last week (from the repeat) that his conversation with Juliet "Charlie got angry. We buried Ethan over there" was the cool-dude's version of a threat... Subtle note that 'People who hurt one of us get a dirt nap.' It's kind of re-assuming his bumbling sheriff's deputy status (i.e. how he took the census after Claire was attacked), after he came back from that dock and told no one --- until he was grilled about it --- that Jack, Kate and Sawyer were captive.

BTW, the Flash would --- and did --- so beat Superman in a footrace. Gotta laugh at Jin's flashlight face too. :D

As for the visions and real life, there were the red specks against the dark sky, which evidently were the flashing beacons on the flightsuits, which would mean that one of them is out in the ocean? What was the splash (sounded heavy-ish...) --- the helicopter proper, some sort of supplies, Penny? This was obviously the result of the scene from the S2 finale. What was the book that fell out of the pack --- "Catch 22" in a different language?

What was that w/ Kate+Sawyer, that she was crying as she was jumping on him. That's pretty odd. And to continue from last week's discussion, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she does get preggers and becomes the answer to Everything.

Couple quick points:

1. The lights against the sky was the flight suit beacon of the chick they found. There was only one, not two, and they followed it into the jungle. The large splash into the ocean was, I believe, the actual chopper. That's why Des was so upset -- he feared the chopper crashed in the ocean before the person jumped out, since his vision didn't have the "splash".

2. The Kate and Sawyer thing was awesome -- she was jealous of Jack and Jules and was using Sawyer to get back at Jack in a way. It's a twisted mind game between the two of them. She wants what she can't have sorta thing (women...). It's just good character writing.

3. In your other post you said "Locke is just guessing". I'm not so sure about that. I'm beginning to think Locke sees things in much the same way that Desmond does. Ben told Locke "you have a communion with this island ... and that makes you very, very important". Locke may well see flashes (we know he did with Boone and with how to save Eko from the bear) just as Desmond, he just never announced it to everyone other than saying, "The island will tell us."

This makes a lot of sense then as to what Ben's "plan" is with Jules. Ben was always interested in getting Locke because he viewed him as important. And now that Des is connected to the island -- he seems intent on getting him as well. Perhaps that is why Jules is on the beach for a week. To get to know Des better. The last episode with her seemed to allude to that with the camera work as she took a long, hard look at him before tying the final knot.

4. Random insider note: The conversation about Flash and Superman was hilarious, but also intertextual. JJ wrote the first script for Superman Returns and it was canned -- something he was upset about. And now, he is on the short list for directors/writers for the new Flash movie. Putting that conversation into that context cracked me up.

The picture on the monk's desk was DEFINITELY the jewelry shop woman.

the producers said this week to watch for a subtle but pretty meaningful easter egg towards the end of the show. that was it.

I caught that too. Very interesting...

The version of Catch-22 was in Portugese. the people in the arctic listening station were Brazilian. any meaning? who knows...

and here is a link to the screen cap of the desk picture...

mother time indeed

edit: another tidbit i just picked up from another board: the name of the wine that the monks were bottling was Moriah Vineyards. Moriah is the mountain range where Abraham took his son Isaac to sacrifice him to prove his devotion to god. Looks like Desmond's main purpose is all about sacrifice.

The version of Catch-22 was in Portugese. the people in the arctic listening station were Brazilian. any meaning? who knows...

and here is a link to the screen cap of the desk picture...

mother time indeed

Isn't part of the fun of this show looking for stuff like that? I'm always scouring backgrounds, desktops, etc. for possibly meaningful things. :beer:

This isn't to significant but when Sawyer gave Kate the cassette tape (Phil Collins) he said "Just don't tell Bernard".

Seeing as we haven't seen either him or Rose all season, I thought it was weird. I mean why bring them up if you don't plan on bringing them back into the fold.

Just to remind us that they still exist.

Truth be told, their story is pretty much over. They decided they are staying on the Island no matter what. And as Jack said to Jules, wanting to get off the Island "makes you one of us".

Plus, Rose is a Broadway actress so she can only shoot a certain amount of eps a season. I don't expect her back in these last 4. I could be wrong though.

This isn't to significant but when Sawyer gave Kate the cassette tape (Phil Collins) he said "Just don't tell Bernard".

Seeing as we haven't seen either him or Rose all season, I thought it was weird. I mean why bring them up if you don't plan on bringing them back into the fold.

I'm sure it was done by the writers on purpose to tell us viewers that Rose and Bernard are still alive etc without having to give them camera time. As this show has one fairly large ensamble cast to do with and it seems to grow week by week.

In terms of the episode I just shake my head as to how foolish Kate is to be jumping Sawyer when she heard only a day or two earlier about the problem that pregnant women have had a rough time surviving but perhaps she wasn't in the best state of mind as it's obvious she's trying to get back at Jack. Her getting pregnant and perhaps being the first surviving woman definately seems possible but next week's preview seems to indicate Sun will have something to say about that first.

The picture on the monk's desk wasn't too revealing as DVR'd the episode as didn't want to miss any of the action as watched the Sabres game too and went back when watching the show "live".

Of course the question we now have is who was the woman that dropped from the helicopter. I think instead of Penny being in the helicopter with her she was instead sent by Penny to find Desmond and that's why she had the photograph of him to identify him. As she clearly recognised him when she stated his name after Desmond removed her mask. My first thought before the mask was unveiled that it was going to be Ruth as never really expected to see Penny despite Desmond's ranting. Inpart because I believe the actress that plays Penny is due to be in a new series on HBO (from the previews I've seen at least) so we might not see her for awhile. Of course with the Portugese book one is going to wonder if this new woman will have a Paulo connection.

edit: another tidbit i just picked up from another board: the name of the wine that the monks were bottling was Moriah Vineyards. Moriah is the mountain range where Abraham took his son Isaac to sacrifice him to prove his devotion to god. Looks like Desmond's main purpose is all about sacrifice.

Well, seeing as to how they talked about this for a couple minutes in the episode, there wasn't any mystery in Moriah.

This was an allusion to Jack's Invisible Touch. You'll recall that Locke was listening to that after he talked to the phone sex chick. Also, Edge of Night was on when Jack got the word about his dad.