A little comfort

C.Biscuit97

For my own sake of mind, I decided to do a comparison between a certain Hall of Fame QB for the Bills and Losman. For the sake of the argument, I will count the KC game last year as a start for Losman since he played the entire game. So that would mean he has 12 starts under his belt.

Using my trusting Restless book (which has every box score of a Bills game from 1960 to 1994), I was able to view how Kelly did his 12th start. On 11/23/86, the Bills lost 22 to 19 at the Pats (boo :D ). In the game, Kelly went 22 for 32 for 250 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT. Some of the game notes from the game: Kelly was sacked 6 times and killed the final Buffalo chance by throwing an INT. On the second play of the game, he was sacked and fumbled in the end zone for a safety (a Bills QB getting saftied in NE 0:) ).

Before I get flamed, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying Losman is better than Kelly in anyway. But I think it is worth noting that Kelly (who was 26 and had a couple of seasons of playing pro football in the USFL) didn't exactly master the NFL by his 12th start. As much as it sucks, you gotta have some patience. And if watching that game and don't think Losman can be very good, you're retarded. He made some of the most beautiful throws I have ever seen (the perfect floater to Reed for a big gain, a 30 yard perfect rope to Price in double coverage that Price dropped, a 50 yard bomb into the wind that was a little to long for Evans).

You never wanna throw any games away and the Bills (and JP) blew a game they dominated. And as stupid as it is, that press conference should me a ton. Despite what that fat tub of lard the Coach says, Losman is the anti-RJ. He just want to win and could care less how he does it. And I'm proud that he is our QB and have full confidence that he will lead us for many years. But there will be bumps along the way. Patience. :doh:

Bravo!

Its amazing how little patience and poor memory so many people have. I'm a Losman fan, but I'm not blind to his struggles. It seems like many like to be Losman hater, and be completely blind to his progress. No QB is perfect and it takes several years for them to really come into there own, and even the "best" ones make the kind of mistakes you saw Losman make this week - see Ben R., Eli Manning, Carson Palmer.

Anyone that doesn't think he has come around in a big way this year is seriously clueless. Just toss in a tape of last years New Orleans or Atlanta game to see the difference. This week he showed that he is able to put up numbers and showed that he can pass in any conditions. He (and the rest of the team) just need more time to get experience and to build chemistry.

When did it become the rule that if you are not perfect you are not good enough for this team?

I understand peoples frustrations with 6 years of losing but I honestly thought there would be a higher percent of people in Buffalo with some football smarts than TSW exhibits.

Bravo! 

Its amazing how little patience and poor memory so many people have.  I'm a Losman fan, but I'm not blind to his struggles.  It seems like many like to be Losman hater, and be completely blind to his progress.  No QB is perfect and it takes several years for them to really come into there own, and even the "best" ones make the kind of mistakes you saw Losman make this week - see Ben R., Eli Manning, Carson Palmer. 

Anyone that doesn't think he has come around in a big way this year is seriously clueless.  Just toss in a tape of last years New Orleans or Atlanta game to see the difference.  This week he showed that he is able to put up numbers and showed that he can pass in any conditions.  He (and the rest of the team)  just need more time to get experience and to build chemistry.

786841[/snapback]

This my friend is a great post. :D Stick around...

I've said it before and I'll say it again now:  If Jim Kelly came to Buffalo today, he'd be run out of town long before he was able to accomplish anything.  Times have changed and not for the better.

786844[/snapback]

Correct, though I wouldn't blame Buffalonians specifically (not really sure if you were). This is probably true for all NFL cities. As late as the 80's when Kelly arrived, everyone recognized that building something great took time. But ever since the salary cap and free agency era in the early 90's, fans have seen teams rise from perennial losers to Super Bowl contenders in 1-2 seasons. So fan patience has naturally diminished across the league.

BTW, nice historical perspective, C.Biscuit97. Maybe there's a fine line between a developing QB talent becoming a Kelly and one becoming an RJ? If so, I think this "X factor" could be personal confidence. And of course, it never helps one's own confidence to know that the coaching staff and teammates will turn on you as soon as you make a mistake.

