Boomer Easison doesn't like JP

seq004

He's on the NFL Preview on WGR right now and when asked where he thought the Jets could take advantage of a weakness he said the passing game and said "I don't have any faith in JP Losman as a NFL QB." I think he said pretty much the same thing last week on TV. What's up with that? He's not putting up big numbers but he's not making the same mistakes he made last year. Also Ive gone over the Miami highlights several times and that IP would have been a TD without a doubt.

He's on the NFL Preview on WGR right now and when asked where he thought the Jets could take advantage of a weakness he said the passing game and said  "I don't have any faith in JP Losman as a NFL QB." I think he said pretty much the same thing last week on TV. What's up with that? He's not putting up big numbers but he's not making the same mistakes he made last year. Also Ive gone over the Miami highlights several times and that IP would have been a TD without a doubt.

783274[/snapback]

Do you really think he's ever watched JP Losman play? And if so, do you really think it was this season?

He shares notes with Pat Kirwan. 0:)

If JP plays horribly this season, they can say they told us so. If JP plays excellently, they'll say they liked this kid all along and knew he'd be an NFL talent from the start.

It's the same BS. What I don't get is why so many people bother to spend their precious breath reading that crap.

He wasn't quite that absolute. I think he said "I have some doubts about JP Losman as an NFL QB" But yeah, apparently he's not a fan. JP can shut them up right away with 1 big stat day. Think how far Holcomb's 2 big stat days in a 10 year career got him. The other way is for him to just keep doing what he's doing and keep on winning - but that could take awhile.

It really does seem like some players can play like absolute crap for years and the media guys go to no end to defend them and act like they're great, while others they declare them losers from the get go and cannot do any right until the media guys have absolutely no choice but to change their public opinions.

He's on the NFL Preview on WGR right now and when asked where he thought the Jets could take advantage of a weakness he said the passing game and said  "I don't have any faith in JP Losman as a NFL QB." I think he said pretty much the same thing last week on TV. What's up with that? He's not putting up big numbers but he's not making the same mistakes he made last year. Also Ive gone over the Miami highlights several times and that IP would have been a TD without a doubt.

783274[/snapback]

If he feels that way about JP then he must feel that way for about 20 starting QBs in the league.

Boomer makes Collinsworth seem like Ned Flanders...he hates pretty much any player these days...he rarely has anyting positive to say about any QB's in particular. I think he knows the X & O's pretty well, but I don't take his critiques about players too seriously....unless he heard this from his old buddy Sam Wyche!

Either way, anyone who has watched every snap that Losman has taken in the NFL, like the majority on this board (unlike the talking heads/analysts who could not possibly watch 12-16 games every week) would have to be blind to not be able to see that he has shown improvement since his disaterous start last year. In fact, he showed major improvement in his second stint as the starter last season, from the way he started out (which was simply awful).

To say that there is no hope for him, at this point, is kind of stupid. He still has a ways to go, but he can build upon the limited success he is having now, and get better.

I listened to the Steelers/Dolphins game on ESPN radio that Boomer called. I still to this day have no idea how he was even able to talk with Daunte Culpepper's c*ck and b*lls in his mouth... no matter what happened Daunte could do no wrong. So it doesn't surprise me that he would say something like that, jackass that he is.

He wasn't quite that absolute.  I think he said "I have some doubts about JP Losman as an NFL QB" 

783280[/snapback]

In that case, you should have doubts about every QB in the league except Tom Brady. He's the only one who's won the Super Bowl, puts up huge numbers, and isn't coming off of injuries.

Ron Jaworski, who I put way more stock in, was creaming about JP after their meeting this year.

Who knows how JP will turn out, but I'll trust Jaws over Boomer and Kirwan any day.

If JP turns out to be a failure, I believe he will have zero excuses. I think Marv, Dick and company have handled him brilliantly so far.

He wasn't quite that absolute.  I think he said "I have some doubts about JP Losman as an NFL QB"  But yeah, apparently he's not a fan.  JP can shut them up right away with 1 big stat day.  Think how far Holcomb's 2 big stat days in a 10 year career got him.  The other way is for him to just keep doing what he's doing and keep on winning - but that could take awhile.

It really does seem like some players can play like absolute crap for years and the media guys go to no end to defend them and act like they're great, while others they declare them losers from the get go and cannot do any right until the media guys have absolutely no choice but to change their public opinions.

783280[/snapback]

I guess I should have put Paraphrasing but yeah I think your right

Hmmphh.

I thought Boomer was a pile of dung for the most part of his nfl playing time.

I could be mistaken though.

However I will admit to thinking he's gotten better as a tv guy over the years.

I feel as if I've said these exact words before though. And not too long ago.

