erry Rice on Bills receivers

Listening to Sirius on the way in, Adam mentioned that he didn't see the bills going anywhere because of its poor offensive line. Rice mentioned the loss of Moulds and his belief that the Bills receiving corps was not very good. He also seemed surprised that the Bills let Posey go. Spoke highly of Dick Jauron as an interviewee. Just didn't see the bills doing anything and did not mention the quarterback. The impression I got was "Even if Losman is good, don't expect the bills to go very far, since the o-line isn't much, the receivers are mediocre and there isn't much to crow about.

I think the Bills are better than THAT...but I gotta admit this is not the year to bet the farm on us making the playoffs.

Disclaimer: My opinion has NOTHING to do with Jerry's comments concerning the Bills' personnel.

Jerry Rice is BRUTAL on the radio. I tried to listen to him a few times and had to turn the channel. He has done NO research on the Bills, I guarantee. Any opinion he gives will be from the standpoint of a primadonna HOFer. He will support veterans (i.e., friends) and talk up those with whom he has had personal relationships.

I don't think we'll make the playoffs either, but because of our QB play not the recievers. Evans is good, but we have no clear #2. Sometimes you wonder how much people like Rice actually research different teams situations, especially teams that are off of the radar -- like the Bills.

Listening to Sirius on the way in, Adam mentioned that he didn't see the bills going anywhere because of its poor offensive line.  Rice mentioned the loss of Moulds and his belief that the Bills receiving corps was not very good.  He also seemed surprised that the Bills let Posey go.  Spoke highly of Dick Jauron as an interviewee.  Just didn't see the bills doing anything and did not mention the quarterback.  The impression I got was "Even if Losman is good, don't expect the bills to go very far, since the o-line isn't much, the receivers are mediocre and there isn't much to crow about.

I think the Bills are better than THAT...but I gotta admit this is not the year to bet the farm on us making the playoffs.

744469[/snapback]

Adam who?

Disclaimer:  My opinion has NOTHING to do with Jerry's comments concerning the Bills' personnel.

Jerry Rice is BRUTAL on the radio.  I tried to listen to him a few times and had to turn the channel.  He has done NO research on the Bills, I guarantee.  Any opinion he gives will be from the standpoint of a primadonna HOFer.  He will support veterans (i.e., friends) and talk up those with whom he has had personal relationships.

744475[/snapback]

Jerry Rice (and maybe even erry Rice) is proof that just because a person is a great football player, it doesn't necessarily mean they are great broadcast announcers. I just can't listen to him stumble through his ANALysis of QBs (they all "have to mature, develop, blah blah blah...") or his far too frequent mispronouncing of players' names.

Maybe it's a San Fran thing? After all, Randy Cross is annoying and Ronnie Lott was perhaps the worst broadcaster of all, and that includes Eric Dickerson ("Al?") and TMEP.

Adam who?

744484[/snapback]

Adam Schein. He's a blustery blowhard who does seem to prepare and possess a good bit of football knowledge, but is also difficult to listen to because he's always yelling.

He was a big Donahoe/Mularkey supporter last year because they were "friends of the show."

I think he's lukewarm on Levy/Jauron.

Adam Schein.  He's a blustery blowhard who does seem to prepare and possess a good bit of football knowledge, but is also difficult to listen to because he's always yelling.

He was a big Donahoe/Mularkey supporter last year because they were "friends of the show."

744492[/snapback]

Thanks! For a moment, I thought Tenny was channeling Eve's husband. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer:  My opinion has NOTHING to do with Jerry's comments concerning the Bills' personnel.

Jerry Rice is BRUTAL on the radio.  I tried to listen to him a few times and had to turn the channel.  He has done NO research on the Bills, I guarantee.  Any opinion he gives will be from the standpoint of a primadonna HOFer.  He will support veterans (i.e., friends) and talk up those with whom he has had personal relationships.

744475[/snapback]

Didn't Jerry Rice and Moulds train somewhere down South a couple of offseasons ago....

Adam Schein.  He's a blustery blowhard who does seem to prepare and possess a good bit of football knowledge, but is also difficult to listen to because he's always yelling.

744492[/snapback]

Thanks to Schein, I've discovered that our first round picks are actually related: Donte Whitner-Reach, and John McCargo-Reach.

744475[/snapback]

Agreed, the only reason he's on the air is his name. All he's doing is taking air time away from someone good like Solomon Wilcots (may have been a marginal player in comparison, but much better on the air IMO).