You never wanna throw any games away and the Bills (and JP) blew a game they dominated.  And as stupid as it is, that press conference should me a ton.  Despite what that fat tub of lard the Coach says, Losman is the anti-RJ.  He just want to win and could care less how he does it.  And I'm proud that he is our QB and have full confidence that he will lead us for many years.  But there will be bumps along the way.  Patience.  :D

786834[/snapback]

JP is no way RJ...not even close. Both had great arms, and the comparisons end there.

I appreciate your Kelly comparison, but you have to remember, those were far different times. When Kelly came to Buffalo, the Bills had been mostly bad for 20 years, and expectations were very low. Kelly, maybe because of his USFL experience, still had his flaws, but was worlds ahead of where JP was in his development. Kelly benefitted from a great GM, some budding elite talent on his team, and a much more stable coaching staff. Though the Bills won only 4 games Kelly rookie season (a 100 percent improvement over the previous two seasons), it was obvious he was an NFL caliber QB from day one. He didn't have to prove himself to anyone, he just took charge. Yeah, he had his game killing ints', but he just had a prescence that no Bills QB has had since. Losman is getting there. He is a much rawer talent than Kelly was.

The impatience with Losman (and McGhahee and everyone else) is partly rooted in that "golden era" of Bills football in the early 1990's. Bills fans got spoiled...we spent a better part of a decade hearing all of the media types telling us what a great franchise we had, how we were well managed, had a great scouting staff, the best conditioning coach in the leauge, the best equipment man in the business, etc etc...all of that ended, while we were still basking in it. I think the Patriots are going to go through this next...

Sorry but I just think quarterbacks should be better than perfect.

If you can throw a tight spiral for a completion once, you can do it again.

A leader makes all the players around him better, so if these guys were going to make mistakes, like missing blocks, a leader would make them better and hence not miss blocks.

How hard is it to see the whole field and all eleven players on it? Every single time we kick off I see the whole field and all eleven players and I'm up in the stands, and not close like a player is.

The teams wear different colors on purpose. I think it's a league rule. How hard could it be, seriously, to throw to the guys on your team and not the other team. Look at your jersey for crissakes.

How hard is it to listen to your coach? Really. How hard is it? I know for a fact that Jauron said to his team, we cannot have mistakes. We cannot turn the ball over. And what did we do? Not listen to the coach. It's inexcusable.

Losman can throw the ball like 60 yards. I have seen him do it. What's a first down? Like ten yards? All he has to do is take a little off the ball and those 60 yarders would be ten yarders. First down every time.

If it's not better than perfect it's inexcusable.

A leader makes all the players around him better, so if these guys were going to make mistakes, like missing blocks, a leader would make them better and hence not miss blocks.

How hard is it to see the whole field and all eleven players on it? Every single time we kick off I see the whole field and all eleven players and I'm up in the stands, and not close like a player is.

The teams wear different colors on purpose. I think it's a league rule. How hard could it be, seriously, to throw to the guys on your team and not the other team. Look at your jersey for crissakes. 

How hard is it to listen to your coach? Really. How hard is it? I know for a fact that Jauron said to his team, we cannot have mistakes. We cannot turn the ball over. And what did we do? Not listen to the coach. It's inexcusable.

Losman can throw the ball like 60 yards. I have seen him do it. What's a first down? Like ten yards? All he has to do is take a little off the ball and those 60 yarders would be ten yarders. First down every time.

786893[/snapback]

Magic.

Spot on. :D

Correct, though I wouldn't blame Buffalonians specifically (not really sure if you were). This is probably true for all NFL cities. As late as the 80's when Kelly arrived, everyone recognized that building something great took time. But ever since the salary cap and free agency era in the early 90's, fans have seen teams rise from perennial losers to Super Bowl contenders in 1-2 seasons. So fan patience has naturally diminished across the league.

Backing up KH's post with some leaguewide perspective: checking out the postgame chatter on the FootballOutsiders site (highly recommended, BTW), I found reports of both Brady and Roethlisberger being booed on their home fields yesterday. And I recall yet again that "fan" is short for "fanatic".