Screw it. I've got a real opinion about Boomer. He's a fag.

He will only make it with pretty boys. Therefore, he is out of our league because we are fooball people!! Not fag people! If you want that kind of sh--, get it in Cinci.

Not around here bro. We'll phuck you up!

Hmmphh.

I thought Boomer was a pile of dung for the most part of his nfl playing time.

I could be mistaken though.

However I will admit to thinking he's gotten better as a tv guy over the years.

I feel as if I've said these exact words before though. And not too long ago.

Screw it. I've got a real opinion about Boomer. He's a fag.

He will only make it with pretty boys. Therefore, he is out of our league because we are fooball people!! Not fag people! If you want that kind of sh--, get it in Cinci.

Not around here bro. We'll phuck you up!

783417[/snapback]

For all of you Boomer haters, just think back to a game in the late 90's at The Ralph when Boomer was quarterbacking the Jets. There was a play where a Jets offensive lineman moved slightly before the snap. Bruce Smith saw the flinch and roared in unblocked from his DE position and laid out Esiason while he was still under center. Boomer was knocked out cold and carted off of the field.

I am never one to wish an injury on anyone but if you hate Boomer that much, think back to that day and smile.

He wasn't quite that absolute.  I think he said "I have some doubts about JP Losman as an NFL QB"  But yeah, apparently he's not a fan.  JP can shut them up right away with 1 big stat day.  Think how far Holcomb's 2 big stat days in a 10 year career got him.  The other way is for him to just keep doing what he's doing and keep on winning - but that could take awhile.

783280[/snapback]

One of KH's big stat days did come in the playoffs... Probably explains it...

0:):P

Esiason, although I commend for the work he has done (similarly to the Kelly family) after the loss of his son, as an analyst, he has a bias against the Bills. Its obvious. He's probably pissed at them, and us as fans because of the way we used to kick the snot out of him every time he came to Orchard Park.

To this day, one my favorite interviews is of Bruce Smith when he describes Esiason as seeing Bruce coming from behind unblocked (how bad is your O line if you're leaving Bruce unblocked) and he sees him coming periperally and all he could come up with is "OH SH*T!%!%!%"

Bruce then absolutely crushes Boomer from the blind side.

Then Bruce let's out a huge smile in the interview.

Amazing, when you think of it, the NFL's all-time sack leader asked to recall his favorite sack, and he chooses that one....I'll bet that really burns Esiason's A$$!!

GO BILLS!

And for this post: "BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!"

783274[/snapback]

Yes, this is a glaring mistake and he should be taken to task for it. He is after all, a national television correspondent and as such should be held to the highest journalistic standards. He should have said, "I don't have any faith in JP Losman as an NFL QB."

Edward R. Murrow no doubt is spinning in his grave. 0:)

If you're more worried about the intent of Mr. Esiason's remarks than the content per se, just remember he hasn't been himself since Bruce Smith tatooed the top of his helmet to Little Boomer's earhole back when Norman was the qb of the jests. He's like Freeman McNeil, Joe Klecko and every other former Jests player who's a pathetic homer commentator and will not say anything positive about the opposition because they're afraid of getting death threats from the rabid Jests fans who have more testicles than IQ points.

783274[/snapback]

I wouldn't sweat it. Esiason usually fellates the Bengals and Jest when talking about them...always has, probably always will. He played for both and is a NYC guy. The Bills are playing the Jest this week, hence his attitude towards JP. It's his opinion, he's entitled to it...even if he is an idiot. 0:)

Let's get realistic here ......... what exactly has JP done to win any non-Bills fans respect?

W-L record of something like 2 - 8 ............... never has put up "steller numbers" to carry the team .... last year cycled between riding the pine and stinking up the playing field ....... and is being protected by a suspect O-line (which always makes a QB look worse than he is.

While I will agree, to us rabid Bills fans, who have the luxury of disecting every little nuance of every Bills play (and sometimes seeing things that are not there and not seeing things that are) have noticed improvement in J.P.s play. But the bottom line is how much time and effort does (or should) a national media "expert" spend on analyzing the play on a borderline player on a poor, small market team.

Until our beloved Bills start to win ..... and I mean win big and often ....... the national media will always ALWAYS dismiss our team and the players on our team out of hand. As far as local media "experts" ..... who has the cajonies to swim up stream and contradict the "big guys" opinions about a team who played so poorly last year ....... basically "cleaned house" in the front office as well as on the field, and is admittadly at the start of a rebuilding process (again for the zillionth consecutive year).

I'm OK with Boomer saying we suck ....... don't even mind if every "expert" who has access to a typewriter or keyboard jumps on the "Bills suck" bandwagon and trashes our owner, GM, coach, and players.