I don't think we'll make the playoffs either, but because of our QB play not the recievers.  Evans is good, but we have no clear #2. 

744478[/snapback]

Name the #2 WR for the New England Patriots....

Name the #2 WR for the defending super bowl champions the Steelers

Name the #2 WR for the Jacksonville Jaguars

Name the #2 WR for the Miami Dolphins...

Name the #2 WR for the Kansas City Chiefs

These are 5 teams in the AFC who are supposed to be in this years playoffs as per all the pundits on the air waves.....

I think Peerless Price has accomplished much more than any of the #2 WRs on

those "Playoff Sure Cannot Miss" teams in the AFC.....

To say that we won't be a good team because we don't have a #2 WR smacks of these peoples ignorance to shoo off the non-charismatic teams.....

I wouldn't put much stock in anything Rice says. If you spliced together all of the film on the Bills he watched to prepare for this statement my guess is it would be less than 30 seconds, probably about 30 seconds less than 30.

We've got our problems, but Rice has no idea what they are below a very superficial level.

Agreed, the only reason he's on the air is his name. All he's doing is taking air time away from someone good like Solomon Wilcots (may have been a marginal player in comparison, but much better on the air IMO).

744507[/snapback]

It borders on sickening to hear Schein crawl between Jerry's cheeks and pucker up. I always thought Adam was a little "over-excited" but the way he fawns over Rice has knocked his credibility for a loop.

744475[/snapback]

Of course, no nationally recognized football guy could EVER tell the truth about the Bills. It's all a vast media conspiracy to talk sh-- about Buffao.

jees, some of you should really adjust your tinfoil helmets.

When does Riggins get back?  Or, is Rice his replacement?  I sure hope not.  Riggins isn't great, but I mind him a lot less than I do Rice.

Of course, they really need for Shannon Sharpe and Cris Carter to return.

744524[/snapback]

The belchings from Cris Collinsworth and Bob Trumpy afflict us here in Cincy.

744475[/snapback]

Dude, are you Ralph Wilson's butler or driver or something? You got to be on the payroll, right? Jerry Rice's opinion is HIGHYL salient. He has been around -- and is the best player in the games history ever. His opinion stated -- fairly -- that the OL and QB = trouble for a young and average WR core. The WR core here has no large WR -- which are the protypical types now (6-3, 220); nor do they have any experience outside of an average P. Price who can't change directions if his life depended on it. Rices' comments from afar, are right on point. In light of Moulds being gone, the pressure will be even greater on Evans to beat double teams. ANd Passish has to show he can stay healthy. The jury has rendered its verdict on JOsh Reed == great college player, HORRIBLE pro game speed player. Aiken is a spare part. Davis was brought in to sooth KH .

Listening to Sirius...

744469[/snapback]

This just in...ex-players like Rice who are new to broadcasting know zilch about non-marquee players around the league. They haven't had the time or willingness to study teams rosters, or do the scouting that would allow their opinion to matter.

I don't think we'll make the playoffs either, but because of our QB play not the recievers.  Evans is good, but we have no clear #2.  Sometimes you wonder how much people like Rice actually research different teams situations, especially teams that are off of the radar -- like the Bills.

744478[/snapback]

Actually, I also do not think we will make the playoffs but this will not be because of any one unit or one player failure (we love to have one hero or one guy to blame since our brains are to small to focus on two or more people (unless they are fighting then we can focus on two sides, but if there are more than two sets of interests we still boil it down to one side is good and the other is evil in orderto avoid the complexities of understanding multiple interests).

I think the problem that the Bills will have to overcome in order to be productive is having multiple items function together rather than have one unit be stars or one unit drag it all down.

The whole can actually be much greater than the sum of the parts.

If the Bills get good (but not great or even very good) play from the receivers, AND good play (but again not great or even bery good)from the OL, and good play (and again not great and not even very good) from McGahee as a receiver, AND get good play design and play calling (again the same) from Fairchild, I think good performance in all of these areas will produce a very good result and very good performance in all of these areas will produce a great result.

The QB is obviously important in this because he is the conduit for all of this action and he touches the ball on most offensive plays.

However, I think the QB can be simply adequate as a player on the field (not great, not very good, or not even good) if he does a good enough job at being a conduit for the team to do their stuff.

I think the Bills are trying tio set-up to win even if the QB proves to be not very good on the field this year but does not make mistakes and is simply adequate. This seems like a reasonable strategy to me in that I think JP will have growing pains even if he is one day a good or very good player, I think it is doubtful that our QB will be anything more than adequate this year as he develops.