JP hasn't convinced me he's going to be "The Guy". He also hasn't convinced me he won't be. Overall, this was already one of the younger teams in the league even before Troy Vincent went on IR; is anyone surprised they're a little rough around the edges? Some games might be fun to watch, others might be frustrating as all get-out, but at least this season shouldn't be boring. Just buckle the seatbelt and try to enjoy the roller-coaster ride...

P.S.: Nice post, KTFABD. :D

786893[/snapback]

Kelly, when did you go crazy?

:D

Absolutely Excellent post.

Name one QB who has nothing to improve on, even Peyton and the others have their share of bad games, and bad plays during good games. I was only about 3 at the time, but out of curiosity were people claiming at the end of the 80's that JK should be run out of town?

Actually, to me, Sunday DRIPPED with huge potential for this franchise! In many ways this season has been ANYTHING but boring!! If one subscribes to the theory that teams mature over time, then this team is exihibit A. The young QB may have had a game where he matured somewhat and proved that Buffalo weather wasn't a hinderance to his performance. His passes, for the most part, cut right through the wind and rain. Not at all bad, in my book. Willis McGahee has a career day too! The defense has young guns maturing right before our eyes yet somehow this isn't good enough? The question here should be about the future of this franchise, and right now I love the direction their going.... I think it's called "UP".....

He made some of the most beautiful throws I have ever seen (the perfect floater to Reed for a big gain, a 30 yard perfect rope to Price in double coverage that Price dropped, a 50 yard bomb into the wind that was a little to long for Evans). 

786834[/snapback]

Don't forget the hot read TD toss to Parrish as well as the sideline pass to Parrish. Those were awesome passes.

I said it before the season starts: With a QB in his 11th or so start, you are going to see some genius and some stupidity. You just have to hope as a fan that you have more moments of brilliance than idiocy.

On the balance, I think Losman is a MUCH more confident QB than he was last year, and in part I think that's because he knows he's the starter. Under Mularkey, he lived with the constant threat of being pulled from the game. That is horrible, inexcusable. You WANT your QB to play on the edge of being out of control. Like any race car driver, a QB is best when he's on the edge.

Am I the only one who thought JP played amazingly well on Sunday? I was at the game, and I was absolutely marveled by his

- decision-making

- howitzer arm

- ACCURACY

- knowledge of when to throw the ball away when scrambling

- beautiful touch pass to Josh Reed towards the sideline in the second half

- willingness to stay in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield (this alone is LIGHTYEARS ahead of last season)

- competitiveness

- leadership

- moxie

- willingness to put the game on his shoulders

I don't get it. JP played well. He missed one blitz, leading to the first fumble, and he shouldn't have thrown the INT. So fuggin' what. Bledsoe made two of those gaffes per quarter, and Favre still does. Eli is inaccurate. Big Ben is a headcase. Chad has a noodle-arm (we know what will happen to the Jets come December). Daunte is washed-up. Even Brady is playing poorly this season.

I will fuggin say it - I've seen every Bills game for the last 15-16 years - JP is the best we've had since Jimbo, and it's not even close. Maybe that's not saying much, but it's sure as hell encouraging as far as I'm concerned.

I like the rest of your post, but I strongly disagree with the above Joseph. Are you sure about the way it was worded?  :D

786962[/snapback]

Yes. Think about any of the greats...Kelly, Marino, Elway. They were masters of making the high-risk, high-reward play. All too often today in the NFl, coaches put a leash on their QBs for fear of making mistakes. I'm of the opinion that greatness is only possible when risk is maximized.

Yes. Think about any of the greats...Kelly, Marino, Elway. They were masters of making the high-risk, high-reward play. All too often today in the NFl, coaches put a leash on their QBs for fear of making mistakes. I'm of the opinion that greatness is only possible when risk is maximized.

786966[/snapback]

Maybe it is semantics......

Why were Ken Stabler and Montana 10x better than RJ, a player who had tons more talent in terms of arm strength and mobility?

