Lost S3 Discussion Thread

linksfiend

Is it just me or did it seem a little weird that Juliette wasn't moved off the sub when she orginally got to the island. She was all tied up (because of the end of the trip being bumpy (Dylan)).

I'm having doubts that the sub was actually their mode of transport to the island.

Quite reasonable doubts, actually.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite reasonable doubts, actually.

Indeed. That sub doesn't seem like it would be appropriate for a long ride. More then likely is that the sub is used to get out past some distance from the island where a boat is met for the rest of the trip to the mainland.

If the pregnancy angle is so important to the research then we can probably expect more (forced) pregnancies. Look out ladies.

Who would have such significant data on supposedly random individuals? A government? A corporation?

Juliette's role seems to be one who can create and cure chaos. She can be viewed as demon and savior to elicit information and further experimental quests.

What will Desmond see next?

What role will the disgruntled Others (Rousseau's daughter) have in future episodes?

Who else is pregnant? Rousseau's daughter?

Who and what else is being watched in the various pre-island origins of the castaways?

If Walt and his powers were so important can we assume that the Others really let him go home?

Why does Vincent get more screen time than Rose and her hubby?

I just got done re-watching the last 5 episodes ... the lady friend was behind, so we had a mini marathon this weekend (yes, I am that much of a nerd) :lol:

Anyway, I had a couple of observations which I missed the first time around -- some are just observations, others are little details which I spun into possible theories. Just felt like sharing.

1. "Richard": In Locke's episode "The Man From Talhassee" where Locke blows up the sub, Ben tells Richard to bring him the man from Talhassee who of course turns out to be Locke's father. We see Richard at the end of the episode when he unlocks (no pun intended) Locke and says, "you're not going to do anything stupid, are you?". He looked familiar but I wasn't sure where we saw him before. Then, in Juilette's episode we see him again, as the man who recruited her to the Island.

Later, in that same episode, Ben brings Juilette to the Flame station and shows her a live feed of her sister -- and tells Richard to "hurry back, we may have new guests". So it appears Richard is one of the few Others who spends his time going back and forth from the real world to the Island. In Locke's episode, Ben tells Locke that he needs to keep "the illusion" that people are free to come and go -- though he really wants them to make a full commitment (more on this in a second). Yet both Ethan and Richard appear to be the exception to this. He needs them both on the outside and on the island. Just something that is worth noting.

2. "Kate, not Claire is the 'mother' on the plane": When Ben and Juilette are talking at the flame he mentions that she can't leave until her work is finished. She retorts that there are no more mothers left, but Ben tells her that "maybe there is one on the plane". Now we could take that to mean Claire, but she's already pregnant and Juilette said the problem happens "at conception", making her irrelevant. But Kate ... or Sun (who may or may not have been knocked up before the Island) are ripe (pun intended) targets. It just adds more to my theory about Kate and Sawyer being made to mate. Perhaps the whole plan, all along, has been to bring these two together on the Island. Too simple (or contrived) perhaps -- but it fits.

3. "Juliette and her work": This is a far flung theory which I'm not sold on, but it croped up when thinking about Ben "needing to convince people to stay" on the island. We already know he is a master manipulator. We also know that there is a problem with women having babies on the island. However, Sun is preggers, Alex, Aaron and Ben were born on the island -- making that "problem" a bit dubious. In last week's episode, Ben talked about an "implant" in Claire which he activated to make her symptomatic. My thought was, what if the "problem" wasn't real, but just something Ben designed to make Juilette stay on the island? We've seen him manipulate, lie, cheat and abuse his power. It's not out of left field.

However, there are problems with this. Namely that Juilette didn't bat an eye when he told her about the implant. If she wasn't aware of it, then she would have raised a few red flags (unless she is planning on staying with the Lostaways as some believe). Secondly, Ben did kill his own people (the women) just to make her stay -- that seems like a stretch unless Juilette is really, really important. Not sure.

4. "Locke got his ass whooped": I didn't notice this the first time, maybe others did and I missed the comments. But when Locke comes in to tell Kate he's leaving, his right hand is bandaged and his left eye is black and blue. Those injuries weren't there when we saw him after blowing up the sub. Something happened between the time he saw his father and then we saw him with Kate. Did he fight his father? Did the Others make them duke it out till the death? I'm not sure, but I'll be anything the next Locke episode will be a flashback about that missing 10 hours or so.

5. "Ben's Plan": Juliette tells Ben in the last episode, "I know you want me on the beach ..." I talked about this a bit before, why does she need to be on the beach? I was hoping for more clues, but found none. Ben has a time schedule in place (one week), and they already know everything about everyone on the beach ... except for Desmond. She took a long look at Des, makes me wonder if he is who she is supposed to watch for the week. Maybe he is important more than we know.

EDIT: One thing I forgot about time. Before Juilette drinks the tranqualizer, Richard tells her that she "will be amazed at how time flies once you get there". It could be a meaningless line, but it could also add more fuel to the whole time wrinkle element people here have mentioned before.

Anyone notice that Ben told the person filming Juliette's sister that he should "come back" or something like that. I took this to mean that the "filmer" was close. This gives credence to a "virtual world" or that the island is some kind of bio-dome.

Anyone notice that Ben told the person filming Juliette's sister that he should "come back" or something like that. I took this to mean that the "filmer" was close. This gives credence to a "virtual world" or that the island is some kind of bio-dome.

