A little comfort

C.Biscuit97

For my own sake of mind, I decided to do a comparison between a certain Hall of Fame QB for the Bills and Losman.  For the sake of the argument, I will count the KC game last year as a start for Losman since he played the entire game.  So that would mean he has 12 starts under his belt. 

Using my trusting Restless book (which has every box score of a Bills game from 1960 to 1994), I was able to view how Kelly did his 12th start.  On 11/23/86, the Bills lost 22 to 19 at the Pats (boo    :P ).  In the game, Kelly went 22 for 32 for 250 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT.  Some of the game notes from the game: Kelly was sacked 6 times and killed the final Buffalo chance by throwing an INT.  On the second play of the game, he was sacked and fumbled in the end zone for a safety (a Bills QB getting saftied in NE  :doh: ).

Before I get flamed, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying Losman is better than Kelly in anyway.  But I think it is worth noting that Kelly (who was 26 and had a couple of seasons of playing pro football in the USFL) didn't exactly master the NFL by his 12th start.  As much as it sucks, you gotta have some patience.  And if watching that game and don't think Losman can be very good, you're retarded.  He made some of the most beautiful throws I have ever seen (the perfect floater to Reed for a big gain, a 30 yard perfect rope to Price in double coverage that Price dropped, a 50 yard bomb into the wind that was a little to long for Evans). 

You never wanna throw any games away and the Bills (and JP) blew a game they dominated.  And as stupid as it is, that press conference should me a ton.  Despite what that fat tub of lard the Coach says, Losman is the anti-RJ.  He just want to win and could care less how he does it.  And I'm proud that he is our QB and have full confidence that he will lead us for many years.  But there will be bumps along the way.  Patience.  :w00t:

786834[/snapback]

Thanks for saying this. I don't know if Losman is going to be a great QB, but I hate the impatience and kvetching on the board about him. I think he's got what it takes, and has shown continual improvement. I want the Bills to win as much as anyone, and their losing sucks, but really can't understand what these people expect.

Thanks for saying this. I don't know if Losman is going to be a great QB, but I hate the impatience and kvetching on the board about him. I think he's got what it takes, and has shown continual improvement. I want the Bills to win as much as anyone, and their losing sucks, but really can't understand what these people expect.

787378[/snapback]

Wow, it's been about six years, but I finally agree with you on something. Good post.

Better than Flutie and Bledsoe? Why stop there?

Might as well declare now that he is an all-time great!  :P

787073[/snapback]

What was the team's potential with either of those two, Bill? Nobody's saying JP's great yet. They're saying he has the potential to be greater than those two. For our team, right now, JP is definitely better than what either of those QBs had to offer, and you have to look at what they were playing with to be fair about it. This is just a silly refrain you're on.

Count me in the very-encouraged-by-this-game camp.  The interception I blame on the play call...I said right before that play,  "you had better run it again."  The jets were waiting for that play.

787240[/snapback]

no way the interception is the play call's fault. the qb should know that throwing into a strong wind into double coverage is a no-no.

Wow, it's been about six years, but I finally agree with you on something. Good post.

787382[/snapback]

I've actually been amused by and in tune with your rants in the last week or so. You go, guy!

We'll leave the politics out of it. :P

787378[/snapback]

Nah, he's already 25 and has yet to win a playoff game. Let's throw him under the bus. NEXT!!!!

:P

(As previously noted: when Kelly was 25, he was still a year away from playing his first game with the Bills...)

What was the team's potential with either of those two, Bill?  Nobody's saying JP's great yet.  They're saying he has the potential to be greater than those two.  For our team, right now, JP is definitely better than what either of those QBs had to offer, and you have to look at what they were playing with to be fair about it.  This is just a silly refrain you're on.

787385[/snapback]

It would depend on the exact time frame about which you are asking, no? Bledsoe is the wrong qb for the current Bills, and Flutie is 90. In this sense, we seem to agree.

The above said, Drew quarterbacked a team (one could make a case for 2) to the superbowl. I am not going to bother linking his stats, but if JP finishes with literally half of what Drew has accomplished (a long shot), it will be considered a good NFL career. So, when you talk about what Drew "had to offer," when is it, now or at some other time?

Flutie played a large roll in taking a team with no blocking and old skill players to the playoffs by scrambling, and tossing a TD to the likes of Jonathan Linton. He came to town as a seasoned pro. It is a shame that he was blackballed.