These guys were as calm as it gets under any conditions. They were field generals who were in charge of the huddle. As for Elway, he didn't win the superbowl until he too calmed down and relied on weapons other than his strong arm.

This is what I want from JP. I firmly believe that the only obstacle he faces in terms of development is his head (OK, the OL is another one :D ).

If he can slow down the game, read defenses, and react calmly, he might just be a very good QB at some point. The thing is, this is probably the hard part of developing as an NFL qb.

I don't know about "maximized," but certainly "accepted" or "not shied away from."

786972[/snapback]

It's the same reason that I hate when people B word about rich people. Much of the time, rich people are entrepeneurs who take HUGE risks in founding their own businesses. They DESERVE the rewards they get.

Same thing for a QB. You'll never see a check-down expert like Kelly Holcomb in the HOF. Why? He never gets the big play, the big reward.

This is what I want from JP. I firmly believe that the only obstacle he faces in terms of development is his head (OK, the OL is another one  :D ).

If he can slow down the game, read defenses, and react calmly, he might just be a very good QB at some point. The thing is, this is probably the hard part of developing as an NFL qb.

786974[/snapback]

FINE. But then the ONLY question is whether or not he's hit is ceiling in terms of his development, which I doubt he has. Because his learning curve from last year to this year is undeniably steep and impressive. Even you have to admit this - if he continues the same or a similar pace of maturation, watch out. If not, he'll be as good as a good Jake Plummer on his best days, and as bad as a bad Aaron Brooks on his worst.

For my own sake of mind, I decided to do a comparison between a certain Hall of Fame QB for the Bills and Losman.  For the sake of the argument, I will count the KC game last year as a start for Losman since he played the entire game.  So that would mean he has 12 starts under his belt. 

Using my trusting Restless book (which has every box score of a Bills game from 1960 to 1994), I was able to view how Kelly did his 12th start.  On 11/23/86, the Bills lost 22 to 19 at the Pats (boo    :D ).  In the game, Kelly went 22 for 32 for 250 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT.  Some of the game notes from the game: Kelly was sacked 6 times and killed the final Buffalo chance by throwing an INT.  On the second play of the game, he was sacked and fumbled in the end zone for a safety (a Bills QB getting saftied in NE  0:) ).

Before I get flamed, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying Losman is better than Kelly in anyway.  But I think it is worth noting that Kelly (who was 26 and had a couple of seasons of playing pro football in the USFL) didn't exactly master the NFL by his 12th start.  As much as it sucks, you gotta have some patience.  And if watching that game and don't think Losman can be very good, you're retarded.  He made some of the most beautiful throws I have ever seen (the perfect floater to Reed for a big gain, a 30 yard perfect rope to Price in double coverage that Price dropped, a 50 yard bomb into the wind that was a little to long for Evans). 

You never wanna throw any games away and the Bills (and JP) blew a game they dominated.  And as stupid as it is, that press conference should me a ton.  Despite what that fat tub of lard the Coach says, Losman is the anti-RJ.  He just want to win and could care less how he does it.  And I'm proud that he is our QB and have full confidence that he will lead us for many years.  But there will be bumps along the way.  Patience.  :doh:

786834[/snapback]

I agree, JP showed A LOT more good things than bad in that game. We found out one thing, he can sling it with ease in some of the windiest of conditions. He showed exceptional accuracy with those deep throws. This was really the kind of game I expected to see a lot of this season, knowing how young and weak the Bills are up the entire middle of that defense, and JP showed me he can compete. The only disappointment was the last drive where he struggled with the short throws, but I saw Kelly botch a few final drives in his day as well, it happens. IMO, it's important for a young QB to have a few games like this where he has to chuck the ball around.

Despite what that fat tub of lard the Coach says, Losman is the anti-RJ.  He just want to win and could care less how he does it.  And I'm proud that he is our QB and have full confidence that he will lead us for many years.  But there will be bumps along the way.  Patience.  :D

786834[/snapback]

What DID the old Coach have to say on this? I can only imagine...