Dude, are you Ralph Wilson's butler or driver or something?  You got to be on the payroll, right?  Jerry Rice's opinion is HIGHYL salient.  He has been around -- and is the best player in the games history ever.  His opinion stated -- fairly -- that the OL and QB = trouble for a young and average WR core.  The WR core here has no large WR -- which are the protypical types now (6-3, 220); nor do they have any experience outside of an average P. Price who can't change directions if his life depended on it.  Rices' comments from afar, are right on point.  In light of Moulds being gone, the pressure will be even greater on Evans to beat double teams.  ANd Passish has to show he can stay healthy.  The jury has rendered its verdict on JOsh Reed == great college player, HORRIBLE pro game speed player.  Aiken is a spare part.  Davis was brought in to sooth KH .

744535[/snapback]

Jerry Rice's opinions lost all credibility when he questioned losing Jeff Posey. That clearly shows that he isn't following the Bills closely. I have also listened to him numerous times and he rarely if ever gives anything but the most generalized analysis of play.

As to your opinion on this matter, yes the Bills are questionable at WR. But they are far from a guaranteed washout. Your analysis also lost all credibility when you claimed Peerless Price can't change direction if his life depended on it, it's one of the few things he does very well. The Carolina Panthers, one of the best teams in the NFL, targeted Reed as their top free agent acquisition to fill their need for a possession guy. They obviously didn't think he was a horrible pro game player. Davis was brought in to sooth Holcomb? Why does Holcomb need soothing? Why would that guy be Davis? Because he had one decent season four years ago? The Bills receiving corps will be unconventional because they are somewhat counting on one #2 and three or four #3 WRs to man the #2 and #3 and #4 and #5 spots but they all have legitimate NFL talent. If Aiken plays the way he has in camp and the one game, the Bills could have quite a good WR unit.

Name the #2 WR for the New England Patriots....

Name the #2 WR for the defending super bowl champions the Steelers

Name the #2 WR for the Jacksonville Jaguars

Name the #2 WR for the Miami Dolphins...

Name the #2 WR for the Kansas City Chiefs

These are 5 teams in the AFC who are supposed to be in this years playoffs as per all the pundits on the air waves.....

I think Peerless Price has accomplished much more than any of the #2 WRs on

those "Playoff Sure Cannot Miss" teams in the AFC.....

To say that we won't be a good team because we don't have a #2 WR smacks of these peoples ignorance to shoo off the non-charismatic teams.....

744511[/snapback]

You missed the point I guess. While most folks cannot name the #2 on a lot of teams, most other teams fans cannot name our #1.

744475[/snapback]

I y'know think that y'know Jerry y'know Rice is like y'know fingernails on a y'know blackboard.

In my opinion receiving isn't the glaring weak spot on the team. Evans is going to be good (for sure) and I'm pretty comfortable that Reed, Price or Aiken will step up. I have wished for a killer tight end since the day Drew Bledsoe came to the Bills, but you can't have everything. I do agree with Adam Schein (so that's his name.) that its the o-line that is the Achilles (don't know his last name) heel on the team.

Of course, no nationally recognized football guy could EVER tell the truth about the Bills. It's all a vast media conspiracy to talk sh-- about Buffao.

744528[/snapback]

No, you should adjust your reading glasses. Gimme a !@#$ing break, Joe. Do you even READ what I post? Have you listened to Jerry Rice? It has nothing to do with the Bills -- he's absolutely terrible. I believe the other responses to this thread back me up here.

No, you should adjust your reading glasses.  Gimme a !@#$ing break, Joe.  Do you even READ what I post?  Have you listened to Jerry Rice?  It has nothing to do with the Bills -- he's absolutely terrible.  I believe the other responses to this thread back me up here.

744552[/snapback]

I do read what you post. And tell me, exactly what's wrong in Jerry Rice's statement?

You think our WR corps is tops in the division? How about the conference? The league?

Sure he's effed in the head for saying losing Posey was a bad thing. But he's spot on when it comes to his assessment of the WRs. We don't know what Evans will do as #1. We know what Peerless can do as a #2, if he has an adequate #1. Beyond that, the guys we have we know NOTHING about.

In my opinion receiving isn't the glaring weak spot on the team.  Evans is going to be good (for sure) and I'm pretty comfortable that Reed, Price or Aiken will step up.  I have wished for a killer tight end since the day Drew Bledsoe came to the Bills, but you can't have everything.  I do agree with Adam Schein (so that's his name.) that its the o-line that is the Achilles (don't know his last name) heel on the team.