Guess what? I want JP to succeed as much as you. I put my heart and soul into this football team, just like you. Does this mean that I am absolutely mandated to be of the opinion that JP is bound for Canton?

Look, he just might be, but there are things that he needs to get better at. I suppose that is what this year is for.

I am not angry at JP. I think that the trade that brought him here, and the decision to hand him a starting job were stupid moves. He looks better now than he did last year, and that is good.

We shall see, but forgive me if I am not ready to make a decision on the kid yet, one way or the other.

PS: Yes I did get angry at the end of the game Sunday, but I already admitted that it was partially due to my own impatience.

It would depend on the exact time frame about which you are asking, no? Bledsoe is the wrong qb for the current Bills, and Flutie is 90. In this sense, we seem to agree.

The above said, Drew quarterbacked a team (one could make a case for 2) to the superbowl. I am not going to bother linking his stats, but if JP finishes with literally half of what Drew has accomplished (a long shot), it will be considered a good NFL career. So, when you talk about what Drew "had to offer," when is it, now or at some other time?

Flutie played a large roll in taking a team with no blocking and old skill players to the playoffs by scrambling, and tossing a TD to the likes of Jonathan Linton. He came to town as a seasoned pro. It is a shame that he was blackballed.

Guess what? I want JP to succeed as much as you. I put my heart and soul into this football team, just like you.  Does this mean that I am absolutely mandated to be of the opinion that JP is bound for Canton?

Look, he just might be, but there are things that he needs to get better at. I suppose that is what this year is for.

I am not angry at JP. I think that the trade that brought him here, and the decision to hand him a starting job were stupid moves. He looks better now than he did last year, and that is good.

We shall see, but forgive me if I am not ready to make a decision on the kid yet, one way or the other.

PS: Yes I did get angry at the end of the game Sunday, but I already admitted that it was partially due to my own impatience.

787456[/snapback]

I meant Bledsoe as a Bill. Not for the duration of his career. The other side of the Flutie coin is that he had a superb defense working for him and was markedly ineffective in his second year with the Bills.

I'm glad we both want to see the Bills succeed. :P And I do think that part of JP's problem is the weight of what TD gave up for him and the way in which he and Mularkey completely botched everything last year. Neither of these are his fault. He's got a long ways to go but I like the improvement I'm seeing. I'll point to Lori's note that Kelly was 25 (!) when he came here. Not to be forgotten, I think.

And I do think that part of JP's problem is the weight of what TD gave up for him and the way in which he and Mularkey completely botched everything last year. 

787489[/snapback]

The problem is that Bills fans never heard of the term development.

They assume a player should be HoF material right out of the box, or he's a bust.

I don't know if this goes on in all NFL cities, if so, this has to be the most retarded generation of football fans ever.

I always felt the Bills had intelligent fans, some days around here you wonder.

The problem is that Bills fans never heard of the term development.

They assume a player should be HoF material right out of the box,  or he's a bust.

I don't know if this goes on in all NFL cities,  if so,  this has to be the most retarded generation of football fans ever.

787494[/snapback]

Don't simply blame the fans. All of the pro sports are being filled with rent-a-players. Why should fans have patience and enjoy watching the development of young players that may not be with the same team in a couple of years?

If I was a GM, I would be tempted to skip the first 3 rounds of the draft and spend the money in free agency.

Don't simply blame the fans.  All of the pro sports are being filled with rent-a-players.  Why should fans have patience and enjoy watching the development of young players that may not be with the same team in a couple of years?

If I was a GM, I would be tempted to skip the first 3 rounds of the draft and spend the money in free agency.

787565[/snapback]

That's what the 'Skins do! :P

Don't simply blame the fans.  All of the pro sports are being filled with rent-a-players.  Why should fans have patience and enjoy watching the development of young players that may not be with the same team in a couple of years?

787565[/snapback]

Plenty of free agent busts too.

Plenty of free agent busts too.

787585[/snapback]

Definitely - but not the FAs I would sign :P

I'm not really advocating getting rid of the draft, just pointing out that it's not as fun for me to watch young players mature when there is a good chance they will be wearing another teams jersey in a couple of years.

Definitely - but not the FAs I would sign  :w00t:

I'm not really advocating getting rid of the draft, just pointing out that it's not as fun for me to watch young players mature when there is a good chance they will be wearing another teams jersey in a couple of years.

787607[/snapback]

Not a franchise QB.

Unless he blows out a knee, and gets fellated on a cruise.

:P