Good post BTW

FINE.  But then the ONLY question is whether or not he's hit is ceiling in terms of his development, which I doubt he has.  Because his learning curve from last year to this year is undeniably steep and impressive.  Even you have to admit this - if he continues the same or a similar pace of maturation, watch out.  If not, he'll be as good as a good Jake Plummer on his best days, and as bad as a bad Aaron Brooks on his worst.

786978[/snapback]

I don't disagree with anything there Coach.

Maybe guess the question becomes what we think of his chances?

I for one am split. I think the odds of JP (assuming he is reasonably healthy) becoming a good qb are 50/50.

I am not in the camp that thinks he is certainly destined for greatness, nor the one which wants him benched.

The end of the jests game DID piss me off, but that probably was due to my overall lack of patience, which is not good. :D

I don't disagree with anything there Coach.

Maybe guess the question becomes what we think of his chances?

I for one am split. I think the odds of JP (assuming he is reasonably healthy) becoming a good qb are 50/50.

I am not in the camp that thinks he is certainly destined for greatness, nor the one which wants him benched.

The end of the jests game DID piss me off, but that probably was due to my overall lack of patience, which is not good.  :D

786994[/snapback]

try not to let a 30 mph rainy sideways gust factor into your frustration either. Because that's what was happening on the last drive. Instead, maybe that frustration belongs with the first JP fumble, the INT (to some degree), and the missed 4th down opportunity earlier in the game.

I think someone already did mention the USFL, but it bears repeating. Kelly threw for 9800 yards in those two season in the USFL. 18 games/year, plus 2 playoff games. That was the perfect way for a college guy to get some experience closer to the speed of the NFL. Not quite as fast, but faster than college.

Am I the only one who thought JP played amazingly well on Sunday?

786963[/snapback]

You aren't alone, CT. Most reasonable people see the strides his game has taken with just three starts under a good coach. The handfull of people who don't see that seem to be the loudest, though. And for some, it's not really even about JP Losman, but their own agenda.

I'm glad somebody had the guts to start this post. After the game on Sunday I was thinking about how Jim Kelly had quite a few "good news/bad news games" his first few years here. You'd be cheering one minute then cursing the next with his having a fumble or an interception. Except for a couple of plain bad tosses, Losman showed some awesome throwing ability in the toughest of Buffalo wind conditions.

Another thing, the jury's still out in regards to who got the best QB in the 2004 draft class. Big Ben, Manning and Rivers have yet to prove to me they'll end up being better than JP when their careers are over.

Rothlesberger has looked like crap without Jerome Bettis.

Manning is way too inconsistent, he's a feast or famine player.

Rivers is still an unknown

If JP can keep his turnover totals down, then I like his chances to be the best of the four. I don't know much about Rivers, but JP does throw the ball better than Ben or Eli.

I'm glad somebody had the guts to start this post. After the game on Sunday I was thinking about how Jim Kelly had quite a few "good news/bad news games" his first few years here. You'd be cheering one minute then cursing the next with his having a fumble or an interception. Except for a couple of plain bad tosses, Losman showed some awesome throwing ability in the toughest of Buffalo wind conditions.

Another thing, the jury's still out in regards to who got the best QB in the 2004 draft class. Big Ben, Manning and Rivers have yet to prove to me they'll end up being better than JP when their careers are over.

Rothlesberger has looked like crap without Jerome Bettis.

Manning is way too inconsistent, he's a feast or famine player.

Rivers is still an unknown

If JP can keep his turnover totals down, then I like his chances to be the best of the four. I don't know much about Rivers, but JP does throw the ball better than Ben or Eli.

787083[/snapback]

YOU HOMER!

:D

I think there is one major development I have noticed this year and it is simply that JP looks comfortable on the field. I guess I mean he finally looks like he belongs in an NFL backfield. The rest of his development will come now that he is more at ease with the situations around him.

He made some of the most beautiful throws I have ever seen (the perfect floater to Reed for a big gain, a 30 yard perfect rope to Price in double coverage that Price dropped, a 50 yard bomb into the wind that was a little to long for Evans).

Great post. I agree. And then you add in the running ability to those GORGEOUS throws that you mentioned. I've seen throws like that once before....the guy could run a little too....oh yeah, a young John Elway!!