As a Bills fan of long standing I KNOW overcoming all of the negativity will be that much sweeter the higher it is piled on.

Will it be this year????????? ......... I don't know ...... but from watching the last two games I honestly feel we are on the right track, and that day isn't too far in the future.

Let's get realistic here ......... what exactly has JP done to win any non-Bills fans respect?

Couldn't agree more. I like JP and think he could possibly develop into a solid quarterback in this league. He is the hometown guy, if you don't have hope, you don't have anything. With that said, if he was the starter for the Jets right now, I would agree 110% that he sucks.

"I don't have any faith in JP Losman as a NFL QB."

783274[/snapback]

Didn't TKO essentially say the same thing about Whitner, in a backhanded way, when TV was put on IR? It's just vet-speak for "what have you done, kid?"

Until JP shows results on the field, he's not going to get any respect at the national level.

783274[/snapback]

I imagine Boomer sees JP suckin while with Sam Wyche as just sucking period. I'd call it more a compliment to Sam for what Sam did for him...

783274[/snapback]

That's cool because I don't like Boomer Esiason either. He was an overrated, arrogant, choke artist on the field. Now he's just another "passed his time" QB with a big mouth. What a joke. 0:)

For all of you Boomer haters, just think back to a game in the late 90's at The Ralph when Boomer was quarterbacking the Jets. There was a play where a Jets offensive lineman moved slightly before the snap. Bruce Smith saw the flinch and roared in unblocked from his DE position and laid out Esiason while he was still under center. Boomer was knocked out cold and carted off of the field.

I am never one to wish an injury on anyone but if you hate Boomer that much, think back to that day and smile.

783456[/snapback]

I remember that play clear as a bell as I think it was the hardest hit I ever saw anyone lay on another player in person (a Butkus hit literrally killed Chuck Hughes of the Lions and I actually do mean literrally killed him but I heard it on the radio and did not see it).

I forget which fool was HCing the Jets at the time but for some reason he had a rookie LT block Bruce one-on-one (the OL did not slant Bruce's way and there was not even an attempt at a blitz pick-up) and Boomer paid the price.

I actually hope that JP does not set out to prove Boomer wrong by putting up big stats as I think his played sucke last year because he tried to hard. He and TC tried to do things the team simply could not do and this ended up with JP trying to win it all himself and try to do things he couldn't do and we paid the price with Ls.

The way for JP to actually produce a QB rating over 90 is for him to take the same course he took last week and not throw the ball except when he has to or as a change-up.

Its boring and can produce a goshawful QB rating in the first half, but it works and not only will his meaningless stats be better by the end of the game but the team will do well in the ultimate stat which is the comparative score at the end of the game.

I wasn't a fan of the trade up to get JP, the selection of JP, nor giving cutting DB and handing JP the starting job.

JP hasn't impressed me with his play on the field either. The most endearing adjective I can think of for JP is adequate. he's not going to lead the bills to victory. But if he can manage the game adequately and keeps the mistakes down he won't cost the bills many games either

Do you really think he's ever watched JP Losman play?  And if so, do you really think it was this season?

783276[/snapback]

How many hours does anyone think these guys have. They see the highlights and that's about it except for a game or two that they watch just like everyone else.

Think about it, even with tape minus the commercials if you could cut it down to two hours, for 16 games that's 32 hours of back to back viewing. At more than 10 hours per day without breaks that would take three entire days.

These guys just talk outta their buttholes.

I wasn't a fan of the trade up to get JP, the selection of JP, nor giving cutting DB and handing JP the starting job.

JP hasn't impressed me with his play on the field either.  The most endearing adjective I can think of for JP is adequate.  he's not going to lead the bills to victory.  But if he can manage the game adequately and keeps the mistakes down he won't cost the bills many games either

783541[/snapback]

I think the better and more successful football is played by having him manage the games and not make mistakes. Like Bledsoe, i think he makes more mistakes when he tries to hard. They are not good enough players to win it all on their own (but then pretty much nobody is- Elway was one of the best athletes out there by far, but his teams always fell just short until they got outstanding play from teammates like Terel Davis, Sharpe and their D and then they could win it all).

I think JP has actually shown some good abilities and posssibilities in his short career-

1. He really is pliable and does what the coaches tell him-

From him absorbing the lessons which MM ham-handedly exposed him to as rookie like when he threw him into the NE game unexpectedly to take an edge off his cockiness, to Wyche molding him to try things which did not work, to Fairchild remolding him to actually play turnover free ball so far, JP has demonstraed that he will do what he is told to do.