It was Richard -- Ben's manservant who he told to come back. But he was in Miami (that's what the paper said when he showed the date). My post above talked about it a bit. I don't think it's a bio dome, but there are only a select few who go back and forth between the real world and the island, Richard being one of them. I think Ben said "get back here as fast as you can, we may have new guests" ... so that could mean a couple minutes (if your theory is right) or a couple weeks. It's too ambigious right now to be certain either way.

"Lost" has really picked up since they came back from hiatus, imo. The last episode, especially. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

I totally agree with you. It's good to see people discussing it again. The beginning of the season was really rough.

I totally agree with you. It's good to see people discussing it again. The beginning of the season was really rough.

you know... it was 4 or so episodes, out of 3 seasons, that were a little shakey and everyone wanted to jump ship.

you guys need to look to our man John Locke and have some faith.

(definitely go with Locke and not George Michael)

you know... it was 4 or so episodes, out of 3 seasons, that were a little shakey and everyone wanted to jump ship.

Who wanted to jump ship? Not I.

Simply stating a show seems to have rebounded from a string of "not as great" episodes to great episodes once again is hardly wanting to jump ship. Every show goes through rough patches.

Who wanted to jump ship? Not I.

Simply stating a show seems to have rebounded from a string of "not as great" episodes to great episodes once again is hardly wanting to jump ship. Every show goes through rough patches.

maybe not you, but you cant deny that people all over were ready. just go back and read through this thread (if this were important enough to do so, which its not) and see people threatening to leave.

maybe not you, but you cant deny that people all over were ready. just go back and read through this thread (if this were important enough to do so, which its not) and see people threatening to leave.

yes, i know that. i just wanted to make it clear that i never was one of these bandwagoners :lol:

It was the trendy thing to do this season to bash Lost. I was never to the point of wanting to stop watching, but I'm glad it's back on track.

It was the trendy thing to do this season to bash Lost. I was never to the point of wanting to stop watching, but I'm glad it's back on track.

For damn near any TeeVee show, it's always the case that people say seasons past were the best and the current season is subpar/crap.

For me, S1 was the best; mostly due to the sheer originality of the series and freshness of everything that was going on as it was a new kind of show. That has subsided since then; viewers know things, viewers expect things, viewers want answers.

I've always compared it to reading a really great novel one chapter at a time, over the course of several years.... you know, something like Dreiser, of whom critics often write that while his words, sentences and chapters are like ordinary bricks, how he puts them together that makes a beautiful building.

For damn near any TeeVee show, it's always the case that people say seasons past were the best and the current season is subpar/crap.

For me, S1 was the best; mostly due to the sheer originality of the series and freshness of everything that was going on as it was a new kind of show. That has subsided since then; viewers know things, viewers expect things, viewers want answers.

I've always compared it to reading a really great novel one chapter at a time, over the course of several years.... you know, something like Dreiser, of whom critics often write that while his words, sentences and chapters are like ordinary bricks, how he puts them together that makes a beautiful building.

Well said :blink:

It's the same kind of thing with "The Sopranos" in a lot of ways.

So....

Seems evident that the writers wanted us to reflect back on the Locke-Boone "sacrifice." Instead of thru a dream, it happens close to real-time, in broad daylight; and rather than pyschadelic metaphors like 'Theresa falls up the stairs, theresa falls down the stairs; Desmond receives true-blue visions. And instead of sacrificing Charlie as Locke did Boone, keeps saving him. All that was to change, Desmond thought, but when the moment comes, he can't bring himself to let it happen. Seems like the same kind of frustration is getting to him as punching in the code for 3 years; it's a task that he has to do to save Charlie instead of the world. Seemed like before the cut to commercial Hurley & Charlie had a WTF moment where they knew Desmond planned on letting Charlie die. I think the question going forward is, does Charlie keep 'letting' Desmond interfere.

Thing to take from the flashbackS, I guess, is that Desmond is kind of... destined to fail at things. Jilted the girl from tonight; dumped Penny; entered the race and washed up on mystery island; the hatch imploded; he 'fails' by saving Charlie. Also, we know why he calls everyone 'brother.' The heavy accents always give me a little pause with my hearing, and CC always blocks out too much of the picture. Still, I enjoy the Des eps, as he has a great depth of character and sense of humor (the jokes he tells Penny had me :beer: ) despite all that happens. Also, who was in the picture on the head monk's desk? It flashed for a split second. Anyone have TiVo?

As for the visions and real life, there were the red specks against the dark sky, which evidently were the flashing beacons on the flightsuits, which would mean that one of them is out in the ocean? What was the splash (sounded heavy-ish...) --- the helicopter proper, some sort of supplies, Penny? This was obviously the result of the scene from the S2 finale. What was the book that fell out of the pack --- "Catch 22" in a different language?

What was that w/ Kate+Sawyer, that she was crying as she was jumping on him. That's pretty odd. And to continue from last week's discussion, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she does get preggers and becomes the answer to Everything.

Also, who was in the picture on the head monk's desk? It flashed for a split second. Anyone have TiVo?

I don't have Tivo but I thought it was the apparently prescient older woman from the jewelry store whom Desmond had a previous experience with when he was considering buying that ring.

And yes that was Joe Heller's Catch-22, but I wasn't familiar with the language. I wonder if Desmond is going to develop (further?) into a Yosarrian type character or if maybe the girl has some kind of wound we can't see yet.

Or maybe the writers just wanted to flash the title to further muddy the waters.