744550[/snapback]

I agree - the wr's aren't the top bunch out there, but I think there would be several clubs that would be more than happy to swap their crew for Buffalo's.

Dude, are you Ralph Wilson's butler or driver or something?  You got to be on the payroll, right?  Jerry Rice's opinion is HIGHYL salient.  He has been around -- and is the best player in the games history ever.  His opinion stated -- fairly -- that the OL and QB = trouble for a young and average WR core.  The WR core here has no large WR -- which are the protypical types now (6-3, 220); nor do they have any experience outside of an average P. Price who can't change directions if his life depended on it.  Rices' comments from afar, are right on point.  In light of Moulds being gone, the pressure will be even greater on Evans to beat double teams.  ANd Passish has to show he can stay healthy.  The jury has rendered its verdict on JOsh Reed == great college player, HORRIBLE pro game speed player.  Aiken is a spare part.  Davis was brought in to sooth KH .

744535[/snapback]

Thanks for proving once again that you lack basic reading comprehension and writing skills. Oh, and there's also the complete lack of football knowledge.

But, you do apparently enjoy the Dukes of Hazzard a great deal...so you've got that going for you.

Please stay away from sharp metallic objects. I know they're pretty to look at, but you may poke an eye out.

was adam shein once one of the voice of the orange on FM88?

744492[/snapback]

744528[/snapback]

C'mon Randy, let's hear some of your first rate heckling:

"He wants the righty! The Vile thing!"

What is everyone supposed to think.

We went 5-11, then we released Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, Jeff Posey, and traded Eric Moulds.

So in most people minds, we are a 5-11 team that released 4 of its "best" players and replaced them with "average" talent.

We had a "bad" draft.

We have a "senile" owner.

In everyones eyes, the Bills got worse, which means they think we are worse than 5-11 based on the offseason.

What everyone says doesnt mean anything, but what else would you expect right now?

744475[/snapback]

...and he's a $h!tty dancer!

PTR

If the patriots have taught us anything its that you don't need 2 great receivers, just 5 decent ones.

744580[/snapback]

Troy Brown had 93 catches a few yrs back -- a pro bowler. Branch was the Super Bowl MVP. Givens was solid. David Patton was underated. Their TEs WERE AWESOME!

TAlented players stand out. THey really do...

:rolleyes:  :w00t:

I just hate blind homerism. There's no national conspiracy among the press. Most of them don't CARE about the Bills.

744582[/snapback]

It's not homerism to say that Jerry Rice sucks as an broadcast announcer. If you have Sirius, give him a listen and you'll see.

I have a great way for you to save everyone a whole bunch of time and bandwidth. Since 95% of your posts are about how much our players suck, why don't you just respond with "OPS" (our players suck) whenever you feel like posting. The abbreviation would be exactly the same as your usual drivel, and save everyone time.

744535[/snapback]

It's not homerism to say that Jerry Rice sucks as an broadcast announcer.  If you have Sirius, give him a listen and you'll see.

744587[/snapback]

He does suck as a broadcaster, no one's disputing that. What I'm disputing is eball's insistence that the guy knows NOTHING about our WRs. You don't have to look too deeply to see it isn't a very high-profile or high-production squad. I daresay even John Clayton could see that.

He does suck as a broadcaster, no one's disputing that. What I'm disputing is eball's insistence that the guy knows NOTHING about our WRs. You don't have to look too deeply to see it isn't a very high-profile or high-production squad. I daresay even John Clayton could see that.

744592[/snapback]

I haven't seen anything out of these guys yet for THIS SEASON. We stunk up the joint last year, and the year before (yeah, we were 9-7, but got smacked back to reality by the 3rd team of the Stillers), and the year before, etc. That's over w/. This is a new year under a new coach in a new system. If they turn out to suck, then I'm sure everyone here will have @ 'em. What annoys me is the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude many here seem to have. That, to me, is the difference between being a realist about the Bills and being a disciple of the Randy Quaid character from Major League.

What I'm disputing is eball's insistence that the guy knows NOTHING about our WRs.

744592[/snapback]

NO one knows what the Bills WR group is going to be like, including the coaching staff, TSW-ers, et all. But Rice's remarks smack of a 10-second look at the roster rather than any "insight" from playing the game.

How many All-Pro receivers in the league have much knowledge about the other team's WRs, other than guys they've met from the Pro Bowl or who've played long enough to have name recognition. It's not like Rice spent much time watching opposition WRs during his career. I doubt he's familiar with more than 20% of WRs league-wide.