The key is to have a good plan and if the Bills have that JP will run it. The do not make mistakes plan is pretty boring but it is effective so far.

2. He has shown good talent when the play blows up-

I'm sure it is his natural athleticism, built up by having to run for his life and improvise behind a porous Tulane line and he has fortunately survived as a pro since the TV shove in practice dspite his wearing the QB practice tutu, but these and likely other facors have combined to allow him to make plays like the one where Fowler shotgunned it past him and he quickly turned, fielded the bouncing ball, aprinted to the sidelines. and somehhow found Reed for the completion.

These skills and his escapability are great tools to have when the play blows up, he simply has to maintain control such that when the blocking holds but no one is open he either checks down to a safety receiver. runs himself and slides with no hit, or tosses it OB. Its when he has the time to try to make a play when he gets into trouble. He should do this on 3rd or 4th down or the game is ending, but in general it makes more sense to live to fight another day with no play early in the game or on 1st or 2nd down.

3. The no INTs so far is something that even someone who badmouths JP should acknowledge is a positive sign.

He ain't a good one yet, but all the more reason for him not to force it and take what he is given and simply work to not make mistakes.

I remember that play clear as a bell as I think it was the hardest hit I ever saw anyone lay on another player in person (a Butkus hit literrally killed Chuck Hughes of the Lions and I actually do mean literrally killed him but I heard it on the radio and did not see it).

I forget which fool was HCing the Jets at the time but for some reason he had a rookie LT block Bruce one-on-one (the OL did not slant Bruce's way and there was not even an attempt at a blitz pick-up) and Boomer paid the price.

783540[/snapback]

A Wiki search on Chuck Hughes....

While playing for the Detroit Lions, he suffered a fatal heart attack during the final minutes of a game versus the Chicago Bears at Tiger Stadium in Detroit, Michigan. He had run a pass route but was not part of the play, an incomplete pass intended for Lions tight end Charlie Sanders, and pitched forward onto the ground without contact [emphasis mine]. Initially some thought he was faking an injury to stop the clock, but Bears linebacker Dick Butkus frantically signalled for help on the field. It was obvious that he was seriously hurt, and the game was finished in near silence. His teammates were informed of his death before leaving the stadium.

Perhaps the mere presence of Butkus in his vicinity caused the heart attack? :P0:)

I remember Bruce's hit on Boomer. He was lying on the turf like a sack of potatoes. Didn't even want to move and probably didn't know who he was, nevermind where. IIRC the Jets coach was Rich Kotite.

A Wiki search on Chuck Hughes....

Perhaps the mere presence of Butkus in his vicinity caused the heart attack?  :P0:)

I remember Bruce's hit on Boomer. He was lying on the turf like a sack of potatoes. Didn't even want to move and probably didn't know who he was, nevermind where. IIRC the Jets coach was Rich Kotite.

783604[/snapback]

It was on an earlier play that Butkus laid one on Hughes. Hewrote a book about his career where he talked about how he always felt guilty about the earlier hit and his friends kept trying to convince him because Hughes died on a later play with no hit it was not his fault. however, he felt guilty anyway. This may be the reason that he is the only player mentioned as signaling frantically for help after Hughes fell without contact.

PS the fact that it was Kotite that was responsible or this lame match-up makes perfect sense.

It was on an earlier play that Butkus laid one on Hughes.  Hewrote a book about his career where he talked about how he always felt guilty about the earlier hit and his friends kept trying to convince him because Hughes died on a later play with no hit it was not his fault.  however, he felt guilty anyway.  This may be the reason that he is the  only player mentioned as signaling frantically for help after Hughes fell without contact.

PS the fact that it was Kotite that was responsible or this lame match-up makes perfect sense.

783624[/snapback]

I don't think Butkus bears much, if any, responsibility even if he felt he does. Every player takes those risks when they go on the field, then and now. If Hughes felt something was wrong, he sh/wouldn't have stayed in.

Kotite was one link in a long string of disasters by the Jests. Mistakes of which they're repeating today. I don't mind that, tho. 0:)

NY Times abstract....

SPORTS DESK | October 9, 1995

Times Select Content ON PRO FOOTBALL;

Esiason Left Exposed By Kotite's Coaching

By TIMOTHY W. SMITH

Boomer Esiason looked like a ghost as he quickly exited the locker room with an escort by Mike Kensil, the Jets' director of operations. His face ashen, dark shades covering his eyes, Esiason's gait was somewhat unsteady as he walked up the tunnel at Rich Stadium toward the team bus. "I'm really wobbly right now," said Esiason, still groggy from a concussion he suffered on a crushing sack by Bills defensive end Bruce Smith, one that knocked the quarterback out of the game yesterday early in the second quarter.