Count me in the very-encouraged-by-this-game camp. The interception I blame on the play call...I said right before that play, "you had better run it again." The jets were waiting for that play.

On the fumbles....yeah, sucks, but I think its good for building experience. One of them was a missed block by McGahee. I said before the season and I still say it, 8-8 is a successful year for us. I can wait one more year for the playoffs, and I feel like by next year we'll be able to get rid of the mistakes and be real contenders.

JP has impressed me so far this year, and I think he is going to be our QB for a long time.

To some it is all about winning or losing with no in between. If he drives us down that last drive and wins all the mistakes he made that previous drive are all forgotten. Take Carlson Plamer; he fumbled the ball 2 or 3 times and threw 2 picks. But since the Steelers fumbled the ball on 2 straight special teams plays, all he had to do was throw a couple of jump balls that make him look like a hero!

My only gripe with JP so far this year has been clock management as we have had too many timeouts called. Plus the TO he called during that last 2 minute drive was stupid! But he played good against the Pats and wasn't really given a chance to win orlose that game. Against the Dolhphins he played much better than his numbers would indicate. His accuracy is no longer an issue. The turnovers where ones that any QB will make when he gets hit while cocking his arm to throw; its not like he has been known to fumble or throw picks as this hasn't been an issue with him. Since the staff should know his strengths and hopefully would utilize him better he will be a force by the end of this season!

Backing up KH's post with some leaguewide perspective: checking out the postgame chatter on the FootballOutsiders site (highly recommended, BTW), I found reports of both Brady and Roethlisberger being booed on their home fields yesterday. And I recall yet again that "fan" is short for "fanatic".

786906[/snapback]

Ben R was indeed booed...and that was wrong. His physical ailments of late have some bearing - he was 3 of 4 on their first scoring drive, but ended up 15 for 35 after that, but also PGH lost Bettis and Randel-El in the off-season, and Ward doesn't seem to me to be 100%.

The wind was a factor. 45 of the 48 points scored in the game occured when the teams had the wind at their back. Both of Palmer's int's were against the wind, as were 2 of 3 of Ben R's.

Minus points for Cowher et al...B'gals won the toss and received, and PGH chose such that they faced the wind in the 4th quarter.

This is a great post.

I was at the game Sunday, and although depressing, I though JP looked really good.

I was standing in line to buy a beer at one point, and the kid in front of me was litterally crying how bad we needed a different QB. I kept saying who are we going to get, and he could only name QB's with current starting jobs with other teams. I asked him how exactly we were going to get Manning to come here from Indy (I had to clarify wether he meant Eli or Peyton) when that is never going to happen. I kept trying to explain how Jim Kelly (my personal football hero) was not always as good as he might remember and that he grew up a bit when he played in the USFL. This kid would not hear it, and it was depressing that a lot of fans want wins right now, and aren't willing to have a some ups and downs. The problem for us (BILLS) is we have been in the rebuilding phase for way to long. I saw a lot of promise from JP on Sunday, what a change from last year, I'm just hoping the stability of the organization stays for the long run.

Great post!!!!!

GO BILLS

This is a great post.

I was at the game Sunday, and although depressing, I though JP looked really good.

I was standing in line to buy a beer at one point, and the kid in front of me was litterally crying how bad we needed a different QB.  I kept saying who are we going to get, and he could only name QB's with current starting jobs with other teams.  I asked him how exactly we were going to get Manning to come here from Indy (I had to clarify wether he meant Eli or Peyton) when that is never going to happen.  I kept trying to explain how Jim Kelly (my personal football hero) was not always as good as he might remember and that he grew up a bit when he played in the USFL.  This kid would not hear it, and it was depressing that a lot of fans want wins right now, and aren't willing to have a some ups and downs.  The problem for us (BILLS) is we have been in the rebuilding phase for way to long.  I saw a lot of promise from JP on Sunday, what a change from last year, I'm just hoping the stability of the organization stays for the long run.

Great post!!!!!

GO BILLS

787285[/snapback]

Stop that. Stop making sense.